PDA

View Full Version : Selling a rifle and need advice.

nathaniel
November 1, 2012, 09:01 AM
I am selling a few rifles and am worried about the buyers saying its not good enough or its defective. One is a mosin nagant and the other is a marlin 1895 cowboy. Is there some kind of form they can sign to protect me as the seller? I know both of the guns are sound and function fine.

Don H
November 1, 2012, 11:15 AM
Make up your own form (Bill if Sale) stating that you are selling the rifle as-is, you make no claims as to functionality, accuracy or suitability and the buyer has inspected the rifle and accepts it in the condition presented. Include whatever other information you desire to retain (buyer's name, etc.) and have the buyer sign it.

Technosavant
November 1, 2012, 11:56 AM
Yeah, a bill of sale is usually worthwhile. One copy for you (to prove you sold it and when) and one for the new owner (to prove ownership).

They generally have the following:
- Description of the firearm (even if just make/model/serial number)
- Statement that the firearm is purchased as is, no warranty
- Statement that the buyer asserts he/she is legally permitted to purchase and own such a firearm
- Date of transaction
- Names of seller and buyer, sometimes even address of the buyer

That way both of you are covered.

carguychris
November 1, 2012, 03:10 PM
+1 to both Doc H and Techno.

In addition, I've recently added a clause to my firearm bill of sale stating that "The Buyer is responsible for verifying that this firearm is functional and safe to fire."

davem
November 1, 2012, 03:14 PM
I've thought about that aspect. I've only sold one gun and I held the money a day or two in case the buyer wasn't happy. If possible, I'd meet at a shooting range so that the buyer can see the gun is functioning okay.

Eppie
November 1, 2012, 03:16 PM
Here's what I use:http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=84577&stc=1&d=1351800938

Aguila Blanca
November 1, 2012, 04:36 PM
Any used firearm I have ever seen offered for sale by a private seller has been with a 3-day inspection period (not to include firing). Once the three days have passed, that's the end of the seller's responsibility.