PDA

View Full Version : Pre-64 300 H & H Magnum

justabagoftricks
October 31, 2012, 06:22 PM
Hi. My father has decided to give away his guns to his children since he is getting older. Since I am the only one of his kids that hunt, he gave me first choice of his hunting rifles. The one that I wanted and chose was a 1950 Pre-64 Winchester 300 H & H Magnum. Now that I have the rifle, I would like to put a scope on it. I currently hunt with a 30-30 that has a scope but sometimes that shots are a little too far for that caliber. Anyway, there are two threaded holes in front of the bolt on top but on the back of the bolt there is two holes on the side. Is there any way to mount a scope on this gun (preferably a modern scope) by using the existing holes? I really don't want to change the gun by having a hole drilled and tapped on top. I hope the pictures can give an idea what I am talking about. Thanks.

30-30remchester
October 31, 2012, 08:14 PM
Your rifle should have holes drilled on the rear bridge as well. Modle 70's were drilled for modern scope bases by 1946, so you wont have to drill anything. Scope bases are currently produced by Leupold and Weaver. The holes on the side are for a reciever sight. You choose wisely. Your rifle is the king of commerial bolt guns. The Riflemans Rifle is it nickname. Any alteration will severly reduce value. How about some complete photos?

Slamfire
October 31, 2012, 08:26 PM
These older M70's were either used with long tube scopes that used dove tails on the barrel and the receiver ring, or used a wierd scope base. I looked for pictures of Noske, or any pre war mounts, could not find one.

The holes on the left rear of the receiver were for the Lyman 48WJS iron sight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M70%20pics/Pre64sshowingrearsightmounts.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M70%20pics/IMG_0004postwarreceivertop.jpg

You either have to find a vintage mount and scope (cost between ouch! & Bong!) or drill and tap the receiver bridge for a modern mount.

Drilling and tapping will just about halve the collector's value of a pristine pre 64, so think carefully about this.

justabagoftricks
October 31, 2012, 08:44 PM
Here are some more pictures of the rifle. I really don't want to drill and tap it although to shoot at long distances with open sights isn't much of an option either. If I decide to spend the money on a mount that will fit this gun without drilling a tapping it, how difficult is it to find the mount?

justabagoftricks
October 31, 2012, 08:50 PM
Here are a few more pictures.

Jim Watson
October 31, 2012, 09:06 PM
There was a period scope mount that attached to the receiver sight screw holes and either the front receiver ring holes or to a base in the rear sight dovetail. A Stith Instal It Yourself mount, I believe. It would be a good trick to find one and then you would have to have a suitable scope, one without an enlarged objective bell, which would limit you to maybe 3X.

Jimro
October 31, 2012, 10:02 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/626728/leatherwood-hi-lux-william-malcolm-usmc-sniper-rifle-scope-3-4-tube-8x-31mm-23-long-fine-crosshair-reticle-with-external-ring-mounts-1-2-dovetail-matte-steel

This is the type of scope Jim Watson was referring to, and it will fit fine. Keep the rear sight that is removed to make way for the front scope base.

Jimro

Slamfire
November 1, 2012, 09:59 AM
Does not look like your rifle has been cut down or a rubber recoil pad added. It is easily a $1,000 dollar rifle. The 300 H&H is an uncommon chambering. Muck with it and the value will drop.

Mike Irwin
November 1, 2012, 10:06 AM
"There was a period scope mount that attached to the receiver sight screw holes and either the front receiver ring holes or to a base in the rear sight dovetail. A Stith Instal It Yourself mount, I believe."

Bingo! I couldn't remember Stith. I was sitting here going S.... S.... S... damn it, I know the name!

Yes, Stith made mounts that used the side holes.

They worked, but they weren't the most stable.

On the plus side, you won't pay a lot for one of these mounts. I've seen them go for $40 and $50, and they seem to be relatively common.

The the minus side, they have not been made for years, and you'll have to have patience in finding one.

Check E-Bay, Gunbroker, and Auction Arms.

Jim Watson
November 1, 2012, 10:10 AM
Actually, not, Jimro. That is a knockoff of a Unertl target scope. At one time you could get bases for it that would fit the receiver ring and rear sight dovetail. So it could be made to work if you could find those bases.

What I referred to was like the one advertised here:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bear-Cub-Master-6x-rifle-scope-Stith-Kollmorgen-Vintage-Winchester-70-mounts-/170931917226?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cc5611aa

It uses the receiver ring holes and the left side peep sight holes.
There is also a version that has a long sleeve that goes over the objective end and sets in the open sight dovetail.

30-30remchester
November 1, 2012, 05:13 PM
Does everyone see what I see? A type 3 action WITHOUT the rear bridge drilled. All type 2 actions had the rear bridge drilled. In 45 years of collecting and studying model 70's, I have never seen or heard of a type 3 action not drilled. Could we please get a close up photo of the rear bridge?

justabagoftricks
November 1, 2012, 08:37 PM
Here are some more pictures of the rifle. What is the difference between a type 2 and type 3 action?

justabagoftricks
November 1, 2012, 08:39 PM
One more picture.

justabagoftricks
November 1, 2012, 08:51 PM
The bases that are for sale on ebay; would it fit the long action found on a 300 H & H magnum or would it only fit a short action such as a .270. Would I need to measure the distance between the receiver ring holes and the left side peep holes?

Scorch
November 1, 2012, 08:52 PM
I see them all the time with the front ring drilled/tapped and the rear bridge not drilled/tapped on top. That was actually normal for a few years after WW2. But it's probably not something most people look for.

George4376
November 1, 2012, 09:05 PM
Your rifle is a 100% original Model 70 in a not too common caliber,with a undrilled rear receiver.I would leave it alone in the original condition,many have had recoil pads added,receivers drilled and tapped which reduces the value.

Buzzdoc
November 1, 2012, 09:26 PM
This is a rifle passed from your father to you.

Can you conceive of a time that you might want to sell the rifle, or do you see it being passed on through the family?

If you may sell it some day, leave it alone. If you plan to keep it in the family, tap it, install modern rings and a scope, and make the rifle useful for you. Would you rather think of you father every time you pull the trigger on a rifle you can use, or every time you open the door and look at your safe queen? Yes you may devalue the rifle, but we aren't talking about a Purdey here.

The flaming begins in 3..2..1..

30-30remchester
November 1, 2012, 10:14 PM
As stated I have seen probably a thousand early model 70,s over the years and never a type 3 without rear bridge drilled. Quite unusal. A normal model 70 base will not fit a magnum action rifle. Tne only solution that wont severly reduce values is to aquire a STITH mount from ebay or like auction sites and instead of using the old stlyle front " ring" instead use the front base and ring of a modern mount and use the STITH rear mount that uses the existing reciever sight holes. This will allow a standard 2 occular scope and a sturdier set up. Even though STITH bases are expensive, drilling an undrilled base is far more expensive in reduced collector value.

Jimro
November 2, 2012, 02:39 PM
Jim Watson,

That scope is a reproduction of the Unertl the USMC used on their 30-06 M70 rifles in the 50's and 60's. I linked to it as an example of something that would be "period correct" and have the forward scope mount in the rear sight dovetail.

Jimro

RevGeo
November 3, 2012, 10:33 AM
+1 for what Buzzdoc said. I inherited several of my father's rifles and some I kept original and some I altered for my use. Value - schmalue; it was Dad's gun and now it's mine.
What a cool gun! A pre-64 Mod 70 in 300H&H is about as righteous as it gets. What a wonderful big game rifle. Enjoy your gun, it's a great one.

30Cal
November 5, 2012, 06:54 PM
Should be easy to hit stuff at 400+yds with irons. I'd enjoy it as-is.

warbirdlover
November 6, 2012, 03:26 PM
I would have the back receiver top drilled and tapped by a gunsmith so you could use standard bases.

Or a gunsmith could probably make you a rear base that would allow you to use standard rings.

GeauxTide
November 6, 2012, 09:14 PM
You do have a rare M70; however, if the stated purpose is to hunt, TAP it! The value is not the gun, it's from your father. I surmise that it will stay in your family. The 300 needs a scope and good reloads for a truly marvelous hunting rifle.