PDA

View Full Version : Sanding black phosphate off a Glocks slide ?

JMack
December 18, 2000, 01:36 PM
I have a pretty beat looking G23 with the black wearing off in a bunch of places. At first I was thinking of getting it hard chromed but then I started hearing that the tennifer finish under the black is much harder than Chrome and I should stick with that.

I have been advised that by taking some fine sandpaper and a little oil I could sand the black right off the slide and get a nice bright polished (stainless steal) looking color on the slide.

I am sure their is people out there who have done this but I just want to make sure its an OK thing to do, I carry a G27 so this 23 will be mainly a range gun.

If anyone here has done this I would love to hear any tricks you may have used along the way when doing this.

It sure will feel wierd having a two toned Glock!

Thanks a million,
~Jason

JMack
December 18, 2000, 01:49 PM
I tried to delete this duplicate post but it wont let me. Sorry for the mess.

seadog
December 18, 2000, 01:57 PM
I removed the sights of my Glock 26 and took a Dremel buffing wheel to the slide. I figured what the H**L, it would only cost 45 bucks to get it refinished. It takes a little while on the slowest speed, but I got all the phospate off. Now people see it and wonder how much I paid to get it "Two-toned". It is a little bit grayer still than hard chrome, but looks good. Trijicons went on it after that. It had looked like crap after some holster wear over time, but now the holster shows no adverse effect on the tenefer itself. I would not recommend doing it with sandpaper...

Mal H
December 18, 2000, 05:38 PM
Closing duplicate thread.

Please add all responses here: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=50482

seadog - If you want you can copy/paste your reply to the other one and I will delete this thread. Otherwise I'll just leave this one closed so your reply isn't lost.