PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Ruger 10/22 - Please help

MTG
October 25, 2012, 06:29 PM
Been wanting one for a while but tons of options....so many that I'm lost. I try to find a purpose for buying a specific gun (besides the fact that I love shooting) and I guess the 10/22 would fall into the SHTF category. So what do I need, and maybe more importantly, what don't I need? I'm not looking for any fancy gadgets...just pretty basic. Here's what I've got so far:

Light weight

Sling attachment (not sure if all 10/22 stocks have attachments)

Durable - this seems to be the most important...assuming this will affect the type of stock

Reliable (pretty sure this is covered by the fact it's a 10/22...or at least most)

I don't care if I can shoot a match stick at 100 yards...think a softball size target should work just fine so I'm guessing just about any barrel would be accurate enough (if I do my part).

Ideally, a scope for 75-100 yards sounds like a good idea but with the option for iron sights at shorter distances. Maybe a scope on the top rail with iron sights to the side at an angle?

I've seen 10/22's ranging from $179-$1700...no idea which parts are really important in what I'm looking for, so any suggestions would be appreciated!

SteelChickenShooter
October 25, 2012, 06:40 PM
I like the thinner synthetic black stock and stainless over the fatter wood stock and blued. I also prefer a Timney trigger replacement. A Simmons AO scope is fine and it has been rated as among the best of low cost rimfire scopes. I'm very well pleased with mine as described.

raimius
October 25, 2012, 06:41 PM
I'd go for a relatively basic one. Throw on a Hogue overmolded stock for $60 if you don't like the original.
They come with a top rail, that you can screw in, if you want (at least, mine did a couple years ago). The basic sights work, but I didn't like them that much. You could replace them with Tech-sights, a red-dot, or scope. If you intend it to be a small-game type gun, I'd go for a red-dot or scope for the convenience factor.

Start simple, and figure out what you want. That's the beauty of a 10/22, you can tinker with it, if you don't like something.

Pahoo
October 25, 2012, 07:05 PM
Light weight. .... YEP
Sling attachment (not sure if all 10/22 stocks have attachments) YEP

Durable - this seems to be the most important...assuming this will affect the type of stock. .. Many options here and the Hogues are very nice

Reliable (pretty sure this is covered by the fact it's a 10/22...or at least most)
Quality is still good enough but the older ones are better. ... ;)

I don't care if I can shoot a match stick at 100 yards...think a softball size target should work just fine so I'm guessing just about any barrel would be accurate enough (if I do my part). NOT A PROBLEM

Ideally, a scope for 75-100 yards sounds like a good idea but with the option for iron sights at shorter distances. Maybe a scope on the top rail with iron sights to the side at an angle? TOO TRICKY AND SOUNDS LIKE YOU MIGHT GO TACKTICAL.

You don't need a Target model so I would recommend one with a Sporter stock. As far as a scope, a Simmons variable with no higher than 10X and 40MM will do just fine. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

bedlamite
October 25, 2012, 07:19 PM
I'd go with a 1.5-4.5 Bushnell scope (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/748138/bushnell-banner-rifle-scope-15-45x-32mm-wide-angle-multi-x-reticle-matte). Leave it set at 1.5 and you can shoot close range with both eyes open, and 4.5 is enough for any shot a 22 can do.

AZAK
October 25, 2012, 07:48 PM

Don't believe that they come set up for slings.

And I just bought my most recent 10/22 addiction I mean addition this week; added to the several that I have picked up and modified over the years, and none of them came set up for a sling from the factory.

Way too many possible options for advising you on how to go. I have a 10/22 that has literally one original Ruger part left on the rifle (and that would be the receiver), and the exact 180 degree opposite a completely stock one that I bought new this week.

Without further info, I would advise picking up the carbine version (in either blue or stainless - wood or poly stock) and just start playing; take it out and shoot the daylights out of it, then see what you might want to change. It can become a bit of an obsession which will require multiple 10/22s in the long run; ask me exactly how I know this! (The two mentioned earlier are just the tip of the iceberg as it were.)

jmr40
October 25, 2012, 07:55 PM
Some models come with sling studs, but the basic models do not. I like the SS standard model in a Hogue stock. By the time you buy studs for a sling you have a good start on the price of the Hogue that comes with them. Other than adding a low powered 1-4X or 2-7X scope nothing else really needs to be done.

AZAK
October 25, 2012, 08:09 PM
Just visited ruger.com and looked at the 10/22s. Sure enough some of them do come ready for a sling. I guess that I just have never bought one of those, all of mine have not had studs; and I have bought a few over the years.

LockedBreech
October 25, 2012, 08:12 PM
I love my all weather stainless/synthetic. Very tough little gun, can't see how I'd hurt it.

m_liebst
October 25, 2012, 08:53 PM
Get the allweather stainless. I have a this one all stock, except for Nikon 4 x 32 rimfire scope. On average I can group .80 inches at 50 yards with 5 shots using non premium HV ammo- ( CCI minimags, and Blazers ). With that I'm sure you'll be anchor rounds into a softball fairly easily if there's little wind.

It's fairly light and the 10 shot flush rotary mag is an ingenious achievement of the 10/22.

Only thing I'll do eventially is a triggerjob. Thats the only downside of the stock 10/22. Otherwise- ya have unlimited upgrade options, included sight rail, and a rifle that will shoot even the crap bulk ammo.

1st pic is 5/8ths inch group at 50 y. with CCI minimags
2nd pic is .75 inch group with CCI Velocitors

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s509/kevinmcnamee/20121014_131022.jpg

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s509/kevinmcnamee/20121025_152146.jpg

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s509/kevinmcnamee/20121020_180149.jpg

wlkalong
October 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
For an emergency situation gun- the 10/22 is hard to beat. Can be used for self defense or hunting as needed. Great for practice and plinking.

Just last week I finished my 10/22. After doing a lot of research, I went with the following.

Ruger 10/22 compact (16 inch barrel). Very good sights, accurate barrel, light weight.

Butler Creek folding stock- when folded it will easily fit into a back pack. It has sling attachment points as well. I actually liked the wood stock the gun came with so much, I almost didn't want to switch it out, but I wanted the portability.

I added a Nikon 3-9 Rimfire Scope. Pretty good scope, though I really wished I had bought a second Vortex Viper 2-7 when they were on close out.

I replaced the recoil buffer and extractor with Volquartsen parts. I replaced the hammer with a Volquartsen target hammer- which significantly reduced trigger pull. Lots of videos on the net on how to do the work, which is not that hard. I highly suggest doing these mods, plus it gives you spare parts just in case.

I bought Ruger 10 round magazines and three 25 round mags from Tactical Innovations (they are supposed to be a little better then the Ruger 25 rounders, but only time will tell).

The gun was great stock, but even better with the upgrades. I cannot recommend the 10/22 compact model enough. It is really nice and worth waiting for if not in stock. The gun is perfect as a back pack/survival gun, with the 25 round mags and high velocity ammo, it will work as self defense gun. With sub-sonic rounds, the scope and recoil buffer- a very quiet hunting weapon. Most of all, it's a lot of fun.

Metal god
October 25, 2012, 10:33 PM
yea get a stock 10/22 SS is always better . then get the ATI stikeforce stock for it . It's the only one I can think of that you will be able to put the 45 degree mounts on for the iron sights http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/118-ATI-RUG-1022-B.html

Now thats a cool looking gun

Venom1956
October 25, 2012, 11:00 PM
sorry but 45 degree sights on a 10/22 would be cheesy as hell. :rolleyes:

Just use a 1-4x scope or a RDS. or a QD scope mount and some irons.

replacement stocks are plentiful if that's your thing. Just remember they all aren't equal in quality.
http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/images/ar22-kit-mid.jpg
Nordic chassis is solid all aluminum I have one.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_230015_999_01?rgn=0,0,2000,403&scl=3.8095238095238093&fmt=jpeg&id=1GJCgssVrscN2F48u_0qW6
Cheaper Archangel is plastic Don't have one but many like it, Didn't appeal to me.
http://www.zimmermanarms.com/images/stories/tactical/tactical-match-demo.jpg
You can look into Zimmerman Arms also. He builds '10/22' receiver that have a monolithic rail built in. You don't even need get the Ruger rifle.

Sounds like your into the tacticool thing so those 3 popped into my head.

cajun47
October 26, 2012, 07:26 AM
when i buy ammo for any gun i have shtf on my mind. .22lr is great cause you can stock up on ten thousand rounds for cheap. but which .22lr ammo is good for hunting as well as shooting bad guys. even if i have bigger and better guns, i still want a stockpile of .22lr thats the most deadly. for cheap.

when i gator hunt with my brother i bring my s&w 22a(5" barrel ?). i use it to shoot gators from 5 to 8 feet long, in the head through the scull plate, not the soft spot behind it.

i tried several brands of round nose ammo including cci and they all failed to kill the gator with one shot. the federal 550 bulk hp works great. instant stop with one shot every time. i never looked further, 22a + federal 550 bulk hp is deadly and cheap. i would never stock up on round nose.

this year i tested the ruger lcr 22 with sub 2" barrel. i used all sorts of round nose and hp. they all failed to kill the gator in one shot, including the federal 550 bulk hp. the only one shot stop was with cci velocitor hp.

i also did some test on scrap boards. im guessing they where pine and they are 3/4" thick.

ruger 10/22 at 10 yards penetrated:

federal 550 bulk hp 4 1/2 boards
remington thunderbolt rn 4
cci blazer rn 4
interceptor hp and rn 4
cci velocitor hp 4 1/2

i will test the winchester 555 bulk hp and cci mini mag hp asap.

sholling
October 26, 2012, 11:05 AM
I build custom 10/22s for a hobby and have given a lot of thought to just what you're looking for. If it were me I'd go with a wood/stainless version for the rigidity of the stock. Putting too much tension on a shooting sling can shift the point of impact with a synthetic stock. That's because the flexible nature of synthetic stocks allows them to pull the barrel off to the side if there is any pressure at all. I'd also look to a 2 rifle solution, a 22LR for putting rabbits on the table and something larger for self defense and larger game.

For a survival rifle the only changes that I would make to a 10/22 are a $40 Volquartsen hammer kit (trigger job in a box) and a $10 Volquartsen extractor for added reliability and add sling studs. I'd invest in a couple of spare mags and if you want an optic I'd go with a $140 Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28 Rimfire (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/734016/weaver-classic-rimfire-rifle-scope-25-7x-28mm-dual-x-reticle-matte), $120 Weaver RV4 4x28 Rimfire (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/366052/weaver-classic-rimfire-rifle-scope-4x-28mm-dual-x-reticle-matte), $220 Leupold VX-1 2-7x28 Rimfire (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/435051/leupold-vx-1-rimfire-rifle-scope-2-7x-28mm-fine-duplex-reticle-matte), or possibly a $180 Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 Rimfire w/BDC (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/184657/nikon-prostaff-rimfire-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-bdc-150-reticle-matte). The Weavers are a bit better than the ProStaff and the Leupold is a tiny bit better than the Weavers but not much. Both the Weavers and Leupolds are rugged little scopes that will last a lifetime. Don't cheap out on optics for a survival rifle! BTW I do not recommend see through mounts - mount the scope as low as you can get away with.

Finally I'd invest in an Appleseed (http://appleseedinfo.org/) course. It's a dirt cheap but very high quality 2-day rifle marksmanship course that I highly recommend. They are held all over the country and a 10/22 is the perfect Appleseed rifle.

Of course you can always kick it up a notch with an aftermarket stock.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/22s%20-%201024/IMG_0272a.jpg
One of my Ruger 10/22s with an ER Shaw barrel in a Revolution Trailblazer stock. The scope is a Weaver RV9 3-9x32 Rimfire w/AO.

loose_holster_dan
October 26, 2012, 11:21 AM
just saying...

http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=67&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=19

MTG
October 29, 2012, 01:45 PM
Haven't had a chance to stop by my LGS and checkout what they have so I might have a few more questions later, but just wanted to say THANKS for all the great suggestions!

Pahoo
October 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
Always good to start out basic and go from there. However, I have seen guys go a bit too far with the upgrades and I happen to be one them. The only thing bad about this, is that the more you put into them, the less you will get back. I have seen guys try to sell $600.00 and up, 10/22 and boast about all they put into them. The only salvation is that you can strip it back down and save the parts for future use. I have built about three of these that were tack driver but never again. Currently my favorite, is a SS tapered barrel, no sights and the sporter stock and 10X scope. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

saltydog452
October 31, 2012, 07:20 AM
The 'coolest' 10-22 that I've noticed had an internally suppressed barrel with a 4X 'scope. Don't know how someone could clean the thing, but it sure looked good and didn't make much racket, even with CCI Mini-Mags.

salty

Billy the Kidder
October 31, 2012, 11:59 AM
I have the $199 base model carbine. Have done nothing other than elevated rings and an inexpensive 3-9 scope. I don't imagine it will stay that way forever, but it's been fine for now.

darestie
October 31, 2012, 01:24 PM
Question: I have an all weather stainless but unlike other 10/22s mine has a "paddle" type buttstock. Anyone know anything about these, almost seems like it was meant as a youth stock.

BTW I run a Williams peep sight on it, great iron sight if you don't want optics.

mr.t7024
October 31, 2012, 05:41 PM
If your heart is set on one, get it. There are lots of after market products for that rifle including barrels to make it more accurate. But I would suggest you take a good look at the Marlin 60 or 795,more accurate than the 10-22 out of the box and less expensive.

I have two 10-22's collecting dust now that I bought the 60's. But what ever U do have fun shooting.:) Cliff

MarkCO
October 31, 2012, 05:48 PM
Marlin 795 and 7000s are quality rifles that don't need much of anything. I really like my box stock 7000. Someday I will get around to polishing up the trigger a bit.

I've never owned a "stock" 10/22. I have two "copies" if you will. One has an internally polished 10/22 receiver with everything else aftermarket, the other is a Volquartsen receiver and trigger with a TacSol barrel. Eventually, want to have a KIDD.

nikdfish
October 31, 2012, 06:52 PM
This is a wally world special with 24" stainless barrel I picked up a few years back for about $230. The Tech-Sights I added give you pretty much the the same sight picture as an AR iron sights and are a big improvement over the oem set. I also went with an extended magazine release.
http://www.skhowell.com/images/ruger-wm-liberty.jpg

Nick

Pahoo
October 31, 2012, 07:35 PM
Question: I have an all weather stainless but unlike other 10/22s mine has a "paddle" type buttstock. Anyone know anything about these, almost seems like it was meant as a youth stock.
I always refered to these as the skeletonized stocks. These were available not only on the 10/22's but the 77/22's, both if these weather models. No, there were not designated as youth size. Personally did not care much for these but am sure that there was method to their madness. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Rifleman1776
November 1, 2012, 09:45 AM
The title of your thread gives me a chuckle. It would be like getting confused over a brick. A 10/22 is as basic as it gets, nothing confusing.
But, as said, they can be dressed up in many ways.
Mine was bought used with a black painted and broken stock. I later put a military "black" rifle style stock on it. Did not like, hard to hold for accurate shooting. Later found a used, standard wood, take off stock and put that on where it has been happily used for the past 15 years.

Edward429451
November 3, 2012, 02:12 AM
Get a basic model and you can make the specific mods that you want. That's what I did. I put mine in a Butler Creek Folding Stock, with an extended Mag release, decent Peep sights (Williams), and a pile of Mags.

I installed my own sling studs in BC's folding stock. It's not hard. I have three attachment points since I put one mid way in the stock for shooting and cut an ole thin sling to be just the right length. It's a good setup.

johnwilliamson062
November 3, 2012, 11:19 PM
Lightweight: Charger.

Seems an odd gun for SHTF IMO. NOt on my list and I quite like my 10/22.

Edward429451
November 4, 2012, 12:19 AM
I think the Chargers would make a good coffee table gun, what with the bi-pod and all. SHTF, no, but most everything else.

dgludwig
November 4, 2012, 11:29 AM
I'm considering getting a s/s International model (with the mannlicher full-length, wood stock) from my LGS. They want $309.99 for it. Is this a fair price?

wlkalong
November 4, 2012, 12:17 PM
If you really plan to use the rifle in a civil emergency type situation, and live in the city, you need to get either the breakdown version or a short barreled version with a folding stock. You need something that can easily be hidden under a coat or in a back pack. In an urban unrest situation, people who don't have a gun, will want yours and will target you if you are on the move. You will not be able to blend into a crowd carrying a rifle.

Don't believe just because you have it in your hand, people will not attack you to get it. It is almost impossible to be on guard all the time, or anticipate the tactics of those who want to get it. Not to mention, the authorities will most likely confiscate it, if they see it.

If you live in a rural area, keeping it hidden is a lot important, but I would still want something I can make as small as possible.

If using the 10/22 as an emergency self defense tool is only a secondary concern, get whatever you want, but like I and another person or two said, replace the extractor, and update the trigger with whatever model you get. :)