PDA

View Full Version : target rifle ?

rebs
October 21, 2012, 07:13 AM
Who makes an extremely accurate 223 cal bolt action rifle ? What are your recommendations ?
Same questions about 243 cal ?

kraigwy
October 21, 2012, 08:43 AM
I'm a Winchester guy my self, but to be honest there are several brands out there.

Remington, Savage, Howa,..............the list is endless.

That goes for the 243 as well as the 223. Just go to a good gun store and fondle as many different rifles as you can until you find one that fits you.

I do know that Remington and Savage both make quality 223 that are "target rifle quality right out of the box, at reasonable prices.

If the rifle you like isn't listed as a "target" rifle, don't worry, get a varmint quality..........it'll work.

WIN1886
October 21, 2012, 10:29 AM
I've been looking as well and I keep thinking the FNH TSR XP USA might be the rifle I want in .223 caliber but the Savage rifles sound good to me also !

rezmedic54
October 21, 2012, 11:59 AM
I have a 30 year old Savage 110 in .223 that still holds sub 1/4" groups with the right ammo.

stubbicatt
October 23, 2012, 08:24 PM
I'm really impressed by the CZ line of rifles. I think you can't find an equivalent value without spending a great deal more.

taylorce1
October 23, 2012, 09:53 PM
Depends on what you want in a rifle and how much you want to spend. If you want a heavy barrel rifle cheap then Remington, Savage, and Howard are going to be good bets. If you are willing to spend more then Winchester, Ruger, and CZ come into play as well as many others. You just need to figure out a budget and features you want your rifle to have and you'll digress it out quickly.

10mmAuto
October 23, 2012, 10:16 PM
I'd recommend a 700 or some kind of Savage. Quality is good enough especially in the higher end models and aftermarket parts availability is excellent and diverse.

Metal god
October 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
It depends on what is accurate to you ( MOA or M O animal )and how much do you want to spend total ( rifle & scope )

I like this answer

I'd recommend a 700 or some kind of Savage. Quality is good enough especially in the higher end models and aftermarket parts availability is excellent and diverse.

ripnbst
October 24, 2012, 12:59 AM
Savage makes a great out of the box shooter.

If you want to be able to add a custom stock, after market trigger, etc and have endless aftermarket opportunities the Remington 700 is the only way to go.

I do believe that I myself will be picking up a Rem 700 in 2013 in .308. If I wanted a "target rifle" and planned on ever shooting past 300 yards, I'd be looking into .308 WIN rather than .223 REM as IMO it is the better cartridge for punching paper at distance.

rebs
October 24, 2012, 03:34 AM
I am only interested in 223 or 243 as my shoulder can't take any more recoil than that since my permanent shoulder injury. I would like it to be accurate enough to shoot one inch and less groups from 100 to 300 yds with hand loads. Can this be had in a less than $500.00 rifle ? Dick's has a Savage 111 nikon combo for $499.00.

Metal god
October 24, 2012, 04:44 AM
For the price it looks like your talking about the savage 11/111 Hunter XP . If this is the one your talking about , its good but not great . My big hang up is that it does not come with th accu-trigger . A nice trigger will help you get the accurace your looking for . You can always get it and later upgrade the trigger .

Now that I see your budget I have a couple other rifles you may want to consider

The Ruger American Rifle . I have one in 308 and its very accurate . 3/4 MOA at 100 yards .I paid $400 out the door for the rifle only . The Ruger does not come in 223 but does come in 243 . It's a very light rifle 6.25lbs so carrying it on hunts is nice but with the light gun you get a little more felt recoil. It also has an adjustable trigger from 3 to 5 pounds . Another thing to consider is if you going to do alot of bench shooting . The Ruger and Savage both Have a lighter sporter type barrel .This means they heat up quickly and you will need to let them cool down a bit between mags or every couple of mags .

Here is a target from my Ruger American 308
http://imageshack.us/a/img690/9782/phone004.jpg

Another one you should really consider is the Howa 1500 series. They are good accurate rifles and come in 223 with a heavy bull barrel , Hogue stock , adjustable trigger and scope for right around $600 . I bet you could get close to that $600 mark out the door . That would be a pretty nice bench set up for the money .

If it matters : The Savage is made in Canada , The Ruger in America and The Howa in Japan . ( hum I think thats right if not Im sure someone will let me know ) .All are quality fire arms .

4runnerman
October 24, 2012, 05:52 AM
Savage FVSS. Most accurate rifle i have ever shot in a 223. We play tic-tac-toe with 9MM cases at 100 yards with it

Bart B.
October 24, 2012, 05:54 AM
One of the bolt action tube guns used in high power competition is probably the most accurate. 'Course they'll slim down your billfold quite a bit, too.

Go to accurateshooter.com and get information on them.

pabuckslayer08
October 24, 2012, 11:53 AM
Sounds to me as though a TC Venture is what you need for your price you want to spend. Its not a target rifle but it is dang accurate