PDA

View Full Version : Which 9mm for the house...

gmarr
October 19, 2012, 08:56 AM
Trying to decide on a 9mm for the wife and for the house. So far, I'm down to these three choices. Any experience, pros and cons, with each will be appreciated. Ammo will be Corbon DPX.

Walther PPQ, S&W M&P, and G17-Gen 4. We've shot all of them, all have been reliable and accurate. The ergonomics of the M&P were a bit better for her. Going back to the range this weekend to shoot the PPQ again.

Thanks

Don P
October 19, 2012, 09:05 AM
S&W M&P. I have glocks and S&W's and I'll take the S&W. Just my opinion.

jmortimer
October 19, 2012, 09:10 AM
PPQ is a good choice.

Tactical Jackalope
October 19, 2012, 09:15 AM
Whichever you both shoot best.

jimbob86
October 19, 2012, 09:16 AM
The ergonomics of the M&P were a bit better for her.

So let her pick that one if she likes it.......

Going back to the range this weekend to shoot the PPQ again.... and stop trying to sell her on that one.

The best gun for her is the one she picks, and will practice with.

see Cornered Cat.

jasmith85
October 19, 2012, 09:16 AM
If its primarily for your wife and she was better with the M&P I'd go with the M&P. All three are great guns so it all boils down to which one she is more comfortable with shooting.

Fishbed77
October 19, 2012, 09:17 AM
Of those options, the PPQ is the best overall gun (best trigger, ergonomics, accuracy, fit & finish, etc.).

But the accessories are more plentiful and cheaper for the Glock & M&P.

All three are good choices though - I suggest you handle all of them and pick your favorite. All are uber-reliable and well established (the PPQ is nothing more than P99 with a different trigger variant)

My order of preference is PPQ > M&P > Glock.

rgillis
October 19, 2012, 09:18 AM
If you have shot all three and have come away with a general impression that the ergonomics of the m&p were better, then between the three I'd go with the m&p.

From my personal experience with the Glock and the M&P they are both completely solid choices for a defensive handgun. I have absolutely no experience with the walther so I can't comment on it.

I'm sure you've noticed that each has it's positives and negatives. I've had a Glock 19 for nearly a decade and a M&P compact for 4 years. Except for an issue with the 10 round mags the Glock came with it's been a wonderful handgun. The M&P compact has never malfunctioned, not once in nearly 1000 rounds.

I have been on the search for another 9 and was have a difficult time choosing between the G17 and the M&P 9 full size, the full size M&P won out and it purely came down to ergonomics. I have small hands and the ability to change the palm swells on the M&P is what made up my mind. The Glock trigger is slightly better than the M&P but only slightly, IMHO.

If it is your wife's needs that need to be met primarily, then I agree with the others who have said that she needs to make the final choice, regardless of which you prefer.

Good Luck with the choice;)

October 19, 2012, 09:24 AM
I'd go with the PPQ, but that's just a preference. If they are reliable, I don't see how you can go wrong with any of them. S'pose I'd defer to ergonomics to make the decision for me.

pilpens
October 19, 2012, 09:36 AM
- The pistols you listed are all good.
- The constant trigger and no external safety makes operation simpler than others.
- Make sure that fit in her hand is good (good trigger reach with proper grip).
- I have shot all three. I like the PPQ trigger first. I had an S&W M&P but sold it because of the trigger feel.
====
Think of how the pistol will be kept at home.
I recommend to keep it in a holster so that the trigger is protected.
I do not like the Serpa style holster (where the trigger finger has to actuate a lever to release the pistol -- saw a youtube video of an error using the holster where the guy shot himself on the leg).
====

Water-Man
October 19, 2012, 09:40 AM
All things being equal, for your wife, I would go with the PPQ.

Pilot
October 19, 2012, 09:49 AM
If it is just for the house, why are you limiting yourself to just polymer offerings? Yeah, I know the gun stores push them but there are a lot of all steel or stee/alloy pistols that shoot very nicely.

Tactical Jackalope
October 19, 2012, 09:53 AM
I do not like the Serpa style holster (where the trigger finger has to actuate a lever to release the pistol -- saw a youtube video of an error using the holster where the guy shot himself on the leg).

+1

& here's the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

RBid
October 19, 2012, 10:13 AM
It's a matter of preference. These 3 are all same concept weapons, and aftermarket support is equal with regard to HD-relevant items. Lights and lasers fix to any of them easily.

My personal preference is the PPQ.

Tactical Jackalope
October 19, 2012, 10:16 AM
Honestly...the reason why I have the PPQ is from many experiences..not a dramatic amount but a few is enough to get a little annoyed. I have the PPQ because I became a little annoyed with recently how I've been engaging the mag release randomly when I'm sitting or what not....Impossible to do with the PPQ :)

RBid
October 19, 2012, 10:56 AM
If you're going to keep the weapon in a holster while stored, use something like a Blackhawk IWB (nylon) holster. It's very low profile, and it's basically a sleeve for the weapon, which does cover the trigger guard.

PSP
October 19, 2012, 11:05 AM
No bad choice, so let her pick the one she can manipulate the easiest, and quickest, feels most comfortable with, points the most natural for her. Let her make the pick, then be a wise husband and perform an astute "Yes, Dear".

RC20
October 19, 2012, 11:13 AM
If she shoots the MP with the best or close to that, I wold go with that with the safety option.

It turns a striker into a much safer gun

loose_holster_dan
October 19, 2012, 12:24 PM
love love love my ppq. the m&p was too small in the grip for my tastes. i had bad experiences with both glock 9mm's i have owned, so i don't trust them.

Single Six
October 19, 2012, 12:41 PM
I'd say go with whichever one fits her hand best. I'd also suggest you consider the Ruger P-95. Love mine; fits my wife's hand, mine as well, and it's completely reliable. Of course, I bought it only for monthly practice, since 9mm ammo is cheaper than my usual pick, which is .45 ACP. Still, give it a look.:)

TailGator
October 19, 2012, 06:41 PM
The ergonomics of the M&P were a bit better for her.

If that means that she likes the M&P, you best go ahead and write the check, bro. You aren't going to change her mind, if she is anything like my dear wife.

MLeake
October 19, 2012, 07:13 PM
I'm with the "buy the one your wife likes" crowd on this one. IE, sounds like you should start with the M&P9.

If you really like the PPQ, you can buy it for yourself at a later time, and then you'll have both.

I've owned both, and both were good guns. I've also owned Glocks, and they are good guns, but not for me.

But you are much, much better off starting out with something your wife likes.

Edit: For what it's worth, my own wife prefers S&W K frames and CZ75s, but will make do in a pinch with a J frame.

IMightBeWrong
October 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
I'd say the M&P if she shoots best with it. No reason to try anything else.

militant
October 20, 2012, 09:55 PM
Hi Point Carbine.
The 9mm round comes out of the barrel hotter and they are easy to.shoot.

HisDudeness
October 21, 2012, 02:29 AM
Glock 17. Glocks have been known to shrink tumors and balance the federal budget.

All kidding aside I just picked up a G17 and I was in the same position. The wife and I both LOVE this pistol. But as others have said it really depends on what she is comfortable with. More importantly, don't just go off of what "feels right" in her hands. Make sure she shoots them as well if at all possible. My wife thought the Springfield XD9 was her top choice until she shot one along side a G17...

LockedBreech
October 21, 2012, 03:19 AM
This is assuming they are all equally comfortable in your hand, which I'm guessing is how you narrowed it down to those three.

Having recently gotten to keep a brand-spanking-new M&P40 for almost a month, shoot it a good bit, and play around with a lot, I am very impressed by the M&P series. They're built wonderfully, shoot accurate and soft, and the bad trigger issue has been badly overstated by the internet - mostly it's just a nigh-impossible-to-detect reset. The break is still decently predictable and there's not too much grit. I also think S&W is rolling out improved triggers soon.

Not that this is related to your list, but I also got some time with an FNP-9 (borrowed one for two weeks) and was very underwhelmed, which bummed me out since I really liked the looks of the gun and the grip geometry felt okay. Just felt very plastic to me, and the DA/SA trigger pull was a nightmare compared to my Beretta PX4's. A gritty, heavy first pull and a very sloppy single action second pull (for goodness' sake, a single action shouldn't have creep).

I really hope the successor FNX pistols and the new FNS striker-fired version are better than that, because they're in the $550 range, and my $400-450 Beretta outclasses the FNP in every area. YMMV.

So I say M&P9. :)

TAKtical
October 21, 2012, 05:38 AM
I prefer glocks. 30 round mags are great.

mumbo719
October 21, 2012, 06:06 AM
If it were my wife and I the list would be

PPQ, G17 Gen 4.

M&P would be off the list as it just doesn't fit me.

Best advice I can give is keep shooting and come to a compromise that the both of you can live with.