PDA

View Full Version : Armscor and STI

thedudeabides
October 19, 2012, 05:29 AM
Thought about getting another 1911 (I have a classic-style Sig) and was looking at the STI Spartan. Found out it was made by Armscor... like some of the much cheaper RIAs.

Does STI do any tweaks to the gun, or are you just paying a 100-200 dollar premium for the name?

loose_holster_dan
October 19, 2012, 07:02 AM
much much nicer gun. sights and slide serrations alone are worth the extra cost. only the base parts are made by armscor (maybe just the frame. i can't remember). sti assembles and tunes. i have the spartan v 9mm. amazing piece.

erob3
October 19, 2012, 10:21 AM
I own a Rock Island 1911 9mm Tactical and it has been great, I have not experienced any issues at all with it. Is an STI worth $200 more? Only you can decide that, but $200 buys alot of ammo. :)

qwiksdraw
October 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
The STI Spartans frame, slide and barrel are manufactured by Armscor on a separate assembly line and have to meet STI specs. All the internal parts are manufactured by STI. Assembly is done by Armscor then sent to STI for Quality Control and distribution from Georgetown, TX.

Warranty support is 100% STI and is the best in the industry. STI treats this gun as if it were made in TX.

I have a Spartan V, 9MM and it is a fantastic gun that is well built, reliable, accurate and pretty darn fun to shoot.

saltydog452
October 19, 2012, 08:42 PM
Call STI. You'll get a straight answer with no qualifiers and an invitation to come down and tour the plant.

sd.

Mosin44az
October 20, 2012, 01:20 AM
Read an article on the Spartan when it came out. Sounded good. STI keeps a close eye on the Armscor parts going into the Spartan, including metal hardness specs. I have thought of getting one as a result--it certainly sounds like a well-built gun for the price.