PDA

View Full Version : x-bolt stalker or 700 sps?

kilotanker22
October 14, 2012, 08:41 PM
Hello all. I have narrowed down my new rifle to a few calibers. The two rifles that interest me are the two listed above. The browning is around $200 more than the remmy but both have good triggers and the browning has a glass bedded stock from the factory. I have used Remington's for years but never dealt with the FN made Browning's. Also open to others just want to see what others say and please no bashing.

kilotanker22
October 14, 2012, 08:42 PM
I guess that all things being fair maybe I should include the CNN made Winchester model 70. Only thing so far swaying me is the raised check piece on the 700.

UpstateGlocker
October 15, 2012, 10:51 AM
I'd go with the Browning X-bolt. A really nice gun, very smooth action, great balance. A friend of mine recently took his 7mmMag X-bolt to the Rockies for a hunt and loved it. Of course the Remington is a classic workhorse but the Browning I think is a step above in quality.

kilotanker22
October 15, 2012, 12:06 PM
Yes I know but my dillema is that the Remington is only 400 at Walmart.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
October 15, 2012, 12:45 PM
I have a few Remington's and love them, especially my SPS, but I do think the Browning is a little more refined. Don't get me wrong, both are great and my SPS is " dead nuts" accurate. I have just always admired the Browning.

kilotanker22
October 15, 2012, 02:08 PM
We'll thanks guys I stopped at another shop today and checked out a m70 ultimate shadow in 270. Love it I like it better than the browning or the rem. Action and trigger are top notch.

O and at 659 with bases and Burris rings I think is a good buy.

Fusion
October 15, 2012, 05:07 PM
Between those two the Browning is hands down the winner. However, the M70 is also another good choice.

Another excellent choice would be one of Savages offerings with the exception of the Axis/Edge. If you want something on a budget, this is the way to go in my opinion. It will be hard to even come close to the accuracy and overall quality with another factory gun anywhere near the price. The Browning will probably not be quite as accurate, but will have a better finish and be a nicer looking gun in most cases. That's really what you would be paying extra for.

AllenJ
October 15, 2012, 05:19 PM
Winchester, Browning, and Remington are all good rifles but I think you're making the right choice. Winchester is putting out the best product right now.

Rmart30
October 15, 2012, 08:00 PM
If you get the SPS 700 Remington has a $40 rebate going on for it.

And if Dicks sporting good is local to you they have a stainless 700 ADL with scope on sale for $479

kilotanker22
October 16, 2012, 09:42 PM
TThanks for all the tries guys. I am pretty well sold on the m70. Probably one of the smoothest actions I have ever operated. Trigger is great. I love you the Mauser style crf and the gun just felt good. And it is the middle ground if you will between the remmy and the browning.

kilotanker22
October 16, 2012, 09:43 PM
TThanks for all the replies guys. I am pretty well sold on the m70. Probably one of the smoothest actions I have ever operated. Trigger is great. I love you the Mauser style crf and the gun just felt good. And it is the middle ground if you will between the remmy and the browning. For price

warbirdlover
October 17, 2012, 05:53 PM
I looked at both and bought a SPS and can't say I'm the least bit disappointed. It's well made, good trigger and shoots tight groups. Would still like an X-Bolt someday though. I don't know how good X-Bolts shoot. Nobody evers says in this forum.

kilotanker22
October 17, 2012, 11:54 PM
Warbird I am a long time Remington fan honestly I think the browning is over priced. And another Remington is still on my list. Probably an sps is 308. For the next one.

Saltydog235
October 18, 2012, 07:00 AM
Out of the box and not having to do anything to it, the Browning though I'd look at a Savage before I looked at the Browning.

The Remington will shoot better than the Browning but IMO you have to put some money into the Remington to get it to feel and act like a quality gun. The SPS series of guns are little more than barreled actions to build upon.

Quite honestly, the M70 is the best quality of the guns you listed. The QC at the facility in Columbia, SC is second to none. FN's turning out M70's that are better than ever.

Joe Chicago
October 18, 2012, 09:15 AM
If you are considering other rifles look at the Weatherby Vanguard S2. It is very well made, has a great two stage trigger, has a three position safety so you can clear the chamber on S, and is very accurate. I got mine for $425 at Cabelas after a bit of dickering; list was $450. In long action calibers you can get it with a detachable magazine.

I would steer clear of new Remington products until they resolve their QC issues. I had to send two brand new Remington rifles back to the factory (one of the rifles three times) last year. This was a shame, since I had a 1997 700 ADL that was great and I was once loyal to the brand. If you want a Remington, find a nice used one from before The Freedom Group bought them.

Joe Chicago
October 18, 2012, 09:20 AM
If you are looking at Savages, Dicks was having a special on 111/11s with Nikon scopes for $499.99.

Joe Chicago
October 18, 2012, 09:25 AM
Allen, thank Fabrique Nationale for the new high quality 'Winchester' 70s.

ttheel
October 18, 2012, 05:52 PM
This would be an easy decision for me. The X Bolt

kilotanker22
October 18, 2012, 07:28 PM
I heard that Remington's qc is becoming questionable. However I have yet to get a bad one. Except for one I bought a few years ago.had a small burr in the chamber. The very first round I ever fired out of it was a hornady factory round and the burr pierced the brass on the shoulder when I fired it. Luckily it was far enough forward in the chamber that the gasses exited through the muzzle. Had to hammer the bolt open but a short visit to a local smith fixed the problem.

Could have been very dangerous but I think.k that kind of problem is a fluke.

Joe Chicago
October 18, 2012, 10:35 PM
Kilo, I had a Rem Model Seven that had to go back due to head space issues (I could barely cycle the bolt after a shot). I also had a 597 that threw an extractor plunger on the third shot. Then it had to go back because the front sight was 10 degrees off center and the rifle could not be centered. Finally, the dovetails on the receiver were also off center so after market sights could not be zeroed. So last year Big Green was batting 0 for 2 with me.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
October 19, 2012, 08:35 AM
I would advise finding a friend that owns one of each of the rifles you are interested in. For me the SPS fit perfectly to what I needed, but it isn't for everyone. I have been nothing but pleased with the rifle and like I said before it is the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever shot. I specifically wanted a 20" threaded barrel, and composite stock. But the other rifles might be better for you. I love the Win70's and Sako's. I own Savages but do not like the action as good. They are great rifles though, just my personal taste varies. You will be fine to choose either of the ones mentioned throughout the thread, the key is finding the one that fits you the best.