PDA

View Full Version : Model 70 Pre 64 transition with U.S.E.D. Stock Stamp

ruthts
October 13, 2012, 09:15 PM
Need some help & wondering if anyone has seen a stamp like this on a Model 70 It's a transition pre -64 made in 1948 (based on the serial #). The stock is stamped "U.S.E.D." and also "USA". The best guess we have is that it was used by military or government dept, but we aren't sure as U.S.E.D. is not an acronym for anything obvious. The current DOE wasn't called that 1948 so we don't think it's Energy Dept. We thought Engineering Dept, maybe, but don't think Army Corp of Engineers used those initials either back then either. Any thoughts are helpful.

Keg
October 14, 2012, 01:57 AM
30-06?

Chris_B
October 14, 2012, 05:58 AM
has something to do with the US Government for sure. I can find reference in old maps to U.S.E.D.

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/612198
http://www.alamedainfo.com/Alameda_1942.htm

Looks like those letters are burned, not stamped. Odd. The USA mark also has no dot after the "A", and the typeface is nothing I'd associate with US-supplied equipment. Those marks also means it was done after the wood was finished

US Department of Education would have been 'DOED"

The US Army Corps of Engineers has a 'Environmental' mission, I wonder if somehow that fits in the 'U.S.E.D.' referenced in the maps. CoE oversaw the Manhattan Project, they did other obscure things too I'm sure

I feel that the "U.S.A" markings are private-owner made marks

edit-

I have asked over at the US Militaria forum about U.S.E.D.

Chris_B
October 14, 2012, 07:20 AM
US Engineering Department was part of the Corps of Engineers

30-30remchester
October 14, 2012, 09:38 AM
I have seen a model 94 Winchester carbine that was stamped with a US agricultual stamp on the buttstock. This gun was was issued to a range rider for the forest service. These rider would ride the forest service property counting cattle of ranchers who rented the forest to summer their cattle.

ruthts
October 14, 2012, 10:36 AM
It is a 30-06 gov't. The USA on it is a really deep odd mark and an individual adding that at some point in time does make more sense. If U.S. Engineering was part of the Corp of Engineers back then it could explain the U.S.E.D.

Thanks for all the input! We've been scratching our heads guessing on this one.