PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a 30-06 Mark X Alexandria Virginia Machester England rifle?

tilaf
October 12, 2012, 07:25 PM
I recently acquired a 30-06 interarms mark x alexandria virginia manchester england rifle it has the stock right to the end of the barrel I guess it is called a mannlicher (sp) although I am not too sure. My question is how old is this rifle and does it fire normal 30-06 ammo ? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

natman
October 13, 2012, 03:07 AM
Probably from the 70s or 80s. The rifles were made by Zastava in what was then Yugoslavia and is now Serbia. There may be a date in the format 1276 on the action, where 12 is the month and 76 is the year of manufacture.

Regular 30-06 should be just fine unless the rifle has been altered since it was made.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/interarms_mkx.pdf

hooligan1
October 13, 2012, 08:37 AM
That's actually a pretty nice rifle there dude, and yes the 30-06 ammo should be fine but for piece of mind, take it to your local smith and get a chambercast made.

GeauxTide
October 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
I had two Interarms actions. Had a 280 made that I gave to my youngest and a 6.5-06 in my safe. Great action. Before I had the 280 made, it was an '06. It would consistently shoot 5/8" cloverleaves. Yours was made in the 70s. Fine piece.

HiBC
October 20, 2012, 05:41 AM
FWIW,the importer was Interarms,Alexandria,Virginia.

I agree with most everything else that has been said:Its a commercial Mauser action and a fine sporting rifle.

However,(I do not know for sure) I suspect that the Manchester,England inscription might mean it is not a Zastavia made rifle.Parker-Hale and BSA come to mind as some British made commercial Mausers.

I do not claim to be expert on this,but that is what the inscriptions would lead me to believe.That changes nothing,still a nice rifle.

jmr40
October 20, 2012, 08:19 AM
All the Interarms MK-X Mausers have both Virginia and England stamped on the receiver. They are all the same basic rifle that have sold under various names over the years. They have been sold by various importers who finished them slightly different. Parker-Hale just did a better job of polishing and fit them with better quality stocks. Charles Daley sold a version as did Remigton for a while as the model 798.

The standard versions are quite common and are often used as the basis for custom rifles. You used to be able to simply buy a barreled action for around $250 and have it put in the stock. You could also buy just the action and have it fitted with a custom barrel and stock. I bought this 338-06 used, but I'd bet it was originally sold just as an action.

http://s1129.beta.photobucket.com/user/jmr40/media/260-1.jpg.html#/user/jmr40/media/260-1.jpg.html?&_suid=135073888938508423804395072788

The mannlicher versions are not nearly as common and do bring a bit of a premium. All of the MK-X's have a reputation of solid, dependable rifles, but can be a little rough when new. I like them.

math teacher
October 20, 2012, 09:09 PM
I believe about the same time Herters used to sell a model J-9 with the same barreled action. Their U-9 was a BSA.

Scorch
October 21, 2012, 12:36 AM
I suspect that the Manchester,England inscription might mean it is not a Zastavia made rifle.Parker-Hale and BSA come to mind as some British made commercial Mausers
Interarms had a plant in England for many years where they had a lot of fitting and polishing work done, hence the Manchester, England stamp. Labor in the UK was cheaper than the US but higher quality than Yugoslavia, and I suspect there was somewhat of the attempt to impress buyers that their rifle came from the land of H&H and Rigby rifles.

Many early Parker-Hale and BSA rifles were built on FN actions, but there were many also built on the same Yugoslavian-made actions used in the Mark X rifles.

bamaranger
October 21, 2012, 01:02 AM
I've got one of those, mannlicher style stocked, 20" bbl, in .30-06. The stock on mine had been shortened (bummer) and a nifty redfield peep (?) and brass sourdough sort of post installed as sights. A new pad brought the rifle into a better fit for me, and I loaded a bit for it. Dang thing is a shooter. I went with 200 gr Noslers (don't ask) and its first 3 shot -100 yd group with the peep went about 1.25 ". It also kicked like a mule.

Before my eyes get any worse, I will kill deer with it.

The Mark X's are dandy commercial mausers. Safety is not true Mauser, but suits me.

hooligan1
October 21, 2012, 09:28 AM
My brother had an action he bedded and finished, it was a .270 winchester, Mark X Whitworth action, it was very nice and it shot very nicely also, killed my biggest buck with it.:)

Mike Irwin
October 21, 2012, 12:23 PM
I've seen these before, but I've never seen one with a Mannlicher-style full stock.

Very nice.

natman
October 21, 2012, 01:30 PM
Many early Parker-Hale and BSA rifles were built on FN actions, but there were many also built on the same Yugoslavian-made actions used in the Mark X rifles.

The BSA Hunter was a Mauser like design, but as far as I know they built them themselves in the UK. If you can supply any more information about any BSAs built on FN or Zastava Mauser actions, I'd appreciate it.

Parker Hale OTOH, made up / commissioned / imported all kinds of things. I have a PH 30-06 that uses a Spanish Santa Barbara action that was sold in the US as a J.C. Penney, complete with a 4x J.C. Penney scope! Times were different then.