PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Purchase Question

Doug S
October 12, 2012, 07:01 PM
Last year was the first time I had hunted in 16 years. In the interim I had sold off my Remington 700, 7600 Carbine, and Marlin 30-30. Last season I borrowed a rifle from a friend, and I can do so again this year, but I think I'd like to pick up a "cheap" but decent quality rifle of my own. A local hardware store has a Savage 110 in 270 caliber with a wooden stock and a 3x9x40 Tasco scope for $275. It appears to be in very decent shape overall, no rust, and the wood looks good, but it didn't have checkering on the stock like the pictures of older 110' that I've seen on the Internet. I'm not sure about the age of the gun, but I'm assuming it's not of very recent vintage. The riflings also looked good. Action functioned smoothly. My other options from the same shop, a Ruger American for $339 without a scope, a Remington 770 for $319 w/scope (which I've read bad reviews on), or Savage Axis with a scope for about the same as the Ruger. Comparing the guns the 110, just felt better, aimed more naturally, and seemed to function more smoothly like rifles that I've owned in the past. The Ruger American (which would probably be my second choice) just didn't "feel" as good.

So my question is, based on the above limited info, should the stock have checkering, or has it been refinished. Other than the lack of checkering, the stock doesn't look to be refinished (no rounded edges, etc.). Oh, and there is no hinged floorplate on this stock. Does the $275price tag sound reasonable for a 110 that doesn't appear to have seen much in the way of hard use, or would the Ruger American be a better rifle? Serial number on the Savage is in the 972###...don't know if that helps with anything.

Thanks very much for any help on this.

sc928porsche
October 12, 2012, 07:40 PM
Sounds like a decent deal. Savage was never known for the beauty of their stocks, but they are quite serviceable. A lot of the 110's didnt have checkering.

hooligan1
October 13, 2012, 08:43 AM
Dude I tell you this right now,,,If I knew where that rifle was I'd buy out from under you so fast!!! That's not a pretty rifle but, they are very accurate and the 110 is a solid foundation to customize, and the caliber is awesome dude!

BUY IT NOW!!!!;)

Doug S
October 13, 2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to pick up the Savage. As I said in my earlier comments, it just fit and felt much better than the Ruger. Seems like a gun with a good history, versus the newer with a lesser track record.

Kreyzhorse
October 15, 2012, 06:27 AM
Dude I tell you this right now,,,If I knew where that rifle was I'd buy out from under you so fast!!! That's not a pretty rifle but, they are very accurate and the 110 is a solid foundation to customize, and the caliber is awesome dude!

BUY IT NOW!!!!

+1. This is dead on.

Fusion
October 15, 2012, 08:27 AM
I don't know, in my area an older 110 wouldn't bring $275. I'd think $225-250 would be more the price range it should be in. I guess this varies with the area though. The $300 range should bring you a newer Savage 110 with the accu trigger, and the older ones certainly don't bring as much. That said, they are great guns and quite a bit better than any of the other rifles you are looking at.

Is the Tasco scope made in Japan or China? If it's made in Japan it's probably a pretty decent scope. Much better than any of the Chinese scopes that come on most package guns.

Doug S
October 15, 2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I sincerely appreciate the help. I haven't picked up the rifle yet, but I put money down on it so that they would hold it for me. I'll check the scope to see if it was made in Japan. I'm hoping to pick it up later this week.