PDA

View Full Version : laser for revolver

e'ville
December 16, 2000, 03:45 PM
Has anyone got any comments on the Crimson Trace grip, especially for a J frame? Are they comfortable? Are they worth the cost? Thanks.

twoinchgroup52
December 17, 2000, 04:56 PM
I recently put Crimson Trace Lasergrips on my house gun which is a J-frame chiefs special. The only problem I have is the recoil, even with wadcutters, seems harsh and actually, after some shooting, hurts the web of my hand. This didn't happen when I had fancy wood grips on the gun.
On a positive note, the laser is very bright and once zeroed will increase your accuracy greatly. All in all, I'm not sorry I got them and yes, I do feel they are worth the money. Sincerely, Twoinchgroup52

MilesTeg
December 17, 2000, 08:21 PM
I have the Crimsom Trace grips for my 2 inch S&W66. The grips/gun is large enough that I do not have any problem with the recoil whether I am using .38 +P or .357 mags. They are great for point shooting and and are at their best when the light is so low that irons are not practical. Easy to zero to whatever range you want and they do not drift after repeated shots. Only downside is the grips are a bit slick because of the plastic. I heard someone else recommend skateboard tape - have to give it a try. I also have the laser grips on my 92FS and find the grip even better since the plastic is limited to the side panels.

CoyDog
December 19, 2000, 03:51 PM
I put a Crimson Trace unit on a S&W 642 Ladysmith for my wife to use for concealed carry. The red dot is very bright and visible, even in daylight. Easy to sight in and seems to hold zero. The grips are made of slick plastic but the checkering is sharp.

The main problem I've found is a tendency for the red dot to become bigger and less distinct after repeated firing. This was found to be caused by an accumulation of residue building up on the front window of the laser. This is solved by cleaning with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol, per manufacturers recommendation. Another possible downside is that someone can rely on the dot to the degree that they ignore training with conventional sights. We get around that by alternating practice sessions: 50% with laser sight, 50% conventional.

Overall it seems like a good product that could help contribute to very fast shooting in an emergency. Also, when used in total darkness, the red beam gives off some illumination to help see better.
Good Shooting, CoyDog