PDA

View Full Version : chl legal question

SWglockmagnum
October 3, 2012, 02:51 PM
Despite the fact its stupid to do so and generally in bad form, if you have a chl in texas, and someone asks you for id, is it legal for you to flash your chl as a form of id?

This topic came up as a discussion between me and a friend and im curious.

I meam obviously if you are buying a car or opening a bank account and they ask for two forms of id, you can use it as a form of id but i mean like... Buying cigarettes or beer from a convenient store.

Stressfire
October 3, 2012, 05:33 PM
Not in Texas, but I used mine to get my taxes done. HR Block wanted 2 forms of ID, CHL & DL were all I brought

Well, it is a state-issued ID card. It has a birthday and photo. Plus, who would be crazy enough to forge one, since the only people that we have to show them to are the cops:eek:

dogtown tom
October 3, 2012, 05:47 PM
SWglockmagnum Despite the fact its stupid to do so and generally in bad form, if you have a chl in texas, and someone asks you for id, is it legal for you to flash your chl as a form of id?

This topic came up as a discussion between me and a friend and im curious.

I meam obviously if you are buying a car or opening a bank account and they ask for two forms of id, you can use it as a form of id but i mean like... Buying cigarettes or beer from a convenient store.
You can wear your CHL on a lanyard around your neck if you want.
I'm not sure why you would wonder if its legal to use as an ID....since that is exactly what it is.

It's up to the business if they will accept a CHL as proof of age, as it's a government issued photo ID and perfectly acceptable as ID ....even for boarding an airline flight.

Double Naught Spy
October 3, 2012, 05:59 PM
A Texas CHL is not a legal form of identification according to DPS. That is, in part, due to the fact that they can't verify the pics sent in with you except looking at your DL image.

With that said, my bank takes it as a second form of ID. Lots of places will, but some will not as it isn't truly ID.

Glenn E. Meyer
October 3, 2012, 06:45 PM
I vaguely remember that in the current voter ID debate, one photo form that was proposed to be acceptable was the CHL. Might be wrong on that.:confused:

wally626
October 4, 2012, 05:02 PM
In VA the CHP is valid ID for voting but it does not have a picture. Can be used as second ID for things like buying a gun. I think it is only primary for voting.

Double Naught Spy
October 4, 2012, 05:51 PM
In VA the CHP is valid ID for voting but it does not have a picture.

How can anything without a picture be a valid ID? LOL.

Crankgrinder
October 4, 2012, 08:41 PM
you have to have pictures taken, fingerprints taken, forms filled out and provide proof of residency, looks just like a dl on top of that, id say its an id alright. Still wouldnt flash it for one though.

ChuckS
October 5, 2012, 09:18 AM
Strangely enough in PA the LTCF, even though it does include picture and address, it is NOT considered valid ID for voting purposes. LOL, so much for consistency. :confused:

wally626
October 6, 2012, 01:03 PM
The VA CHP does not require fingerprints anymore. You need a clean criminal record, mental health, gun safety course. You need to have a valid photo ID to submit the form for the initial permit. It is slightly more restrictive than the requirements to buy a gun, but not by much. The CHP as ID for voting is a result the Voter ID law requirements being very weak. Probably why it was not rejected like other states have had theirs rejected lately. The VA permit is just a small piece of paper signed by the Judge, not even laminated in my county. You are required to carry a separate photo ID.

SWglockmagnum
October 10, 2012, 10:10 AM
awesome... thanks guys!

Harryball
October 10, 2012, 11:30 AM
Im in MI and have used mine for another form of ID.

Kreyzhorse
October 11, 2012, 06:53 AM
It is state issued so it wouldn't be illegal to use. Not sure how widely accepted it would be however.

I have no experience using mine as ID here in Kentucky but I do know someone who used his Florida license as ID to board an airplane.

KyJim
October 11, 2012, 06:59 PM
How can anything without a picture be a valid ID? LOL. "Back in the day," I found myself in possession of a draft card that had no no photo on it. Yet, I could use it to purchase items legally available only to those 21 or older. Funny, the name was different than mine and it listed my height at 6'-4" and I'm really only 5'-7" and my age as 24 when I was 17. It really varies from place to place on what an acceptable ID is.