PDA

View Full Version : barrel size in pistols

chrisintexas
September 18, 2012, 04:29 AM
Is barrel size in pistols the main factor affecting recoil? what would be the ideal barrel size to keep recoil to manageable level in 9mm/10mm/.45acp,auto/.44magnum
manageable level may differ in different people but is there some agreed upon level range?

Denezin
September 18, 2012, 05:00 AM
For target or Self defense?

Micahweeks
September 18, 2012, 11:04 PM
Barrel size isn't a factor. Barrel length puts weight forward of the chamber and helps manage muzzle rise. But, muzzle rise isn't recoil. Factors mitigating recoil are numerous, but barrel length is just a factor reducing "perceived" recoil.

DallasCMT
September 18, 2012, 11:12 PM
Gun weight will affect perceived recoil more than anything. I fired my PX4 9mm and a Ruger SR9c last weekend, the PX4 is a few ounces heavier and seemed to recoil less. Plus the PX4 has the rotating barrel but I'm not convinced that makes that much difference. Oh yeah, my friend's 92F, a few ounces more, seemed to recoil even a little less.

All things equal - a 3" barrel and a 6" barrel only, with no gun attached and of equal weight, in a lab test - good question, but I'd guess the longer barrel would recoil more since there is more bullet time in the barrel to build pressure, and thus recoil.