PDA

View Full Version : FN barrels sold to public Reject/Blemish barrels?

marine6680
September 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
Moved into SC recently... checking out the local shops.

Stopped in to one and was looking around, asked about AR parts they had, brands they sold. Asked about transfers and the like as well.

Mentioned PSA and hammer forged barrels... not sure if it was him or me that mentioned FN first.

The man behind the counter claimed that FN did not manufacture for civilian use, and that any barrels sold that are made by FN are actually the rejects from the military production.

The chamber or rifling doesn't miss spec... or some other aspect reject it from military acceptance. FN then sells these barrels to re-sellers.

PSA, Spikes, and any others that claim to sell FN made barrels... they all only get the rejects.

So... is it true?

Thats an awful lot of out of spec barrels are being made if that is so... Makes you wonder about FN's equipment and processing if they are making so many bad barrels. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

He also said that there is a lot of troubleshooting and initial issues after completing an AR build that needs worked out... Not sure about that one, never hear complaints from new builders.

Could be his statements were motivated on steering me toward buying, so he had a chance at a sell... but the barrel thing could be true, who knows...

Hopefully you guys do. :cool:

marine6680
September 17, 2012, 05:59 PM
The guys on AR15 are calling BS... which is what I was thinking as well.

Eghad
September 17, 2012, 06:16 PM
"These carbine barrels are hammer forged for Spike’s by FN."

If his shop has a lot of issues and other stuff that needs to be worked out after they build an AR-15 do yourself a favor and don't buy one from that shop.

Brownells is not going to buy rejected barrels.....lol neither is Spikes

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=45463/Product/AR-15-M16-HAMMER-FORGED-CARBINE-BARREL

I think smoke has been blown out somebody's nether regions.

Makes sense for FN to make AR-15 barrels and parts. They made them along with Colt for the military. If FN doesn't have the contract anymore why let machinery sit around and rust with the civilian AR-15 market booming?

They have a contract to make the M240L machine gun for the DoD.

30Cal
September 17, 2012, 06:50 PM
On a good day, maybe 5% of what you hear in the gunstore is true. They are chronically full of it.

Palmetto-Pride
September 17, 2012, 06:54 PM
Well I have a 300 AAC Blackout barrel from PSA made by FN and since the military isn't using 300 AAC Blackout I would have to call BS on that. So either PSA is outright lying about the barrel being made by FN or the gun store guy is full of it. It shoots like a dream so I could care less if Daisy made it...lol:)

Mrgunsngear
September 17, 2012, 09:30 PM
I used to go to the FN plant frequently for work and I personally watched them making barrels for commercial use right along with their military barrels (for the A4, 240, 240L, and MK19 at the time).

I realize I'm just some dude on the internet, not typically a valid source, but it's the best evidence I can give you.

marine6680
September 17, 2012, 09:46 PM
Yeah... I was sure it was BS... but thought I would mention it.

10mmAuto
September 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
In any given city, I'd say 1 in 20 firearm stores have employees and clients who know what they're talking about.

Metal god
September 18, 2012, 04:42 PM
You should give us the name and number of the shop/store you were at . Im sure we would love to give them a call ., If not the number just the name so we all know what store never to go too.

UtopiaTexasG19
September 18, 2012, 05:57 PM
Last week I had a salesman at a local gun store tell me that they would never carry and re-loading supplies or bullets for the 300 Blackout because they did not sell supressors and the 300 Blackout would not shoot without a supressor installed. I just walked away and decided not to tell him I have re-loaded and run approx. 2200 rounds through my Blackout and I don't own a supressor. I shoot 110, 125, 147, 220 and 247 grain bullets just fine unsupressed.

marine6680
September 19, 2012, 05:02 PM
They can say some odd things...

It was just the one guy... the others seemed ok. I'll leave them be for now... they are the only ones in town with an indoor range, so I will probably go back sometime or another.

FALshootist
September 19, 2012, 09:20 PM
I've read that FN couldn't sell to the public because of their M16 contract but that was a long time ago.

As far as PSA goes, they state their barrels are manufacured for them by FN in SC. I have no reason to doubt it as I'm sure FN would imeadiately jump in their [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] if it was untrue. But I'd be happier if their barrels were stamped FN rather than Palmetto.

Fishbed77
September 22, 2012, 12:00 AM
It was just the one guy... the others seemed ok. I'll leave them be for now... they are the only ones in town with an indoor range, so I will probably go back sometime or another.

marine6680, by chance, what SC city are you living in?

As far as PSA goes, they state their barrels are manufacured for them by FN in SC. I have no reason to doubt it as I'm sure FN would imeadiately jump in their [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] if it was untrue. But I'd be happier if their barrels were stamped FN rather than Palmetto.

Many PSA barrels are marked "FN."

madcratebuilder
September 22, 2012, 06:29 AM
The man behind the counter claimed that FN did not manufacture for civilian use, and that any barrels sold that are made by FN are actually the rejects from the military production.

Sounds like he didn't carry FN barrels. Total BS.

"The man behind the counter" is in some cases, a minimum wage idiot.

marine6680
September 22, 2012, 11:24 PM
I'll just say I'm way up state... near NC... big town.

btmj
September 23, 2012, 02:35 AM
On a good day, maybe 5% of what you hear in the gunstore is true. They are chronically full of it.

I'll go out on a limb and say that up to 10% is true... maybe even 20% on a good day.

Every single time my wife accompanies me to a gun store, some guy behind the counter fills her head with crap that I have to correct on the drive home.

customaquatics
September 23, 2012, 04:38 PM
Many PSA barrels are marked "FN."

all the one's i have seen say "5.56 NATO 1/7 CL MP PSA"