PDA

View Full Version : Pitted Barrel

OldSoul
September 16, 2012, 09:03 AM
I have Mossburg 835 that I bought and I didn't look down the barrel when I bought it (stupid mistake by me). I got home and looked down the barrel and there was minor pitting to the inside of the barrel. The gun is safe to fire but will it effect accuracy. The gun will most likely be used soley for turkey.

drcook
September 16, 2012, 09:26 AM
you might be able to hone it out a little bit with a cylinder hone, just be cognizant of where the chamber and such are. There are the "balls on wire" type hones and also the 3 stone type hones.

a gunsmith in your area might already have the hones and do it for you for what the hones would cost.

a poor man's hone is a piece of dowel wood with a slit cut in the end. fold up some wet/dry paper and stick it in the slit, long enough to wrap around the inside of the barrel. oil the inside and spin the dowel with a drill moving it in and out of the barrel.

scotchbrite on a dowel will do the same thing

the above procedures would smooth it out without taking a lot of material out of it

just a thought and suggestion

PetahW
September 16, 2012, 10:01 AM
IMO, few things in life are perfect.

Unless the pitting's deep enough to affect barrel stability/safety, I just shoot 'em that way.

The only downside of the pitting (besides dropping resale value) is that it takes a bit more scrubbing to clean.

I just don't give a "pit". :p . :p