PDA

View Full Version : SA Mil-Specs & Loadeds

hemlock0013
December 14, 2000, 11:53 AM
I’ve been pondering getting a SA 1911A1 for some time now. (I tend to overthink any major purchase.) I know I want a full-size, and I know I want it parkerized. My only question is mil-spec or loaded. The loaded seems to make more sense logically, as it doesn’t cost that much more and comes with so many added features. I particularly like the idea of better sites, better trigger, and beavertail grip safety. It would seem to be more "user friendly" choice.

Yet, there’s just something about the mil-spec. Maybe I’m just being too nostalgic (first pistol I ever shot was a Army issue Colt). Or maybe it’s just that fancied-up guns, ala the loaded, look a little odd to me. Or maybe I’ve seen to many Sam Peckinpah films. Whatever it is, the mil-spec still holds some appeal to me (as do Colt 1991A1s).

Makes me wonder who out there prefers the mil-spec over the loaded, and why.

---hemlock0013

Mark O
December 14, 2000, 04:16 PM
hemlock,I just bought a SA 1911A1 Mil-Spec(my first 1911) and while I was going through my 10 day waiting period(I live in Cali)the thought hit me that I should have got the loaded package,even though my original plan was to stay away from the custom features.(For the additional price you can't beat it.)A $150 more gets you at least $300 worth of extra's.Now that I have it I don't regret buying the Mil-Spec at all,it works just fine for me and in the future if I want a 1911 with the extra features,well,I guess I'll just have to buy another.You can never have to many guns!
Whichever one you get I'm sure you'll be happy.I love mine!

I almost forgot,the SA 1911's come with coupons that are worth at least $300 in discounts.

One
December 14, 2000, 07:05 PM
I've recently pondered this dilemma myself. But, I was trying to decide between the Loaded, Trophy Match, and the TRP. This gun was bought as a play gun, IDPA and PPC, so carry was not an issue. There is a fairly large difference in price among these models. For a while the Trophy was the front runner, but for about $100 more the TRP was in range. But, in the end, I bought a blued Loaded and with the extra money got MMC rear tritium adj site, Mepro front site, S&A arched magwell,5 McCormick 8rounders, 2 McCormick 10rounders, and a holster. I must say that I love this gun. It will not replace my Glock as a duty weapon, but it sure will see alot of range time.

The added features of the Loaded are well worth the price, if you desire them. If you will be happy with a stock Mil-spec go for it. But, if you think that you will desire the Speed trigger, beavertail and other amenities then don't hesitate to go Loaded. Upgrading the Mil-spec will cost you far more in the long run. Also if you have a prob, it is the factory's prob to fix it, not the guy who smithed the aftermarket parts. Hope this helps.

Be Safe
Mike

riverdog
December 14, 2000, 07:35 PM
That's the way mine came (5 more days but who's counting) and it seemed to be a good deal to me. The small features added have a lot to do with functionality and since the military got out of the 1911 business, what does mil-spec really mean.

I didn't really like all the sharp corners and edges but at the price I paid I figured a little more and I can have any exterior I want. The decision I need to make now is "carry bevel" (conservative) or "meltdown" (radical). But that's months down the road. First I need to shoot it ... a lot, then get the external and any necessary internal work done at the same time. I know, I know, the quality control is much better now and they're 100% reliable :rolleyes: ; still, every 1911 I've ever owned needed something done to it.

glockjeeper
December 14, 2000, 09:54 PM
Thats the reason I got my M1991A1. Plus its a Colt. But I liked the fact of how the serial numbers continued from the military issue ones of WWII. I thought of having it customized, but I'm on a real nostalgia trip right now and I don't plan on doing anything but maybe some grips. I'm a veteran and have a special place in my heart for military issue arms. Especially handguns. I used to have a '43 Colt M1911A1 in near mint condition, but of course I had to get rid of it for something else that I "thought" was more important at the time. They are hard to find now, so the 1991A1 was the closest I can get for now. My vote goes to the mil-spec!

Dan
December 15, 2000, 08:56 PM
I own both. A Govt size S.S. Loaded & a Champion size Mil Spec (I doubt they still make those). Get the Loaded. You won't be sorry.

Country Boy
December 15, 2000, 11:12 PM
I own a SA loaded champion, and I just ordered a SA loaded parkerized full size. I like the Novak sights and the memory bump on the grip safety. My full size loaded will be a working carry piece (after its evaluation), and the Mil-Spec wasn't close enough to what I wanted for a carry piece.

MTAA
December 16, 2000, 03:33 AM
You made a good choice. If you do decide to customize your gun, you won't have to worry about useless parts you overpaid for. I think the Mil spec is the coolest looking 1911 on the market.

ak9
December 17, 2000, 04:08 PM
A recent gunrag did a direct comparison between the different grades of SA pistols and if accuracy is a consideration get the loaded pistol as it was more accurate. If you even think you are going to want any of the goodies of the loaded pistol, then get the loaded. It will save you lots of money in the long run.

Ed2000
December 17, 2000, 09:18 PM
I am finding that I do not need or desire the stuff found on the "loaded" guns. My standard SA1911 has an extended safety and rounded hammer. The standard grip safety is fine; I don't need the front slide serrations; I don't want the 2 piece guide rod; etc.