PDA

View Full Version : Converting a 10/22

AZwarts
September 1, 2012, 11:27 PM
I didn't know wether to put this in the lever gun forum or semi but since it is a semi gun I put it here. I want to convert my 10/22 to a lever gun like the 96/22 since the 96/22s are exspensive. Has anyone done this or know how?

jmr40
September 2, 2012, 06:21 AM
Given enough time and money most anything is possible. I'd guess you can probably buy 2-3 of the 96-22's for what a conversion would cost.

AZwarts
September 2, 2012, 12:28 PM
Well i was hoping there was a kit out there to do it because I don't care enough to bust my gun up or enough cash. Thanks for the input.

Shotgun693
September 2, 2012, 07:10 PM
While I don't like their bigger bore guns, the Henry .22 lever gun is decent.

Eghad
September 2, 2012, 07:30 PM
http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RU96/22M&mfg=Ruger&family=96+Rifle+Series&model=96%2F22

That is probably cheaper than the shop time to do what you want to do.

dancer
September 3, 2012, 01:43 PM
I had an experience with a 96/22. In the vernacular, it "wouldn't shoot straight"! It wasn't the gun (more than likely) but the ammo. More than one local gunsmith told me that the .22 magnum cartridge is not an inherently accurate round. Either the gunsmith or I tested every available brand of factory ammo and found none that I considered acceptable -- with squirrel-rifle accuracy. I traded the 96/22 for a Thompson Center Classic .22 semi-auto, and that is a case where the gun had its problems and wouldn't feed any kind of .22LR ammo reliably. When I finally complained to T/C, via their new Smith & Wesson owners, they requested the Classic for testing and finally offered me a replacement. As a result I now have a T/C Encore Pro Hunter in .22/250 -- not what I originally had in mind about 10 years ago, but one of the finest shooting rifles I've ever even heard of. Kudos to S&W Customer Relations.

BTW, I still have my Ruger 96/44 and will have it for a long time.