PDA

View Full Version : New P7M8

DAKODAKID
December 13, 2000, 10:32 PM
Picked up my 1st P7, tomorrow I go to the range to shoot it.
I have dry fired it in my garage and it feels so right...
Will dry firing with no snap cap be OK???
I am using an earplug in the chamber to be sure..
I hope this little beast shoots as good as my MK23 and USP's
I am also thinking of getting it hard chromed because the hard chrome looks so bitching!!!!
It will be kindof weird to shoot a 9mm after years of shooting the good 'ol .45acp...
Any words of wisdom P7 owners...I know you are out there...
Thanks...

Tamara
December 13, 2000, 10:51 PM
Once you've already squoze the squeezer, it only takes a fraction of your grip strength to keep it squuzed. This will dramatically improve your group sizes with this fine pistol.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine! :)

DAKODAKID
December 13, 2000, 11:09 PM
Thanks Tamara, great advice, I did notice this whilst dry
firing which is good news to me as I always hold my pistols kindly and gently while I shoot them..
After an extended bout of shooting .45 super and +P maybe the 9mm will be a nice break!!!!
The P7 feels so small in my hands compared to the MK23.

gazoline
December 13, 2000, 11:35 PM
I own a P7M13 and MK23 and it seems that they have the exact same sights. Take a look. As it is, the P7 feels so perfect in the hand anyways, but this may be an unknown familiarity of the gun that you are used to with the MK23. No doubt you will love shooting it. Let us know your first shooting impressions!

MPower
December 14, 2000, 01:59 AM
No arguement from me on hard chroming...have a great time!
If you plan on putting a lot of rounds through the P7, take along your Mk 23 to shoot while it cools, or take along some gloves. After 200 rounds a P7 gets rather "toasty".
Be safe and shoot straight.
Best
John
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=637092&a=4646604&p=26830989&Sequence=0&res=high

RobCon
December 14, 2000, 10:17 AM
I would not bother with a snap cap. The pistol is striker-fired and in 16 years of dry practice mine is factory-fresh. I am not surprised the P7 feels small since the Mk23 is a crew-served weapon.

9mmepiphany
December 14, 2000, 02:49 PM
there are alot of sublties to this beauty.

1) when drawing: don't take a full firing grip until the muzzle is pointed toward the target
2) during a mag change: the mag well does not follow the grip angle, it inserts verticlely
3) sounds good, NOT: don't hold the trigger back and try to fire by squeezing the cocker
4) don't fire lead bullets or old style(aluminum)silvertips, shaves into the port
5) during cleaning: use the brass brush to clean out gass cylinder
6) after cleaning: leave no oil on piston or in gas cylinder

enjoy shooting, the only more interesting HK is the P9S

Der Grosse
December 14, 2000, 03:35 PM
MPower: Your gun looks great! Where did you get it hard-chromed, how long did it take and how much did you pay? Any down-sides to this process?

MPower
December 14, 2000, 05:26 PM
Aloha DG,
The P7 was hardchromed by Virgil Tripp (formerly of STI etc..) It was a refurb, but Tripp shaved the side slightly, removing the markings (which are shallow) on the right side. You can still see a little of the mill mark, but he straightened and minimized it. Left side still has markings but was finished to match. All internals are chromed also, except barrel which I requested to be left alone. Cost was $125 if I recall and he turned it around in ONE WEEK. Downside is you may or may not like silver. My girlfriend saw it, and asked why I had it "spraypainted" :( but I really like it, and it is like the gun is wearing armor.

DAKODAKID
December 15, 2000, 11:31 PM
WOW, what a pistol.
After shooting the MK23 for so long this was really an
experience, Kindof like the Bass line driving through
Techno Music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From 25' to 50' the groups were about 1".
Shooting offhand LH or RH with support hand my groups
were about 3"-4" to the left or right depending on
which hand was working the trigger.
I am pushing the trigger,
need to work on this.
Any suggestions?????????????????????
WOW, what a pistol.

Incursion
December 17, 2000, 12:39 AM
When I get a chance, I'll post a pic of my refurb that was hardchromed. You can't even tell the millmark was ever there.

hickman
December 17, 2000, 10:43 AM
I just shot my recently acquired P7M13. I second all the good things said above, but noticed something that I would like to descibe for your input. When shooting Corbon +Ps, but not regular ammo, I seemed to notice a slight stinging on my trigger finger cuticle. Any ideas? I assumed it was gas from the piston, but wonder if it indicates a problem (other than my whining about a slight "sting"!). Also, anyone have experience with NP3ing a P7? (I have NP3ed 1911s, BTW). Thanks for any input as usual.

9mmepiphany
December 18, 2000, 01:34 PM
there shouldn't be any "blow-by" the piston unless you have a crack in the cylinder.:eek: by design, the gas vents back through the port, into the chamber, after the bullet clears the muzzle and the case is extracted. if you are getting gas blown out there should be some tattooing on your finger...that would be a PROBLEM

just a thought, it might be part of the trigger guard jumping back to hit your finger due to the increased recoil from the +p loads. try wrapping some tape around the trigger guard to see if it changes.

X-Man
December 25, 2000, 01:46 AM
My only beef w/ mine is that it gets red hot very quickly. I've just learned to take other guns w/ me when I'm out shooting. In reality if I ever had to use it in a defensive situation, I will fire 9 VERY well placed rounds in my target.