PDA

View Full Version : rimfire recommendation

wstein
August 31, 2012, 02:14 AM
here is my situation. I was looking through my ammo stock pile the other day and discovered at some point in time in the past I bought several boxes of .22 WMR ammo. Problem is I don't have anything that shots .22WMR. This is now a perfect justification for me to buy a rifle that shoots that caliber. I mean, I can't let that ammo go to waste, can I?. What is some recommendations for a good (sub-$300 range) rifle in that caliber.

I have seen several Savages on Buds that were pretty sharp looking. This one has really caught my eye

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_975/products_id/24155/Savage+93G+22WMR+AT+WOOD

Is there any others from say Ruger or Marlin or whomever else that I have missed?

Thanks in advance for your input

Powermwt
August 31, 2012, 02:34 AM
There are a lot of models in the $200 to $300 range.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/caliber-rifles-sale-online-store-firearms-c-9935_13987_14246_14263.html

dgludwig
September 1, 2012, 12:52 PM
I've had good luck with my s/s Marlin Model 882SS rifle chambered in .22 Magnum. It has a synthetic stock, is fed with a detachable box magazine and comes with open sights (though I have a Simmons 2 1/2 power scope mounted on it). Very accurate, tough and affordable (I paid $188.74 nib for mine at the local Wal Mart, but that was several years ago) little rifle.

coyota1
September 1, 2012, 05:38 PM
I have a marlin model 25/with a 3 x 9 simons, and it tack drives. A friend of mine has a ruger 77/22 and it tack drives. The ruger is built like a centerfire. A cz 453 would be another good choice. The marlin is the best value. They are inexpensive, but are built well, are reliable, and accurate.

wstein
September 1, 2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the ideals, however I went and pulled the trigger on a Savage 93btvs. It is a little more then the $300 limit, but it has the accu-trigger and a heavy barrel. I put it on layaway at Buds, plan on getting it out of hock in time for it to be my Xmas gift to myself.

Jack O'Conner
September 2, 2012, 01:44 PM
I've had very good luck with my Marlin in 22MAG. Clustered tiny groups at 75 yards! Trigger is exceptionally good.

Jack

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/Marlin22MAG.jpg

coyota1
September 2, 2012, 02:01 PM
I had my gunsmith glass bed, and hone the trigger on my marlin. It's a real keeper.

Joe Chicago
September 2, 2012, 05:00 PM
Another vote here for a Marlin bolt action, new or used

22-rimfire
September 3, 2012, 04:39 PM
I have a Marlin and am perfectily comfortable with it. Shoots well enough. I am likely to buy a CZ when I see one and have the funds.

But I will say that if you are actually using this as an excuse to buy a rifle, the $20 it cost for the ammo is not a biggie in the grand scheme of things. Have fun! :D

osbornk
September 3, 2012, 07:00 PM
My Marlin 25 sits beside my Marlin 60. Just something about a microgroove barrel. My first rifle was a J C Higgins single shot 22 my Dad bought from Sears for $10.88 back in the early 60s. It was made by Marlin.

coyota1
September 3, 2012, 07:16 PM
I had a Marlin 782 back in the late 80's and the model 25 looked essentially the same (both 22 WMR). It was a mistake selling the 782, and I can't wish the back, but the 25 took it's place fine.

AC 45-70
September 3, 2012, 08:54 PM
I would defiantly go with the marlin. I have the 917 and it cant be beat.

L_Killkenny
September 4, 2012, 10:31 AM
Think Henry lever or pump action, Remington 597M semi, used Ruger 9622M, used Winchester 9422M, etc etc. Albeit all of the above will be hard to find in your price range but a couple get close.

Now I'm gonna assume that you had a .22M when you bought the ammo. Be pretty dumb if you didn't. Well, why did you sell it? Is another gonna trip your trigger any better? In short, just cause you have ammo doesn't mean it's a good idea to throw good money after bad. I have dies, bullets and various supplies around for more than a couple calibers I no longer shoot, I'm not gonna buy another gun just to use em up.

dgludwig
September 4, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hmm...Well, I can't think of a better excuse for getting a new gun than already having ammunition for a gun I don't have. What a great inspiration! I'm now thinking of heading down to my local gun store and picking me up a couple of boxes of, oh, I don't know, maybe some .404 Jefferys. I've always wanted a nice double rifle. :)

wstein
September 8, 2012, 07:25 PM
I didn't have a 22m when I got that ammo, I think I got it mixed up with some 22lr ammo i was bulk buying a couple of years ago. I ended up with about 200 rds. I dont know anyone that had a 22mag, so I just kept it.

This is a odd ball purchase for me. I usually stick to calibers I already have in stock so don't have to keep a lot of different calibers of ammo stockpiled.

TX Hunter
September 9, 2012, 08:28 AM
I had a Marlin Bolt action .22 Mag once, I let it get away and have regreted it ever since, It was a very simple, accurate, and dependable Rifle.

Pahoo
September 9, 2012, 10:55 AM
wstein
I see nothing wrong with your initial listing as the price is right and you still have the accutrigger. By the way, I'm glad to see that I am not the only one that buys a gun to fit the ammo one has. Kind of like learning how to swim before buying a pair of trunks. ..... :eek:

I had a Marlin Bolt action .22 Mag once, I let it get away and have regreted it ever since, It was a very simple, accurate, and dependable Rifle. Same here and would not argue with this option. ... :)

Here is the one that I recently bought and what a shooter. ... ;)
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/savage-93btvs-magnum-rimfire-rifle-94725-magnum-rimfire-2075-bolt-action-laminated-thumbhole-stock-stain-steel-finish-p-96886.html

Be Safe !!!