PDA

View Full Version : Discriminated against.

4V50 Gary
August 30, 2012, 07:17 PM
So the local college has a gun club. They have shoots every week including trap, airgun and centerfire.

I ask if I may bring my beer can mortar. "Beer can mortar?" "Yes, a beer can mortar." "No." Geez.

:(

PetahW
August 30, 2012, 07:30 PM
Ya let ONE beer can morter in the door, and pretty soon someone will want hand grenade practice. :p Scheesh.

indy1919
August 30, 2012, 08:21 PM
And everyone knows Grenades are a Gateway-weapon to tactical nukes :D

mykeal
August 30, 2012, 08:37 PM
I have never personally seen a beer can mortar, but I have seen them douse somebody when opened if you shake them up good first.

Sport45
August 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
Go back and ask if a Coke can mortar would be okay. :)

robhof
August 30, 2012, 08:47 PM
Sport beat me to it, everyone knows booze and shooting don't mix. I'm glad my outdoor range has no such rules, I only have a 3/4 bore cannon, but it still draws a crowd when I bring it out and shoot it with 69cal balls in 12Ga shot cup sabots, quite accurate out to 20 yds with a 14" barrel.:D:cool:

indy1919
August 30, 2012, 11:00 PM
Now that all the fun stuff was said, to present the range side. Most of the Black powder cannons out there are for he most part Home builds and made by limited production companies. Now Some of these cannons and morters makers make better products then Smith and Wesson & Colt others can be a bit questionable.. Also there is the operator error that can mess up the best BP cannon making it into a bomb..

So I can understand a range taking the Safe approach by not allowing them so they do not have to judge the safe cannons from the Unsafe, The Idiots from the Safe Cannoneers.

But I do understand your aggravation, I have a couple of cannons and hate that look of "are-you-crazy" when you want to bring it somewhere to shoot..

Sure Shot Mc Gee
August 30, 2012, 11:28 PM
Gee life's tough. No one wants to have fun anymore on campus. Well all but Gary that is. ;)

g.willikers
August 30, 2012, 11:40 PM
Heck, you have the cannon.
Make some new rules.

Doc Hoy
August 31, 2012, 04:02 AM
Beer even could mortar.

I've seen Fresca or Mountain Dew mortar, but beer mortaring is a new one on me. It is generally not present when the mortaring happens in my experience. I think that is true because beer can rumble.

I even know a coupla guys who can mortar. But I swear I did not know that beer can mortar.

A day is not wasted if you learned something.

Thanks guys.

mykeal
August 31, 2012, 06:16 AM
So I can understand a range taking the Safe approach by not allowing them so they do not have to judge the safe cannons from the Unsafe, The Idiots from the Safe Cannoneers.
The same 'argument' applies to black powder kit pistols and rifles, including the custom built ones. It's utter nonsense.

bedbugbilly
August 31, 2012, 09:11 AM
+1 Indy1919 - I used to be on a NSSA artillery team - both Parrott Rifle AND Mortor. Before we were even allowed to compete, we had to undergo a full inspection of the tube on a regular basis.

When you are talking artillery, you are talking much larger powder loads that rifles/smoothbore long guns. It's fine to make jokes about it and have some humor . . . but I have seen far too many "unsafe practices" being done by those who think they know everything about firing muzzleloading artillery. I'm a firm believer that anyone who shoots BP artillery should go through a certification course on it - not unlike what is required for hunting, etc. by many states. I shot artillery for many years - I have witnessed individuals walking in front of loaded pieces, failure to sponge a bore, failure to thumb a vent while sponging and loading, failure to make sure the limber chest is closed, etc. Yea, accidents never happen . . . but when they do, it's too late. In the 60's I was at an event where there was an artillery accident - it took two lives and caused injury to several others. The cause . . . carelessness and failure to follow rules.

Yes . . . you could have the same thing with "kit" or "custom" guns . . . but hopefully, those pieces have barrels on them that were made by manufacturers who are experienced in making barrels. There are far too many "home made" artillery pieces that are made by folks who have no idea of metallurgy and what is required. How many of them do a inspection of the piece . . . how many of them check for eroded vents and how many of them have taken training on muzzleloading artillery safety/practices?

I don't mean to be a "wet blanket" here and I know that the OP was poking fun with his post . . . but . . . the truth of the matter is . . . a range has the right to set their rules and limitations . . . . and there are reasons for it . . . liability.

Stressfire
August 31, 2012, 09:39 AM
Beer can mortar? So is this made of beer cans or does it launch beer cans? Either way, sounds like alcohol abuse to me;)

Doc Hoy
August 31, 2012, 10:07 AM
Your post encouraging safety is beyond challenge and IMHO is worth a second.

I have only been to one artillery demonstration in my life. It was very interesting and everything came off without a hitch.

I can easily see how an experienced person would come to the conclusion that some form of training or at least some verification of the level of expertise of the gunners and some review of the equipment prior to the exercise is warranted.

Pahoo
August 31, 2012, 08:01 PM
"Beer can mortars?"
The worse thing about them is that it takes the rest of the day to get the smile off you face, after shooting one. .... :D

Be Safe !!!

jimbob86
August 31, 2012, 09:29 PM
Ya let ONE beer can morter in the door, and pretty soon someone will want hand grenade practice. Scheesh.

I always thought a game of practice rifle grenade lawn darts would be a hoot.

Incedentally, does anybody know where I can get seamless 22mm inside diameter aluminum tubing? :p

4V50 Gary
September 1, 2012, 07:41 AM
except mine's brass

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253961

m&p45acp10+1
September 2, 2012, 07:58 AM
Well I do not have a cannon I do have a tater shooter. When I took it to the range for a little fun. The response from the range master was that I could not shoot it unless I let him shoot it as well. :eek: We went through a couple of cans of cheap hair spray, and a whole bag of taters.:D

jimbob86
September 2, 2012, 09:56 AM
Potato guns are for placing taters on the berm ...... walking them out there is a PITA...... and they are biodegradable, so you don't have to walk out there and pick 'em up, either.......