PDA

View Full Version : I need a new CC for the warmer months.

militant
August 21, 2012, 07:25 PM
I have been CC a G22. It is not practical in the summer months. It has been being left in my vehicle alot. What would you recommend that will fit in a pair of jeans pockets or shorts ect?

9mm
August 21, 2012, 07:28 PM
Glock 23? 27?

I carry a 19 this summer no problems.

Glock 26 fits in my pockets, but usually its my 38 that lives in my pockets.. :D

willmc33
August 21, 2012, 07:29 PM
I live in a very hot and humid climate and I have pocket carried a Smith & Wesson J Frame .38 Special for over a decade. For weather like it gets here it cant be beat IMHO. My Shield 9mm conceals real nicely but it doesnt fit most of my pockets comfortably. The J frame is perfect for hot weather.

9mm
August 21, 2012, 07:30 PM
I live in a very hot and humid climate I do to, I think the best thing also is to wear a "wife beater" shirt. The past 10 months I wear double shirts now, a wifer beater in the summer and a white t shirt in the winter. It really helps with the gun carrying.

militant
August 21, 2012, 07:32 PM
A j frame smith and wesson? Ill look into that. I know little about revolvers.

militant
August 21, 2012, 07:34 PM
Does this revolver fair well in .357 or is .38 the cats meow?

9mm
August 21, 2012, 07:38 PM
Nothing wrong with a 38.

A j frame smith and wesson? Ill look into that. I know little about revolvers. Learn to shoot it good, I went to the range this week and used 75 rounds. I finally learned how to work the sights and I can keep a group now. Before they just go all over the circle. I could hit my target but could not form a group, now I can and very happy.

You probably wouldn't want to shoot 75 rounds in one day at the range with 38's though. My hand is still hurtin from the other day and my arm hurts from the stinging in the hand. I can feel the pain in the elbow. :(

militant
August 21, 2012, 07:42 PM
I am in the market for a revolver. This may be the one.

9mm
August 21, 2012, 07:43 PM
dont buy yet, get the non internal lock version

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=301985284 look at this one, I bought this one, no lock!

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=S%26W+no+lock+642

BGutzman
August 21, 2012, 07:45 PM
SIG P290 - Small yet very controllable, good bit smaller than the S&W Shield..

willmc33
August 21, 2012, 07:46 PM
For me in that weight and frame/grip size I stick with .38 Special. I keep mine stoked with 135 grain +P Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel loads and the nastiest .38 Special round I know of the Buffalo Bore 158 grain +p L.S.W.C.H.P, this round is a hard hitting .38. The options for carrying a J frame are extremely diverse, it gives a good serviceable cartridge, power vs weight is excellent, the abnormal shapes help it blend into clothing better IMO, can be more then accurate enough and easily controlled during rapis fire. There are other options for small snubbies such as the Ruger LCR but to me the J Frame is the bee's knee's. Tried and true, no nonsense about it. I carried a 642 for over 10 years and switched to a 638 because the trigger felt alittle lighter to me.

militant
August 21, 2012, 07:50 PM
How is the trigger pull with the hammer less set up? I would prefer a hammer just to have the lighter trigger pull option.

10mmAuto
August 21, 2012, 08:10 PM
A Makarov PM.

willmc33
August 21, 2012, 08:14 PM
@ Militant. The trigger is stiff but smooth on the 642, the 638 to me is a bit softer and smoother and does leave the option of going s/a if wanted/needed. It isnt a bad trigger its just a revolver trigger. A true DAO. Also and this is just my opinion but if you are wanting pocket carry go with a concealed hammer variety. This takes out a hammer spur snagging any clothing on the way out or in and leaves it where it can be fired from inside of a pocket if needed.

wayneinFL
August 21, 2012, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't recommend single action in a defensive situation, and I wouldn't recommend training that way.

S&W J frames come new with a heavy and long, but smooth trigger pull. Learn to manage the trigger and they're fine.

I can carry year round IWB with just about any gun under an untucked shirt, but a J frame Smith is great for pocket carry when I have a shirt tucked. Or when I just don't feel like carrying.

wayneinFL
August 21, 2012, 08:22 PM
I have a 642, 637, 638, and 36. All great guns. The only thing I would caution someone about regarding the 638 is that it could be a little awkward to decock if you cock it and for some reason decide not to shoot.

orionengnr
August 21, 2012, 08:35 PM
As far as pocket carry goes, I have owned a bunch of j-frames, K-Ts, etc, and have narrowed it down to two:
--Ruger LCP. Smallest, lightest pistol with a marginal SD round.
--Kahr PM9. Not much larger (and still a good bit smaller than a j-frame) with 6+1 rounds of 9mm +p.

Sinkhole
August 21, 2012, 10:25 PM
When Im not carrying my Ruger SR9c, I carry a Ruger LCP w/LG-431. It fits comfortably in your pocket or an IWB holster. I don't worry about the .380 I only carry Hornady Critical Defense and Speer GDHP, both proven rounds in this caliber.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/Sinkhole3000/Guns/RugerLCP.jpg

akguy1985
August 23, 2012, 06:34 AM
I carry a S&W 642-1 every, single day. Even when it was 114* here, if i had to be out it was on me. The grip screw has a tiny hint of surface rust but thats because its carbon steel and not stainless.

vba
August 23, 2012, 07:11 AM
Kahr CM9 or PM9, basically the same gun and easily carried in a pocket. My minimum is 9mm or .38 special for a defensive gun.

loose_holster_dan
August 23, 2012, 08:21 AM
i had the 642 for awhile. after i shot it the first time, i never carried it again. i hate that long, heavy pull.

Mercenary
August 23, 2012, 08:40 AM
I have a G17 that I carry IWB for cooler months, but for warmer months I absolutely love my Shield and I pocket carry. I wear cargo shorts which may have larger front pockets, not sure, but it works. Looks like I have a smart phone in my pocket.

Had I not been able to find a Shield, I was looking hard at the Kahr CM9.

cetanner
August 23, 2012, 10:30 AM
Mercenary: Do you carry the Shield loose in the pocket of your cargo pants or in a holster of some kind? If so, what kind of holster?

xLPlushy
August 23, 2012, 11:30 AM
OP, I was in the same situation a few months ago. The guys here had given great advice. I almost bought a Kahr CW9, but I found a S&W Shield and fell in love. I also started out with a G22. Now I carry an M&P Shield 9mm and a Ruger LCP. Much nicer than the Glock for summer months simply because the Glock prints a lot when wearing a t-shirt. The Shield disappears IWB and the LCP slips into my weak side front pocket as a backup. I carry the Shield in a DeSantis Sof-Tuck holster between 2-3 o'clock(strong side) and love it. It's absolutely reliable with 500 or so rounds down the pipe and no malfunctions. The LCP has about 150 thru it and has never had issues as well.

I wish you luck in your search!! Shoot what was suggested, and find the one YOU like!

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone

Mrgunsngear
August 23, 2012, 11:46 AM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1357.jpg

Bodyguard 380 goes into my front pocket frequently. 2 more rounds than most airweight revolvers, similar ballistics, 0 malfunctions through mine, better sights (with ability to add night sights).

BG380 Review Video Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfM_XJjda7s)

twobit
August 23, 2012, 12:11 PM
No one mentioned the NAA mini-mag yet. It is probably the smallest in size while still providing 5 shots(22 magnum). I've got one with a folding grip. It is not necessarily a primary CC gun. It is a "drop in your pocket" gun that goes in my pocket in the morning and stays there all day. 99% of the time I'm also carrying either a .380, a .38, a 9mm, or a 45 colt...but that little NAA is always there for that 1% time that I don't have one of the others.

scottycoyote
August 23, 2012, 03:52 PM
keltec p32 380 pf9 p11...or a jframe smith.

Coltman 77
August 23, 2012, 04:06 PM
Good suggestions in this thread OP. IMO, you should also consider a PPS.

Mine has been uber accurate and dead nuts reliable for three years.

German quality, easy to carry and a pleasure to shoot. Rather inexpensive -- a great value for the money.

Take a very close look at one. :)

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/cashbailey_photos/DSCN0002.jpg

xLPlushy
August 23, 2012, 09:36 PM
Ooo a German PPS. Very nice. The PPS is very similar in dimensions and weight and handling. Take a good look at both!

militant
August 23, 2012, 10:05 PM
Right now im on a toss up between the S&W .38 and a Ruger LCP.

willmc33
August 23, 2012, 10:11 PM
Go with the S&W .38, as reliable as a mechanical device can be and a good strong .38 load will romp any .380acp.

Shadi Khalil
August 24, 2012, 05:31 AM
How is the trigger pull with the hammer less set up? I would prefer a hammer just to have the lighter trigger pull option.

The trigger pull on all the S&W J-frames (excluding the pro and pc guns) will generally have the same pulls. I carry a 637 (J-frame with the exposed hammer) and find the hammer to be useless. I hardly ever use it and sometimes wish I had just gone with the concealed hammer version, the 642. The hammer never gets in the way and I really only went with the 637 for aesthetic reasons.

The best way to train with a snub is to shoot DAO. IMO, it's better that SA is not even an option for a serious defense snub.

OhHankins
August 24, 2012, 08:23 AM
I'm living in Las Vegas right now and feel like I even dress around my Glock 19 more than I'd like too. I like a Glock 26 IWB on hot days, but despite what people may say it doesn't fit well in pockets for me. I've heard good things about the Kahr CM9, and after looking at it at my local dealer I'm pretty sure that will be my next purchase. Good luck

ragwd
August 24, 2012, 09:12 AM
Depending on how warm a day, its either a RUGERLCP in a pocket holster in my back pocket. I sometimes forget I have it , it is so small. If I can go with a Hawiian shirt or a sports jersey I carry a GLOCK 36, A bit harder to conceal and heavier but i prefer the .45 acp.

militant
August 24, 2012, 09:19 AM
I'm liking how cheap the the LCP is as well. I know the .380 isn't as good as the .38 in ballistics, but I'll be carrying whatever hot round there is for it now and it will be good enough.

Mrgunsngear
August 24, 2012, 11:24 AM
I know the .380 isn't as good as the .38 in ballistics, but I'll be carrying whatever hot round there is for it now and it will be good enough.

Not trying to derail the thread but be careful with that assumption. You're absolutely right if you're talking about a 4'' revolver vs a sub 3'' semi, but with a lot of 2'' snubbies it's almost identical (sometimes less powerful depending on the amount of energy lost between the cylinder and barrel).

pturner67
August 24, 2012, 11:54 AM
Cz 2075 rami

Tactical Jackalope
August 24, 2012, 11:57 AM
i had the 642 for awhile. after i shot it the first time, i never carried it again. i hate that long, heavy pull.

ha! me too!

For those who pocket carry a 26/27 or snub nose....What kind of pants do you wear?!?!?

wstein
August 24, 2012, 03:16 PM
I live in Florida and I have come down to either a Shield or Kahr CW40 for IWB. Pocket carry is my LCP. Since I have recently switch from cargo shorts to dri-fit golf shorts, it is my Lcp more and more.

Undrpsi
August 24, 2012, 03:29 PM
This is my EDC. It's a Kel Tec P32. I carry it because you can literally forget it's in your pocket. It's like 9oz unloaded. You can carry it with 7 (or more) rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 60grain JHP...I promise you...you'll feel me.
I also have the Laserlyte side mounted laser on it...works very well..

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7249/7852986646_0ecdd64434.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sally-spider/7852986646/)
This thing is so light you'll be looking for where the caps go...

Just my .32 cents (after Obamacare)...

Jay

Johnnymurad
August 24, 2012, 11:18 PM
I mostly wear cargo shorts in the summer and I carry an LCR in a pocket holster in my right cargo pocket... forget it is there most of the time and .357 carries some serious power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s9hNelaiaQ

militant
August 25, 2012, 01:07 AM
I chose the LCP. What ammo should I use?

9mm
August 25, 2012, 01:09 AM
For those who pocket carry a 26/27 or snub nose....What kind of pants do you wear?!?!? Cargo shorts mate, I will post a picture later tomorrow or so when I get free time.

Do you wear tight @_@ jeans or something? because my "jeans" are super tight so I wear boot cut and my 38 goes on the ankle and the G19 in my galco super tuck.

Now my dress pants can fit them fine also, just jeans because they are soooo tight. It takes two fingers to get my wallet out, and a pain to do.

Tactical Jackalope
August 25, 2012, 05:12 AM
Lol. Not super tight. But I always dress fitted, and carry full sized. I couldn't dream of pocket carry. Plus small guns don't work in my monstrous hands.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / Beretta PX4 Storm / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / Kahr CW9 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android

xLPlushy
August 25, 2012, 06:33 AM
OP, I shoot Herter's Select Grade brass case at the range, since that's what's the cheapest. I have no complaints with it so far. For carry I have it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. I have heard Cor-Bon makes a good hot defense load for the .380 as well, but I have no experience with it. The Critical Defense feeds reliably in mine.

Have fun, and be safe!

BarkSlayer
August 26, 2012, 07:20 AM
CZ 75D PCR. It's small enough for carry, big enough to get the job done and the most accurate pistol you'll ever own.

Johnnymurad
August 26, 2012, 09:18 PM
I carry my lcr with .357 hornady custom ammo, looks the same as critical defense to me.

357autoloader
August 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
CCW is about planning not the size of the gun. I own a Kahr PM9, I love that gun, really do. Most of the time it just sits. I carry a G31 daily and we have had a couple months in a row of 90+ heat here. You wanna wear shorts and a tank, plan ahead, have the right equipment. I don't like carrying different guns all the time. Not saying I don't or won't just that I don't like to. The thing I always do is carry, so good on you OP for seeking options.