PDA

View Full Version : AK47 Barrel Brake

glassguy
August 18, 2012, 07:13 PM
Why is the standard Tapco barrel brake that I bought keyed so that is slants to the left or right instead of sitting "square" to the front sight? The original factory brake is also keyed out of square with the barrel. What is the purpose? Thanks in advance. G

spacecoast
August 18, 2012, 07:31 PM
Both the original slant brake and the M16-style brake that I replaced it with fit squarely on my AK. Both were/are Tapco parts. Maybe it's the barrel threads that have an issue (or maybe not). I'd be a little concerned if it's a cage-style brake. Mine doesn't leave a lot of room for error in the path of the bullet.

glassguy
August 18, 2012, 07:37 PM
What I used is as close to the original factory brake as I could find. It is about an inch long with a bevel cut on the end. There is a spring loaded button under the front sight and 2 notches in the edge of the barrel brake. The brake is prevented from turning by the connection of the pin and the notch.

Eghad
August 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
Depends on which way recoil makes the gun go.....

AK103K
August 18, 2012, 09:04 PM
The slant brakes were made to counter muzzle rise in full auto fire. They are supposed to direct the muzzle downwards in the direction they are offset to. They are questionable in effectiveness at best. Proper technique is much more effective.

For semi autos, they complete the look, other than that......

Now the true 74 type brakes do have somewhat of a felt effect on recoil on semi auto guns, compared to guns without them, but they also tend to be a lot louder and flashier than guns without them.

glassguy
August 19, 2012, 06:40 AM
I had wondered about recoil...I can't really see how this kind of brake would be very effective. Thanks for the reply, G

spacecoast
August 20, 2012, 07:21 AM
I can't really see how this kind of brake would be very effective

Assuming semi-automatic operation, I agree. Any brake will protect the threaded end of the barrel. I broke the welds on my slant brake and replaced it with a Tapco M16-style full cage muzzle brake. I think it looks better and cleaner, at least.

Before

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac115/spacecoast_guns/AK/slantbrake2.jpg

After

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac115/spacecoast_guns/AK/akbrakem16.jpg

AK103K
August 20, 2012, 02:09 PM
I know Tapco calls those a "brake", but I believe they are actually just a flash suppressor, which they state in their product description. They do nothing to reduce muzzle rise or recoil.

Personally, I think the flash suppressor is the way to go for the AK. The brakes that that Ive used and actually work, did nothing for flash suppression, and actually seemed to enhance it. While you can feel a slight difference in felt recoil using one, the 7.62x39 doesnt have recoil that I would call unpleasant, and you benefit more from the flash suppression.

That one looks good on your gun spacecoast, and your weld removal came out well. Thats about the only thing Tapco I think Id bother with.

spacecoast
August 20, 2012, 02:23 PM
That one looks good on your gun spacecoast, and your weld removal came out well. Thats about the only thing Tapco I think Id bother with.

Thanks, I also went with their collapsible stock and handguards. All were a bear to fit on my Lancaster, I think due to the rifle having some non-standard pieces/parts, but I am happy with the results.