PDA

View Full Version : kahr cm9 or wait for shield?

Vermonter
August 16, 2012, 01:35 PM
The title mostly speeks for itself. I am thinking of a single stack 9 for ccw. Seing as my friends at Glock don't make one I will have to venture outside of that box for this purchase.

I am down to these tow models after extensive research. While I am not thrilled that the CM9 doesn't come with two mags I am not going to let that make my purchase decision for me.

My question is can anyone sway me one direction or the other? If not I am inclined to go with the CM9 because it has been in production longer and is readily available.

Regards, Vermonter

Roland Thunder
August 16, 2012, 02:00 PM
Depends on how you are going to carry it. With the CM9 you can carry it either in your pocket or IWB. With the Shield, it's only IWB. I would choose the CM9 on that basis. Then again, I'm biased, I have a PM9.

Vermonter
August 16, 2012, 02:04 PM
I have an LCP and a 642 for pocket duty. I tend to carry OWB however with a single stack I might just go Iwb.

As a PM9 owner what holsters and carry gear have you found to be useful? Also I have read mixed messages on the drop free mag thing. I am given to understand that perhaps the CM9 mag does not in fact drop when the mag release is pressed?

Regards, Vermonter

Mercenary
August 16, 2012, 02:09 PM
No experience with Kahr but I love my Shield. I too considered Kahr but I didn't like the fact that Kahr recommends to use the slide release to allow the slide to move forward versus racking it back. I've read that some users experienced failures to completely go into battery if they rack the slide. Personally I'm not a fan of special needs weapons. But my opinion is based on hearsay not experience. YMMV.

Kahrs have a great DAO trigger, I have dry fired a few. However, as a Glock owner I prefer a striker trigger with a shorter reset than that of a DAO. For this reason and what I mentioned above, I went with the Shield. Either should serve you just fine. FWIW, I pocket carry my Shield.

SRH78
August 16, 2012, 02:19 PM
I have shot a PM9 and a Shield 40 recently. Both are good guns and I don't think you can go wrong either way. I am leaning towards the CM because it is a little smaller and the trigger is a little smoother. If you can, definitely try both for yourself.

MP9
August 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
what pistol do you have or are used to shoot?

I was looking for a small carry gun like cm9 but then I read the m&p shield was coming to the market so I waited and got it. very nice gun, some people can carry it in the pocket but I think it is not so easy that way, it is more like to carry IWB but very good to conceal, 7+1 or 8+1 round... and the trigger is like the others m&p and kind of similar to glock trigger, while the pm9 is longgggg, same with the reset...

what state are you from? it could depend of where you live, cold, hot, warm and the way you dress.

I took my shield for an IDPA I didnt have any problem shooting it. I am used to use my glock 19 or m&p... 0 problem with the trigger, and fast shooting. probably I could have problem with the trigger if a take another type of trigger (long pull)

artburg
August 16, 2012, 02:53 PM
Smith+Wesson,Strictly based on who owns Kahr

ShipWreck
August 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
Depends on how you are going to carry it. With the CM9 you can carry it either in your pocket or IWB. With the Shield, it's only IWB. I would choose the CM9 on that basis.

Yes, no way possible to pocket carry a Shield... Just can't be done... :confused:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/pocket1.jpg

I've pocket carried my first Shield for almost 3 months now. Nary a problem. Sold my 2.5 year old Kahr PM9 the first week I had the Shield. EVen bought a 2nd one.

SIze comparizon with the Kahr:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/kahrshield2.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/kahrshield1.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/doubleshield.jpg

Smit
August 16, 2012, 08:18 PM
Try to find at least a showroom only shield and get ahold of a Kahr and see which feels better to you. Also, don't buy a pistol based on temporary unavailability. Im sure most of are guilty of impulse buying a gun and wishing we had saved for a nicer model of some other sort.

Mrgunsngear
August 16, 2012, 08:30 PM
I have both and really like both---neither will ever be sold :D

For pocket carry---CM9
For IWB---Shield
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1372.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1371.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1102.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1101.jpg

willmc33
August 16, 2012, 09:38 PM
Having owned both and still own a Shield 9mm I suggest the Shield highly. It has become one of my favorite carry pistols I have ever tried or owned. It is an exceptional CCW pistol. Well made, accurate, soft shooting, good trigger, good sites, ergonomic, completely reliable in 980 rounds. A great little pistol.

thinktwice
August 16, 2012, 10:08 PM
I was waiting on a Shield also ( I will still get one if I can find one) but I found a CM-9 at the last gun show that I couldn't turn down. I couldn't be happier. It conceals great. I pocket carry mine. The trigger is as smooth as butter and it's very accurate. It didn't even need Kahrs 200 round break in period. It has been 100% from day one straight out of the box. I now have 450 trouble free rounds through it thus far. I would still like to have a Shield but I am going to keep the CM-9 for sure.

checkmyswag
August 16, 2012, 10:26 PM
I vote shield.

plouffedaddy, how do you like that White Hat holster?

I just got mine a few weeks ago and really like it.

Departed402
August 17, 2012, 01:47 AM
I'd say the Kahr, but then of course... I hate manual safeties.

checkmyswag
August 17, 2012, 06:49 AM
That's a good point. The shield is not a "small" gun.

Watch your lane.

Mrgunsngear
August 17, 2012, 08:09 AM
plouffedaddy, how do you like that White Hat holster?

I'm a fan. I like that you can just change out the kydex instead of having to buy a new holster for every gun...

Fishbed77
August 17, 2012, 09:49 AM
I too considered Kahr but I didn't like the fact that Kahr recommends to use the slide release to allow the slide to move forward versus racking it back.

I own a CM9, and despite the recommendation to use the slide release, I've never had a round fail to chamber when racking or slingshotting the slide just as I would do for any other semi-automatic.

KyJim
August 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
I own and like the Kahr CM9. I will carry it in a pocket holster and, sometimes, IWB. It has an excellent trigger for the type of gun it is. I do not have a Shield so I can't really say too much about it. I will say that if I did not want the option to pocket carry a 9mm, I would go with something slightly larger than the CM9, possibly the Kahr CW9 (or maybe the Shield).

Vermonter
August 18, 2012, 01:00 PM
I am in toss up land it is most likely going to come down to which I can get first.

serf 'rett
August 18, 2012, 01:27 PM
Depending on your size and build, it is possible to pocket carry the Shield or Kahr, in fact, I mostly pocket carry the larger Kahr P9. With my large hands, I didn't like the dangling pinky when I tried the PM9/CM9 versions, so I opted for the larger Kahr P9. Great trigger and I like the longer DOA pull for a self-defense weapon. Shoots very good groups. No safety – just point and shoot. Recommended.

Recently shot a Shield. Had a good feel (ergonomics for my hand) and grouped good for me. Had a good feel for the trigger - short pull and clean break. I think I’d want a safety with that short trigger pull. Left the range, went direct to the local gun store and they had just sold their last Shield (it was probably a good thing too, since that would have been hard to explain to my wife and would have delayed getting that .45 I’ve been hankering fer.) Honestly, I don’t think you’d go wrong in getting the Shield either.

I think your research has led you in the right direction. You might take a gander at a Kahr P9 if you see one. It's around $100 more; however, you get the extra magazine (mine came with the 8 shot extended mag.)

redneck
August 18, 2012, 03:21 PM
I'm stuck in this debate as well. I currently carry the M&P compact 9 and I like it alot. My girlfriend has been shooting it too but the grip seems a little big for her even with the small insert. Been considering a single stack 9mm for myself for easier iwb carry and its looking like that may be a good shooter for her too.
I handled a CW9 today and would buy it if I didn't know about the shield. Great size, nice smooth trigger thats very light for a DAO. Not a bad price. We both like the M&P though, are used to the trigger and the reviews are all great. Seems like a no brainer to add a shield to the safe when its so similar to what I carry now. Trouble is finding one. I only know of one local dealer thats big enough to have even recieved any and they're sold out. I really don't want to put money down and be on a waiting list for who knows how long without even seeing the gun in person.

jfrey
August 18, 2012, 08:45 PM
I had a CW9 and traded it. Never was 100% reliable. It didn't like my loads and had some light strikes. The trigger was smooth but long. Too long for my liking. CS wasn't bad but wasn't great either.

That being said; I recently bought my third Shield. After a couple hundred rounds the trigger is smooth and the pull is right, in my mind, for a carry gun. The first two shoot my loads without hesitation and haven't had a single problem with either. I'm putting the third one up for my grandson. I carry the Shield OWB and you can't tell I have it. The Shield is very well made and well balanced in my hand. S&W built a winner with the Shield and I would really suggest you wait on one before you settle on something else.

Vermonter
August 18, 2012, 10:03 PM
Jfrey, how bout you sell me one of yours?

nyc71
August 19, 2012, 01:35 AM
I own a CM9, and despite the recommendation to use the slide release, I've never had a round fail to chamber when racking or slingshotting the slide just as I would do for any other semi-automatic.

Same here.