PDA

View Full Version : Good .22 revolver

Bartholomew Roberts
December 12, 2000, 02:05 PM
Can anybody recommend a good .22 revolver, either single-action or double-action. Should have sufficient accuracy for good hunting but be small enough that it could be carried concealed in a pinch - so 4" or 5" barrel maximum.

Calif Hunter
December 12, 2000, 03:14 PM
There are several good .22 revolvers out there. The question would be how important "concealability" is. A Ruger Single-Six is good and comes in a 4 5/8 inch barrel, but a single action is perhaps less "hideable" than a DA. I like my H&R 999 Sportsman. It holds 9 rounds and comes in a 4-inch version if you can find one. Taurus also makes a variety of .22 revolvers...blued, stainless, various barrel lengths. Good Luck!

ChrisR246
December 12, 2000, 03:55 PM
I'll 2nd the H&R Sportsman Model 999. I have my uncle's - it's a lot of fun to shoot and plenty accurate for plinking/informal shooting. I believe they have started aming them again or did for a while.

Ala Dan
December 12, 2000, 05:15 PM
Since it must be concealable, how about a old S&W model 18?:D Saw one recently in the Birmingham, AL news classified's for $209.00!!!:) I believe the add belonged
to Plaza Gun & Pawn? These make nice, little trail guns;
and I prefer them over the same manufacturer's "kit guns".

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Bartholomew Roberts
December 13, 2000, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

AndyP
December 13, 2000, 10:36 AM
I bought a S&W Model 317 Kit Gun for my wife some time ago. It has a 3" barrel and adjustable sights and shoots quite accurately. Cylinder holds 8 shots and it weighs only 11-12 oz. Don't know how rugged it is, but it is a sweet shooter.

Swamp Yankee
December 13, 2000, 09:00 PM
If your interested in single action how about the new Ruger Bearcat. There's one at the local shop that has me thinking. Pretty, compact, light, fairly price, and built like a Ruger. For a small gun they have a nice feel and balance. I have not shot one yet but I understand they shoot well. Perhaps another TFL'er could provide better insight into the Bearcat's accuracy.
Good luck and enjoy your search.

dalpra
December 15, 2000, 11:24 PM
Go for the Colt Diamondback. It comes in 2.5, 4 or 6" VR barrel, adjustable sights, great trigger, accurate. Not cheap, though.

SlackO
December 15, 2000, 11:42 PM
I love my S&W 617 (pre sellout of course). 10 shot .22 stainless revolver w/hogues - how can you beat that?

TABING
December 17, 2000, 06:16 AM
I like my S&W mdl 650 (I think) 3' heavy barrel, fixed sights, and interchargable .22mag cylinder. Tough to find one nowadays though.

RonH
December 17, 2000, 11:16 AM
I had a S&W model 63 kit gun, fun but difficult to shoot accurately. I have a 4" M17 that is very easy to shoot accurately, and with combat grips would be concealable, however I prefer the larger target grips that are usually found on M19's. I think the M18 is the same as my gun, and the M17 was made in 4" after the M18 was discontinued. I also had a 4" Diamondback, that I traded for a 6". Both very accurate but I wish I'd have kept the 4" and just bought the 6" without trading. Well, hindsight. Anyway the kit gun was fun, but like I said, was more difficult to shoot accurately, probably because of the light weight.