PDA

View Full Version : 2004 P228- fair price?

Fontus
August 8, 2012, 02:38 PM
I just put down some money to hold this p228 at a local firearms pawn shop, and they're asking $600. I looked up some similar serial numbers of 228's, and it seems like this is from 2004. It's not a police trade-in, and the condition seems good, minus slight receiver wear. It comes with the pictured rubber hogue grip, one mag, and the leather holster seen in the picture. Does this seem a little high? I've been seeing other 228's floating around in the 450-550 range with extras

Mrgunsngear
August 8, 2012, 02:48 PM
I think it seems a little high but not outrageous.

Fontus
August 8, 2012, 02:53 PM
Are they more expensive or less the older they get? Or is that negligible?

MK11
August 8, 2012, 03:09 PM
I think it's a little high. I bought a used P228 with a CCR finish, night sights (fading) and four mags for $575 a few years ago, Just one mag and an aftermarket grip would detract from the value.

On the other hand, once the crying is over, it's still a P228.

As far as value, it depends on who is selling. Sig aficianados will pay a premium for a West German Sig. Somebody else might sell one for more because they assume newer is better. Purely subjective but late 80s through 1990s was the Golden Age for Sig. Doesn't mean they haven't made excellent guns since, particularly with a proven model like the P228.

Ridge_Runner_5
August 8, 2012, 03:10 PM
I think it seems fair.

Hell, I paid $850 for mine.

David the Gnome
August 8, 2012, 03:46 PM
I'd say more than a little high, that's a lot high. I would definitely not pay that much for one, especially not in the condition pictured. You could get a P229 in much better shape than that for less money.

You might want to look at the SP2022. Bud's has them brand new for $402 shipped. You might even be able to find one cheaper locally.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_28/products_id/14900/Sig+Sauer+SP20229B+2022+Standard+9mm+3.9%22+10%2B1+Black+Synthet

sigarms228
August 8, 2012, 04:09 PM
Are they more expensive or less the older they get? Or is that negligible?

The most desirable P228s are W.German/German proofed ones with triple serial numbers but beyond that IMO age does not have anything to do with the value.

Used p228s vary quite a bit in value based on their condition and if they come with original box/case, manual, and test target. Lately LNIB (original finish) examples of W. German/German P228s with original box/case and paperwork including test target have been SELLING for up to $1300.

IMO an average used P228 in very good condition without original box/case probably is worth "around" $550 depending on location and actual condition.

If you really like that P228 go for it and once you shoot it you will forget about if you paid a few dollars more than you needed to or not.

Fontus
August 8, 2012, 04:18 PM
How much should I be asking for the condition pictured? I looked at some 229's, but the only one they carried that was in my price range was in the .40. I wanted it in the 9mm, however. The 2202 felt really off in my big hands, my hand hung off a little and it was awkward. I love the feel of this gun, it fit like a glove in my hands but with more compactness than the 226. Does the aftermarket grip detract value? What can i point out that will get the price dropped, and to how low?

Fontus
August 8, 2012, 04:35 PM
Also, I'm guessing it's a CPO, but I'm not sure. It's on hold until next week because of the 3 week hold rule for trade-ins to check their serial numbers. Would that make a significant change in value?

TunnelRat
August 8, 2012, 04:37 PM
Kind of scratching my head at the people that say this is way overpriced. I think it's probably a bit high, but prices depend on location. That's not a beater IMO. It has some slide wear from a holster yea, but I can't see any scratches or gouges. Can you find cheaper on gunbroker? Probably, but the condition will likely be worse than that. Then there's always the story of someone who got one for a song and a prayer. Those kind of deals don't come around all the time. I'd say $500 would be a better price, see if he'll meet you in the middle.

TunnelRat
August 8, 2012, 04:38 PM
If it's a CPO it should come in a red box. I'd be a little doubtful on the CPO though. Usually they refinish the slides on a CPO.

Fontus
August 8, 2012, 04:48 PM
Oh, and the picture I a little deceiving. What looks like slide wear on the top edge of the receiver is actually glare from the overhead lights. Yes, it has some wear, but it's better in person than the pic. I was very satisfied with the little amount of wear.

Fontus
August 8, 2012, 05:04 PM
The only significant issue I had with it was the faded night sights. They need to be replaced because they are pretty dull. How much would that cost to replace?

got2hav1
August 8, 2012, 05:04 PM
I agree that price is not that bad. I say if you like it buy. You won't find them much cheaper for sure. P228 is a great pistol. I don't recall seeing any P228s less than 550 lately in my area. You can find new orginal grips for less than 20 bucks. Extra mags are going to hurt a little more but shop around and you can probably do ok. Buy it. You will not be sorry. :)

Fontus
August 8, 2012, 05:10 PM
I'm definitely going to get it, I'm just going to see if I can have him throw in an extra magazine or lower the price by 50, if not then it was still worth a try. Thanks guys for all your help!

loose_holster_dan
August 8, 2012, 05:37 PM
just got a brand new p229 with night sights and short reset trigger for $665.

Fontus
August 8, 2012, 05:44 PM
I just stopped by the shop and he threw in three new mags and a sig case. Not too shabby

Fontus
August 8, 2012, 05:46 PM
The night sights have some glow left in them, but they'll need to be replaced in the future. How much should I expect to throw down on those? $120?

WVsig
August 8, 2012, 06:18 PM
With the extra mags assuming that they are factory or at least Mecgars makes is a solid deal. Not a super deal but you did good IMHO.

Trijicon can relamp the night sights for about $20 a lamp. The nice part is you only have to send the slide so shipping is cheap.

Enjoy the P228 is my one of my favorite Sigs. It truly is a wonder 9mm. It is more accurate than most shooters, has high enough capacity and does not weight a ton. For me is balances well in my hand. It is different than the P229 which IMHO is top heavy due to the stainless steel slide.

Enjoy!!!!

TunnelRat
August 8, 2012, 06:24 PM
Yea if those were MecGars or factory mags you did pretty well :).

WVsig
August 8, 2012, 06:30 PM
Yea if those were MecGars or factory mags you did pretty well

Exactly....

3 new Mecgars =$65 If they were factory 13s then knock another $30 off.
Holster= $20 used
It drops the price of the P228 with replaceable night sights 1 mag in a Sig Box to $515

That gun has some finish wear but as long as it is mechanically sound it will serve you well for a long time.

Fontus
August 8, 2012, 06:32 PM
Two are new factory sigs and one was an old sig that was a little bit of a beater, all are 13 rd. The two new ones are flawless

sigarms228
August 8, 2012, 08:02 PM
I just stopped by the shop and he threw in three new mags and a sig case. Not too shabby

NICE. You did well. Let us know how it shoots! :cool:

Fontus
August 8, 2012, 08:10 PM
Will do, I can't pick it up until the 15th, so i'm itchin to get to the range! Thanks for all the help! Oh, one more thing...which is the best type (grain, etc) 9mm ammo for the range, and which is the best hollow point home defense?

WVsig
August 8, 2012, 08:29 PM
It should eat any 9mm ammo you can find. I would look for champion brass at Wally World or order something online but there it's best to buy in bulk. As far as JHP for Sigs I like 124gr Gold Dots but again almost everything should run.

got2hav1
August 8, 2012, 09:08 PM
Good buy. Enjoy your new P228!:)

Fontus
August 12, 2012, 04:27 AM
One more question, how much does the label of being a CPO effect price?

Chesster
August 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
About 3 years ago I found one around 85%, mechanically sound, with new Sig grips and three factory mags for $300 delivered. One of those rare occasions where the sports god smiled on me.

Fontus
August 12, 2012, 08:23 PM
Update: I went to a phx gun show today and picked up a CPO 228 with red box, 2 new sig factory 13 rd mags, a lock, manual, and factory warranty for $600. It's in flawless condition and I'm itchin to get tithe range to try her out! Thanks for the advice!