PDA

View Full Version : XDM 40 subcompact remorse and XDM 9 failures

rem44m
August 6, 2012, 05:09 PM
Alright, I did something shameful. I sold my XDM 40, that ran flawlessly, felt great in my hand, and I could shoot it very well! It was an awesome carry piece. I sold it for a 44 magnum that I have no regrets purchasing however the XDM filled a niche for me that only an XDM can fill I've decided.

Now I know some of you will say you never sell any gun for this reason, which is fine, I wish I could be in that club but if I want to stay married I have to sell one before I can buy another one.

So my conclusion is to get another XDM but this time I want to get it in 9mm but I have one question. Will the XDM 9 fail when limp wristing?

One of the first things I do when I get a new pistol is make sure it will cycle even when limp-wristing (I read an article about a guy that got shot in his forearm and could not grip his pistol fully causing it to FTE so now I make sure all mine will cycle with just a trigger pull)

For anyone curious I could not get the XDM40 subcompact to fail in anyway, limp wristing included.

tahunua001
August 6, 2012, 09:55 PM
limp wristing will not cause an XDM to fail. the guy described was more than likely panic stricken from being shot and was not properly gripping the gun, failing to depress the grip safety and inturn rendering his last line of defense inoperable. if you were able to handle the XDM40, the XDM9 will be just as easy.

i've limpwristed all of my XDMs, never had a failure. in the military the instructors taught us that a relaxed shooting hand is the key to good accuracy so they made us shoot using only our firing thumbs to grip the gun and the supporting hand to keep the gun steady. I liked that stance so much that I use it with all of my handguns. sometimes causes problems with glocks so I have to adjust accordingly but if you really don't have the strength in your hand to let your gun rock between your thumb and trigger finger then you probably should have spent more time practicing with your non firing hand.

Outdoorsman5
August 10, 2012, 12:12 PM
I bought an XDM 9mm 4.5" barrel in 2009. It shoots very well, and has been very reliable. I recently taught my son how to shoot smaller calibers, but he wanted to try out my XDM. For safety, I helped him hold the gun, but couldn't get a firm grip around his hands and around the gun. This caused the gun to malfunction due to limp-wristing (almost every time he pulled the trigger.) After several of these alarming malfunctions I told him he needed to be a little bigger before shooting that gun again. This was disappointing to me though; I didn't think the gun would malfunction so easily. I still love the gun, so long as I'm not limp-writing it.
Hope that helps.