PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee CCW permit holders....I know your name

TennJed
August 6, 2012, 12:36 AM
I wanted to pass this along and see what your opinions are. I saw this on another forum and wanted to share. This is a link to the Memphis TN newpaper which has a database of virtually every TN permit holder and their FULL name, their birth year, city, county, zip code, issue date, and exp date.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/data/gunpermits/?appSession=087311010571679

This is rather distrubing to me. Not sure what good having this info out there does and why it is even there.

Do other states do this?

Bill DeShivs
August 6, 2012, 12:41 AM
The Commercial Appeal is rabidly anti-gun.
Seems like an injunction against this was ordered by a judge-maybe not.

TennJed
August 6, 2012, 12:50 AM
I have the CA and never read it, maybe that is why this slipped past me. But this is crazy to me. No benifit to anyone having this out there

Aguila Blanca
August 6, 2012, 05:12 AM
Newspapers in other states have done, or attempted, the same thing. It is nothing more than a blatant attempt to intimidate firearms owners.

Some states have enacted legislation prohibiting the release of this data, specifically in response to such efforts by "the media."

mete
August 6, 2012, 06:17 AM
Try to get the name , address etc of everyone on the paper and publish that.

Mike Irwin
August 6, 2012, 06:30 AM
Some clown in Roanoke, Virginia, area did this a couple of years ago as an exercise in open records/freedom of the press kind of thing.

He didn't expect the response that he got.

His home address, phone number, and other personal particulars were published online (even though he worked very hard to keep them private), and the backlash from gunowners was dramatic.

I think that maybe even his social security number was published online.

I'm not so sure that he ever really saw the problem, even though he said that he did.

But, his exercise backfired on him badly, because the state has been progressively tightening up on access to those records.

Dondor
August 6, 2012, 09:30 AM
Makes it easier for the thugs in Memphis to find guns they need.

I do remember they (either the CA or another TN newspaper) did the same thing, might have been Nashville, a few years ago and there was some backlash then as well.

Glad I live in MS, but still close enough to Memphis for it to bother me.

Stressfire
August 6, 2012, 09:51 AM
Couple of "journalists" in North Carolina did the same last month:
LINK (http://www.infowars.com/outrage-after-news-channel-helps-public-identify-gun-owners/)

Wasn't too terribly hard to track down their Facebook, LinkedIn, and other social media and give them a taste of their own medicine.;)

ClydeFrog
August 6, 2012, 11:30 AM
My state's former Gov signed a new law while he was in office a few years ago that changed the concealed carry license records for private citizens.
Now, home addresses are no longer printed on the plastic licenses & the public can no longer access any state database information(names, phone numbers, mail addresses, etc) online.
The NRA was a big part of the changes and it made it better for residents/license holders to stay private if they choose.

Sworn & retired LE officers get the same treatment and have restricted access to their details if they get other state licenses(PI, armed security, security manager, etc).

Clyde

jasmith85
August 6, 2012, 11:51 AM
It is rather odd to me that it is legal for them to list our names like that but its not like there is enough info there for anyone to do anything with it. You can't really do that much with just a name and zip code and I could care less if people know I have a carry permit. I've never understood why people are so obsessed with keeping their info like this private. Its not like its really that private in the first place. My job involves looking at the personal information of every person that has bought a hunting or fishing license in about half the United States and there are a lot of people that have jobs like mine. You would be surprised how many people could find your SSN if they wanted to.

BryanP
August 6, 2012, 11:59 AM
I do remember they (either the CA or another TN newspaper) did the same thing, might have been Nashville, a few years ago and there was some backlash then as well.

It was the CA back then too. They've had this list for several years now and keep it updated. I'm in their database along with many other TN HCP holders.

Stressfire
August 6, 2012, 03:41 PM
You can't really do that much with just a name and zip code and I could care less if people know I have a carry permit.

You would be surprised to know what can be done with just that and the information that has been made available is a bit more than just that.

In the WRAL site mentioned in the article I linked narrows it down by block - would you trust your neighbors not to answer seemingly innocent questions asked by strangers? I wouldn't

dstryr
August 6, 2012, 04:18 PM
Shane Goodman & Jared Curtis (http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/concealed-carry-issues-discussions/122459-des-moines-iowa-paper.html) of "City View", a small Des Moines, IA paper published 5200+/- names in April of 2011. Not a popular move around here. Their public info was posted in the above link. Quite appropriate, IMHO.

Aguila Blanca
August 6, 2012, 06:49 PM
It is rather odd to me that it is legal for them to list our names like that but its not like there is enough info there for anyone to do anything with it. You can't really do that much with just a name and zip code and I could care less if people know I have a carry permit. I've never understood why people are so obsessed with keeping their info like this private.
You ARE joking, right? With a name and a zip code, unless you have a VERY common name anybody can have your street address within about 30 seconds, courtesy of web phone directories such as switchboard.com and 411.com. And, as noted a couple of posts above yours, for crooks a list of concealed carry permit holders is a "targeted" (no pun intended) list of places that are most likely to have firearms in the house. So, if you're a bad guy looking to score some guns, would you choose to just drive down a street and pick houses at random, or would you start with a list of houses that are known to have guns?

SatCong
August 6, 2012, 07:08 PM
No, you don't know my name.

Kreyzhorse
August 6, 2012, 07:32 PM
Try to get the name , address etc of everyone on the paper and publish that.

+1. Public recorded is after all public record.

TennJed
August 6, 2012, 07:48 PM
No, you don't know my name

SatCong is that you?

THORN74
August 6, 2012, 08:33 PM
I'm in Illinois, probably the worst state in the country to be a gun owner. Several news agencies tried this same tactic of publishing gun owners info, the AG even went as far as to order the state police to release the names. Luckily the state police said no, and the legislature then passed a law exempting this info from FOIA requests, and requiring a warrent to be issued to release the info to LEOs.

Imagine that we actually got that one right.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

arktravler
August 7, 2012, 04:20 PM
Some Little Rock rag did that in Arkansas a year or so ago. The feller didn't like so much when his home address and phone # was put out!:D

silent_assasin
August 8, 2012, 01:39 AM
I'm listed too, :( Is there any way to stop this?

cookie5
August 9, 2012, 06:25 PM
The criminals should know who to not take the chance of messing with.

johnwilliamson062
August 12, 2012, 12:31 AM
No one posted the info yet? I have a few free minutes and was thinking of making a call?

Master Blaster 2
August 12, 2012, 02:41 PM
Been done in Iowa.

http://www.guns.com/des-moines-iowa-newspaper-names-5200-concealed-carriers-707.html

Discern
August 12, 2012, 05:36 PM
Here is a possible angle. When a person who does not have a CC permit is attacked, bring a civil lawsuit against the paper. Bring in the argument that since they published all that have a CC permit, the criminal element would also know who does not have a permit and target them. Also have those with CC permits who have an encounter bring a civil lawsuit arguing the point they were targeted because of the published data. Such a lawsuit could make it to the class action status. I am not one who likes lawsuits, but I do believe it would be very reasonable to file a lawsuit in cases like this. Civil lawsuits are not based on without reasonable doubt like a criminal case so the burden of proof is much lower.

Boatme98
August 12, 2012, 05:40 PM
It is rather odd to me that it is legal for them to list our names like that but its not like there is enough info there for anyone to do anything with it

And yet the same folks insist we don't need voter ids.

Eagleks
August 13, 2012, 10:40 PM
It's "illegal" here for the AG's office , or ANY person, to divulge to any unaurthorized person who does or doesn't have a CC license (except to law enforcement, etc.). However, if an LEO divulged it to a reporter, the LEO would be guilty of a crime.

That's how it is here. And to me, this is how it should be.

Loronzo
August 14, 2012, 10:22 PM
Considering I live in Tennessee I find this appalling... Considering the fact that we have to take an 8 hour class, be fingerprinted, etc to have the legal right to carry a firearm only to have our information divulged in such a manner where a quick follow up google search could make us a prime burglary target. (The perp KNOWS you have firearms in the residence.)... sickens me... I'm half tempted to have a friend post publically every person that is associated with that newpaper's name in a similar manner (editors, reporters, even site admins) we have a system in TN to post that kind of information for sex offenders and understandablly so, but my legal choice to arm and protect myself and property doesn't deserve that kind of public notice... Disgusting...

ag3nt
August 15, 2012, 09:55 PM
this should be flagged somehow, someone said -criminals can look us up to arm themselves- couldnt be more true and this sickens me what the hel is this country coming to?

Eghad
August 16, 2012, 08:11 PM
Seems to me like the reporters and newspaper staff should get a dose of their own medicine.

igousigloo
August 16, 2012, 09:04 PM
My name, address and phone number have been listed in the local phone book for 30+ years.

testuser
August 16, 2012, 09:20 PM
I do remember when they did this in Roanoke. One problem with publishing this kind of information is exposure of women with violent ex-boyfriends, husbands, etc. that have applied for the permit for protection only to have newspaper published private data that could lead the stalker directly to the person.

Discern
August 16, 2012, 10:44 PM
And when the lady is beaten unconscious, raped or killed, they will make more money by selling more papers. Let's face it, crime, trials and bad news sell papers. It is not in the best interest of the news media for things to be tranquil and peaceful.

silvrjeepr
August 17, 2012, 12:37 AM
It's late and I'm sleepy so here's what's out for the public right now. If you want social #'s, criminal records, and other less public stuff, I'm not very game on publishing it. (I'm not losing my job over any of you... Sorry). I can give instruction on how to obtain it for anyone interested in messaging me.

http://www.wallsofthecity.net/2009/02/fire_with_fire.html

KMAX
August 17, 2012, 07:03 AM
Another example of irresponsible journalism. Irresponsibility seems to run rampant in America nowadays, be it journalism, government, or just society in general. It also seems like endangerment to the public.

Tanglefoot
August 17, 2012, 07:09 AM
My state allows anyone to check on the salary of public employees by name - newspapers have made that database readily available. This year they collected political party affiliation and voting history for public records. I believe if you dig hard enough any consultant's time charged (hourly rate) to the state may be available. I'm not sure if any of this (including posting ccw info) is good, bad or just poorly thought through.

Mike Irwin
August 17, 2012, 07:38 AM
"My name, address and phone number have been listed in the local phone book for 30+ years."

Does it stated in the phone book that yes, you ARE definitely a firearms owner? And that the liklihood of you having other guns is much higher than for the random house?

Can't say I've ever seen that kind of phone book.

But that's exactly what's going on here. The papers publishing this information are putting together nice "rob these houses first" lists.

Luger_carbine
August 18, 2012, 07:09 AM
The issue can be solved with the proper legislation just like they did in Illinois.

I don't think the idea that public knowledge that someone is registered in some way for firearms ownership makes criminals think they shouldn't "mess with" the people on the list.

It might persuade them not to do a hot burglary.

I do think it amounts to a "Rob these houses first (when the owners aren't home) list.

The stuff that I heard of happening during Hurricane Katrina - I never thought things like that could happen in America, I guess I was naive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4

http://reason.com/archives/2005/09/10/defenseless-on-the-bayou

I think the published TN list also amounts to a "Confiscate from these houses first in case of disaster" list.

Ben Towe
August 20, 2012, 02:07 PM
I find it interesting that two of the most heavily armed counties (permit wise) are the two that border Shelby County (where Memphis is) to the north and east. In Fayette county to the east 10% of the population has a weapons permit. Bet the libs love that. I'm not hugely concerned that my name is on there though I can certainly see why some people would be.

Steviewonder1
August 22, 2012, 03:04 PM
Growing up in Broadcast Television with my name on the credits of shows I worked on (age 15-20), my parents phone would ring in the middle of the night with someone looking for me to get on TV. After I got married and left my hometown and moved to a bigger town, I have always had Unpublished and Unlisted phone numbers. Now in the Cellular age, I don't have a home phone and only a cell number. On my pistol application it has a long disconnected phone number associated with it. My address is there, but all is safe. Fortunately no idiot in my state has tried this, yet. No I am not in TV anymore.