PDA

View Full Version : LC9 Silent Recall

Quaid5
August 2, 2012, 01:21 PM
Maybe I don't have the terminology correct in my title, but my LC9 stopped working after 200'ish rounds.
Many people said I was just limp wristing. I secretly always believed I wasn't. The range owner then tested it for me and it wouldn't fire one round. So, I finally called Ruger, they connected me to their Arizona division and a lady said "Oh yes we know about that, give me your serial number and we will send you a new slide. thanks, have a nice day."

If this has been mentioned in a previous thread..sorry, but I thought people would like to know.

Received the slide today.:cool:

BarryLee
August 2, 2012, 01:53 PM
First, glad they took care of you and be sure to let us know if this fixes your problem.

Secondly, appropriate or not this is often the case at least early on in the progression of addressing a potential design or quality issue. Often times it is not that they are hiding the problem, but just attempting to gather data to determine exactly what the issue is and how widespread. One would hope that in a perfect world they would notify the public of an issue, but that is not always how it works.

Strafer Gott
August 2, 2012, 02:19 PM
Now that right there is customer service. Gold standard. All hail Ruger!

Wishoot
August 3, 2012, 08:57 AM
I had a few FTF issues when I first bought my LC9. The slide replacement fixed everything.

Whirlwind06
August 3, 2012, 10:04 AM
Glad Ruger is taking care of you.

Boy if this was a Kel-Tec PF9 thread.
It would be KTs are all junk!! :)

Nanuk
August 6, 2012, 12:38 AM
Boy if this was a Kel-Tec PF9 thread.
It would be KTs are all junk!!

Thats funny, both Kel-tec's I have owned have been flawless, sold em to friends.

fender1974
August 6, 2012, 10:37 AM
Thats funny, both Kel-tec's I have owned have been flawless, sold em to friends.

Why did you end up selling your Kel-Tec's? Just curious.

Marquezj16
August 6, 2012, 11:09 AM
To the OP, could you give details as to what your actual problem was?

BrittB
August 6, 2012, 12:40 PM
He probably sold to buy Rugers!

baccusboy
August 6, 2012, 12:47 PM
Any idea how old your Ruger is?

Kreyzhorse
August 6, 2012, 07:54 PM
To the OP, could you give details as to what your actual problem was?

Curious about that myself.

Shadi Khalil
August 6, 2012, 09:06 PM
Curious about that myself.

Same here. When you say stopped working, I think something like a broken firing pin. However you also say others attributed the issue to limp wrist, leads me to believe bullets are coming out of the barrel but it's not feeding or ejecting properly. So which was it?

Quaid5
August 19, 2012, 09:42 AM
Took a little time for me to get to the range, I was there yesterday and just remembered to post today, sorry for those that were in a rush for the result, got there as quick as I could (to be truthful more for myself than anyone else of course :eek: ).

So to the nitty gritty! To answer all inquiring minds, I received the new slide from ruger quickly, installed it and the gun now fires on every shot from fully loaded mag's, so my LC9 is now in perfect working order after testing with 200 rounds. 200 rounds was all I had time for - takes a while to fire 200 rounds on the LC9 though, but with its original slide it would only fire anywhere from not at all with a fully loaded mag, to only 3 rounds a mag and then just stopped firing altogether. Yes, I too thought it would be a pin issue. If you are in any disbelief of anything I am saying here, I guess just call ruger to check what I am saying, I don't know what else to say to antsy debunkers, but this is all true.

I can't tell you what was wrong with it as I am not a gun smith, all I can tell you is the new slide works well, which didn't seem so new and i had to send the old one back in exchange. My guess is that they file off some inner edge on the slide which is somehow blocking something, wild guess.. but probable. Again, if you need more in depth technical details than what I am providing here, feel free to call Ruger's Arizona office, not sure if you will get an answer though if you don't have an LC9 serial number that is registered to you, but never hurts to try.

Now it is once again a good gun and I am very happy with the way Ruger handled the issue, although I do wish I was notified, I am sure that would constitute some sort of admission to a faulty manufacturing process so that's probably not in the cards.

P.S. I even tried to limp wrist my shots here and there, a little fearful I might hurt myself, but just needed to prove something to myself. It now fires no matter what, so limp wristing was an inaccurate hypothesis.

@BarryLee Indeed & understood, thank you.
@Whirlwind06 & @Strafer Gott Indeed!
@Wishoot That was it, wish I knew from the get go.
@Marquezj16 According to Ruger, the slide.
@baccusboy Brand spank'n new.
@Shadi Khalil After installing new slide it works, limp wristing or not.
@hardhat harry Jeez, hold yer horses. :)
@Tnglock Yes, I don't know (but surmised above) and you are very right

Thanks everyone and hope that helps if anyone runs into this issue.

Tnglock
August 19, 2012, 10:08 AM
Just curious did you fill out the warranty card ? And if you did why didnt Ruger contact you and let you know there was a problem. A gun that wont fire is the same as a rock or dull knife. Good thing you didnt have to use it for protection

Marquezj16
August 19, 2012, 08:49 PM
Quaid - when I asked what exactly was wrong with it, it was because your first post was very vague.

Saying your gun stopped working does not say much to us here.
For example, you could have said, I pulled the trigger and the hammer went forward but did not fire or pulled the trigger and the hammer did not fall. Something with a little more details. Why do we want details? Because for us wannabe gunsmiths on here, we like to troubleshoot what's wrong with the pistol and some of us owners would like to know if there is a solution should we run into the same problem.

BTW, the reason why Ruger has not given any notification is because they have not issued the recall. Go to the Ruger website and ask the CEO, and you can get the answer from the source.

Quaid5
August 20, 2012, 11:54 PM
Details;
1. Hammer striking ammo primer and the ammo was not igniting from the impact of the hammer, this happened repeatedly anywhere from 1 to 3 rounds and got worse to none at all.
2. Called Ruger, they answered that they know about this problem and would send a slide to fix.
3. I removed the original slide, replaced with the one they sent to me and now it works when tested at the local range, 100%

Ruger did well by me eventually, I don't have a gripe with them actually. The only annoyance was i had a nice looking rock in my pocket for a while. The above are the exact details.

Marquezj16
August 21, 2012, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the update. Hopefully yours is 100% from now on.