PDA

View Full Version : 6" barrel on G20 Compact - Possible or Advisable?

SerenityNetworks
August 2, 2012, 08:11 AM
I've been planning on purchasing a G20 SF. I've planned on purchasing the full size because its primary use would be hunting and then as a secondary home defense weapon. I had not planned it for use as a routine carry pistol. My plans also included purchasing a 6" aftermarket barrel to bump up the accuracy a notch and (later) better sights or optics.

However, I might carry the compact version. So I got to wondering if I could still put a 6" aftermarket barrel on the compact and have the accuracy of the full size. Or would this even be advisable? Any feedback on my strategy is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge

AZGlock13
August 2, 2012, 09:51 AM
I'm a little confused. When you say "the compact version", are you referring to the G29/G29SF? If so, let me first state you can not put a barrel made for the G20/G20SF (both factory or aftermarket) into a G29/G29SF. The G29/G29SF uses a different locking block in the frame than the G20/G20SF does, which won't accept the lugs on any barrel made for the G20/G20SF. You would have to have a 6" barrel made for the G29/G29SF specifically to work. I'm not sure if Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, KKM, Barstol, etc. make a 6" for the G29/G29SF, though you might be able to have them make one for you (special order) I suppose.

Brian Pfleuger
August 2, 2012, 10:03 AM
Any accuracy issues are mainly sight-radius related, not barrel or barrel length. Yes, and aftermarket barrel might shoot a bit better but it's sight-radius that gets you.

My CCW is a Glock 33 and I fit it with a 5.32" Lone Wolf barrel so it's legal during hunting season.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41320&stc=1&d=1232676791

SerenityNetworks
August 2, 2012, 04:21 PM
AzGlock13, yes, sorry. I meant purchasing a 29SF instead of a 20SF. I've read good things about putting a longer barrel, such as a 6", on a 20SF. But I didn't know if putting a 6" on a 29SF would get me the same accuracy or not. Brian makes an excellent point about the sight radius being a big issue, but I suppose this would be mitigated by putting on some type of optics when I put on the longer barrel. (Is this a correct assumption?)

I've seen where KKM does not make an extended barrel for the 29, where Lone Wolf does. But I've heard mixed reviews on the Lone Wolf barrels. I haven't checked out the others at all. I'd appreciate any personal experiences folks have had with third-party barrels on the 29 and 20; most especially the 10mm barrels (although I will later be in the market for maybe a .40 or .45 barrel to put on whichever frame I end up deciding to buy).

Thanks again,
Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge

Brian Pfleuger
August 2, 2012, 04:32 PM
Optics would certainly solve the sight-radius issue.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/ThumbnailHandler.ashx?MediaID=792&size=220

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1200&CAT=156

jmr40
August 2, 2012, 05:19 PM
Unless your state requires a longer barrel than factroy to meet legal requirements I'd leave it as is. Any tiny bit of performance you gain is simply not worth the expense. Except to keep yourself legal of course.

SerenityNetworks
August 2, 2012, 05:45 PM
Unless your state requires a longer barrel than factory to meet legal requirements I'd leave it as is. Any tiny bit of performance you gain is simply not worth the expense. Except to keep yourself legal of course.I can see the accuracy point being true with the 20, but how about the 29? It just seems to me that a barrel nearly double the length would have to be more accurate. But then again, I totally reserve the right to be wrong :-)

Thanks,
Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------

Brian Pfleuger
August 2, 2012, 05:47 PM
Barrel length does not directly affect accuracy.

Mrgunsngear
August 2, 2012, 06:06 PM
It's not going to be more accurate per se but it will change your ballistics. Depending on the load, you'll get 150-350fps more and that will change your POI especially at 75-100m and out. If it's a hunting gun that may be important....

AZGlock13
August 2, 2012, 09:38 PM
A longer barrel will increase your velocity some, like plouffedaddy just mentioned, but will not really increase the accuracy over the factory stock G29 barrel. Optics can help increase accuracy, like already mentioned. LWD makes pretty good barrels. I have one of their .357SIG barrels for my G35. I have had no issues with it.
I have a G29SF and carry it IWB once in a while. Used to have a G20 about 4-5 years ago, but sold it off. The G20 is pretty nice, but I like the G29SF more for carry use. I have a Colt Delta Elite I use for shooting more at the range when it comes to 10mm (it filled the niche that the G20 previously held).

Sharpsdressed Man
August 2, 2012, 10:17 PM
I can see the value of a longer barrel for the Glock 29 if it is to be used for hunting. In some states, a 5" barrel would make it legit for hunting, while increasing the energy/velocity to a little higher than the Glock 20. In some cases, a higher quality barrel MIGHT result in better accuracy. I found a Bar-Sto barrel for my G29 on Gunbroker for a good price. It also offers the use of lead bullets, should I desire, as opposed to the factory barrel, which Glock advises against.

sgn100391
August 2, 2012, 11:15 PM
Lonewolf does not make a 6" barrel for the glock 29. Neither does Stormlake, Barsto. I've looked that route and came up empty.
As far as accuracy, you need a longslide to extend the sight radius or a red dot. Glock 29 does not have as much options and accessories as the Glock 20. That's why I have a 29 and a 20.

SerenityNetworks
August 8, 2012, 06:28 PM
Lonewolf does not make a 6" barrel for the glock 29. Neither does Stormlake, Barsto. I've looked that route and came up empty.
As far as accuracy, you need a longslide to extend the sight radius or a red dot. Glock 29 does not have as much options and accessories as the Glock 20. That's why I have a 29 and a 20.

Yeah, I came up with the same (empty) findings. I even looked at getting a full and longer upper for the G29, but there really wasn't any significant cost savings over just buying two pistols. For those reasons I've made the decision to go with my original plan of just getting the G20 SF. If I choose to get a compact version then I'm not sure if I will stay with a 10mm or go with something like a G21. But it will certainly be a separate pistol, although much later down the road.

However, that does bring up a follow-up question on the matter. I will want to get a conversion barrel, just so I don't spend a fortune on ammo. Any recommendations on caliber and manufacturer (of the barrel)?

Thanks again,
Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------

Sharpsdressed Man
August 8, 2012, 07:35 PM
I found a Bar Sto 5" G29 barrel on gunbroker quite a few months ago, so I know they made 5"ers, at least for awhile. It looks funny enough sticking out of that compact pistol.

SerenityNetworks
August 8, 2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks, but for now I'll be looking at a caliber change conversion barrel for the G20 SF.

Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------

FlySubCompact
August 8, 2012, 08:47 PM
It's not going to be more accurate per se but it will change your ballistics. Depending on the load, you'll get 150-350fps more and that will change your POI especially at 75-100m and out. If it's a hunting gun that may be important....

(Noob shooter, so take my observation as you will)
Last time at the range with my Glock 27 I remembered that our G23 barrel dropped right in. Thought I'd run a few mags through it after warming up with the stock 27 barrel. I consistantly shot about about 3" high at ten yards with that longer barrel for some reason. Maybe more FPS was doing that?

Funny thing is that if I put the 23 barrel back in the 23 I don't shoot that high. :confused:

SRH78
August 8, 2012, 09:40 PM
The added velocity might make 3" difference at 100 yards but not at 10. That was just a result of a different barrel that fits and shoots slightly different.