PDA

View Full Version : Para P1445s

JPNIII
August 1, 2012, 07:30 PM
OK, I don't know anything about Para Ord., but I like the write ups on this 45acp.
I need some input on this particular handgun.

Aguila Blanca
August 1, 2012, 08:33 PM
What sort of input do you want?

Owner reports will, as for many/most brands, range from "It's the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread" to "Not even a good paperweight." So that may not help you too much but, without knowing what your question(s) is/are, it's difficult to offer anything.

I have owned, I think, seven or eight Para pistols over the years. The oldest were a pre-ban P12.45 (which I still have), and a pre-ban P13.45. Then there have been another P13.45, a P14.45 (did that get your attention?), a P10.45 (I think post-ban but not certain), a Slim Hawg, and a GI Expert. Oh, and a 12.45 LDA. Yeah, that's eight -- I think that's it.

Out of all those, the only one I had problems with was the first P13.45, and I subsequently got it straightened out and used it in competition shoots. The problems with that pistol were all caused by the previous owner "improving" it with a bunch of non-Para parts, and not understanding how the parts work together. It was frustrating for awhile and I finally broke my personal rule and had a professional gunsmith look at it. He didn't get it fixed, but he DID tell me that the fire control parts weren't Para-Ordnance parts, and that tidbit got me started down the road to redemption.

Around the mid-2000s, Para promoted their quality control guy out of the factory and sent him on the road. The problem was, they didn't replace him, and quality took second seat to production. Pistols built during the end of Para's time in Canada probably should be avoided. Likewise the VERY early North Carolina pistols. I would not hesitate to buy a new Para today.

1stmar
August 1, 2012, 08:47 PM
If you buy used, make sure it does not have the power extractor. Para had a lot of problems with these. They have a solution, egw made a replacement extractor which seems to work well but I would avoid it altogether unless it is an excellent deal. I have 2 p14's, personally I think they fit my hands better then a single column and i have small hands. Overall their quality is good and their customer service is making great strides. Travis Tomasie ( sponsered pro shooter) monitors the 1911 para forum and if anyone has a problem he gets it resolved ASAP. He is great. My next 1911 will be a para black ops.

MR.S45
August 3, 2012, 12:40 AM
I own a Para LTC (the one that was black with all stainless parts) 4" barrel cmdr.
It has the power extractor, i think it is great. If your worried about it breaking, buy a spare.