PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111

Maxamillion_16
July 25, 2012, 04:15 PM
Hey guys, i purchased a savage 111 at gander mountain about a year ago as a package deal. It did not come with the accu trigger, the trigger pull is terrible. I was wondering, does savage install accu triggers on savages that didn't originally come with them?

PawPaw
July 25, 2012, 04:38 PM
Nope. The accu-trigger will not retro-fit onto an older Savage action. However, both Timney and Rifle Basix (among others, I"m sure) make triggers that will fit that action. There is no shortage of after-market triggers for the Savage rifle.

jmr40
July 25, 2012, 05:34 PM
Most of the older Savage triggers could be adjusted and will likely turn out much better than the accutrigger. There is nothing magic about the accutrigger. It is just a foolproof way for DIY types to play with their trigger without making the gun dangerous. Most any trigger can be as good or better if properly adjusted by someone who knows what they are doing.

Maxamillion_16
July 26, 2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys, im only fourteen so i will have to start saving up for a new trigger, don't have the cash now...

hoffbill
July 28, 2012, 02:45 AM
Your gunsmith may be able to do some work to improve the trigger you have.

hoffbill
July 28, 2012, 02:47 AM
I put a Rifle Basix trigger on my 111. It is acceptable but I don't think it is great. I will try a Timney or Jewel next time I buy one.

TimW77
July 28, 2012, 01:37 PM
"Most of the older Savage triggers could be adjusted and will likely turn out much better than the accutrigger."

Internet BS...

T.

ActiveMonkey
August 16, 2012, 10:03 AM
I have a savage 111 30-06 and hated the trigger. i went to a good local gunsmith, paid $50 and love It now. he did a basic trigger job and reduced pull to 3 lbs. could not be happier.

math teacher
August 16, 2012, 01:34 PM
I installed a Rifle-Basix in mine, easy to follow directions, and I love it. I have also installed Timney and Rifle-Basix triggers on Rem 700s with equally good results. Have a gun smith do the job as I am sure you are not experienced with the installation. It does involve some adjustment and the replacement triggers have more adjustments than the original.

WeedWacker
August 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

More specifically:
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/CenterfireTriggers.html

Mobuck
August 17, 2012, 06:25 AM
I've installed Rifle Basix triggers on 2 or 3 Savage 110 rifles in the past and was satisfied with the results. At the time, the Rifle Basix was a cheaper alternative and fit my budget. The original trigger can be lightened slightly by installing a lighter spring but this has not given me the improvement I was looking for.

Smokey Joe
August 17, 2012, 10:02 AM
Max Million 16--I haven't done a trigger job on an older Savage. However I have replaced several rifles' triggers with Timneys and have had excellent results. So that is the way I'd go were I you.

The old Savage trigger was umm, not nice. I can't imagine making it better than an Accutrigger.

When Savage designed the Accutrigger they had 2 goals: (1) To make a lawyer-proof adjustable trigger, and (2) To make a great trigger as trigger. IMHO, they succeeded on both counts.

I have a Savage with Accutrigger, and it works GREAT! It does take some getting used to--Took me about 3 shots with it. (Seems like you pull the false trigger for about a yard and a half, then when you just touch the real trigger, the rifle fires.) Unfortunately, Accutriggers will not retro-fit into older Savage rifles.

So: Bottom line: Don't bother messing with your current Savage trigger. Make it do, as is, while saving up for a Timney. Or, sell the old Savage, save up some more, and get a Savage with Accutrigger and Accustock--you'd not be sorry for that!

wild willy
August 17, 2012, 03:14 PM
TimW77 how many Savages have you had made in the 70s or early 80s. The triggers on the older guns were easy to get down to around two pounds.No maybe they weren't light enough for target guns but they were crisp and clean and fine for hunting.I'll take one of them any day on a hunting rifle over a accu-trigger.I have a Timney on a newer non accu-trigger gun it is no better than the older three screw triggers.

Mobuck
August 17, 2012, 08:00 PM
You can "get them down to almost nothing" but then some of them will fire when you take the safety off. It usually only happens if you forget to take the safety off before you pull the trigger. Then you have to lift the bolt handle to reset the sear before releasing the safety. Trust me on this one. I
bought not one but two from different gunshops that had this exact problem.
I still have them but with replacement triggers.
One, a 110FP in 25/06 would fire every time if you put as little as 2# of pressure on the trigger with the safety on and then released the safety w/o touching the trigger. Another, an older 110 LH in 243 was OK until you put about 5# on the trigger while on safe and then released the safety w/o touching the trigger again.

wild willy
August 18, 2012, 08:14 AM
You didn't have the back screw adjusted right.Most of mine I adjusted to around 3# but my 22-250 was just a hair over 2# and did what you said once when the screw backed out.

hooligan1
August 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
Maxy that trigger can be coaxed down a little, and the creep can be adjusted if it has a set screw for it. I own two 111 Savages one with detachable mag the other "blind mag" the blind mag rifle had the set screw for sear adjustment, but I cant tell you how to adjust anything, it needs the touch of a qualified Smith so that the safety isn't disabled.

I have three Savages that I have adjusted and they break nice enough at 3 lbs, all the safeties work fine.

Also Maximillion, Timney does make a bad boy trigger for that rifle and once install by a qualified Smith, you'll love it dude. :)

riche
August 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
I just seen this on youtube, this is what Mobuck is talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW-uEdlUiPw&feature=related

mike0311
July 30, 2016, 07:07 PM
Hello everybody on the the firing line,my names mike,67 yrs. old.I have a savage 111 7mm rem.mag the trigger sucks I had the stock off today looking for any kind of ajustments two screws on the rear side of the trigger.any one know what they ajust?

hooligan1
July 31, 2016, 01:38 PM
Mike those screws serve different purposes, if they are not adjusted properly the safety will malfunction. Have somebody that knows that trigger take a look see..

T. O'Heir
July 31, 2016, 02:52 PM
"...I'm only fourteen..." Hi. You have a few options. Some of which cost more than others. Put an aftermarket trigger($114.35 or less for an adjustable trigger from Timney. Net search 'em. Timney's prices are less at some retail shops. $20 or so.) in, have a trigger job done or change the springs.
You also get to decide if you think you can do any of that yourself. Without your ma going offside, I mean. Mom's are just like that some times. Anyway, doing a trigger job isn't rocket science, so you should be able to do it. Doesn't take any special tools either.
However, if you have any qualms about doing it yourself, take it to a smithy. Isn't hard, but it is easy to screw the thing up.
A Savage 111 is the same as a Savage 110/114 and 116. Start by reading the manual.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/literature/

hoghunting
July 31, 2016, 04:36 PM
T.O'Heir......"...I'm only fourteen..." Hi. You have a few options. Some of which cost more than others. Put an aftermarket trigger($114.35 or less for an adjustable trigger from Timney. Net search 'em. Timney's prices are less at some retail shops. $20 or so.) in, have a trigger job done or change the springs.
You also get to decide if you think you can do any of that yourself. Without your ma going offside, I mean. Mom's are just like that some times. Anyway, doing a trigger job isn't rocket science, so you should be able to do it. Doesn't take any special tools either.

The OP was posted in 2012 and has not posted since, doubt he is still here.

jackstrawIII
July 31, 2016, 06:01 PM
I had the same model Savage, one with the accutrigger and one without. The group were so similar, as to not even be worth mentioning. With that said, I actually preferred the non-accu version better.

To me, the quest for a super-light trigger pull can actually take away from a rifle's use-ability. When hunting, you need to fire a shot exactly when you intend too. With a trigger under 2-3lbs, it's so light that it's impossible (for me) to "stage" the trigger in a way that I'm comfortable with. I prefer to rest my finger on the trigger so it's right up against the "wall" (breaking point) so I'm ready exactly when the optimum shot presents itself. You can't really rest your finger on an accutrigger comfortably without the risk of firing before you're ready. Especially in winter when it's cold, you may be wearing gloves, etc.

My opinion. If you can shoot it well, let it be.

mike0311
August 1, 2016, 10:12 AM
I found a video on you tube that shows how to ajust the pre-accutriggers,want a pull for deer hunting.Some say a heavy triggers is better for hunting,thinking maybe 4#'s.Moved to KY.about 7 yrs.ago heard they had bear and elk,so bought a 7mm rem mag, savage 111,found out all the real big game is on the east side of ky. and me in the central part.

RC20
August 7, 2016, 01:54 PM
While most of this is accurate, some is a bit off.

You cannot retrofit an acu trigger to a new savage if it does not have it from the get go. Different mounting machining on the receiver.

Lot of aftermarket triggers that do fit though so good choices but $100 minimum at a guess.

I have shot a lot of triggers, the acu trigger is good, not fantastic, not great but it is good. I like it and have not problem with the safety blade.

Acu Triggers come in 3 flavors.

Hunting: 3 lbs minimum as I recall. fine for hunting, still good let off

Varmint: 1.5 lbs minimum, gets iffy for false trip (mechanism wont let you fire until you re-cock/ ) at the bottom and you might have to adjust up a bit. this is just a spring change so you can turn an Hunter into a Varmint.

Target: this goes down to 8 oz or some such. It requires a sear change. Hard to get that but Savage might sell with a disclaimer.

std7mag
August 9, 2016, 05:09 PM
Wait..... Did I read $50 to adjust a factory Savage trigger????

Start sending those puppies to me!!! I'll do it for $30 and laugh the whole way to the bank... :D