PDA

View Full Version : Glock G26 / G27

BarryLee
July 25, 2012, 01:06 PM
For some unknown reason I have lusted for a few years over the GLOCK G26 & G27. I think my willpower is failing and I may end up getting one in the near future.

So, I would love some input:

1) Would you buy the G26 9mm or the G27 .40S&W?

2) How do they compare to the new S&W Shield models?

3) What other similar guns would you consider?

4) Is this a bad move? Should I just skip the GLOCKS and save up for a nice 1911?

freebird72
July 25, 2012, 01:13 PM
Do you already have a 1911? Do you own any 9mm handguns?

Viper99
July 25, 2012, 01:16 PM
You have 2 choices over these 2 glocks.

1. Buy the G26 and have a dedicated 9mm with 10 rounds.
2. Buy the G27 and later on add a Long Wolf 9mm conversion barrel + 2 mags for around $150 and have both the .40 with 9 rounds and the 9mm with 10.

Held the Shield and felt great in my hand.

You can also check the PPS, LC9, PM9, SR9c, XDm, etc. There are plenty of choices but you won't go wrong with Glock, S&W, Rugers or the Springfields.

Woody55
July 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
"1) Would you buy the G26 9mm or the G27 .40S&W?"

I own a 27, but I wish I'd bought a 26 because the ammunition is cheaper.

I don't know.

When I bought the 27, it and the Kahr K40 made the short list. Their are more options now, but I haven't looked into them.

4) Is this a bad move? Should I just skip the GLOCKS and save up for a nice 1911?

Depends on what you want to do with them. It's easy to carry the 26 and 27. The 1911 will probably cost more than the Glock, and .45 ACP ammo is more expensive than both 9mm and .40 S&W. I'd buy the 26 with night sights and shoot more.

chewie146
July 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
The Shield is a much thinner gun and more comfortable to carry, in my opinion. However, the 26 is what I shoot better. I owned one for years, and my friend has a Shield, so I have experience with both. The 1911 is another ballgame. That pistol and the Glock should not be compared. It's like comparing a pickup to a rolls royce. They'll both get you where you're going, but the pickup will take a better beating, while the rolls is more finicky with a great ride. You get the idea.

Personally, I love the 1911, but would rather have a Glock. I like guns I can use without fear scratches and wear and tear on a high-dollar finish. You might consider a M&P compact as well. They're somewhere in between the 26 and 19 in frame size, length, etc. I don't think you can go wrong with any of your mentioned choices, though.

Dragline45
July 25, 2012, 01:21 PM
I have shot both the Glock 26 and 27 and much prefer the 26. With 9mm it's a much softer shooting gun and I can accurately get follow up shots much easier than with the .40. As far as how it compares with the shield, the shield is considerably thinner, and holds a few less rounds. The Glock 26 especially with the finger extension will handle more like a full size than the shield will, but from what I hear the shield is a pretty good shooter. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

For some unknown reason I have lusted for a few years over the GLOCK G26 & G27. I think my willpower is failing and I may end up getting one in the near future.

Seems to me if you get anything besides the Glock, once the new gun thrill wears off your going to wish you got the Glock. If you wanted one that long than get one.

Shifty007
July 25, 2012, 01:30 PM
What is the intended purpose of the firearm? Is this a carry gun?

Shoot45's
July 25, 2012, 02:40 PM
Personally I much prefer shooting 9mm vs .40 from that small gun so today I only have the 26.
Less recoil and I return to target much faster with the 9mm.
The 26 is great but be prepared to feel the recoil inside your palm for the first few times you go shoot.
On the first day I got mine I shot about 500 shots and I felt it for the rest of the day.
If you get a Gen 4 you could sand the texture off the backstrap, I did and like it more like that.

Tactical Jackalope
July 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
Selling mine for $400 G27 with 4 mags

$525 with the lone wolf 9mm barrel and 1 9mm magazine.

BarryLee
July 25, 2012, 03:28 PM
What is the intended purpose of the firearm? Is this a carry gun?

I already have several good options for carry and already own both 9mm & .40S&W handguns. I also own a Springfield Armory GI Model 1911 and would like to add a Colt XSE model somewhere down the road, but don’t have the funds right now.

The reality is the GLOCK 26/27 would only fill a minor gap in my collect which could really be covered by other guns. But, like I said, I guess I just kind of like it for whatever reason.

scottycoyote
July 25, 2012, 03:55 PM
love my g27. Ive shot it and my gf's g26 side by side and honestly cant tell a difference in them. Id get the 27 and pick up a lone wolf 9mm barrel later if you really want the option.

freebird72
July 25, 2012, 04:38 PM
I would go with the Glock 26, since you want one, and then save up for a Colt 1911. Though Glocks are not the nicest looking guns, they are some of the best HD/SD guns around.

TailGator
July 25, 2012, 05:22 PM
The reality is the GLOCK 26/27 would only fill a minor gap in my collect which could really be covered by other guns. But, like I said, I guess I just kind of like it for whatever reason.

Then why not go with the cheaper ammo for the 26? I carry a G26 every day, having chosen it over the 27 because I shoot 9 mm significantly better than I do .40. Modern 9 mm is a pretty solid round.

Dashunde
July 25, 2012, 05:46 PM
Glock 27 - It can also run a aftermarket barrel for 9mm if you wish.
You cant go wrong with the 27.
(not to mention the .40 is a fairly nasty round)

And you should always be saving up for a really nice 1911 ;)

Locoweed
July 25, 2012, 09:57 PM
Glock 27 was my first Glock (now own five more). It's a bit snappy to shoot but I'm in love with it and will have it the rest of my shooting days. Kahr is out of the question for me. Buy a Glock 27 and be happy.

JC57
July 25, 2012, 11:21 PM
1) Would you buy the G26 9mm or the G27 .40S&W?

- I bought a G26 Gen 4. I like it. I prefer the 9mm in a gun that size. I have a full sized G22 Gen 4 in .40.

- No idea, I haven't seen one of them

- S&W M&P
- Springfield XD
- Ruger SR9c

- No one can answer this for you but you.

lostagain
July 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
I carry the G26 everyday and my wife just changed from the G26 to the 9mm Shield. The blocky rear does sometimes feels like it makes it a bit more noticeable than the thinner and more rounded shield. It also has noticeably less recoil than the G26 which is also pretty good. Hopefully you can get a chance to shoot each. I switched from a CW9 to the Glock. Today I would lean pretty heavily towards the Shield.

dos0711
July 26, 2012, 01:14 PM
Another factor, although small one to consider, is how much ammo do you already have in each caliber? If you have a lot of one that could help decide...

gregdry
July 26, 2012, 06:01 PM
I have had both the G26 and (now have) the G27; much prefer the G27. Yes, the ammo is a little more expensive, but - for the same size gun - you have a significantly stronger round (the same many police use). My EDC is a Kahr PM40 - only because it's a bit smaller. However, when I DO carry the G27, I feel just a little more secure - knowing I have a totally reliable weapon with 10 rounds at the ready. Besides, the cost of ammo is not all that bad if you look carefully. Ordered some PMC fmj from Palmetto Armory the other day (free shipping) and it ended up around 14.70/box. (BTW: I have a Keltec Pf9 also, to shoot cheaper ammo with.) :cool:

Dashunde
July 27, 2012, 11:45 AM
The reality is the GLOCK 26/27 would only fill a minor gap in my collect which could really be covered by other guns

Look at it the other way around, the G27 can cover nearly any job.
The 27 is what I consider truly all-purpose.
It shoots good with a big punch and a decent round count, yet its still easily concealable.

BarryLee
July 27, 2012, 03:27 PM
Ok, went on a little shopping trip today and have a couple of more questions.

First store had G26/G27 in GEN 3, but no GEN 4s in stock. The price for the GEN 3s was $499 which seems pretty good. So, the second store had GEN 4 in stock, but wanted $549.

Also, I looked at the Walther PPS in 9mm & .40 and liked them fairly well. The Walther was thinner, but had a longer grip and less capacity than the GLOCK.

So, I realize the GEN 4 has some ergonomic improvements related to the grip, but is there any other difference? The guy at the store told me they had made some mechanical improvements, but wasn’t certain what they were. Do you think GEN 4 is worth $50 more?

Also, how do you think the Walther PPS compares to the G26/27?

Dashunde
July 27, 2012, 03:35 PM
I'd stick with the Gen3 - I care not for the pin-style grip of the Gen4's because it chews up my skin and I don’t like swap'able backstraps.
Be sure to pick up a 9mm aftermarket barrel and a G26 magazine or two.

The PPS is a very nice gun, a short second to my favorite the Kahr cw/cm/pm series for single stacks.
The PPS could be a bit smaller overall and could do without the rail.
It also has a mag release that some like and some dislike.
I lean slightly towards disliking the release, if it were smaller like the P99 I'd like it a lot more.
If I picked up a PPS it would likely be in .40, due mostly to the guns overall size - seems worthy of the harder hitting round.

jmr40
July 28, 2012, 04:21 AM
Buying the G-26 was an easy choice for me. I already owned 2 G-19's and a G-17. All the mags from the other guns will fit in the G-26 and ammo was already available. In fact I carry the smaller mags in both the 26 and 19's, but only carry G-17 spare magazines for all of the guns. Keeps things simple and eleminates the possibility of trying to stick a G26 mag in a G-19. The longer mags wirk just fine in the smaller guns, but not in reverse.

The G-26 is not quite as accurate as the larger guns, but darn close. It amazes me every time I shoot it.

I'm also in the camp that believes 9mm with the best loads is more than adequate. 40 is slightly better, but not enough to offset the higher price of ammo, more recoil, and reduced mag capacity. If those issues don't concern you the 40 cal G-27 is a fine gun.

kcub
July 28, 2012, 07:09 AM
I have a G26 and used to also have G27.
The G27 has more recoil but is not uncomfortable or unmanageable.

One time I went to the range and shot at 2 targets rapidly with each gun.
I settled on the 9 because recovery and fast followup were half the time of the .40. If I had to face multiple threats the G26 is my first choice for "running table".

Tactical Jackalope
July 28, 2012, 07:49 PM
Just sold my G27 today at the local gun show. $500 :)

Officer's Match
July 29, 2012, 08:15 AM
I have a G26 and used to also have G27.
The G27 has more recoil but is not uncomfortable or unmanageable.

One time I went to the range and shot at 2 targets rapidly with each gun.
I settled on the 9 because recovery and fast followup were half the time of the .40. If I had to face multiple threats the G26 is my first choice for "running table".

Excellent post. 9 is the way to go in a subcompact. The G26 is an amazing gun, they probably were the most surprising model Glock I've tried. I shoot the g26 better than almost any other Glock (not including the GAP models - they just flat-out ROCK!).

hardhat harry
July 29, 2012, 08:35 AM
I don't care that .40S&W is more expensive...my Glock 27 is not a range gun. It gets function tested. In this case, for this gun 26 or 27, I think ammo cost is bogus.

I want a round that has a higher rate of leathality. I carry Federal HydraShok.

Officer's Match
July 29, 2012, 08:49 AM
...and I'll take the one that will allow the most hits in the quickest time. Handgun rounds aren't very effective stoppers used individually. ;)