PDA

View Full Version : Tips/Advice?

Smit
July 21, 2012, 05:44 PM
Hello Folks,

I am going to the range in a couple of days to fire my AR-15 for the first time since it has been fixed and I plan on getting the following things done:

1. Getting my iron sights ''zeroed" in
2. Mounting my red-dot scope and also getting that sighted in

Plan is to have the rifle "overall" sighted/zeroed in at 100yards, with the iron and red-dot. Any suggestions/advice to keep in mind before I go? From what I remember roughly 27yard zero translates into 100 yards when shooting with iron at targets, is this pretty close? Thanks,

tahunua001
July 21, 2012, 06:14 PM
lets see first of all, you posted in the bolt, lever and pump action forums, AR15s should be relegated to the semi auto forums BUT

since this is where people seem to come with questions regarding optics and sighting I guess you would probably be more likely to get good answers here. if I recall correctly, the air force sights their M16s at 25 meters(I guess roughly 27 yards) and that supposedly gives it a 200 yard battle sight with M193 ammo. if you do a lot of shooting with XM193(civilian equivalent made by ATK/federal) then you may want to sight around an inch low at 27 yards in order to give it roughly a 100 yard battle sight with irons. in the navy we zeroed at 25 yards and they never really told us what to expect past that since I guess hitting bullseyes at 25 would easily qualify us to hit minute-of-man out to 200. with my red dots I generally sight at 50 yards and aim low inside that and aim a little high out past 100.

Smit
July 21, 2012, 06:36 PM
Yea I realized i posted in wrong forum, thanks for the info!

DnPRK
July 21, 2012, 09:20 PM
Use lots of lube on the bolt carrier group -- make it drip. And a dab of grease on the back of each bolt lug doesn't hurt either. Once it is broken in, you can reduce the amount of lube.

At 25 meters (approx 27 yds), your point of impact should be about 1.5" below your point of aim for a 100 yd zero.

madcratebuilder
July 22, 2012, 05:48 AM
Using a co-witness red dot zero at 50yds.