PDA

View Full Version : Can buyer's FFL ship gun back to seller?

cjwils
July 21, 2012, 04:49 PM
Say that I sell a modern firearm through an on-line auction site, and I ship the gun to the buyer's FFL. Since I want my buyers to be happy, my practice is to allow returns if the buyer is not satisfied. If the buyer rejects the gun, can the buyer's FFL ship it directly back to me without going through an FFL at my end? If the buyer rejected it, then it seems to me that I still own it.

Don P
July 21, 2012, 04:54 PM
No because you shipped by FFL. Now the gun is in both there bound books and they can only legally ship back to an FFL

Aguila Blanca
July 21, 2012, 04:58 PM
No because you shipped by FFL.
Where did the OP say he shipped through an FFL on his end?

The problem is that the prospective buyer probably won't be waiting at his FFL the day the firearm arrives. The receiving FFL must enter it into his bound book if it's going to be in his custody overnight. Since a typical inspection period is three days from date of arrival at the receiving FFL, that generally means the firearm WILL have been entered into the receiving FFL's bound book before the buyer ever lays eyes on it.

Pahoo
July 21, 2012, 04:59 PM
I had this happen one time, where I was the buyer. Once the transfer was done on my end, it was mine. When I shipped it back, I shipped it to the "original" seller's FFL. For a time, on paper, I was the legal owner. Hope this helps .... :rolleyes:
You might want to run this past your FFL dealer !!!

Be Safe !!!

Don P
July 21, 2012, 05:07 PM
Where did the OP say he shipped through an FFL on his end?

Excuse me my mistake, many FFL's will not accept firearms from non FFL's. Freakin tuff crowd here tonight

dogtown tom
July 22, 2012, 02:12 PM
cjwils If the buyer rejects the gun, can the buyer's FFL ship it directly back to me without going through an FFL at my end?
No.
FFL's can only ship to another FFL.....with one exception. Firearms sent to a licensed dealer or manufacturer for repair or replacement may be shipped directly back to the customer (state law permitting).

If the buyer rejected it, then it seems to me that I still own it.
"Ownership" has nothing to do with the interstate transfer of a firearm.
You may still "own" the gun, but Federal law requires it be returned to your FFL.

Pahoo
July 22, 2012, 03:48 PM
I guess the bottom line is that there has to be a paper trail that should not be broken. Regardless of your transactins through an FFL dealer, it's illegal to do so. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!