PDA

View Full Version : 135gr JHP

Kevin_d77
July 15, 2012, 11:45 PM
I was checking inventory this evening when I noticed something slightly peculiar.....the JHP that I have for both my XD40 and Eagle/Jericho are both 135gr JHP! The .40 cal were given to me as a birthdays gift. They are Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement Ammunition 135gr JHP. There is no other info given on the box (ie velocity or energy). The 9mm ammo is the Federal Premium Hydra Shok 135gr JHP which is also lacking any additional information. I guess I was just caught off guard by this because I assumed the .40 would just be a heavier round.

Typically, for the target ammo I prefer Federal 180gr FMJ over the 165gr ammo. Those are the only 2 sizes I have even noticed while shooting. I am still new to my 9mm (really shooting in general) so I have been trying out the different loads to see what my Baby Eagle likes. I have been shooting Federal 115gr and American Eagle 147gr and put a magazine of the 135gr Hydrashok down range to make sure it feeds ok. I just bought a 100 count of WWB and a 250 count of Remington UMC, both at 115gr for my big range trip that I have scheduled this weekend. So far it has all worked well and I have been favoring the Federal 115gr up to this point.

Guess my question being is there any benefit or disadvantage to the 135gr JHP for the .40? It loaded and shot well, but in a HD/SD scenario, is this too big of a risk? It does say LEO ammo and I seem to remember reading earlier that 135gr 40 will get the job done, but it still feels strange to me.

For my Sig P220 I am using Winchester PDX1 Elite Defender 230gr HP which quotes v:920 fps and E=422? It fed and shot well for me. What do you guys use for SD rounds? I'm always open to suggestions/discussions!

BTW this past Thursday was the first time I was able to take the Baby Eagle to the range since I bound purchased it several weeks ago and oh man......that thing is SWEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!! A real joy on the range, lite recoil and very accurate! In the order of accuracy at the range for me right now it goes: B Eagle (steel frame 4.72" barrel), XD40 (service model, polymer w 4" barrel) and then Sig P220 (.45ACP steel/aluminum w 4.40" barrel). Definitely happy with my selections thus far in my relatively "young" shooting experience :D

willmc33
July 16, 2012, 12:19 AM
135 is about as light as a .40 gets and it will extend far past 9mm in projectile weight. I have some 125 grain 10mm so I am waiting to see if it is offered in a .40S&W loading because that round screams out of my Glock 29. I prefer 155 grain in .40 but I have shot a feral hog with 135 grain Cor Bon PowRball JHP's and though I was not impressed at all with the penetration of that round or the fact that it basically obliterated i will say that 5+" of the wound were extremely nasty with massive tissue damage for a handgun round and the lead core did penetrate 10". While that roundheld together it was nasty. In comparison though I shot another hog with a 155 grain Federal Hydra Shok and its wound was nearly as bad and it did a complete pass through. 135's arent bad but a .40 shines between 155-165 IMO.
My SD/HD loads are as follows:
9mm: 124 grain +P Speer Gold Dot/147 grain +P Federal HST
.40 S&W: 155 grain Federal Hydra Shok
.45 acp: 230 grain Federal HST/230 grain Remington Golden Sabor
.38 Spl: 135 grain +P Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel/ 158 grain +P Buffalo Bore L.S.W.C.H.P
10mm: 175 grain Winchester Silver Tip/ 125 grain Double Tap Total Copper Barnes Tac

Kevin_d77
July 16, 2012, 12:48 AM
Good info buddy! I will look into some of those other rounds as well. Every range trip I make, I take the mags that are loaded up for home duty and send them all down range first. That way I get practice with the SD rounds and I relieve the springs in the mags too! Unfortunately (or fortunately depending....) I have still around 100 rounds of the .40SW JHP at 135 gr so it will take a while to run through that! I may just buy some heavier round alternatives for the .40 to have on hand as well. I guess the positive with the 135 gr is that you REALLY wouldn't have to worry about punching thru the BG. Typically I prefer the 180gr when I'm shooting the XD anyway.

Looks like you're a fan of the Federal HST as well huh? I'm happy with the 230gr .45 out of the Sig so probably no need to change that. I am still experimenting with the B Eagle though and would be willing to try out different combinations. Like I said, the 135gr "Low Recoil" round as they call it, worked fine but recoil really isn't a problem in that gun. She's built like a tank. I have no objections to experimenting with the Eagle at all. I haven't shot any +P rounds at all, but I don't anticipate there being any problems with the increased pressure. Can you really tell much difference between std, +P and +P+ loadings? Doesn't it put extra wear and tear on the weapon?

Sorry for all of the noob questioning but I literally just got my first 9mm last month and shot it for the first time since owning it last Thursday so I am learning a lot as I go.mgenerally speaking, I feel fairly comfortable when dealing with my .40 and .45 because I have had them the longest and there isn't a TON of different options for ammo loads, just weights and FMJ and JHP.

What are the guns that you are shooting those different rounds with? I am always ready to sit back, shut up and learn something lol!

Nnobby45
July 16, 2012, 01:03 AM
The Federal Personal Defense load in 9mm incorporated the 135 gr. Hydrashok. That was not downloaded, but was "standard" pressure for the caliber. They may still use it, I haven't checked lately.

The 135 gr. load in .40 cal. is the light fast one.

CorBon 135 gr. JHP chron'd @ about 1240 fps from my P229. Some velocities in my P226 were 1300 fps. Some of the early stuff was actually labled +P!

The 135 gr. tends to get criticized by the "heavy is better" folks, but it has worked well on the streets fr LE and civilians. I think LV Metro used CorBon JHP at one time.

I chrono'd some Fed. LE XM40HA 135 gr. ammo that I acquired (Federal) at about 1130 fps. from a P229.

There has to be a designation on the box somewhere that gives better specifics about your ammo.

It's unfortunate that Federal hasn't changed to the HST for civilian SD ammo . I guess they'll always consider it LE ammo.

The Hydrashok was never at it's best at short bbl. velocities, while the HST is much superiour in that regard--even thru clothing.

NOTE: You can buy HST on line in 50 rd. boxes, reasonably priced, in most calibers, and be done with the obsolete H.S. Of course, as long as people buy it, they'll keep it on the shelves.

Kevin_d77
July 16, 2012, 01:15 AM
The Winchester Ranger has Q4368 as a designation on the box.

So the Federal that I have is an old style? It says Federal Premium PD9HSS H, 9mm Luger 135 Grain Hydra-Shok JHP. Personal Defense - Low Recoil on the box. Bought it today at Walmart because I knew it would feed in the Eagle and basically, there is always shortages of 9mm ammo around here! Take what you can get when you can get it!

willmc33
July 16, 2012, 02:02 AM
Roger that. The Hydra Shok goes way back. I like the 230 grain Hydra Shok .45acp though. Some have criticised it for not expanding but that hasnt been my experience. From what I have tested in the HST it is an excellent round. As for +p+ I would NOT shoot any +p+ anything through any of my pistols and wouldnt reccomend it for anyone else either. +P+ has no regulation like SAAMI. I have fired a couple and aside from more blast and noise I didnt notice any felt differnce. My SD/HD platforms are as follows.
9mm: Smith & Wesson 5906 / Sig Sauer P226 Navy / Smith & Wesson Shield9
.40: Smith & Wesson 4006 / Sig Sauer P239
.38 Spl: Smith & Wesson 638 / Model 10 /Smith & Wesson Model 66
.45 acp: Smith & Wesson 4506 / Smith & Wesson 4513 / Para G.I. Expert 1911
10mm: Glock 29

I am alittle partial to the 3rd gen Smith & Wesson.There are alot of good rounds for .40 and the HST performs very well and it comes in 50 rounds versus 20. I used to be big on Golden Sabors because they package 25..lol.

Kevin_d77
July 16, 2012, 02:16 AM
So I should perhaps take a look at Federal HST? Is that the designation?

As it stands now:
Winchester Ranger 135gr XD40 Service
Federal Hydra-Shok 135gr 9mm IMI Baby Eagle
Winchester PDX1 Sig P220

I will definitely look into a heavier load for the 40cal for sure and try out some other loads for the 9mm ad well. I will avoid the +P+ loads entirely (unless shooting it of someone else's gun:rolleyes:)

From what I have read, the Winchester Ranger that I acquired was an over-run of LEO ammo from recoil adverse shooters. It's supposed to be around 1200fps. I'm thinking it would be ok as long as I am not shooting through cars etc. But it would do the job if someone came barging into the house with a couple of well placed shots. Even though I have the Signin .45, the XD is still my go to piece so I guess I should really look at replacing that ammo ASAP. Kinda disappointing but whatever, better to find out now before I found out when I actually needed it!!!

Ever dealt with Underwood ammo??? It's a names have been hearing getting a lot of traction around boards. Pretty reasonably priced and people have been saying good things, especially with their 10mm ammo. Might be worth a try!

willmc33
July 16, 2012, 02:33 AM
The Ranger, Talon, SXT's are good rounds. I If you went HST in 9mm and .40S&W you would have some good rounds. Ammunition to go is where I picked mine up at. They are a priced for 50 what most others are priced at for 20. This is the actual designation for the 9mm / .40 / .45acp .40 is P40HST2 and 9mm is P9HST3 and .45acp is P45HST2. I just checked their web site and bought 3 boxes of the 155 grain HST and some 230 grain HST. Here is the link to that page.
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-40-sw-federal-le-tactical-hst-155gr-hp-ammo/cName/40-sw-hollow-point

I have heard of underwood but havent given them a try yet. The 125 grain Copper Double Tap 10mm is EXPENSIVE but from the testing I have done it would be severely traumatic to be hit with one of these rounds. Hits like a Mack truck, reasonable recoil, and mushrooms bigger then a quarter. That perfect copper HP mushroom.

willmc33
July 16, 2012, 02:40 AM
Another good 9mm is the 135 grain Hornady Critical Duty round. Setup is alittle different then the Critical Defense. Hard to beat the Gold Dot and HST in 9mm though.

Kevin_d77
July 16, 2012, 02:46 AM
Thanks for all the great tips brother! Much appreciated! I will definitely finish up the boxes that I have, but grab something else for when it ReALLY counts!

I guess the Hydra-Shok is the one that really disappointed me! Thought I was getting something that was relatively new and worthwhile! It certainly was priced that way! I want to say it may have been like $23/20 or even more money than that! Boooooooooo!!!!

willmc33
July 16, 2012, 02:56 AM
The Hydra Shok is not that bad but it has been pretty much surpassed now. Still good but these days there are better.

Kevin_d77
July 16, 2012, 02:59 AM
Clicked on that link, on the main .40SW JHP search page, the Winchester Ranger 135 gr is the first thing that pops up haha! $24.95/50! No wonder I got 3 boxes for my b-day, except I'm pretty sure it was under $20 when I got it!

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/40-sw-hollow-point

willmc33
July 16, 2012, 03:30 AM
Look on youtube at some media tests with the HST and see what they consistently mushroom and penetrate like. They are impressive to say the least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWy2AB_AQYo

mete
July 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
If you want serious defense loads I'd stay away for the "Reduced Recoil " loads ,they don't perform well. Other than that all the loads perform wel .Just use the ones that your gun likes.

Kevin_d77
July 16, 2012, 07:45 PM
So there is Hornady Critical Defense in 9mm 135gr Flex Blox 25 for $19.79, +P 135 for $20.69 and .40 175 gr 20 pack for $19.79.

Sounds like the other one were a better deal.

willmc33
July 16, 2012, 07:55 PM
The Federal HST's coming in 50 round boxes really is about the best deal outside of bulk ammo. $29.99 for 50 rounds of very premium SD ammo versus $24.99 for 20 on average is a great deal to me.