PDA

View Full Version : Which auto can be field stripped with ONE hand?

TxFlyFish
July 14, 2012, 10:38 PM
Just for kicks name some that you have successfully field stripped with one hand. I want to try practicing on a couple on my spare time.

so far I've managed the Beretta 92FS

Gats Italian
July 14, 2012, 10:40 PM
Beretta PX4. Pull down tabs, tap rear of slide with the knee, pull off the slide with the hand that no longer needs to pull the tabs.

dogtown tom
July 14, 2012, 10:41 PM
FN/Browning Hi Powers with the SFS system.

jjyergler
July 14, 2012, 10:42 PM
if your name is Jet Li. :p

CDR_Glock
July 14, 2012, 11:01 PM
Beretta 92FS or PX4
Springfield XD

loose_holster_dan
July 14, 2012, 11:06 PM
beretta 92 or clones very easily

Tom Servo
July 14, 2012, 11:12 PM
If you've got the hand strength to lock the slide back, the Sig Sauer P-series guns can be done one-handed.

I've had students with disabilities for whom this is a very real concern.

dsk
July 15, 2012, 01:14 AM
Definitely not the 3rd generation Smiths. They need two hands to field strip, and three to reassemble! :eek:

PSP
July 15, 2012, 05:20 AM
Anyone can do this with a Beretta 92 series. I've done it with my Kahr T9 but it's considerably harder to do that the Beretta.

HKs have a very simple and easy take-down system. I'm sure they can be done one handed.

Kreyzhorse
July 15, 2012, 07:11 AM
I've not tried, but I'm sure the Walther PPS could be done with one hand.

lee n. field
July 15, 2012, 07:21 AM
Bersa Ultra Carry. You don't even have to rack the slide. Drop the magazine, rotate the takedown lever 90 degrees, and pull the slide off from the front.

Spring, guide rod and barrel come out of the slide in the usual way.

FrankenMauser
July 15, 2012, 09:30 AM
Surprisingly... most (or all?) of the Taurus PT-series.

And, if you use your teeth to remove and install the slide stop / disassembly pin, most of the Ruger P-series.

Merad
July 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
A Glock can be done with one hand, but it's not particularly easy.

Webleymkv
July 15, 2012, 11:41 AM
A Walther P38 could theoretically be stripped with one hand, but I wouldn't reccomend it. Lock the slide open, rotate the diassembly latch, and release the slide (the slide and barrel assembly would probably go flying off the frame). A gun with a tip-up barrel like a Beretta Tomcat or Jetfire would make sense for someone with only one hand as there wouldn't be much need to field strip it or rack the slide; simply tip the barrel up, clean it, and push it back down.

Grant D
July 15, 2012, 11:53 AM
My Walther 1962 Model P-38 (P-01) by pushing on the barrel and rotating the disassembly latch, lets the slide and barrel slip off easily.

But like Webleymkv said, I would'nt try it on my Walther AC Model 1941 though.The earlier model you have to lock the slide back to rotate the lever.

Webleymkv
July 15, 2012, 11:56 AM
My Walther 1962 Model P-38 (P-01) by pushing on the barrel and rotating the disassembly latch, lets the slide and barrel slip off easily.

But like Webleymkv said, I would'nt try it on my Walther AC Model 1941 though.The earlier model you have to lock the slide back to rotate the lever.

Upon thinking about it a bit more, I suppose you could theoretically catch the rear sight on the edge of a table or something and ease the slide/barrel assembly off the frame (my younger brother's post-war P38 has a fairly prominent rear sight for a semi-auto of that vintage), but it would still be much easier and less awkward to use two hands.

Grant D
July 15, 2012, 12:03 PM
On the post war P-38 you can push the barrel back just a little and turn the lever, so there is no tension on the springs and it simply slides off.Unlike the earlier models.

Sparks1957
July 15, 2012, 12:04 PM
The Bersa Ultra Carry pistols are about as easy as they come. It might be a challenge getting it back together quickly one-handed, but takedown is simple.

rottieman33
July 15, 2012, 12:19 PM
My Sig Sauer P220 Equinox can be done with 1 hand

James K
July 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
Hmmm. Just trying to think of a situation where that might be needed.

Maybe in the middle of a gunfight, Pete Goodfellow decides to clean his gun, but Joe Badguy has shot Pete's left arm off and .....

Nah.

Jim

Leejack
July 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
Ruger Mark Series .22 autos. :eek:

That's one hand, two feet, a hammer and a buldozer.

j/k :D:D:D

Webleymkv
July 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
Just trying to think of a situation where that might be needed.

Perhaps for someone who only has one useable hand due to injury or deformity (I've known a few one-armed people in my life).

James K
July 15, 2012, 12:38 PM
I also have known several folks who have lost a hand or arm. They usually have ways worked out for doing what they have to do, and part of that involves not buying things that require two hands to operate. I only knew one who was a shooter, and he used an S&W revolver.

Jim

mavracer
July 15, 2012, 01:58 PM
Right off the top of my head I can't think of any I couldn't field strip one handed. Just tried two 1911s one with a FLGR and one with a GI set up. I even did one with each hand.:D
A Walther PP or any of the type might take a couple tries to get back together.

lee n. field
July 15, 2012, 02:37 PM
The Bersa Ultra Carry .... It might be a challenge getting it back together quickly one-handed,....

I actually tried reassembly one handed. Not too difficult.

Fishbed77
July 15, 2012, 03:45 PM
The Walther P99 is very easy to field strip with one hand.

dave9969
July 15, 2012, 04:13 PM
apart is ez
the CZ 75 clones all pretty much come apart the same way lock slide, push pin out with thumb take slide off
this also covers the sig pro 2022 as its more or less the same set up

back together well thats another story aint it? lol

sigcurious
July 15, 2012, 05:18 PM
Not sure, but I think my m&p could be done with one hand. I need to clean it tonight, so I'll give it a whirl. :D

TheSmilingSwordsman
July 15, 2012, 06:10 PM
My Beretta PX4 is the only one I have that could be stripped with one hand.

lee n. field
July 15, 2012, 06:38 PM
Just for kicks name some that you have successfully field stripped with one hand. I want to try practicing on a couple on my spare time.

so far I've managed the Beretta 92FS

Given the challenge, Springfield XD, and Ruger P-90 (in addition to the Bersa UC). I needed a tabletop to push against.

Sharpsdressed Man
July 15, 2012, 09:45 PM
Check out the Glock TOTAL disassembly with one hand on youtube (punch in "glock" & "goindeff" & "one handed").

RickE
July 18, 2012, 07:52 PM
Walther PPk / PPKS

PSP
July 19, 2012, 06:11 PM
Walther PPk / PPKS

I don't see how that would be possible without mechanical aids. :confused: IMHO, it would be impossible using just one's single hand.

Rembrandt
July 19, 2012, 06:48 PM
Desert Eagle and S&W model 41

jmorris
July 19, 2012, 06:57 PM
I can do a tip barreled beretta with one hand but haven't really tried others. A friend of mine lost his right arm years ago and he has no problem doing his 1911. Point is you could do a lot of things if you HAD to.

kcub
July 19, 2012, 07:44 PM
Trick question!

Just get a revolver. Or two.

BitterTait
July 19, 2012, 07:52 PM
Possible with the Makarov. Easier if you don't use a #20 spring though.

JR_Roosa
July 20, 2012, 12:29 AM
I just did it with my 1911.

As long as you can rotate the barrel bushing with one finger while pushing in the plunger with the other, you're good to go.

Putting it back together is easier since easier getting the plunger pushed and bushing rotated back at the same time.

I think you can also do it if you just push the slide back and line up the takedown notch. I can get the slide stop pushed out most of the way, but then I'd need to grab it with my teeth and that's further than I want to go to find a second way to take it down onehanded.

If you're bendy enough and can get the slide pushed back far enough by smooshing the gun between your knees, you can probably pull the slide stop with your teeth and do it no-handed. Again, further than I want to go with this gedankenexperiment.

-J.

Micahweeks
July 22, 2012, 09:23 AM
Glock. Pull the tabs with one hand and use the rear sight on your belt to pull it back.

Sparks1957
July 22, 2012, 09:33 AM
OK, so now you have field-stripped your gun with one hand. Now what? You're sitting there, and you've only got one hand, and a threat is approaching... and your gun is in pieces!

I really don't get why the OP thought this ease of disassembly was so important... Isn't a gun that is assembled far more valuable?

Sharpsdressed Man
July 22, 2012, 07:44 PM
That is really rather cold. The OP might be, or know someone that is, one handed.

Sparks1957
July 22, 2012, 07:54 PM
True, obviously I hadn't considered that. Sorry if anyone was offended.

Nonetheless, you still have a gun in pieces.

Winchester_73
July 22, 2012, 09:06 PM
I just was able to take down (including the rear toggle axle removal) my DWM 1917 Navy luger with one hand.

I'm glad was I able to in case I am ever in a gun fight with a luger, but get one hand / arm mangled, and yet need to field strip it and clean it as I slowly bleed to death after a nuclear war. This skill could come in handy.

Sport45
July 22, 2012, 09:20 PM
The OP said this was just for kicks. Nothing was said or implied about a disability or a perceived need to clean a pistol during a gunfight.

ripnbst
July 22, 2012, 10:07 PM
S&W M&P pistol could be in theory as long as you had a table to push against.

peacefulgary
July 23, 2012, 11:48 AM
A Glock can be done with one hand, but it's not particularly easy.

I love this video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeht1NkninA

Thanks again Dakine425!

power5
July 23, 2012, 12:26 PM
Speed and distress was never mentioned in the OP. Who cares the reason why, the question was simple. Answer or don't. No reason to give your opinion of why it shouldn't be done.

That glock dude must have very strong hands. He makes it look pretty effortless. Only similarity with a 92 would be the basic field strip. Then tools are required to get the grips off. Not saying you can't use tools one handed, but will make it much harder. He did commit a MAJOR internet crime though. He did not show us it was empty multiple times before disassembly. :D

TxFlyFish
July 23, 2012, 11:56 PM
I attempted with the glock and it takes some muscle to strip it. I really like the idea with using your knees to clamp and pull the slide!

IrishBluEyes51
July 26, 2012, 08:27 AM
What pray tell would you be doing with the other hand?

CS86
July 26, 2012, 08:41 AM
I'm suprised no one mentioned a Springfield XD. Flip one lever and it falls apart. I've never tried on mine, and usually I lock the slide back before flipping the lever. I don't think the slide has to be to far back before flipping the lever. You may be able to use your legs, knee, ground, ledge, etc to push the slide back slightly.