PDA

View Full Version : Walmart WWB .45s prices going up.

Venom1956
July 7, 2012, 09:45 AM
Just a heads up for everyone ammo at Walmart WWB mainly increased sometime here in the last week. 9mm went up a buck and bulk 100 pack .45s went up from 36.99 to 39.99 crap. =( Out of the three Walmarts I hunt for ammo at only one didn't have the price increase on the tag yet. It was increased in their system but they would honor the lower price tag.

I'm sure many already knew this but I wanted to post it anyways. I went to stock up and got a shock. They had the best retail deals on ammo. =(

Mrgunsngear
July 7, 2012, 10:18 AM
I used to get 9 and 45 at Walmart but they're not competitive anymore... I buy everything in bulk online nowadays...

lee n. field
July 7, 2012, 10:28 AM
9mm went up a buck and bulk 100 pack .45s went up from 36.99 to 39.99 crap.

Zounds! There's a reason I haven't shot factory loaded .45 for years.

TunnelRat
July 7, 2012, 10:59 AM
Their prices on Federal 9mm 50 ct boxes went up some time ago too. Used to be $11.97 a box where I am, now it's $12.97. The 100 ct boxes are still $20 but they sell out almost instantly here.

I still get 45 on occasion, I just shoot half as much. I wish I had the space for reloading, I just don't right now :(.

CDW4ME
July 7, 2012, 01:24 PM
TunnelRat: I have a reloading bench that has an old progressive press plus a single stage press; however, I've been loading most of my ammo lately on a simple Lee hand press at the kitchen table.
Hand press doesn't need to be mounted on anything.
Hand press, die set, scale, powder measure, dial caliper.
100 ct box of Hornady 185 XTP ~$21
100 primers ~$3.50
Powder for 100 rds ~4.50
Once fired brass picked up from before: free
Financial cost to assemble 100 rds of 45 HP (not counting equipment or time) ~$29
You can get bulk FMJ bullets cheaper, but if I'm going to spend my time doing it I want a good HP.
My point is: the equipment I mentioned would just about fit in a shoe box when not being used, so lots of space not needed to reload / handload.

spodwo
July 7, 2012, 03:18 PM
Well - I don't know where you can get WWB 9mm for 100 at $20.00. It's been $23.97 here for at least a year here. I did note that Federal went up a $1.00. It's now $12.97 per 50. Tula is still $9.97 a box of 50. I still don't see where you can get a deal on line for ammo. When you add shipping - its pretty much a wash.

TunnelRat
July 7, 2012, 03:42 PM
Well - I don't know where you can get WWB 9mm for 100 at $20.00.

I was talking about 100 ct boxes of Federal.

spodwo
July 7, 2012, 06:28 PM
I was talking about 100 ct boxes of Federal.

None of that either...never saw them at our Wally World that cheap...

RBid
July 7, 2012, 07:12 PM
spodwo,

I have only seen the 100 count Federal once. I bought them out. Their slot on the shelf is constantly sold out, which may be why you're not seeing them.

sigarms228
July 7, 2012, 08:29 PM
I find much better deals online than I get at Walmart these days. I would not mind Walmart but I got tired of trying to hunt someone down to help me as the ammo case has to be unlocked.

One day I had some time to kill and I stood by the checkout counter in sporting goods and counted over twenty employees that walked right by me and not a single one glanced at me or asked if I needed some help.

SGAmmo, Natchez, Palmetto State Armory deliver right to my front door plus no sales tax collected from me which is almost 11 percent for me.

Jason_G
July 7, 2012, 08:39 PM
You know, it was not all that long ago (maybe five or six years ago) that a 50 round box of .45 ACP Blazer Brass was about $9 at my local Wally World.

Makes me sad when I think about it. :(

Jason

Botswana
July 7, 2012, 09:10 PM
I have not seen Blazer or WWB at any Wal-Mart yet.

How much does it go for when they do have it in stock?

spodwo
July 7, 2012, 09:36 PM
WWB is 100 rounds for $23.97. So - 24 cents a round without tax.

I haven't seen blazer at our Walmart every. Remington, Tula and Federal round out the other brands.

TunnelRat
July 7, 2012, 09:46 PM
When they do have it, and it comes in waves where I am and I buy them out when it does, the 100 ct Federal for $20 is at a price I haven't seen beat online.

As for the trying to find people, I do agree with that. Luckily the one nearest to me has two good ole boys retired from the military who tend to put getting people ammo above pretty much anything else so I don't have to wait. The other ones I've been to are hit or miss. I live in a pretty rural area though and there are a ton of shooters, so they usually keep that section staffed.

sigarms228
July 8, 2012, 09:39 AM
Luckily the one nearest to me has two good ole boys retired from the military who tend to put getting people ammo above pretty much anything else so I don't have to wait. The other ones I've been to are hit or miss. I live in a pretty rural area though and there are a ton of shooters, so they usually keep that section staffed.

Thats cool. Where I live ammo buyers are pretty much lumped into the same category of respect as child molestors - maybe less. A lot of Walmarts around here have been remodeled and no longer carry ANY ammo. I suspect that is the only way they could get their major remodel approved.

spodwo
July 8, 2012, 10:49 AM
Walmarts around here have been remodeled and no longer carry ANY ammo. I suspect that is the only way they could get their major remodel approved.

Na - it depends on the market. Many of the southern Walmarts or in smaller towns carry ammo, rifles and shotguns. Not so much in more metro areas. Walmart is there to make money and you have to sell items that people want. 3 or 4 small town Walmarts have rifles and shotguns south of me.

QuakertownRich
July 8, 2012, 12:03 PM
Financial cost to assemble 100 rds of 45 HP (not counting equipment or time) ~$29
You can get bulk FMJ bullets cheaper, but if I'm going to spend my time doing it I want a good HP.

For target practice you want hollow points? Why? 45acp non+p velocities are under 900fps, why shoot(waste) on jacketed bullet heads for target shooting?
Don't get me wrong, I have some XTP/HP's loaded, about a box or so that I rarely shoot. For self-defence I have factory ammo. But for shooting at steel targets/punching paper I load lead SWC's for about 12cents a piece or $12 for 100. I would feel like a total idiot if I wasted HP's target shooting.

Venom1956
July 8, 2012, 04:25 PM
I lack the time and space for reloading. Usually I just swing over to walmart and clean out there federal and wwb bulk whenever there is any.

Were can you get 1000 .45 230grn ball for less then 360? that isn't reloaded?or steel cased? (honest question)

There are some brands I've seen for less but I haven't heard much about the quality of the rounds.

orionengnr
July 8, 2012, 06:28 PM
Only ammo I buy at WM is .22LR.
Their Federal Bulk Packs went from $9.84 to $12 and change, to about $14, then recently to about $20 a box.
Really pisses me off.
But I'm glad I hand load all my centerfire cartridges...

spodwo
July 8, 2012, 06:50 PM
CCI SPEER here:

Close to $360.00...anything cheaper is the Tula type ammo...when you add shipping it is higher than $360.00....

http://usarmorment.com/ccispeer-45-cal-230-gr-ball-1000-round-case-p-2114.html

Jason_G
July 8, 2012, 11:41 PM
I have not seen Blazer or WWB at any Wal-Mart yet.

How much does it go for when they do have it in stock?

Probably upwards of $20, but I'm not sure. I stocked up a while back, so I haven't bought any recently. I keep waiting for prices to down, but they aren't going to. Two wars and another pre-election buying frenzy... I'll hope my little stockpile lasts me a while longer and shoot mostly .22 for a while.

Jason

JohnKSa
July 8, 2012, 11:45 PM
Well - I don't know where you can get WWB 9mm for 100 at $20.00.I haven't done a price survey lately, but there are 3 Wal-Marts on my way home from work, and I've seen the prices on WWB 9mm 100ct bulk packs vary by as much as $4 between the three stores. At one point in the not too distant past, one of the 3 stores was selling the 100ct packs for $23.97 and another for $19.97.Just a heads up for everyone ammo at Walmart WWB mainly increased sometime here in the last week.The prices on the WWB 100 packs at the Wal-Marts in the area fluctuate, sometimes one store will be cheaper than the others, awhile later it will be up a little and one of the others will come down a little.

It's not safe to assume that because one Wal-Mart changes its prices on ammunition that it's going to be a country-wide thing.

Frasier
July 8, 2012, 11:56 PM
Must be election year. Four years ago it was $32 for a box of WWB .45 acp ammo. Now its $39.95.:mad:....glad my boss reloads, it costs me $15 for 100 .45's or .38's. Time to invest in my own re-loader, as there is always a ton of brass just lying around on the range.

TunnelRat
July 9, 2012, 12:17 AM
TunnelRat: I have a reloading bench that has an old progressive press plus a single stage press; however, I've been loading most of my ammo lately on a simple Lee hand press at the kitchen table.
Hand press doesn't need to be mounted on anything.
Hand press, die set, scale, powder measure, dial caliper.
100 ct box of Hornady 185 XTP ~$21
100 primers ~$3.50
Powder for 100 rds ~4.50
Once fired brass picked up from before: free
My point is: the equipment I mentioned would just about fit in a shoe box when not being used, so lots of space not needed to reload / handload.

You're right no doubt. I am looking at moving and on the top of the requirements list is a basement with enough space for a reloading bench. With prices the way they are hopefully my equipment would be paid off pretty quick and it would sure as heck save me money with the amount I shoot. I find it hard saving up the funds though and keeping myself from using it for another gun.

jimbob86
July 9, 2012, 12:17 AM
bulk 100 pack .45s went up from 36.99 to 39.99 crap.

Nigh 40 cents a pop ..... I remember when I could reload .270 WIN with premium bullets for less than that.... and that was not so very long ago!

A lot of Walmarts around here have been remodeled and no longer carry ANY ammo. I suspect that is the only way they could get their major remodel approved.

The Walmartz would sell their mother's underwear if they could make money on it and sell it in volume ...... what they stock all depends upon what sells well in that area, and if it does not sell, it won't be stocked very long.

spodwo
July 9, 2012, 06:23 AM
It's not safe to assume that because one Wal-Mart changes its prices on ammunition that it's going to be a country-wide thing.

Right - because Walmart will charge more in better neighborhoods than in neighborhoods with a lower median income. Lowes does the same thing as do many big retailers - it's dynamic pricing based on how much they sell and at what price point. I learned that years ago when shopping between two Walmart stores where I used to live in Colorado. Walmart is the king of pricing across the board whether you like the store or not. Everything is measured....

osageid
July 9, 2012, 09:35 PM
This part of the whole reason I started loading, esp .45. It is so nice not to get frustrated looking into empty ammo shelves. I do feel your pain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Venom1956
July 9, 2012, 09:36 PM
Fair enough but its went up locally @ 3 walmarts within 30 min, Madison which is hour and half away and Milwaukee which is 3 hours away. I have my friends purchase ammo from their stores to bring to me. :D

It could be because I used to buy all of it @ these three stores?;)

Botswana
July 9, 2012, 09:48 PM
WWB ammo showed up here in DFW and it's $37 for a box of 100. Guess I missed the days of $24 a box a long time ago.

Oh well.

jimbob86
July 9, 2012, 09:56 PM
I have my friends purchase ammo from their stores to bring to me.

Yu have minions.....

spodwo
July 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
Well I will be...I just found Federal 100 round packs at a Walmart way down state at $19.97. I bought 4 boxes...first time I saw it in Wally World. I dont get how 50 rounds cost $12.97 and the 100 round box is $19.97 but I won't complain....

PT-92
July 10, 2012, 09:27 PM
9mm can still be had for decent values if properly researched (just don't try doing so via Google :rolleyes:). However, I find .45acp to be increasingly difficult to score a deal on. Consequently, what I did was purchase a full-size nearly identical in every-way GSG 1911 .22lr that I now practice with 80% of the time using my .1911 .45acp the balance. This saves me quite a bit of money on ammo (I do not reload for various reasons most of them related to space and time). Is it a 'perfect' solution...? Of course not but it is (at least for me) the best answer to my 'pocket-book' scarcity.

We all know that the costs of ammo is largely due to 1) the increasing popularity of our sport which is GREAT but naturally results in greater demand and 2) from what my local gun-shop guys tell me is yet another 'significant' election year panic run (I sometimes wonder if such, while valid, is perhaps being exacerbated by greedy vendors)?

Let's just hope we don't see any additional punitive ammo taxes in the near future...

-Cheers

Single Six
July 11, 2012, 06:06 AM
All I know is, the ammo has been plentiful at my Wal Mart for quite some time, until recently. Now we seem to be heading right back into the election year panic again; the ammo shelves here are usually barren. :(

spodwo
July 11, 2012, 08:13 AM
I search the internet for ammunition via google and still get hits as to where to go but again - I am NOT going to find it cheaper for any factory load target ammo than even Walmart unless you get REAL lucky and find that one deal that apparently lasts all of 2 hours before they "run out" of that particular ammo.

I finally got .45ACP dies and will start to reload that but even the prices on components are getting high and then there is the time to do it. I am a pretty busy guy...

Botswana
July 11, 2012, 03:36 PM
.45 ACP WWB going for $38 per 100 at local Wal-Mart in DFW
9mm is going for $22 per 100, which was still far cheaper then anything else they had.

Picked up a box of 9mm because I intend to borrow a friend's Browning BDM on my next range visit. Always been fascinated by it but not about to expect them to provide the bullets.

Venom1956
July 11, 2012, 09:28 PM
Yu have minions.....

Ha Ha! I like this!

factoryrat
July 11, 2012, 09:54 PM
I don't want to encourage anyone to start reloading, as I already have enough competition for used brass at the range.

Funny, but true, story of why I finally started reloading....

Not too long ago while buying ammo at Wally-world, the older guy in front of me asked me why I don't reload. I told him I had no time or space. After a nice informational/motivational conversation w/him, I promptly mounted a progressive press on a 2"x3" rolling cart and now make great .45 ammo for @$65-$70/k. Unfortunately my HK P7 doesn't like lead, so I have to settle for HP's for 1/2 the cost of most store bought 9mm. I pull the cart out when I need some ammo built, and roll it into an unused corner when not in use. I never have seen him since, but he did me such a favor by taking the time to encourage me to be creative and sharing some knowledge, ideas, and advice to a complete stranger.

C5rider
July 13, 2012, 09:23 PM
Not to steal a thread, but this thread is focused enough on over the counter pricing that I think it fits.

A friend and myself were out cycle riding a few months ago, and we stopped into a Dick's sporting goods store. We checked out some prices and my friend asked about the price of Remington 40 cal. 100/ct box.

Clerk said, "Eight bux!" We asked him to check it in the 'puter. "Yup, eight bux." We asked how many boxes he had! :D

Apologies to the next guy who was looking for food for his 40. Haven't seen them for that price since!

spodwo
July 14, 2012, 02:53 PM
Just bought another 100 round Federal box at MY local Walmart for $19.97 - first time I caught them there. Also got 100 round box of UMC 115 JHP for $27.97...I can't complain. So overall - I picked up 500 rounds of Federal 115 g for about $108.00....that works out to less than 22 cents a round.

INMY01TA
July 15, 2012, 08:13 PM
Well I will be...I just found Federal 100 round packs at a Walmart way down state at $19.97. I bought 4 boxes...first time I saw it in Wally World. I dont get how 50 rounds cost $12.97 and the 100 round box is $19.97 but I won't complain....

Just bought another 100 round Federal box at MY local Walmart for $19.97 - first time I caught them there. Also got 100 round box of UMC 115 JHP for $27.97...I can't complain. So overall - I picked up 500 rounds of Federal 115 g for about $108.00....that works out to less than 22 cents a round.

What does this have to do with the price of WWB 45?

gorin
July 16, 2012, 04:05 AM
Reloading is your friend - a decent lead bullet is around 8-10 cents, a primer is 2-3, 7000 grains (1lb) of Bullseye is $19 (you need 5 grains per round) - if you buy all the components you can shoot 3 times more for the same price. If you cast your own bullets it is VERY cheap- well, my .45's are about 5 cents a piece. Its the only way I can afford to feed a machine gun.