PDA

View Full Version : Model 99 Savage

wolf1969
July 2, 2012, 09:57 PM
I have a model 99 Savage lever action chambered for the 300 Savage round. Rotary magazine with round counter. Is it worth keeping? More into practical guns than collectable so any info is appreciated.

Savage99
July 2, 2012, 10:04 PM
The 99 Savage is still a good rifle in my view. I see them for sale in shops for prices of $600 and up if they are in reasonable shape here in CT.

One with a side mount might be worth less.

http://pictures.gunauction.com/5306174036/11017661/gun-auctions-04.14.2012-108.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

(Min. Bid is $495.00.)

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11017661/rifles-for-sale/lever-action-rifle/savage-mod.-99-.300-sav.cal-24-inch-barrel-w-2fminty-bore

gun nut
July 2, 2012, 10:24 PM
Heck yea it's worth keeping. It's shootable and collectible! (I'm assuming that it's condition is safe to shoot?). Also not something you can get anywhere. It should be easy to sell, but tough to replace should you change your mind.

idnative1948
July 2, 2012, 11:33 PM
My brother has dad's 99 in .300 Savage and hunts with it every year. We know where he is when he shoots because they have a very distinct *crack* instead of a big boom.

Jack O'Conner
July 3, 2012, 06:13 AM
Like just about everything, inflation drives costs upward. Savage stopped producing the 99 approx 15 years ago which makes this model collectable. Savage designed the model 99 for big game hunters and many are fielded each fall. Some hunters own more than one 99 and are seeking to buy more.

I suggest keep the rifle if it fits your hunting style. If you don't like it, trade for something else.

Jack

madcratebuilder
July 3, 2012, 06:46 AM
I sold this Savage 99 to a friend that collects them, it was in .250-3000. many consider it the best lever gun ever made. I miss it, but get to shoot it on occasion.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/savage02.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/savage01.jpg

PetahW
July 3, 2012, 09:33 AM
The .300 Savage has no flies on it, either - the .308 Winchester was designed directly from it, and has only as much better ballistics than the Savage than the .30-06 does over the .308W.

I've used my peep-sighted ca 1953 Model 99-EG .300 out to about 300yds on deer w/NP.

Later models have a tang safety & are factory prepped for scope mounts.

If you happen to have a takedown model, I would take it down as litttle as possible, to keep it from loosening up.

rebs
July 3, 2012, 09:48 AM
I have one that is drilled and taped for a peep site, I wish I could find a peep site for it.
It is a beautiful rifle It was my Grand father and then my Dad's and now mine, somee day it will be my son's as well.

gunloony
July 3, 2012, 12:52 PM
I have one that is drilled and taped for a peep site, I wish I could find a peep site for it...

If I remember correctly (Don't bet any money on that) both Lyman and Williams (and possibly others) made receiver peep sights for the 99. No clue whether they are still in production, but there should be some available somewhere. Gunbroker or GunsAmerica or similar web sales sites might be a good place to look.

ligonierbill
July 3, 2012, 05:45 PM
Try Marble Arms: www.marblearms.com. They still make the tang mounted aperture that was popular many years ago. Got one for my 99D, but have not mounted it yet.

tahoe2
July 3, 2012, 11:44 PM
I have had one for ten years, that i got from a friend, it used to be his grandad's and has taken several deer & elk.
I reload for it and it still puts 5 rounds into 1-1/2" @ 100 yds, it was made in 1951, it is in great shape with honest wear.
They are worth keeping and lots of fun to shoot!

knowyourlimit
July 4, 2012, 12:32 AM
Worth keeping, collectible and a shooter too!

Colorado Redneck
July 4, 2012, 05:36 PM
One of my brothers had a Savage 99 chambered in 30-30, and it had the peep sight. I never really appreciated the peep sight as much as he did. I did use that rifle to take a couple mule deer. The action was really nice, for a lever gun. Wish I could get my hands on that gun, but when he died his widow gave it to her nephew. Dang!:(

To Wolf1969--unless you are really set on getting rid of the rifle, it should increase in value. Oil it up and store it and leave it to your kids or somebody.

loose_holster_dan
July 5, 2012, 10:42 AM
just sold my 308 for $1500 a couple months ago.

dab102999
July 5, 2012, 10:57 AM
Absolutely keep it...but I won't tell ya what to do...but ya keep it!!!

On the up side you can still find ammo and Horandy just put it back in there line up again this year so I would think prices should start to drop a couple of dollars. But not uncommon to find a box below $30 a box if you look. I have quite a few of the 99's and 300 / 250-3000 is the tie for the ones I like to shoot the most.

Pahoo
July 5, 2012, 01:22 PM
Kind of depends on you current position. If you don't need to sell it, then by all means, don't. I'm getting to the age when I'm starting to thin down my collection and If I had a chance to pick one of these up, I'd doing do it in a flash. If you are young, then it's value will only go up. If not, then give it to one of you kids as a future investment. I have three Daughters that for the most part, could care less about guns. I have given them some with a fact sheet, history and current value. They are in good hands. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

pdbertb
July 5, 2012, 07:49 PM
I was looking for a nice Winchester 94 when I saw a different lever action on the shelf at my LGS. Turned out to be a 1954 Model 99RS with the Redfield peep sight chambered in .300 Savage. I had never heard of the 99 before, but the build quality and case hardening where outstanding so I bought it. Turns out it was a great buy. Having since found a model 94 it doesn't compare to the 99 and the 94 will be loosing it's spot in the safe soon.

gmarr
July 9, 2012, 07:58 PM
I was looking at getting a lever-gun to round out my collection, and as I like some of the 'non-standard' calibers, when I finally found one in really good shape...well, I grabbed it in a flash. .300 Savage is an excellent round with ballistics almost to the .308. Classic looks and a smooth action, what's not to like about the Model 99.

mete
July 10, 2012, 08:59 AM
That's a keeper !

Rotary magazine -- NEVER take it apart !! They even told us that in gunsmithing school !