PDA

View Full Version : Browning BL-22 Lever Action

1semaj1
June 30, 2012, 09:50 PM
I have a Browning BL-22 (.22 lever action) rifle that was my dad's. It's now my sons. It's had a few thousand rounds through it in the last few years and I've come to realize that, it's never really been properly cleaned.

How do I "field strip" this rifle

Bud Helms
July 1, 2012, 06:18 AM
What is the purpose of the poll?

Bailey Boat
July 2, 2012, 12:12 PM
I don't know about the poll but take my advice and don't go any further than the manual suggest. If you don't have a manual you can download one from the net.
I've been wrenching on guns for 30+ years and the BL 22 was the most agrivating piece of **** to get back together I have ever held in my hands.

PetahW
July 3, 2012, 09:39 AM
I would only take it down, per the manual, and use a spray blaster to clean the internals, after running a cleaning rod through the bore.

A bit of judicious oiling afterward, and it should be good for another 40 years. ;) . :p

bn12gg
July 4, 2012, 09:10 AM
1sem... FWIW, I'd go over to Rimfire Central forum (Browning Section) and ask the BL22 question. A number of guys can really assist you. By most comparisons, the BL22 is a difficult full strip for complete cleaning. I own a BL22 Grade II and enjoy it but don't put tons of rounds thru it. They are fun petite lever action 22's.

Good luck

.02 David

OJ
July 4, 2012, 10:59 AM
Bailey Boat

Posts: 290 I don't know about the poll but take my advice and don't go any further than the manual suggest. If you don't have a manual you can download one from the net.
I've been wrenching on guns for 30+ years and the BL 22 was the most agrivating piece of **** to get back together I have ever held in my hands.

I'll second that in spades!!

Truth be known, 22 rimfires shoot so clean there's usually no reason for the average owner to have to disassemble a BL222 to clean it. I did it to satisfy my own curiosity and decided never to do such thing again without better reason.

YMMV

gyvel
July 4, 2012, 11:24 AM

Then you obviously have never messed with a Nylon 66. :D:D

FrankenMauser
July 4, 2012, 06:05 PM

I wouldn't call it a "piece of ****". It's just an exercise in patience and tight tolerances.

bn12gg
July 7, 2012, 07:36 PM
1sem-- I note the BL22 was your dad's. If it is a 1969 or 1970 (barrel saying "patent pending" it is abit of a special BL22. These little lever actions came into production in these years. They are believed to be the finest of the BL22's which continue to be made to this day. They have a nice trigger and the walnut is often superb in its' figure. I purchased mine about 5 years ago, and was astonished with the rifles accuracy. Mine has a Weaver 3x9-40 on it. Good luck with yours.

.02 David :)

ps Mine is a 1970.

OJ
July 7, 2012, 11:40 PM
bn12gg

Posts: 87 1sem-- I note the BL22 was your dad's. If it is a 1969 or 1970 (barrel saying "patent pending" it is abit of a special BL22. These little lever actions came into production in these years. They are believed to be the finest of the BL22's which continue to be made to this day. They have a nice trigger and the walnut is often superb in its' figure. I purchased mine about 5 years ago, and was astonished with the rifles accuracy. Mine has a Weaver 3x9-40 on it. Good luck with yours.

.02 David

ps Mine is a 1970

I second that in spades - I was started on bolt action which I never learned to like - in 1933 -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/Jackatage6WhitmanNE.jpg

I got my BL22 in 1968 - dealer was a good friend - sold it to me for $150.00 - the same day he sold me a Winchester 94 in 30-30 new for $90.00 -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/ABL222.jpg

I mounted a Williams FPGR aperture rear sight - fits the grooves designed for the scopes -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/IMG_1552_edited-1.jpg

Love it !!!

Bailey Boat
July 8, 2012, 06:59 AM
I wouldn't call it a "piece of ****". It's just an exercise in patience and tight tolerances.

If you had messed with that thing for 4 hours like I did, you'd call it that as well..... The gun is good quality, its the internal design of the ejector that makes it a bear. It could have been made just as nice but much simpler.....

ThundarStick
November 7, 2013, 07:05 AM
I made a tool to hold the ejector in place while reassembling my BL22. Take a small diameter stick (I use a bamboo skewer), cut a small angled slot in the end for the ejector to seat in, put the spring in, the ejector, and you can hold it in place through the ejector port while you slide the receiver halves together. Took longer to make the tool than to reassemble the rifle the first time. I can't believe I have never seen this posted any where on the net. It makes the BL22 a cake walk! :)

44 AMP
November 9, 2013, 12:32 PM

I think we all understand that its only a piece of ... because of the frustration involved.

That being the case, I strongly recommend you never try to reassemble a Savage 99 rotary magazine. ;)

There is only one fault I can find with the BL-22, and its not the fault of the rifle. If you expect the lever to have the same amount of throw found in other guns, you'll almost break your fingers the first time.

Almost.

And ONLY the first time!:D