PDA

View Full Version : Improving my .308 knowledge: CZ vs Zastava/Parker Hale

Pond, James Pond
June 25, 2012, 11:55 AM
Over here, the most common used rifles are IZH followed by CZ. I know little about IZH but CZ, although not a H&H type masterpiece, seem to deliver very good quality at a price that is not eye-watering.

However, I always keep my eyes open for any unusual, interesting or good value rifles for sale beyond those.

Recently, I have seen a couple of new-to-me kids on the block.

One is a Zastava .308 bolt action (Serbia). I've seen one being sold with a scope included.
The other is also a bolt action .308, also sold with a scope: a Parker Hale (UK).

This used Zastava, for example, is a little cheaper with a scope than a used CZ 550 is without.

Then there is the Parker Hale, also with a scope. As yet price unknown: I'd have to call and ask. But here I am most intrigued by the fact that it is almost unknown here: I doubt there are many about.

Are a Zastava's or Parker-Hale's finish and durability in build and components up to a CZ 550's standards?
Are they even particularly accurate?
Or are they budget brands that will end up costing more in missed shots and broken bits.

This is not all about buying.
I do want a rifle at some stage but right now this is more about knowledge as well as being forewarned to pounce on fabulous deals, should they arise!!

Scorch
June 25, 2012, 12:22 PM
Zastava Mausers are made in Serbia, as you noted. Very functional, strong guns, but the finish is a little rough and their wood is of variable quality. I have seen some with beautiful stocks, others with very plain wood, always stained and varnished. The Zastava plant has been making Mausers for almost 75 years, and they are pretty good at it. Their rifles have been exported under various brand names since the 1950s.

Parker-Hales were made in England during the 1960s through the 1980s. Many of the older models had very nice Yugoslavian-made Mauser actions made by the Zastava plant, and I have heard others say there were some FN actions as well. The later models had a proprietary push-feed action, and parts are virtually unavailable for these actions (not that a good gunsmith couldn't make parts, but that drives up the cost of repairs).

CZ is a well-known gun making company (formerly sold as Brno brand, after the name of the city where the CZ plant has been for a long time). These are well-made improved Mauser actions. They use very good barrels. Parts are generally available for most of their guns.

Given these choices, you would not get hurt by getting a Zastava Mauser, but my money is on the CZ. Avoid the Parker-Hale.

Pond, James Pond
June 30, 2012, 02:42 AM
I went to see the Zastava. Nice action, very smooth, and what seemed like quite a nice trigger.

Well used, though, judging by the wooden furniture and the shop owner said that it was aobut 25years old.

They wanted €500 for it. I had a Tasco 4-12 x 40. In other words a €50 scope on it. A commission sale which usually means there is little room for negotiation.

I know that old, in terms of firearms doesn't automatically mean bad and that some manufacturing techniques or standards actually yielded fine guns then , than those we get now. However considering a CZ 550 is €650 new, and that the scope is wouldn't be my ideal purchase anyway, I decided to walk away.

I will go to see the Parker-Hale, but purely out of curiosity!