PDA

View Full Version : Gun show Rifles

UnbearablePanda
June 23, 2012, 02:51 AM
Well in a few months I shall be attending a gun show with a couple friends. That being said what are some major deals that make it a must buy?
[List]
Mosin Nagant 91/30
7.62x54r - 880/1760 rounds
Buffalo jerky - 5-10 pounds
Cleaning mat
12 gauge target load - 250
Savage 220 - Depends on price -200 will have to.

What else is great buys at a gun show?

ihctractor
June 23, 2012, 05:18 AM
I see nothing on your list that will be an automatic "best buy" at a gun show.
The best deals at a show will be found by chance, usually from an individual walking around trying to sell something.
You'll find your cleaning mat and shotty target loads cheaper at Walmart.

Buffalo jerky? Won't be deal, but delicious none the less!

PetahW
June 23, 2012, 07:02 AM
[What else is great buys at a gun show?]

Quirky bumper stickers.

Used gun sights (excluding scopes)

Knives (sometimes)

Holsters

Used cast boolit molds

Art Eatman
June 23, 2012, 07:04 AM
You'll do best on Sunday afternoon, pricewise. Many guys will seriously cut prices to keep from hauling stuff home.

oneshot onekill
June 23, 2012, 07:09 AM
I usually get reloading supplies. Especially 45ACP projectiles. They're generally half the price you find at Gun Shops. So what if they're kept in a sandwich Baggie!:eek:

Go with an open mind and a pocket full of money. I've found some pretty odd "deals"... Original 14th Century Samurai Sword for $200, nice leather holster for my Smith 686 for $10, HK P9S for $200, Randall Fighting Knife for $300, etc. There's ALWAYS something worth buying at a Fun-Show! :D

Rifleman1776
June 23, 2012, 07:40 AM
Gun shows have become only that, 'shows'. It is fun to look around and see what is new or being passed as old. Meeting old friends is part of the attactraction. There seem to be fewer dealers with interesting old parts, obsolete ammo, accessories, etc. And prices are out of sight. All the dealers complain they aren't selling much. With the prices so high it is no wonder.

tahunua001
June 23, 2012, 10:39 AM
gun shows are not where you go to get the best deals. gun shows are the best place to find something you are looking for when all the usual vendors in your area do not normally carry them. it's where all the young bucks take all the old rifles that they found in their grampa's closet and want to get rid or just want an appraisal and end up walking out with a pocket full of cash. the last show I went to did not have a mosin nagant under $200 unless it had a dried out stock, shot out bore and did not include the usual goody pack that comes with them. there were no nazi stamped mausers for under a grand and even the yugo and turkish mausers were steep. the aks were almost non existent but there wasn't a single one for under $600. unless you get a vendor who is looking to cash in his chips or it's a private party you are not likely to find a good deal at a gun show.

mapsjanhere
June 23, 2012, 10:46 AM
And don't forget, the real steals have been grazed over already by the professionals. Half the reason we get a table is to be in at 8 am Saturday and check out if someone has the real deal.

oneshot onekill
June 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
I dont know... I go to Fun-shows with an open mind and a brain full of the knowledge I've amassed ove the last 40+ years of collecting, buying, selling and trading. If I can stay focused on the tables and not hindered too much by the crowd, I always come away with some treasure.
The trick is to be nice, not cocky or arrogant. Don't come across like you're an expert... Even if you are. Be honest and treat people with respect... And dont wear CAMOUFLAGE!!! I've made offers on guns to people walking around that we're half of what they wanted. Had them walk away, only to seek me out half an hour later and take my offer. One guy even told me a dealer offered more but he wanted me to have it because the dealer was an ass. I found that dealer and it was true. I love gun shows!:D

PetahW
June 23, 2012, 01:39 PM
And don't forget, the real steals have been grazed over already by the professionals. Half the reason we get a table is to be in at 8 am Saturday and check out if someone has the real deal.

FWIW, the insider deals go down on Friday, during setup.

mapsjanhere
June 23, 2012, 02:29 PM
We never have enough to justify setting up early ;)

UnbearablePanda
June 24, 2012, 12:34 AM
X_X maybe I shall wait till after the election so everyone calms down on the over pricing. Probably look around for a few wooden gun stocks in the low 100 range to just refinish the stock and sell it to a friend. Ammo is probably a must, not many gun stores near me except big 5....... So gotta deal with that later lol. Or just wait until my friend gets his license and just buy from him.

BIG P
June 24, 2012, 12:41 AM
The gun show is just to look at stuff the LGS dont have,never hold your breath on getting a good deal.:(

madcratebuilder
June 24, 2012, 06:13 AM

THIS!

The really good stuff is long gone before the public gets in the show, some of it goes to another table at double the price.

oneshot onekill
June 24, 2012, 07:32 AM
Wow... So much pessimism... No wonder I do so well! Of course there are Pre-show deals that the general public misses out on. But who cares. You never had a chance at those to begin with.
There are ALWAYS deals that got missed! It's just a matter of knowing what to look for and being willing to take a chance based on that knowledge.
I'll still enjoy Fun-shows!

dave9969
June 25, 2012, 05:39 PM
our local fun shows are run by either Suncoast Gun Shows or there is an Araba temple in Ft. Myers that holds one about 2 times a year.
the suncoast shows are on an aggressive rotation so they make it through town about every 4 months, so you will see them again.
the Araba guys are almost all antique stuff. No real dealers at them, just a bunch of old guys emptying their closets to pay for new golf shoes or the like.

Now, there has been lately a new comer, 2 Guys Gun show. It is typically in Pt. Charloette, not a large venue for the "show" but it seems they try to hit the weekend AFTER the big shows. Maybe to pick up sales from buyers remorse I suppose. Bloke takes home his show purchase only to have the wife inform him NOT IN MY HOUSE!!

Now that Shoot Straight has basically taken over the big shows, you can pretty much price all the guns at these shows with their catalog pricing. Everybody pretty much prices in line with them.
Before they arrived, you had a 50/50 shot at extremely stupid high pricing or good deals. So I suppose at least shoot straight leveled the playing field for the over chargers.
IT has been my personal experience, the "deals" are often outside the gate before the show opens. I have watched so many Mosin-Nagants sold at the gate its funny. They typically just put a for sale "white surrender flag" with a price an walk around outside before they open. Usually sold before opening of the gates.

oneshot onekill
June 25, 2012, 06:12 PM
I'm from Florida too. I don't even look at Shoot Straight's "half" of the hall. My deals are usually had from either guys walking around, small "private sale" tables or the guys that have something different from their area of expertise. Like the AR15 dealer that has a 1911 he took on trade. Or the "knife guy" that has a black-powder rifle... (Actually got a Great deal that way). Knowledge is power!

Gunplummer
June 26, 2012, 07:50 AM
Not what they used to be, but what is? I still find bullets that were dropped from production and other reloading stuff. If a younger guy is looking for a deer rifle the tables are loaded with excellent buys. If a dealer wants too much, just walk away. If the rifle is 50 years old, how many rounds could possibly be run through a deer rifle? Take advantage of the slack interest in something and forget about the latest rage.

Doyle
June 26, 2012, 08:25 AM
I hit Suncoast's shows a couple of times a year. The best deals are to be had from the guys bringing in guns to sell or trade.

Mr Budha
June 26, 2012, 09:46 AM
Went the to last gun show here in Miami and ended up only walking out with some ammo (which was overpriced). Learned very quickly that gun shows are not where the deals are at.

Baba Louie
June 26, 2012, 10:25 AM
As others have pointed out, there are actually 2 or maybe 3 levels of dealings at most shows.

1st is the vendor setup and their wheeling/dealing amongst themselves before Joe Public walks in. Everyone ought to work a show or two at least once in their lives to see and participate in the up front good old boy "whatcha got that I can't live without?" and "How ya been" small talk that goes on. It can be fascinating to watch. If you're a newbie to it, you probably won't get too many "best deals" until everyone gets to know ya.

Then there's the open the doors for Joe Public "lookee loo" hell on earth for a day or two. Serious buyers have serious vendors they frequent if their niches coincide, which can be nice.

Sunday afternoon breakdown is your final time for getting rid of or trading off for, and the How'd ya'll do/see ya'll next week/month/ya'll goin to Tulsa? time.

BUT... if it's a "Pre-Election" show... all bets are off. There's money to be made. ;)

kilimanjaro
June 26, 2012, 11:58 AM
You can beat the price of that 7.62x54R ammo at SGAmmo.com.

I enjoy the gun shows as events, but not for shopping. While I can get something the local store doesn't have, it's overpriced almost every time. If you go in with the attitude that a nice piece you've been looking for is going to be worth more than you think is appropriate, you'll do alright. Just reserve that attitude for the stuff it should be reserved for, not the run of the mill pieces.

Ammo is overpriced. Ammo cans are OK in price, and you get to choose which ones you buy. Parts and scopes are OK in price. 98% milsurps are going to be overpriced, but you can dicker.

You can get some great deals on Granddad's deer rifle in minty condition, folks are buying the shiny ARs and AKs.

sc928porsche
June 27, 2012, 03:30 AM
Usually depends on the size of the show. The more competition the better. I sure do miss the August Cal Expo shows. Takes ALL day if you look closely at everything. Lots of firearms, parts, accessories, reloading equipment, knives, jewelry. Usually done in 2 two story buildings. 1000's of firearms. Some great deals there if you look carefully.

Art Eatman
June 27, 2012, 07:53 AM
Depending on what you're looking for, the part of the country can matter. I've been to gunshows at Las Cruces, Deming and Wickenburg. Lots of really old stuff, particularly old Colt parts and Winchester lever actions. Fair prices on good used reloading equipment

johnwilliamson062
June 28, 2012, 10:20 PM
Been pretty dissapointed the last few years in Ohio. Seems people want more than new for used guns and want to buy everything at $100 under value. Non--firearm items seem to be all people actually buy at gun shows.