PDA

View Full Version : Best Quality: Sig Pro 2022 or FNX

Sheep Doggy Dogg
June 21, 2012, 10:21 AM
Of the two mentioned, which would you say is built to the best quality? This will be mainly a range/HD gun, but maybe see some carry as well. Is one better or are they about the same?

ScotchMan
June 21, 2012, 10:28 AM
I haven't owned either gun, so take this for what its worth. But I would buy the FN if deciding between these two. I seem to see the FN compared to HK a lot, and the ones I've held feel very solid. I also like hammer-fired guns, and I believe the FN gives the option of cocked-and-locked carry.

The Sigs get a lot of praise as well, especially the SP2022, so I doubt you can go wrong.

TunnelRat
June 21, 2012, 10:37 AM
I would personally choose the FNX. The one I owned in 40 cal was a really soft shooter with good features. The SP2022 is cheaper though and has a cult following.

Edit: IMO both of those are bit large and wide for carry. It can be done but there are other choices that might be more comfortable for carry. They're more duty sized weapons.

shuler13
June 21, 2012, 10:39 AM
Don't have experience with the FN, but having shot the 2022 on a few occasions, I enjoy it as much as my p226. It's built very well and a pleasure to shoot.

excelerater
June 21, 2012, 10:48 AM
id have to try them side by side but def a good stand off

I wish they would do more online or magazine compros
ike they do in car magazines

SigPro,FNX,CZP07,RugerSR9 would be a good choice in the 400-450 range

sigarms228
June 21, 2012, 10:49 AM
Most likely they are close enough that it does not matter and IMO you should go with what you can shoot the best.

The SP2022 has a reputation of great reliability, durability, quality trigger, and accuracy.

Mine is a German made 9MM SP2022 with triple serial numbers, night sights and Ilaflon finished slide. It is a pleasure for me to shoot.

RC20
June 21, 2012, 02:58 PM
I would personally choose the FNX. The one I owned in 40 cal was a really soft shooter with good features. The SP2022 is cheaper though and has a cult following.

Tunnell Rat- If we lived in the same area we wold have a good time (I like the HKs a lot) and I would smack you on a regular basis as well.

So, the smack down: Sig SP2022 is not CHEAPER, its LESS EXPENSIVE.
And its not a CULT, its got an enthusiastic base because its a good gun. Sheese.

I have not shot the FN, I have handled it. I did not care for the feel. Trigger was not as good. Frankly it felt to light and cheap (and that could be me, I like a certain amount of heft to my guns and the SP2022 is in that area of feeling solid).

I don't think you can go wrong with the FN, but I sure do like my SP2022.

Not sure on the price as I did not check if the FN had extra mags and if not what they cost. Sigs are about $25 if you shop around.

Peas
June 21, 2012, 03:06 PM
I have a SP2022 in 9mm and it's been pretty good to me so far. I have not done any extensive testing with it beyond a couple 250 round sessions at a local range. It shoots well (rather low though, even with holding the sights covering the target), functions well, and is plenty comfortable for my hands. The only issues I have had with it have come from Winchester White Box ammo, but I haven't fed it any steel cased yet. It is heavy for a polymer pistol however, something to keep in mind if you do plan to carry it. Also, the factory magazines are more expensive than the MecGar 17 round magazines, but they have a much better fit to the magazine well. There is a space between the frame and the base of the MecGars, but they feed fine. For the 450ish I paid for it, I am very happy.

Have shot an FNX-9 when I was trying to decide between the two, and I went with the 2022 as I felt the controls were easier to manipulate and it felt a bit better in my hands. That's just me though. Both good guns for the price.

Hope this helps.

TunnelRat
June 21, 2012, 03:46 PM
So, the smack down: Sig SP2022 is not CHEAPER, its LESS EXPENSIVE.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cheaper

Hence the definition of cheaper...?

And its not a CULT, its got an enthusiastic base because its a good gun. Sheese.

It's a turn of phrase. It's a very popular gun, hence a "cult-like following"?

Though I must admit you're not doing the best job proving it isn't a cult :cool:.

Honestly dude I am not in any way saying anything negative about the SP2022 here. I think you need to chill.

Between those two guns I liked the FNX slightly better is all. Oops.

WVsig
June 21, 2012, 04:10 PM
In terms of overall quality it is a push. They are both high quality guns.

I used to have an FN but I sold it twice. They are good guns and were a solid choice when you could get them for around $300 with 3 mags, shooter pack etc... these days at their $550+ price point it would not be my choice for a poly gun.

I still have my SP2022 and I am not a member of any cult. :cool:

dave9969
June 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
as an owner of a Sig 2022 with an E serial number its one of the newest ones. I have owned it less than a year, but in that time I have fed it every ammo I could get my hands on. I'm currently around 2500 rounds down the pipe now.
I have fired
federal
tulamo
winchester white box
spam can russian surplus
reloads of all makes
it has never so much as stove piped or failed to fire. Not ONCE.

If I had to have ONE complaint it would be I dont really like the break down on it. The majority of sigs break down with the slide back and flip the break down lever around to remove the slide. The 2022, you pull the slide back line up the lots and the slide lock pin pops out from the other side as you push it up and out. I don't like that. Other than that, the gun is amazing.
You can not tell by the looks how many rounds it has had run through it. The slide is still nice an snug, no rattle what so ever. The gun looks as good as it did day one.

No opinion on the other pistol, but hey, pistols are like potato chips, nobody can have JUST ONE!

Burner
June 21, 2012, 06:53 PM
Having owned one and handled both, the FNX seems better manufactured, and I would trust FN's manufacturing credentials over Sigs' any day.

Noreaster
June 21, 2012, 07:10 PM
No experience with an FN. The Sig Pro is an awesome handgun. It's the red headed step child of Sig but I don't know why because it's a real value.

loose_holster_dan
June 21, 2012, 08:57 PM
as i always tell people who are considering the sp2022, i will suggest you shoot it or at least dry fire it first. the trigger reach is extremely short and is uncomfortable for many people with large hands. as long as the trigger is comfortable for you, it's a great gun. very good construction for the price, and the trigger is very crisp.

WVsig
June 21, 2012, 09:03 PM
SP2022s ship with short triggers. You can swap it out with a standard reach trigger.

loose_holster_dan
June 21, 2012, 09:04 PM
where would one get such a trigger?

WVsig
June 21, 2012, 09:14 PM
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-standard-trigger-aluminum-sigpro-black.html

You can also switch to the large grip.

loose_holster_dan
June 21, 2012, 09:21 PM
cool. they're right by me. maybe i'll stop by.

loose_holster_dan
June 21, 2012, 09:53 PM
looks like gas would cost me more than shipping. ordered. i'll let you guys know how they work out.

TunnelRat
June 21, 2012, 10:13 PM
I've ordered a number of items from Top Gun Supply. Extremely nice and knowledgeable folks. Good prices too.

I have medium sized hands and even I prefer the standard triggers. The short ones have a tendency to pinch my stubs. But it's an easy swap and prob worth it.

jr24
June 22, 2012, 01:15 AM
Haven't shot either but handled both. I liked them both, but I felt the Sig was a bit... better? Maybe just my hands/Sig bias. I think, however, if I were to buy between then I would get the FN. I've already got a Sig that size :D

loose_holster_dan
June 22, 2012, 06:37 AM
yeah, i've been in the store 3 times total. once at the old place and twice at the new. it's about a 40min drive for me. i bought my s&w airweight 38, hk psp, and sig p226 uspsa from them.

WVsig
June 22, 2012, 07:10 AM
Loose what grip are you using?

N.H. Yankee
June 22, 2012, 07:35 AM
I have the SP2022 in 9mm ( total German manufacture ) and the FNP 40cal. The SP2022 trigger is hard to beat, but the FNP is very good also. Accuracy, surprisingly the FNP I have out shoots the SP2022, but both are very accurate.

Reliability, both are dead nuts reliable using numerous brands of hollow points and reloads. Ergonomics, I tend to slightly prefer the FNP. Cost goes to the SP2022, has to be one of the best deals going for a high quality, accurate, reliable pistol.

loose_holster_dan
June 22, 2012, 08:22 AM
i'm not sure. whatever came on it. i probably should have checked before i bought the large one from topgunsupply. for that matter, the other one is probably in the box. oh well. it was only $10.