PDA

View Full Version : Reminton Model 7 question

PawPaw
June 20, 2012, 04:08 PM
I was at the LGS today, and saw a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08, overpriced. I asked to look at it and was taken aback at the stock. It seemed like some after-market plain-jane stock with no checkering whatsoever. It did have the classic Model 7 schnabel forened, but I seem to recall that the other Model 7 I've seen had a fairly nice checkered stock.

I'm thinking about that rifle and the shop-keeper is not unopposed to bargaining the price, but I need to know if the Model 7 was ever sold with a plain-jane stock? If I can bargain the price down it might be a nice rifle. But, that stock has me bugged.

Help me out, guys.

arch308
June 20, 2012, 06:07 PM
I bought a Model 7 in .308 back in the early 90's. It has a beautiful wood stk with checkering. Love that rifle!
I have seen others like mine and some w/synthetic stks but not a plain one. Hope this helps.

bamaranger
June 21, 2012, 02:22 AM
Seems like certain versions of the Model 7 were sold as "youth" models with a birch stock as you describe. The object was that as the youth matured, a nicer or different stock could be purchased that was full sized.

PawPaw
June 21, 2012, 05:54 AM
Seems like certain versions of the Model 7 were sold as "youth" models with a birch stock as you describe.

You're right. A little googling around and I found it. Same birch stock that I saw at the gun store. Thanks! Except this stock is all beat to hell.

Doyle
June 21, 2012, 07:32 AM
PawPaw, the early model 7's did have a very nice walnut stock. My go-to gun is one in .260Rem with the 18.5" bbl. I traded off a .243 that looked like its twin brother. Somewhere along the way, they dropped the 18.5" bbl in favor of a 20" bbl and changed the standard stock to composite.

jmr40
June 23, 2012, 09:57 AM
It is one of the youth versions. The stock should have a shorter LOP. If I were interested in getting into one cheap and was going to go with an aftermarket stock anyway that would be a good route.

PetahW
June 23, 2012, 01:49 PM
The good part is, the stock is dippable..............

Once upon a time, I bought a blued 7mm-08 Model Seven with an early Remmy black synthetic stock that looked like puke.

After I sent the stock out to a hydrographic stock dipper, to get a camo dip, I had a fairly nice-looking blued/Realtree Seven I was able to double my money on.

Joe Chicago
June 23, 2012, 10:21 PM
I had a bad experience with a Model Seven in 7mm-08 last year. During my first trip to the range the bolt was almost impossible to cycle after shooting Remington and Federal factory ammunition. I contacted the factory and sent it back because the head space was off. They repaired the rifle and it shot fine after that. I also had to send another new Remington rifle back to the factory last year, which leads me to conclude that Big Green has let their quality slip of late.

Go ahead and get a Model Seven, but look for an older used one from when Remington's quality was still good. You'll save a few bucks too.

Unless you reload, you may want to buy a .308 instead of 7MM-08. When I was able to find 7MM-08 it ran $28 / box of 20 while .308 is everywhere in many flavors and can be had for $19/20 rounds.

warbirdlover
June 25, 2012, 07:29 PM
I have had just the opposite results of Joe Chicago in regard to buying Remington's and their quality.

Back in the 80's I bought a brand new 700 BDL in 7mm Mag. It was to be my dream gun. My friend at work (FFL) ordered it for me.

It was the worst monstrosity I ever saw. The bolt handle blueing looked "purple" for lack of a better description but the rest of the gun was attractive. When I went to fire it it wouldn't shoot 2" groups at 100 yards. I was playing with the spent cases and rotated one 90ยบ and it would not go back in the chamber! Also it WOULD NOT chamber Remington ammo, only Winchester and had an "oval" out-of-round chamber! I got rid of it as fast as I could. Junk in the 80's.

Last summer I bought a 700 SPS Buckmasters .270 Win. It has the all black finish and not blued with a camo stock. It is VERY well made. The trigger works great, the gun shoots sub MOA groups and the bolt is smooth as silk. Now this rifle was made in 2011 according to the paperwork.

Lemons back then, lemons now. I'm betting Joe got two that were built by the same drunk that by now has lost his job at Big Green!! :D

Prof Young
June 28, 2012, 07:04 PM
Shooters:

I had a model seven chambered for 223. It was a gorgeous gun with a laminated stock. But I'd work the action and about 25% of the time the next bullet would hang up in the chamber. Finally sold it and bought a savage that has an ugly synthetic stock but the action works every time and it is a tack driver.

Live well, be safe.
Prof Young