PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a spare magazine

AdamSean
June 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
I once had a friend tell me I looked like I was ready for a shootout when seeing my EDC set-up. I was carrying a Glock 23, a flashlight, a pocket knife, and of course a spare magazine. The Glock 23 holds 13 rounds in the magazine so there are plenty of rounds to defend oneself from an attacker. So why would I need to carry another magazine? "Isn't that a bit overkill?", my friend asked me.

I have grown accustomed to carrying a spare magazine for any firearm I carry. Whether it is my Glock 23 or my new Beretta Nano. I don't carry the extra magazine for the extra rounds necessarily. For the Nano, yes, since it only holds 6 rounds, which really should be plenty to defend oneself, but the Glock 23 holds plenty. The real reason I carry a spare magazine is because magazines can actually fail, just like a gun can. I have actually had a magazine follower get stuck at the range before.

I don't know how many people actually think about this so I thought I would bring it up. Be smart and prepare for any problem. Train to clear jams and practice your reloads.

sigarms228
June 10, 2012, 10:45 PM
Was your friend a liberal or non gun owner per chance??

I was at home handling my Colt MT6700 AR15 one day and a none gun owner friend of my Wife's saw me with it (no I did NOT point it her way) and about had a heart attack just seeing it.

I can't CCW because I live in Illinois but I don't see any problem with carrying an extra magazine for the reasons you mentioned if it makes you feel more prepared.

RBid
June 10, 2012, 11:23 PM
I carry a spare mag for the same reason. The extra rounds are less likely to be critical than a second chance to keep the gun operating smoothly. Of course, spare rounds don't hurt.

TunnelRat
June 10, 2012, 11:23 PM
Certainly nothing wrong with carrying a spare. Never heard anyone that had to use a pistol for self defense say afterwards, "Man I wish I hadn't brought that extra mag".:cool:

Out of curiosity, do you use a mag holder or just put it in a pocket?

alanheaberlin
June 10, 2012, 11:36 PM
I sort of gear up for my itinerary. If I'm just going down to get the mail, my Bersa Thunder is quite adequate. If I'm going over to talk KingKong down off the Empire State Building, I'm taking my SIG.45 and an extra magazine too. You kind of gotta go with your gut unless you like carrying a lot of stuff around.

9mm
June 10, 2012, 11:45 PM
had a friend tell me I looked like I was ready for a shootout when seeing my EDC set-up.

My uncle carrys 6+1 PPS or something,

I showed my EDC of 2 spares + 2 reloads for revolver total of 59 rounds, he was like @_@, people would get you before you would run out. I was like no, not just for a self defence/end of world thing. What if my house burned down and all I had was these two guns $0 in my pocket? I am ready and very safe.

Carry what you want, I don't prepare for a shootout, I prepare if my house burns down/I am left on the streets with $0 to buy more ammo/magazines.

My Aunt thought it was smart about the losing of a house, you are prepared with a good amount of ammo.

Shootout would be like 10 magazines, an rifle/shotgun to go with it all.

I highly doubt I would need an extra magazine in a SD, but for reasons I don't know. Magazine failure, jam/idiot fumble pressing the release button in panic, house fire and no ammo for weeks till I get money etc... I carry spare reloads.

Just like I rarely let my gas tank get under half way. I refill once a week or twice.
:)

RBid
June 11, 2012, 12:20 AM
alan,

While there are certain neighborhoods where crime is more likely, you never know where or when violence will intrude. Many people opt to not carry at home, for example.

Here's a fun tidbit...

Beaverton, Oregon (a 'safe' suburb of Portland, Oregon) crime statistics, from 2009 --> Forecasted 2012 totals.

Aggravated Assault: 117 --> 149
Arson: 23 --> 7
Burglary: 226 --> 199
Forcible Rape: 23 --> 22
Larceny and Theft: 1230 --> 1042
Motor Vehicle Theft: 136 --> 135
Murder and Manslaughter: 2 --> 1
Robbery: 47 --> 45
Total violent crime: 189 --> 218

It is worth note that 218 equates to .59 violent crimes per day, in this suburb.

On average, 75% of the murders in Oregon happen outside of Portland. While Portland certainly has the highest incidence of any area in the state, that statistic shows that bad things can happen anywhere, at any time.

I'm not a paranoid, "It is going to happen to me" guy, but I am certainly aware that it could happen to me. I carry the same way everywhere, for the same reason that I always have a spare tire in my trunk.

Tactical Jackalope
June 11, 2012, 12:25 AM
Yes...always. Whether it's my Glock 19, SIG 226, 1911, or Glock 21. I have a spare mag on me when I CCW.

TunnelRat
June 11, 2012, 12:43 AM
Again I am really curious if you guys are putting your spares in a pocket or mag holder.

Tactical Jackalope
June 11, 2012, 12:48 AM
Pocket! Depends if I'm OWB or IWB mainly, but usually pocket. It's cleaned periodically though.

RBid
June 11, 2012, 12:49 AM
TunnelRat,

Neither. Sort of.

I use a Belly Band, around my waist, for my EDC holster. There is a slot in it for spare mags, so mine rides there (about 7 o'clock).

TunnelRat
June 11, 2012, 01:02 AM
Yea I do pockets right now myself. I've toyed with the idea of getting one of those concealed mag pouches from Crossbreed, but I really don't want another thing IWB (that and the cost). It'd likely mean a larger pant and I like to pretend I am as trim as I once was. ;)

zincwarrior
June 11, 2012, 06:33 AM
I have a spare mag for my Kimber Ultra Carry. 7 rounds is not enough for me, and frankly the spare mag helps balance the pistol on my belt.

Skans
June 11, 2012, 07:44 AM
I never carry an spare magazine....or extractors....or springs...or firing pins....or any other gun parts.

I pocket carry and feel that 8 rounds is enough for most any situation I might find myself in. With a good, well maintained factory magazine, I'm less concerned about my magazine failing than an extractor, firing pin or weak recoil spring. It's illogical to carry a spare mag because the one you are using might fail, yet not carry any other spare parts or armorer's tools.

Now, I suppose someone who has actual military experience will tell me that I'm all wet because they've experienced magazine failures in combat. My response to that is:
1. I'm not in combat - just pocket-carrying a small 9mm for personal protection from some thug(s) who might actually try to harm me; and
2. I carry a Ruger LC9, not some beat-ta-heck "it's good enough for government" M16 that uses aluminum magazines.....no worries here.:D

mes228
June 11, 2012, 08:25 AM
I also carry a Glock 23. However I stoke it with Glock 22 magazines and a "plastic collar" that fills the small gap where it extends from the grip. This gives you a 16 round .40 caliber the size of a Model 19 9mm. I also carry a spare mag and feel naked with out it. The longer I carry, the more I like capacity. I would not even remotely consider a five or six round carry gun if I have a choice. I do own revolvers and like them a lot. But consider them my woods carry guns (and seldom even that).

9mm
June 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
I use a magazine pouch, I put it in my pocket once, but its a tight fit for both magazines.

ScotchMan
June 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
I carry a spare 75% of the time. If I am carrying my preferred 10+1 9mm, I might leave it at home if I don't have room. If I am carrying less (like my 6+1 PPS), I always have the mag.

I carry the mag in my pocket in a DeSantis Mag-Packer (amazing product). I have tried mag carriers on my belt before, but they are always very uncomfortable, a lot more so than the gun itself.

Grant D
June 11, 2012, 10:07 AM
When I carry my LC9 or LCP I carry a extra magazine. I also carry a speed strip when I carry my S&W model 37 snubnose. I always turn my pockets inside out when they're washed to keep the lint problem down.

ClydeFrog
June 11, 2012, 10:20 AM
Your first post makes a lot of sense to me. ;)
To carry 1 or 2 spare magazines or a well made BUG(back up gun)/second gun with a whitelight & a small folder are right on the $.
You may get a strange look or a Inspector Gadget comment but I'd rather be ready to "get down" if the need arises.
Also, with some defense-carry gear, you might need to assist in a vehicle accident or building fire. Having a small sharp knife/EMT tool or a flashlight can help.

Clyde

meanmachine1961
June 12, 2012, 09:15 AM
I always carry a spare mag in a leatherman multitool pouch clipped to my belt.

Nanuk
June 12, 2012, 10:10 AM
I always carry a spare. If you have the rounds available you will use them in a fight.

I never carry an spare magazine....or extractors....or springs...or firing pins....or any other gun parts.

I pocket carry and feel that 8 rounds is enough for most any situation I might find myself in. With a good, well maintained factory magazine, I'm less concerned about my magazine failing than an extractor, firing pin or weak recoil spring. It's illogical to carry a spare mag because the one you are using might fail, yet not carry any other spare parts or armorer's tools.

Now, I suppose someone who has actual military experience will tell me that I'm all wet because they've experienced magazine failures in combat. My response to that is:
1. I'm not in combat - just pocket-carrying a small 9mm for personal protection from some thug(s) who might actually try to harm me; and
2. I carry a Ruger LC9, not some beat-ta-heck "it's good enough for government" M16 that uses aluminum magazines.....no worries here.

Skans,

You are living in a fantasy world and I hope you never get hurt because of it. If you are face down in the parking lot getting the crap kicked out of you by three thugs - you are in combat.

Glenn E. Meyer
June 12, 2012, 10:17 AM
The extra mag is for:

1. Some equipment failure which suggests a new mag reload.
2. The attack is more intense than the single mugger be gone.

For instance, Trolley Square or Columbine (school cop). The good guys were out of ammo. Or see Given's reports of some defensive shootings that went to higher round counts.

Thus, if you don't carry extras - you are playing the odds you don't need more. This is probably true as most DGUs have NO shots fired.

You need to decide at what cut off in the distribution of incident intense you want to prepare for. One could stalk around in full gear and 6 30 round mags for your AR. Legal in some places.

I opine that an extra reload is a nice place in the risk continuum. Kind of like the .05 level decision in stat class.

As far as carry - I find that if I carry a semi on my belt (usually a Galco matrix) - I can carry an extra mag on the other side in a similar Galco holster.

Thus, we have gone through this endlessly before. An extra reload isn't nut and sensible. Quoting just the mean of the shots fired distribution isn't statistically sophisticated.

xLPlushy
June 12, 2012, 11:46 AM
Always carry a reload or 2. My G22 is stocked with 15+1 of Hornady's 165gr Critical Defense and the spare mags are loaded with Remington 180gr JHP's. I carry the spare either in my pocket with my wallet and flashlight or in a OWB mag carrier or both. My reasoning is that the stocked mag may fail on me, or the fact that there have been a lot of bears wandering about so the high round count is nice, and if I'm on the farm I don't want to use the expensive Hornady ammo to dispatch woodchucks, thus why the spares are loaded with the cheaper and less reliable Remington JHP's.
Just my $0.02

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone

KMAX
June 12, 2012, 12:12 PM
I carry only one gun at a time usually, either a j-frame 38Sp or LCP. I always carry my spare mag for the LCP and usually a speed strip for the j-frame. The extra ammo takes up little room in my pocket and makes me feel a little more secure with the low capacity of either gun. Also the stopping power of either gun is questionable by some standards. I am not afraid of having too much ammo! Also I always carry a pocket knife, more as a tool than a weapon, but it is a spring assisted knife (not a switchblade) so it could be used as a weapon if necessary.

Consort
June 12, 2012, 12:28 PM
I ccw a PPS iwb and an extra 7 rd magazine in a nylon belt sheath that originally contained a Leatherman multi-tool. The sheath keeps the magazine clean and covered and I have found it to not draw a whole lot of attention.

Superhouse 15
June 12, 2012, 12:57 PM
I switch between a Glock 19, a 1911, a Browning HP, and a P7M8 depending on my mood. All are carried IWB, with a mag pouch OWB on the other side. I also pocket carry an ancient Kel Tec .32 in my back pocket with no spare mag. Occasionally I will carry a revolver OWB, mostly a Smith 610 exposed when working at the gunshop. I usually carry two spare moon clips right in front of the holster in a speedloader pouch.

As the saying goes, nobody ever wished for a smaller gun and less ammo in a gunfight.

Straightshooter629
June 12, 2012, 09:09 PM
My carry weapon is either a Rossi 462 or a XD40 Service. In either case, I always carry two reloads...either two speed strips for the revolver or two spare mags for the XD. I carry the speed strips in a Bianchi pouch and the mags in a Elpaso dual mag holder. My father's favorite saying was "it is better to have it and not need it rather than to need it and not have it".

fivepaknh
June 13, 2012, 05:15 AM
I usually do carry a spare mag, but it's more of an OCD thing. I feel balanced. Since it's statistically unlikely I'll need my gun in the first place, the odds are even slimmer based on actual DGU that I'll need extra ammo or have time to change mags in the event of a failure.

Mello2u
June 13, 2012, 02:21 PM
I prefer to carry an extra magazine and a flashlight.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/farwalker/P1010978-1.jpg
In the past when I have posted this pic, someone has asked where I purchased it. It is available from dillonprecision.com.