PDA

View Full Version : HK USP

FrosSsT
June 9, 2012, 09:29 PM
I am looking into buying one and just wanted to know (for those of you who own one or have experience with one) what you guys think about them

loose_holster_dan
June 9, 2012, 09:35 PM
if you haven't yet, shoot one. if you like it, go for it. it's a great gun, but about half of the people who shoot it don't like the feel. the other half love it. i was very surprised to find myself in the half that didn't like it. usually the half that doesn't like it, does like the sig p226.

fasteddie565
June 9, 2012, 10:20 PM
I wanted one for a while and finally bought one. I have decided that I do not like the DA / SA pistols, despite their reliability etc. Second, most of the accessories are proprietary (The Rail for one). Lastly, it is a BIG gun, yet it gives me nothing that my M&P in 45, G 21 or even my Kimber TLE II with 10 rounders does not provide in a much smaller package. Magazines were not exactly cheap IIRC.

I agree with LHD, shoot one first, research the accessories you may want before you buy it.

insaneranger
June 9, 2012, 10:41 PM
I have a USP 45 & love mine, but like others said, try it out if possible or at least hold one. It has a fairly large grip and the mags can be expensive depending on which caliber you get. USP 45 mags run $50-$60 each new & around $40 used. On a very positive note, the dual recoil system makes the .45 acp feel like your shooting a 9mm +p. They're extremely well built, are more accurate than me, and are 100% reliable. Common...you know you want one! :D

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/garyl_t/001-40.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/garyl_t/002-38.jpg

IMightBeWrong
June 9, 2012, 10:50 PM
I don't care for the grip or controls at all, but it's well made for sure. I prefer the newer P30 and HK45 pistols which are very close relatives but much nicer in the hand. I also very much like Walther pistols for good striker fired alternatives of very similar quality.

BarryLee
June 9, 2012, 11:00 PM
I own a full-size USP 40 and really like the gun, but the issues already pointed out are probably accurate. Not certain I would buy one in 9mm, but feel it is an excellent platform for .40 & .45 caliber. The gun is well built and handles the larger caliber rounds with no problem. I frequently put 100 to 200 rounds through mine and find it enjoyable to shoot. I will add that my primary and secondary guns are both SIGs if that adds anything to the discussion.

willmc33
June 9, 2012, 11:01 PM
I owned a USP full size .40S&W and I have to say I did not like it. I did not like how it shot, I didnt like how it handled, I didnt care for the trigger. It was very inconsistent with its grouping. I didnt understand what all the hype was about after buying and trying one. It was reliable though. I got rid of it and took my business to Sig Sauer and havent regretted it.

comn-cents
June 9, 2012, 11:08 PM
I've owned a few and still own 2 that are my favorite guns, shoot great, great triggers and no failures of any kind. Accurace is some of the best I've ever exerienced.

TunnelRat
June 10, 2012, 12:16 AM
if you like it, go for it. it's a great gun, but about half of the people who shoot it don't like the feel.

A good reason to go with one of their more modern designs. I personally love the P2000, others like the P30, etc.

I did not like how it shot, I didnt like how it handled, I didnt care for the trigger. It was very inconsistent with its grouping.

I can certainly see how folks don't like the triggers. Again, IMO the newer designs, with the exception of the HK45, have very nice triggers.

Blaming inconsistent groupings on a gun? :rolleyes: Did you bench rest it? Did you send it to the factory for repair? Or did you simply not do well with it and blame it on the gun? This logic applies to any manufacturer. Most manufacturers will bend over backwards to fix something if there is a real problem.

willmc33
June 10, 2012, 02:34 AM
Tunnelrat I bought it used but yes I am blaming it on the gun. Lol. It could have been that trigger but I could set that HK down and pick up either of my Sigs or my 4506 and eat out the X ring. I wasnt new to it either I fired it ALOT but it just didnt group tight and rounds would hit different areas at random. My targets kind of looked like I shot a 3" 00 Buck instead of a pistol. My other 3 werent like that at all. Maybe HK and me dont mesh, like Kahr and Ruger.

PSP
June 10, 2012, 09:10 AM
I really enjoy shooting my USP 9. I like the controls and overall size, as this gun fits my hand very well. It is certainly one of my softest shooting pistols. I compare it with my heavier Beretta 92 in recoil. I have a '08 USP and a '97 USPc and these are two of my all time favorite pistols. A great gun... world class quality.

You may be able to find a good deal on a used pistol, as I did. There are usually a good number available on-line. I've been able to find three of my HKs in a local gun store for excellent prices.

CDNN sells mags for a good price.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/hkusp9mm15ma.html

ragwd
June 10, 2012, 09:13 AM
I really like my USP 45C. Its been 100% reliable. I have been thinking of buying another just like it.

TunnelRat
June 10, 2012, 09:15 AM
Maybe HK and me dont mesh, like Kahr and Ruger.

And that's fair enough. I owned all SIG before I went HK. It took me a bit to transition. They're the same mechanism but slightly different in handling, enough to throw me off at least. I have no problem with people not liking a brand, but labeling something as inconsistent just because you didn't do well with it is a little immature. And again if there was an actual problem with the gun, not even trying to get it fixed but calling it broken is also immature.

It was very inconsistent with its grouping.

To me this should read, "I was very inconsistent with it, which wasn't a problem with my other guns". The gun can't shoot itself.

It seems to me a lot of people buy a HK expecting a laser cannon that will hit the bullseye every time. They're accurate, but more accurate than other brands? To be honest, not really. I shoot them just a well as my SIGs, but not any better. Just because you spend $800 doesn't mean the gun is twice as good as a $400 gun. This same logic applies to pretty much any product out there. A $60000 car is not necessarily twice as good performance wise as a $30000 car. To some people it will be worth it, to some it won't. For me HK is the only brand I have never had an issue with, including SIG, and they're lightweight and fit my hand well. That's enough for me.

Also keep this in mind: the USP design is nearly 20 years old. Since then they've produced the P2000 and the P30. Why people choose to get a USP when the others are more refined is beyond me, unless it's for price. The P2000 has been out since 2001, the P30 since 2006. That's enough years to establish a good track record, which they have.

My advice? There are tons of used HKs out there for ~$600. They shoot just as well as new ones and in many cases have triggers that are broken in. I got a '04 P2000 with night sights, holster, and all original equipment for $625 from gunbroker. The thing looks brand new and shoots beautifully. Let someone else absorb the "brand new" cost.

Tactical Jackalope
June 10, 2012, 09:28 AM
Love my HK USP .40 I wish it was a 9mm though...I'd like it more.

I like my SIG better :)

ScotchMan
June 10, 2012, 10:39 AM
+1 on checking out HK's newer models. They are all based off the USP and feature some improvements. P30 would be my recommendation for a 9mm, but the P2000 might carry better.

insaneranger
June 10, 2012, 10:40 AM
I agree with some other posts about accuracy. You absolutely can't blame the pistol. USP's are some of the most accurate pistols in the world because of the polygonal barrel design. Some shooters just don't shoot as well with some guns & might shoot better with another. The HK Mark 23, built for US Special Forces, is probably the most accurate out of the box handgun ever built. I've seen videos of guys shooting through the same bullet holes at 50 yards with them. No one could ever seriously say that HK's aren't well built. They're just not built for everyone.

willmc33
June 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
Not immature just wasnt worth the time or more money spent on it either way. It didnt shoot well so I moved on to pistols that did. Thats immature or my right as a consumer? Dont expect a laser cannon but I do expect a $700.00 gun to shoot well when I can shoot a 20 year old pistol that didnt cost me a thing and it does. I didnt have the problem with either of the Sigs or any other gun I owned so yes to me it was that pistol.

Bentonville
June 10, 2012, 02:58 PM
i have owned the USP.45 full size, USP Tactical .45, USP .45 compact, and USP 40. I owned some of them for years and never ever had one problem of any description. I finally sold them because the grip size was not a good fit for my smallish hands. I got the HK45C and believe it to be the best polymer .45 for me. The ergonomics fit me to a "T". Accuracy and reliability are above reproach. It's the softest shooting .45 I have fired other than the HK P9S. Every reason you can think of that makes a gun " good" would fit this pistol, in my opinion, including concealeability. Ymmv.

Coltman 77
June 10, 2012, 04:07 PM
I've been very pleased with the accuracy and total reliability of my USP 45C.

It's devoured several thousand rds. of assorted fmj and jhp ammo without a hiccup.

As others have suggested, the USP is rather thick if you have small hands, so you might want to check out the HK 45 and P30 too.

Good luck. Let us know what you buy. :)

FairWarning
June 10, 2012, 06:13 PM
I have great admiration for the HK USP and my only reservation is the .45 version being larger than a M1 TANK! It's a fantastic range/zombie sidearm, but not something most would enjoy attempting to conceal if that matters at all to you.

Used, they represent fantastic values also, which is why I'll probably pick one up as the flesh eating zombies have been getting restless lately.

BGutzman
June 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
Its a great gun.. Far superior to any Glock.

Micahweeks
June 10, 2012, 08:34 PM
It is a gun that fits me well. I've always had an inherently easier time shooting fast and grouping tight with the USP over Sig. Like others have said, most that dislike one prefer the other. I'm in the HK camp. Mechanically, it's an amazing gun. You just have to see if you can mesh with it. I also shoot Glocks well. Sig just never felt right for me, except their 1911s. But, they are quality firearms along with HK.

Tactical Jackalope
June 11, 2012, 12:28 AM

Calm down..No need to always bash away. We're talking about Hk here...Relax brother..We are all very well aware how you feel, you mention your hate for Glocks in every post ever done by you. Might as well make it your signature.

TunnelRat
June 11, 2012, 12:39 AM

To me that's a stretch. Glocks are reliable, accurate, and fast shooting. All this for half the price of HK and an aftermarket that probably is unmatched by any other company. I like my HKs more yes, but Glock is a better value to be fair.

Tactical Jackalope
June 11, 2012, 12:47 AM
I like my HKs more yes, but Glock is a better value to be fair.

Yes! I agree...and I like my SIG's more...lol But when credit is due, credit is due.

Everything else you said is right to...You..TunnelRat!

BGutzman
June 11, 2012, 05:47 PM
Calm down..No need to always bash away.

Point taken -:o

Tactical Jackalope
June 11, 2012, 08:25 PM
Point taken -:o

Lmao...I have no recollection of writing that. Well, not all of that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

HKGuns
June 12, 2012, 10:07 PM
Never a hiccup with mine. Highly recommended.

Kermit
June 12, 2012, 10:12 PM
I've owned several, still own 3 with almost 100,000 rounds through them - recommend them with no reservation

Hiker 1
June 12, 2012, 11:27 PM
There are some great deals out there on police trade-in USPs if you want to save some $$$. I got my USP .45 for $580 out the door.

It is a great gun. The only beef I have is that due to its high profile, I find it easy to limp-wrist when I shoot one-handed. The limp-wristing can and will cause a malfunction.

Since I practice one-handed, strong and weak side, I feel like I need to have a death-grip on it. That's my only gripe.

No issues at all shooting two-handed.

fivepaknh
June 13, 2012, 04:50 AM
$450 for this police trade in plus $85 to have it refinished. I love this gun. No regrets.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/fivepaknh/guns/HKUSP45c.png

PSP
June 13, 2012, 06:48 AM
There are some great deals out there! $400 for this 2008 USP9 that I bought two years ago. A great gun. ;)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Heckler%20Koch/HKUSP9012.jpg

Hiker 1
June 13, 2012, 11:34 AM
^ that is a great deal! I would get one at that price just for kicks.

fivepaknh
June 13, 2012, 12:26 PM
^ that is a great deal! I would get one at that price just for kicks.

No kidding. And I thought I received a good deal.

mnhntr
June 14, 2012, 07:32 PM
I have a USPc in 357 sig and one in 45 and love them both

Jason_G
June 15, 2012, 03:36 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/itsthewhitmans/jason/USP2-1.jpg

Great pistols. Built like a tank. Mechanical accuracy is excellent out of the box. Unfortunately, I can't shoot it as well as some others though, because of the grip circumference. I can still do well with it, but I have to consciously think about my trigger pull and hand position, and make sure the trigger comes straight back. Slows things down a bit for me. Some folks with bigger hands would probably find it more instinctual to shoot than I do.

One of the few "cons" I can think of besides the grip being large (and mine is a .45- the 9mm and .40 would be a little smaller), is the trigger pull in DA mode for those versions that are DA/SA. The DA pull is long-winded as hell, and heavy at that. H&K could use a lesson from Sig and some others on the DA side of DA/SA triggers. The SA pull is pretty good. Not nicely tuned 1911 good, but good. Kind of a long reset, but it's consistent and easy to learn the trigger. The take-up and break are very predictable.

Another thing that may or may not be an issue for you is the location of the control lever and the type of mag release used. The control lever is a nuisance for someone used to the 1911 platform, because if you ride your thumb on the safety, as most folks do with the 1911, you could move the lever down enough to partly engage the decocker and prevent the weapon from firing when you squeeze the trigger. Some heavy-handed folks also complain about accidentally decocking the weapon when trying to swipe the safety off. I've never gotten my head around that one, as there's an audible and tactile "CLICK" that's there between "fire" and "decock," and it really takes a deliberate action to go far enough with the lever to actually decock the hammer, but evidently it is an issue for at least some folks.

The mag release is weird for folks that are used to a push-button style release (which is probably most of us). You have to press a lever down in order to release the mag. And you can't really reach it with your thumb. The best way I found to do it is with the middle finger of my strong hand. It's actually very fast, and changes the shooting grip far less than the thumb method, but it could be a huge issue for someone that has the "thumb-button-press" action ingrained into their muscle memory.

All-in-all, I prefer the 1911 to be honest, but as far as polymer pistols go, I think the USP is an excellent option. Especially if, like me, you are not big on striker-fired pistols.

As with anything that is a matter of opinion, YMMV.

Jason

C.O.M.
June 16, 2012, 02:32 PM
I have the USP .40 and it has been very reliable so far. I have only had it for a little over a month, and have put 750 rounds through with no failures of any type. The gun is also very accurate. I will have to admit it is not the most natural in my hand, gun that I own. The others feel more natural in my hand, but this is such a rock solid well made gun, I am glad I have one in my collection.

Tony615
June 16, 2012, 03:54 PM
I really like how HK USP 40 shoots as it does not have a lot of recoil I can make quick follow up shots. I bought it back in 2006 and typically shoot between 50-100 rounds when I go to the gun range every couple of weeks.

Justice06RR
June 18, 2012, 11:16 PM
Jason, thank you for the good unbiased opinion. I might be getting a HK USP40 this week.

I've handled it a few times at the range but have not shot it. I do like DA/SA triggers and the USP felt like it had a good trigger when I dry fired them. The controls are a bit weird as you said from other traditional controls, but not something I can't get used to with enough training.

I've always wanted an HK so I think i'll eventually get it anyway. Its a good looking pistol too if I may say.

C.O.M.
June 18, 2012, 11:43 PM
I put 100 through my USP .40 today. I shoot that thing better every time I take it out, which a lot.

Jason_G
June 19, 2012, 03:09 PM
Jason, thank you for the good unbiased opinion. I might be getting a HK USP40 this week.

I've handled it a few times at the range but have not shot it. I do like DA/SA triggers and the USP felt like it had a good trigger when I dry fired them. The controls are a bit weird as you said from other traditional controls, but not something I can't get used to with enough training.

I've always wanted an HK so I think i'll eventually get it anyway. Its a good looking pistol too if I may say.

No problem. They are excellent pistols. The manual of arms is easy to learn. Like I said, there are just a few quirks. It took me a while to realize that my thumb needed to go under the control lever instead of on it. I had an easy time adjusting to the mag release, though. If you don't have a prior manual of arms to unlearn, you'll probably take to it like a duck to water.

Jason