PDA

View Full Version : Took the new Glock 19 to the range..

Tactical Jackalope
June 3, 2012, 09:15 PM
Added Trijicon night sights..
First thing I did.. not trying to be cocky or anything, but I'm a good shot. With all my guns..even the ones new out of the box.

However, this one? I was shooting low and more to the left.

Now I mentioned the sights because I didn't have a gunsmith put them on. My friend did.

Be honest. Could it be me? Or sights? Trigger any different on a Gen 4? I don't know... anyways.

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6937b15-19f3-72c4.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6937b15-1a0e-38b9.jpg

Can't tell from the pics. Phone isn't great at close ups... but the rear sight is a little more to the left than the right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Noreaster
June 3, 2012, 09:23 PM
Sorry to hear it's not shooting POA. Hopefully you'll be able to correct it. Fine looking gun though. How did it shoot. Any problems. I've heard the Gen 4 9mms had some issues early on. Keep shooting and let us know!

Tactical Jackalope
June 3, 2012, 09:53 PM
Thank you sir! Shot 100rounds. Completely swift like all my Glocks have been. 200 more rounds Thursday. I'm taking the gun to the Smith early morning then range right after. I'll see what happens with that. Usually I'm point on. :/

rebs
June 4, 2012, 05:23 AM
but the rear sight is a little more to the left than the right.

The rear sight being to the left will cause the gun to shoot to the left, that part sounds like you need a sight adjustment. However the gun shooting low would indicate thew front sight has to be lowered if possible, or you may have to change your sight picture by holding a little high.

Tactical Jackalope
June 4, 2012, 05:46 AM
Thank you rebs! That makes sense. The rear sight needs to be adjusted and I can definitely have that done. As for the front sight... :/ that's that. It stays that way...

My Glock 21 has even bigger sights And it's point on.

What do you mean exactly by change my sight picture? Aim higher? Like way higher?

Appreciate your help. This was bought to be my new main carry. I'm supposed to be confident with my main carry! :eek:

Crow Hunter
June 4, 2012, 06:37 AM
Do you shoot right handed or left handed?

If you shoot right handed, you may be "biceping" the trigger by having too much finger in the trigger guard. Particularly if you are coming from shooting a G21.

Before you adjust the sights, put the large grip insert in, and see if it changes anything.

AK103K
June 4, 2012, 06:57 AM
If you think the rear sight is a little left, Id try moving it right first and see how that goes.

When you say it was shooting low, how much low? All the three dots I have, shoot to the "dot", and not the top of the blade with a traditional target alignemt. Try putting the front dot (with the dots aligned) where you want the bullet to go, and see what happens.

Tactical Jackalope
June 4, 2012, 06:58 AM
The reference to the G21 was for the front sight...

I'm righty. Not the trigger finger having too much on the trigger though lol. Thanks.

Been exclusively shooting a lot of 9mm lately. Financially better. ;) point on with the 26 and the 34. This darn 19 is getting under my skin!

voyager4520
June 4, 2012, 08:37 AM
Gen4's do have a "different" trigger. There's a bump on the arm of the trigger bar which engages the firing pin safety, that bump adds like half a pound of trigger pull weight. Glock has a new connector for Gen4's that will bring the trigger pull weight down to about the same as a Gen3 would have with the standard connector. Early Gen4's had the standard connector, more recent Gen4's have the "dot" connector.

In the picture below you'll see two red arrows pointing to a - symbol on the "minus" connector. A Gen4 "dot" connector would instead have a dot marking there, and a standard connector would have no marking.
http://oi53.tinypic.com/2mhdgzc.jpg

glockparts.com is the only place that sells the "dot" connectors at the moment. When you order one from them, you have to put the three-letter serial number prefix of your Gen4 in the "Notes" section when you place your order or they won't be able to send you one.

You could use a Gen3 trigger bar and that should make the trigger pull feel the same as a Gen3 without having to change the connector if you have the standard connector. Either the Gen3 17/22 trigger bar with smooth trigger pad or the Gen3 19/23 trigger bar with serrated trigger pad. But if you change the trigger bar it's a good idea to use an Armorer's Orange Half Slide Cover Plate to check the engagement between the firing pin lug and trigger bar tab to ensure that at least 2/3 of the trigger bar tab is covered up by the firing pin lug with the slide forward and the trigger forward. Here's a diagram showing that:
http://home.citizenofdreams.com/gt/engagement.png

Crow Hunter
June 4, 2012, 09:04 AM
This darn 19 is getting under my skin!

It could be the gun.

I had one a while ago (M serial number prefix), that was a lemon. This is from around 2008 I think, way before the current, "Troubles".

It shot a good 4-5 inches to the left at 15 yards and threw brass at my forehead and even to the left of the gun.

Sometimes crap happens.

If it is only shooting a little to the left and your sight is over to the left, I would definitely drift it back to the right a little and see if that corrects it.

You should check to make sure that you have the correct rear sight from Trijicon. I had a set that I got one time for a G21 that was too short, I sent them the slide and they swapped it out for me, free of charge.

If I am not mistaken, there are little notches cut on the side either none, 1 or 2. They correspond to the heights. There should be some info on Trijicons site that will tell you which one you are supposed to have based on caliber/bullet weight.

Oldjarhead
June 4, 2012, 09:10 AM
When I bought my new Gen 4 m19 a few months ago, I purchased Truglo green fiber optic sights. The gun store then took the pistol and the sights to a back room, installed them,.and zeroed the sights using a special tool, that last four letters was "meter." Maybe some expert reading this will know. Anyway the pistol shoots dead on.

jfrey
June 4, 2012, 10:38 AM
Shooting left or right can be fixed by drifting the rear sight. Shooting low could be caused by dipping your front sight just before the shot breaks. This could be caused by the different grip from the G21. Concentrate on your grip and trigger pull and see what happens. Most new Glock shooters have the same problem, especially if they shoot 1911's before hand. Keep shooting and things will improve.

Mystro
June 4, 2012, 09:14 PM
I have and still own a lot of Glock guns over the years and I had a G27 that did the same thing with all ammo. I got tire of playing around with it and flipped it. Pretty sad when a g29 can poa but a g27 cant. Recent Glcks have been a crap shoot for me. I moved on to other brands.

Tactical Jackalope
June 5, 2012, 09:49 AM
Voyager! Good call..I'm in the safe zone..just checked mine out now. It has the "dot" connector on it. Thank you for that peace of mind at least!

Crow Hunter, thanks brother. I'll check that out too. I might head to the shop now to have it put on better. Hope they don't charge me :P

Old Jar Head, Anyway the pistol shoots dead on. That's how I usually am with all my Glocks. Promise! I'll ask also about them zeroing it in for me.

jfrey, lol thanks...not me this time. As I stated. I'm coming from all different Glocks. see the signature. I'm mentioning the G21 cause of the sights on it being similar and not having an issue with them. thank you though!

mystro, that sucks man..sorry to hear that. This one is fine though. And all brands have lemons here and there.

9mm
June 5, 2012, 01:04 PM
My Glocks shoot spot on, I never added NS because I thought they would screw up shooting. I had a friend who had them on and his was off. I can punch a baseball group 7+yards with my 19 same with my 26!

Glocks triggers are great and fine, I had a LC9 which I shot basket ball groups on a target at 7 yards. I shoot best with SA. DA/DAO I really suck. Now my LCR-22 holds great groups of baseballs @ 7 yards. I think its just the jerk of the small frame I am scared and flinch..?

Tactical Jackalope
June 5, 2012, 02:20 PM
9mm ! I agree with you! lol Same with my 27/26

why not the 19?!?!

Going to take it Thursday right before the range...this can't be.

Mrgunsngear
June 5, 2012, 02:58 PM
Tons of people new to Glock shoot them low/left but if you shoot your other ones POA, it's got to be the gun. Glock triggers are almost all the same...

Tactical Jackalope
June 5, 2012, 03:22 PM
Tons of people new to Glock shoot them low/left but if you shoot your other ones POA, it's got to be the gun. Glock triggers are almost all the same...

Completely agree with you. I shoot mainly my Glocks lately. Never, not even when I first got my second gen G22 have I ever shot that bad with a Glock.

The 26/27 is also a baseball group or tighter @ 7 yards. I figured a 19 at the same distance would yield the same results. Must be the gun. Honest to God..

I really am anxious to find out with a gunsmith asap. I'm hard on myself a lot of the time. Especially at 7 yards!:eek:

9mm
June 5, 2012, 08:01 PM
It's your sights, because before I sold my LC9 I sucked at shooting it(EVEN WITH A LAZER), and my LCP I shoot crappy also, it shoots 5 inches low @ 7yards and my revolver I am bad aim with it also. I notice it was DAO/DA triggers. Glocks/92fs/Sig P238 all shoot point of aim for me.:)

Though my LCR-22 holds baseball groups @ 7 yards, I think its just the reflex of firing I jolt back on my hand. The LCR is nice because I can hold it before the break.

I post some pictures tomorrow after the range of my lcr22 at 7 yards and sigp238 good groups I get.

I remember shooting a 38 Taurus at the rental range once(first handgun fired), @ 7 yards I have no idea where my shots went. I remember very few holes in the target out of a box of 50. lol

Tactical Jackalope
June 8, 2012, 03:35 PM
9mm! & others who are following. Just got back from the range for my official range report after it was fixed :) perfect news..

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6937b1d-61a9-6563.jpg

150rds fired. 149 in the black and 1 in the beige. The one that missed was an accidental double tap.

What fixed it? My uncle adjusted the sights for me and did a phenomenal trigger job. It's at 2.5lbs and yes, that's the way I like to carry it. :) lol.

eldorendo
June 8, 2012, 04:50 PM
So, that's @ 50 yds?? :D Glad you got it resolved. I shoot a G26 and G17. My next firearm will be a G19, if I can find a deal on one ftf, l.n. I stopped buying new Glocks years ago! ;)

Tactical Jackalope
June 8, 2012, 08:20 PM
So, that's @ 50 yds?? :D Glad you got it resolved. I shoot a G26 and G17. My next firearm will be a G19, if I can find a deal on one ftf, l.n. I stopped buying new Glocks years ago! ;)

Lmao. Lets not dream too big!

Yeah? Get that. 19 you'll love it. :)