PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 sps

pwrstrkd
May 30, 2012, 04:28 PM
What is the difference in the sps line of 700's and how do they compare to the other versions of the 700's? Is there a quality difference? If planning to change out the stock is it worth getting the more expensive models?

jmr40
May 30, 2012, 05:11 PM
Any aftermarket stock made for a BDL will fit the SPS. Other than the level of finish there isn't any mechanical difference. I don't care for high gloss flashy guns anyway and rarely leave a gun stock. I'd just as soon have the plain gun and save the money. The stock is going to get taken off whether it is fancy walnut or cheap tupperware and replaced with a quality aftermrket stock anyway. The only advanage of buying a gun with the better stock is that they can often be sold to offset the cost of an aftermarket stock. A gunsmith will go over everything and smooth up as needed anyway so any imperfections in the cheaper gun will be corrected anyway.

Rimfire5
May 30, 2012, 05:37 PM
I decided to replace the stock on my SPS with a Bell and Carlson Medalist because it was pillar bedded and supposedly stiffer than the SPS factory tupperware.

I am not sorry that I did.
The stock fit perfectly and improved the accuracy at 100 yards for my .22-250 by 0.15 inches.

A new Timney trigger improved the accuracy another 0.15 inches.

How accurate is it?
Last Saturday, I shot 4 different 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip hand loads with 4 groups each. My .22-250 has a 1"14 twist so it really likes bullet weights under 55 grains and favors the lighter bullets, especially ones with high BCs like Noslers and Bergers.
The overall average for the 16 groups was 0.373 inches at 100 yards.
The best load among them averaged 0.268 for its 4 groups.
That was the best day I have ever had with the SPS and it proved just how accurate a Remington 700 can be.
Of course, the trigger and the stock are no longer Remington, but the bolt and barrel are still Model 700.

I really am happy with that Bell and Carlson stock.

Regolith
May 30, 2012, 07:30 PM
Main difference between an SPS and a higher-grade Remington is a flat matte finish that's rather rough, and a crappy injection molded stock.

I have one with the unadjustable X-Mark Pro trigger in .30-06 that has a pull of around 4-5 lbs. I get about 2-3MOA on average with cheapo Remington Core-Lokt and Hornady Interlock 165 gr. loads, which is plenty good enough for hunting. I'd imagine if I found a load it likes and replaced the trigger and stock I could get it down to 1moa.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Koloblicin/Knives%20and%20Guns/Rem700_3006.jpg

warbirdlover
May 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
I bought a .270 SPS Buckmasters last year and put a NIkon 3-9 X 40 ProStaff scope on it with the BDC recticle. Absolutely a tackhammer right out of the box and the new trigger adjusted down to 3 lbs. and is smooth as silk. First groups shot with cheapo Remington and Winchester 130 gr. were well under an inch most of the time. The example target was not one of my best groups. The bolt works smooth and it's (IMHO) very well made. And I actually like the black finish, especially on the bolt. (I hate jeweled bolts).

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81707&stc=1&d=1338424656

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81708&stc=1&d=1338425011

fatwhiteboy
May 30, 2012, 11:18 PM
I have had the best results in my .270 using Remington Corelokt ammo. I reload and tried several different bullets and powders. I got the best results with the Corelokt...

Saltydog235
May 31, 2012, 06:58 AM
Stock SPS Varmint
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu294/saltydog235/Hunting%20And%20Fishing/101_0055.jpg

After modifications
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu294/saltydog235/Hunting%20And%20Fishing/IMG_20120303_101027.jpg

If I buy another SPS gun its going to have to be a steal. The factory stock and the Xpro trigger are just plain ole crap. The beauty of the 700 platform though is the wealth of aftermarket products available to build one the way you want it.

AllenJ
May 31, 2012, 08:50 AM
Is there a quality difference? If planning to change out the stock is it worth getting the more expensive models?

The quality difference is a cheap stock and metal finish. My son picked one up last year and we're getting MOA accuracy with it right out of the box. It's a great platform to start with in my opinion and aftermarket parts are readily available.

bigalshootmupper
May 31, 2012, 08:46 PM
Saltydog, I didn't think the SPS Varmint came with the X-Mark Pro trigger. The X-Mark Pro trigger is a great trigger.

Lloyd Smale
June 1, 2012, 06:09 AM
Ive got two. Both have been semi customized. the stainless 300 win mag has been put in a lss stock and was bedded and floated and does moa with loads it likes. the 06 was a matte blued gun that i put in a cdl stock bedded and floated it and its proably the most accurate sproter weight gun ive ever owned. It does 1/2 for 5 shots with cheap bulk ww 150 grain power points. Point is mechanicaly there every bit as good as any rem.

Saltydog235
June 1, 2012, 06:23 AM
Saltydog, I didn't think the SPS Varmint came with the X-Mark Pro trigger. The X-Mark Pro trigger is a great trigger.

Mine had the X Pro in it. Listed the X Pro in the manual too. The X Pro is not a great trigger, its not even good, it adequate at best. Mine now wears a Timney and there is absolutely no comparison in the two, not even close.

Colorado Redneck
June 1, 2012, 09:34 PM
The stock trigger was not an "adjustable" trigger, although there are web pages that instruct how to adjust the 700 trigger. Fiddled around till one of the hex head screws was stripped. figgered to heck with it and ordered a Timney. Great people at Timney and a great trigger.

This SPS doesn't feed the cartridge well. Hacks me off, but I treat the thing like a spoiled kid and shoot it single shot and push the shell into the chamber with my index finger. :rolleyes:

The rifle is shooting like a pedigreed firearm now. Other than those two issues it is a fine shooter.

2ndtimer
June 1, 2012, 09:43 PM
Mine had the X Pro in it. Listed the X Pro in the manual too. The X Pro is not a great trigger, its not even good, it adequate at best. Mine now wears a Timney and there is absolutely no comparison in the two, not even close.
I am with Saltydog. I paid a gunsmith $40 to adjust the X-Mark Pro trigger and he apologized and said it was the worst trigger he had ever seen on a Remington. He said for another $100 he could make it right, right being spelled:
T I M N E Y. With the Timney trigger, it is my most accurate rifle, chambered in .223, 700 SPS Varmint. Shoots in the .3's and .4's with factory Fiocchi 40 gr V-Max ammo and annoys me that so far my handloads can't seem to beat it.

Regolith
June 1, 2012, 10:20 PM
Saltydog: What mods did you do to the bolt? Looks neat.

warbirdlover
June 1, 2012, 10:28 PM

Saltydog235

Have to disagree. At least to the point that these triggers may vary. Some good, some bad. Mine is excellent. And I've put Timneys on rifles, had Model 70's with original triggers, Browning A-Bolts and a good percentage of most commercial rifles other then the big dollar ones. I'll say a Timney (or one of the other premium triggers) might be better because of more adjustment but my X-Mark Pro adjusted down to 3 lbs. just like they said it would and breaks crisp and clean without much travel. For a hunting rifle it's just fine. I put the light spring in my Ruger 77 Mk II all-weather and the X-Mark Pro is far better then that trigger even though the Ruger is now pretty good.

bigalshootmupper
June 3, 2012, 11:01 AM
My X Mark Pro trigger is adjusted to about 3lbs and it is great. No, it is not the best trigger. I have a Jewell and a couple of custom jobs, and they are slightly better, but not that much better. For a factory trigger on a $600 rifle, I don't think you will get any better (I will say on average, as maybe Saltydog got a bad one). Bad is a relative term. To me bad is a stock AR-15 trigger, stock 10/22, or the my stock Marlin 925 rifle trigger. If it compares to one of those, then there is something wrong with it.

Saltydog235
June 4, 2012, 06:33 AM
I want my triggers breaking at 2-2.5 lbs at most, not the inconsistant break I was getting out of the X-Pro. I'm no super expert but I do own about 50-60 bolt action rifles, that X-Pro was near the middle or bottom on the list.

The only modification to the bolt on that gun is the Badger Bolt knob and a Duracoat paint job. I think the two most important mods on the gun are the trigger and the Wyatt Extended box mag which allows me to use the same loads my Sako shoots, just glad both rifles like it. And the stock feels about 1 million times better than the factory junk that came on it.

bigalshootmupper
June 4, 2012, 08:41 PM
My Rem 700 does seem to have a short box for the magazine box. I think my semi-auto 308 can take a longer bullet. Mine has the Hogue stock, which I really like, except for the short mag box.

I use mine for deer hunting and for target shooting, so 3-4lbs on the trigger is good for me.

warbirdlover
June 5, 2012, 08:44 PM
I don't like a "hunting" rifle with a trigger pull less then 3 lbs. But for the bench it's okay. I've found if the pull is too light I can't feel the "squeeze".

Saltydog235
June 6, 2012, 06:42 AM
2lbs isn't what I consider light. 6oz to 1lb is a light pull. I've used the 2-2.5lb pull on my rifles for so long that I'm very use to not even touching the trigger unitl I'm lined up and never take the safety off until I amabout ready to "squeeze".

Honestly the only thing I was satisfied with on my SPS was the fact that it was a heavier barreled action chambered in 7mm08 on a platform that I could work on myself. Compared to other manufacturer's of entry and base level guns, Remington's quality is subpar on almost every component.

hooligan1
June 7, 2012, 06:04 AM
In 2008, I gave my #1 son my ole 700, it was made, according to the serial number in 1977. It has a wonderful trigger set at 3.5 lbs. In feb. 2009 I went to the local Wally world to buy myself another deer rifle, and after handling both the SPS 700 and the Weatherby, I walked out with the Weatherby.
Now, at the time, they didn't have a Savage there, otherwise things could of turned out differently.
The truth is though, I handled these rifles for an hour, and the only thing I could see in the 700 was that it was lighter, and they wanted 130.00 more for it, but it had a creepy, gritty, heavy trigger on it, where as the Vanguards trigger was better, but not perfect, as I ended up replacing that trigger with a Timney,( now I'm hooked on Timney triggers) because I wanted a lighter trigger, it's now set at 2.5 lbs, and is wonderful of course.;)

tahunua001
June 7, 2012, 07:36 PM
going from personal experiences in my LGS, I probably would not get an SPS. for some reason I never really liked synth stocks on my bolt guns and having learned to shoot with my fathers 700 ADL, I have gotten spoiled. every single action on the SPS seems gritty from trigger pull to bolt cycling. they coat the bolts with a material that is similar in texture to a chalkboard which made the simple act of opening and closing the bolt a spine chilling affair. some people love the SPS, for me, I'd rather take an ADL,BDL or CDL any day of the week and twice on sundays.