PDA

View Full Version : Why do a lot of people pick on Glock?

AdamSean
May 27, 2012, 10:47 PM
I have been looking over forums for a few years now and I have seen a lot of people that are pro-Glock and a lot that are Glock-haters. I don't see a lot of supported information other than Glocks are ugly and look like a brick...lol. I know there are a lot of quality firearms out there, but they all fit into the same line-up. When someone asks me what would be a good choice for a self defense firearm, I always recommend Glock, Springfield XD, and Smith and Wesson M&P. To me the Glock and XDs are ugly and brick-like, but function great and are combat accurate. The M&P may look a little prettier, but why does a gun have to look pretty. If you are carrying it concealed, you are not going to be showing off.

Isn't this all funny...lol? I think Glocks are sexy in their own way. I have always been into a girl with curves too. Go figure...lmao

Mark54g
May 27, 2012, 10:50 PM
Some people don't like them because of the grip angle. Some don't like them because the trigger must be pulled to take them apart, breaking one of the rules of safety (I fall into that camp).

Some dislike them because of Gaston Glock's own hubris, and others for the "lore" of the inimitable glock, perfect in every way, and unable to be jammed, yet totally unrealistic.

Hiker 1
May 27, 2012, 11:02 PM
People can become quite emotional about what they shoot (gun, caliber, etc) and as a result can become quite emotional about what other people shoot too.

They do the same with other inanimate objects - cars, computers, tools, etc.

I carry a Glock and I think they're great, but I don't get the whole love-hate thing.

5RWill
May 27, 2012, 11:07 PM
I have nothing against glock it was the first handgun i bought. Though weeks afterwards i held a M&P and realized the glock wasn't suiting my comfort. I can shoot it decent i guess (not keen on handgun shooting yet) but i shot a 6-7 shot group today with my M&P that was error free. No breaking of the wrist, jerking the trigger, too much trigger finger, etc. Just not that comfortable for my small hands. I still like to shoot my 21 though.

IMightBeWrong
May 27, 2012, 11:20 PM
Because it's uglier than sin, made out of cheap plastic, has a grip made for gorillas, and it's made by a guy named "Gaston."

HKGuns
May 27, 2012, 11:22 PM
This will last around 10 more posts. Better lock it down now before it turns.

lamarw
May 27, 2012, 11:40 PM
Don't worry about what people you do not even know think. Care about what you like and works for you. Not that you should care, but I do not like them because they are not made in the USA.

Reviews on various forums have varying opinions on every handgun I own except for two. Everyone seems to like old original Colt M1911's and S&W 686's. Otherwise, you will find mixed reviews on all my Sigs, Berettas, and etc. There are also mixed reviews on all the shotguns and rifles I own. I don't let it bother me since I am too old to worry about the little things in life.

Therefore the most important rule is not to start threads about guns you personally like. :)

Single Six
May 27, 2012, 11:40 PM
I've tried, so help me I've really tried, to warm up to Glocks. I mean, they work. Very reliably. They're rugged. But, they're just not my cup of tea, for two reasons: No manual safety. No stainless finish. If they would just offer these as OPTIONAL features, I'd get one. Having said that, I won't fault anyone for liking, much less using, a Glock. To each their own.

Nanuk
May 27, 2012, 11:47 PM
Some people just gotta hate.

That is why there are so many options available today, everyone likes something different. When I got out of the Army and started LE I could carry any gun I wanted as long as it was a Colt revolver in 357 magnum or Smith and Wesson revolver in 357 magnum.

chris in va
May 28, 2012, 12:06 AM
I don't have a problem with Glocks in general, just something I could never shoot accurately enough.

kozak6
May 28, 2012, 12:37 AM
Glocks aren't bad pistols, they just aren't for me.

Rabid Glock fans are a bigger problem.

TheGunGuy
May 28, 2012, 01:11 AM
Great guns... Just couldn't get em to fit me.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

AdamSean
May 28, 2012, 01:22 AM
The fact that Glocks don't have many options such as finish and grip size does kind of suck. I would like a stainless finish. The 9mm and .40 S&W frames fit fine for my hands, but I would really like to have a .45 ACP that holds 10 rounds in the magazine, that also fits my hand. Glock just doesn't fit my hand this way. I still like them of course, just have to go with something like a Springfield XD for a .45 ACP.

Hank15
May 28, 2012, 01:35 AM
Glock 21SF might fit you...it's more comfortable for me than the Glock 22.

Glock has to be held at a weirder angle, relative to other pistols (at least for me).

The internal parts are almost too cheap/poor quality (I have a 3rd Gen. Take that for what it's worth).

My firing components were so poorly plated that I have to strip the factory finish and replate it with something else. The springs look like the ones used in my $3 made in China toys.

Joe .45 ACP
May 28, 2012, 02:16 AM
I hate Glocks and own 4 of them!

22, 27, 30 and 36….

To me they are ugly made of plastic and the grip stinks!!!

However, they are accurate, reliable and easy to shoot. With a Hogue grip I’ve fixed the grip issue… They are by fare one of the best guns for the price the next best gun is the Sig (very expensive). Funny how everyone tries to copy the Glock. Oh I don’t care for the trigger either.

My favorite gun to shoot is my Kimber ultra carry II ya an $1,100 gun, but for CCW I prefer my Glock 36 6+1 rounds and a mag in my pocket.

Yes, I hate the Glock so much I had to own them and I’m looking at the Glock 21.

Joe

Flatcat
May 28, 2012, 02:30 AM
Now this scares me I understand what Joe means!

fext
May 28, 2012, 05:03 AM
Glock is a killing tool, nothing fancy.
Pros:
light, small, very rugged and durable, high capacity, easy to CC, pretty consistent
Cons:
bad ergonomics, no hammer, ugly.

Note that everything I perceive as a bad thing on Glock is not generic. The gun can't fit into my hand, but other people would feel otherwise. I dislike that the hammer is missing, because I'm used to have a thumb on the hammer spur when holstering to make sure the trigger is not accidentally pulled. And well the Glock is so ugly it is almost lovely.

So obviously the good things prevail, Glock is a very good gun. I'm a CZ75 man for life since the pistol fits my hand and naturally points where I look when I raise the gun. But if a Glock would be a natural pointer in my hands, I'd never look back and be happy with the Glock.

fext
May 28, 2012, 05:05 AM
With a Hogue grip I’ve fixed the grip issue…

Joe mind to post a link? I might even give my G17 another chance.

Mrgunsngear
May 28, 2012, 06:38 AM
Why do people hate Glocks? Because they haven't drank the Kool-Aid yet!
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/Glock-Aid.jpg

In all seriousness, people hate what they don't know. People hated Toyotas when they were first imported, now the Camry is the best selling car in the country. Many had driven Fords/Chevy's their whole lives and are just resistant to change.

For Glocks, you can change the above paragraph to Glock instead of Toyota and Chevy/Ford to 1911/Revolver/BHP.

Interestingly enough, both the Camry and Glock are now made in America...

boylit
May 28, 2012, 07:07 AM
i don't hate glocks... actually kinda like them except that there are a couple of pistols that fit me better...

what i hate are people who rabidly evangelize to me that i SHOULD get rid of my pistol and get a glock... not every glock owner is like that but there are a bunch of them out there... sadly some of my friends are like that... i'd just as soon not hang around them but other than the fanboy-ism, they're a great set of guys...

TailGator
May 28, 2012, 07:27 AM
I think a lot of the Glock hate is a reflex response to the people who proclaim Glock to be THE BEST handgun for EVERYONE for EVERY PURPOSE. (The next step is often something along the lines of " . . . and anyone who disagrees with me must be stupid.")

If you ignore the hype and look at the guns rationally, as several previous posts have done, you find that Glock is one of a bunch of well-made pistols that are available these days, and that they serve some people pretty well but aren't for everyone.

FWIW: I have a Glock. I also have some other pistols. I like them all or I wouldn't keep them.

donato
May 28, 2012, 07:29 AM
Because when someone is having some issues with and looking for help with their handgun, at least one Glock owner will always post a reply: "Get a Glock".

dayman
May 28, 2012, 07:31 AM
Some people can't see the difference between not liking a gun personally, and it being a bad choice globally. Or vise versa.
People do the same thing with caliber choice, method of carry, and pretty much everything else - and well beyond the gun world. I guess some people need to try to make everyone agree with them to feel good about their choices.

Aaron1100us
May 28, 2012, 07:38 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with what people grew up with or are used to. My G22 was the first pistol I ever owned. Before that, I had only shot other pistols a handful of times. I've been shooting my Glock for the past 11 years so that is what I'm used to.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

ohen cepel
May 28, 2012, 07:43 AM
I'm not a Glock fan, just doens't do it for me. I own them, don't have any reason to not like them but I just don't.

Now, what I do hate are the irrational fan boys who go goo-goo for Glocks like 12yr old at a Beiber concert. Or, the guys who buy a perfectly fine Glock and then spend $1000 more on it to make it much less reliable than it ever was in the first place. Again, sort of like the people who put a noisy muffler on their '86 Civic.

GaryH
May 28, 2012, 07:59 AM
Shot a few Glocks. Never cared for them. "Bought" a Glock 19 from a friend. Shot it a few times. The more I shot it the less I liked it. Sold it back to the friend. On a whim, bought a Glock 35 that had a 9mm conversion barrel with it and some extra magazines. I liked it...liked shooting 9mm better than .40 from it, though. The more I shoot it the better I like it. I'm looking for a Glock 21 now and starting to think about .357Sig.

BGutzman
May 28, 2012, 07:59 AM
Glocks are the right choice for some people... Not for me..... But as much as I simply dont care for it they do seem to have a unending supply of defective pistol shipping lately (IMHO). Im not saying it to be insulting, Im say it because of what I see in online complaints and only here in recent months. I think the manufacturing process has slipped some..

If you like them enjoy... simply not for me..

ponchsox
May 28, 2012, 08:28 AM
Because of all of the "Glock or nothing" people out there. A decade ago I would agree that Glock was the best but today there are just as good if not better platforms out there (S&W M&P).

Ozzieman
May 28, 2012, 08:35 AM
I am amazed that this Love/Hate Glock has stayed so polite so far.
I was a Glock hater until my wife picked one out, and then I made the mistake of letting her shoot my 60. The Glock became mine.
My biggest complaint about Glock aholocks is the fact that Glocks are not perfect guns as they come out of the factory. Reliable, yes. But to say anything at all negative about Glocks is equal to being blasphemous during the inquisition.
They are great guns, but not great for everyone. This comes from someone that carries a Glock every day. It amazes me on some threads where someone will ask a good question “Do you think that my 19 would be better with ???????” And they are attacked like they are burning a cross.
Then again the same thing goes for Hi Point fans.
I just don’t get it.
I could go on about why I like/Hate my 26 but that is just my opinion which is meaningless for most other shooters.
If you don’t like Glocks, there are a lot of other fish in the pond. If you like you’re Glocks, good for you, good choice, you could have done worse and bought a Hi,,,,, Nope not going to do it.

BIG P
May 28, 2012, 08:39 AM
Good gun for the money,& theyjust work no high maintence involved.
Looks are in the eye of the beholder.looks dont make better guns.:rolleyes:

CCCLVII
May 28, 2012, 10:06 AM
Glocks are great guns. I own 2 of them. That said they are blocky and uncomfortable to people use to shooting revolvers and 1911s.

For some people the double stack mag makes the grips too thick. I think if glock made a single stack CCW style gun it would probably be a great gun (they dont make one of those do they? :confused: )

triggerhappy2006
May 28, 2012, 10:11 AM
I pick on Glocks because its fun :p, same reason people pick on Hi-Point or Beretta M9's or HK's.

geetarman
May 28, 2012, 10:16 AM
I did not like Glocks when I was first introduced to them.

They are still ugly and blocky, but they run fine.

Geetarman:D

themalicious0ne
May 28, 2012, 10:21 AM
I think the Glock love hate thing is funny. I feel its the same more/less minus the hate of 1911 lovers. Like there is absolutely no better gun. ;) I think many guns are great including these two. Glocks are great all around. There is no perfect gun though, unless you get every "perfect" gun :rolleyes:

spodwo
May 28, 2012, 10:46 AM
I have two Glocks - Gen 3s - a 22 and 19. They are to me - the "meh" pistol. Yes - it is what it is...but frankly there are pistols out there that I enjoy much more to shoot. I definitely prefer my Sig 229 over the 22 and there are several 9mms that I would keep over the Glock should I have to dispense with pistols. It's a generic to me...good and practical but not Fantastic and Uber....

I would take the 19 with me for rough country and hiking only because I wouldn't want to sob hysterically if I accidently dropped it into a chasm with no hope of retrieving it. Come to think of it though - since it is the OD green version, I probably would shed a tear as they seem pretty rare and command a higher price generally...:)

amprecon
May 28, 2012, 11:02 AM
I don't care what people say of Glocks, good or bad. I shoot the Glock 21 better and more naturally than any other handgun I've ever tried, so I like it and it's the only pistol I own.

I just don't need anything else.

sheepman
May 28, 2012, 11:15 AM
Hand guns are a personal choice, that is why companies can sell different ones. Some of use just know our choice is the best and can not understand how someone could think other wise. Find what works best for you and don't worry what others think.

It always amazes me how others know what is best for the world. A handgun is a tool get what works for you and don't criticize others choices.:D

Nanuk
May 28, 2012, 11:21 AM
Glocks are tools. I have modified all them to be comfortable in MY hand, perfect they are not but.........

ritepath
May 28, 2012, 11:29 AM
The popular kids are always picked on by the commoners.

KMAX
May 28, 2012, 11:34 AM
I occasionally talk trash about Glocks simply because I hear so many Glock fans bragging about how great they are. Just razzing them. I have never owned a Glock and only shot one (a Glock 22). I have looked at them and considered buying one, but they just don't appeal to me. Nor do any poly-framed guns really. I guess Glocks are good firearms, just not my "cup of tea".
If you like them go for them and enjoy.

Edward429451
May 28, 2012, 11:36 AM
I might pick on Glocks a little here n there but it's mostly in fun. Fact is, it's a pretty fine gun for the price I suppose. I have never denied that my G21 was a tad more accurate than my 1911, nor had it ever malf'd with a factory round.

It's not hate, it's mischievousness to rile up the Glocksters and make them spray their Kool-Aid all over their keyboards by suggesting that there is better pistols out there (which there is!) :D

Same thing with the Lee Fanbois :p

I personally decided against the Glocks for my uses, though I became a little fond of that short reset trigger. It may have been a tad more accurate than my 1911 but that is of no consequence, my 1911 being for SD and it's not about being an inch or two tighter, it's about reliability. The Glock was finicky to my reloads which run like butter through my Colt. My thinner Colt is much more comforting to carry.

Casimer
May 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
+1 on this being due to the Fanboys. I don't have a strong opinion on Glocks. They're not my cup of tea, but I'll recommend that someone consider them if they're looking for a pistol and aren't familiar w/ the options.

But I do think that much of the negative sentiment towards Glocks is blowback for the behavior of certain fans. Glocks seem to attract a lot of new, often young, shooters who promote them in the same way that they would their favorite band or video game. So their smack talk is annoying because they don't know much, except that Glocks are perfect and other guns suck. It's like arguing with a 12 year old over what type of car you should drive.

Tom Servo
May 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
They don't point naturally, so I'm not a big fan.

That said, I remember when they were gaining popularity, and that statement would gain me all kinds of funny looks and questions about my sanity. The fanboyism was fairly annoying.

I don't think they're the best beginner gun, as they're completely unforgiving of error.

jeepmcd
May 28, 2012, 12:47 PM
Glocks are greats... for many individuals. As most of the other people on this thread have pointed out.

I like them in many ways: light, reliable, relatively cheap. That being said, I do not own one. I just bought my first handgun a few months ago after hours and hours of research, a 1993 West German Sig P226 in 9mm. I paid the same price for a new Glocks for my new to me Sig.

In my research what turned me away from Glocks may have been the overwhelming arrogance of many Glocks owners. They seemed like drug dealers telling me how good this stuff is, never mentioning anything negative. Meanwhile I am looking at videos of malfunctioning Glocks. I guess it didn't add up to me.

Every person NEEDS different characteristics of their fire-arms. I wanted a stable, reliable, shooter that I could be proud of.

To answer your question, some haters might have a negative opinion of this fine brand due to the relentless over-hyping from some of the Glock-lovers out there.

presspics
May 28, 2012, 03:00 PM
I'm with 54g on this one. Having to pull the trigger in order to field strip the gun is fundamentally unsafe. Ask any police department that issues Glocks how many negligent discharges they have had. Officers have been wounded due to the ass backward design of the Glock. I trained for Homeland Security at the Boston PD range. The ceiling is riddled with bullet holes from ND's.

Glock, unsafe in any caliber.

amd6547
May 28, 2012, 03:14 PM
I would never think of stripping any firearm, let alone my Glocks, without first clearing chamber.

BlueTrain
May 28, 2012, 03:25 PM
I'm a little late coming to this thread but a former governor of West Virginia, now president of The College Board, is named Gaston!

TXAZ
May 28, 2012, 03:27 PM
1) They're inexpensive compared to other handguns (Colt, S&W, Sig, etc, albeit not in the Saturday Night Special category)
2) They are adopted for price by many large departments because saving $200-$1000 per officer weapon times X,000 officers can be big bucks.
3) Some people like the feel of them, although it seems to me that give a choice most do not (IMHO). I'd agree with an earlier comment that the grip angle doesn't work for me as well as an M&P or Sig.
4) From a sales point of view, I believe they outsell most every other similar weapon. That would tend to make them a marketing target.

manta49
May 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
Quote. Don't worry about what people you do not even know think. Care about what you like and works for you. Not that you should care, but I do not like them because they are not made in the USA.

Do you not mind where they are designed. As long as they are made in America. The American police and military and civilians use firearms that where designed outside America and don't seem to mind.

BGutzman
May 28, 2012, 04:06 PM
As a considered opinion I think Glock has lost a lot of steam lately and as the seemingly high level of manufacturing problems is starting to make them the new Taurus.

Im not saying it for the flame effect and to be honest I take no pleasure in any gun owner having problems. Im sure overall sales are higher than ever but it seems overall complaints about the brand are higher than ever also...

Who knows maybe its just proportional to the sales... but as a outsider looking in it does appear to be an actual problem and not just among Generation 4 but also many of the 3rd Gens seem to have problems.

I hope Glock sorts it all out...

Nanuk
May 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
And of course one of the reasons I like Glocks so much has been pointed out, they are fairly inexpensive. I do not care if I drop it, bang it around, sweat on it etc. it is a tool to be used, and if I need to replace it...$400 bucks blue label.....

lamarw
May 28, 2012, 04:26 PM
You are correct manta49, although someone posted above about Glccks now made in the USA. If so, I might feel a little better about them. I see your locality and can appreciate where you might be coming from with your question.

Many of the guns I own were designed in other Countries such as Sigs and Beretta. I was not a fan of Mercedes, Honda, or Hyundai. Now - not only do they make them and many others in the USA, but they make many models of the above 3 listed here in Alabama.

My point becomes more moot as time goes by with the World truely becoming and international manufacturing and market place. :confused:

manta49
May 28, 2012, 04:42 PM
Quote. You are correct manta49, although someone posted above about Glccks now made in the USA. If so, I might feel a little better about them. I see your locality and can appreciate where you might be coming from with your question.

Many of the guns I own were designed in other Countries such as Sigs and Beretta. I was not a fan of Mercedes, Honda, or Hyundai. Now - not only do they make them and many others in the USA, but they make many models of the above 3 listed here in Alabama.

My point becomes more moot as time goes by with the World truely becoming and international manufacturing and market place.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To be honest i am surprised that glock don't manufacture pistols in America as they are so popular. As for glocks when i was buying my first pistol a glock was top of my list. But after handling one it went way down my list, the main reason was because i decided that i preferred the weight and feel of steel pistols. So its not because its a glock but because it has a polymer frame i don't own one. :)

excelerater
May 28, 2012, 04:46 PM
cause they are ugly peices of plastic and super popular
So why not knock them :p

AK103K
May 28, 2012, 06:22 PM
No manual safety.
Having carried guns with and without them, I dont see what the problem is here. From the standpoint of using the gun, once in hand, the safety is, or should be off. Holstering can be dicey with either, especially under stress and your attention is elsewhere.

Blindly relying on a manual safety isnt a good thing either. Ive had a few 1911's that had malfunctioning grip safeties, right out of the box. Ive also found the thumb safety off at the end of the day on many occasions.

The main safety is between your ears, and its really the only one that controls things.

I would never think of stripping any firearm, let alone my Glocks, without first clearing chamber.
Kind of makes you wonder, doesnt it?

If youre a sloppy gun handler, its not going to matter what you have, at some point, your going to put a round in something unintentionally. If youre dumb enough to pull the trigger on a chamber you didnt clear, its not the guns fault.

That said they are blocky and uncomfortable to people use to shooting revolvers and 1911s.

They don't point naturally, so I'm not a big fan.
There was a time all of the above pertained to me. After spending a little quality time with a couple of Glocks, I know now that its a personal issue, stemming from lack of experience and nothing more.

These days, I shoot Glocks more than the rest, but I still shoot everything else too. I have no troubles jumping back and forth between types. Pointing isnt generally an issue either, although there may be a slight readjustment needed (a mag, maybe two at most) if you havent been shooting one or the other for awhile. If you track the front sight, its absolutely a non issue.

As a considered opinion I think Glock has lost a lot of steam lately and as the seemingly high level of manufacturing problems is starting to make them the new Taurus......

Who knows maybe its just proportional to the sales... but as a outsider looking in it does appear to be an actual problem and not just among Generation 4 but also many of the 3rd Gens seem to have problems.
Just curious, but what are the "seemingly high level of manufacturing problems" youre referring to? I know the Gen 4's had some recoil spring issues early on, and other than some complaints about ejection, I dont remember hearing anything else that was a problem.

Over on Glock talk, the only real complaints Ive been seeing are with some ejection issues on some guns. Right now, theres an ongoing 26 page thread there about just that, and with all sorts of varying issues. Most of it deals with randomly getting beaned in the head with the empties, and I dont remember reading anything there where the guns were not functioning, just tagging you in the head and shoulders on occasion. My take on it, from my personal experiences, has been its "reload" related. No troubles with factory ammo, but my heavily reloaded brass with tore up rims, tend to hit me in the head on occasion.

Now I dont have any Gen 4's, but I do currently have 12 Gen 3's, most of which are later guns, and all have been flawless with factory ammo. A couple of heavily shot guns, do still bean me on occasion with my reloads though.

One thing for sure, regardless of maker, the internet can be a wealth of "mis" information, and its amazing how many negative posts are made by people who dont even own, and/or shoot one of the guns in question. From what Ive seen, there tends to be a lot more "I heards", than there are "I have, and its trouble".

Unfortunately, from what Ive seen personally, when guns made outside the US start getting made here, trouble seems to follow pretty quick. It would be interesting to hear how the US "made for export" Glocks are doing overseas.

Kevin_d77
May 28, 2012, 07:00 PM
Like mentioned earlier, my problem isn't w.Glocks, its their owners elitist attitudes. My best friend tells me the other day that Glock is superior in every way to the XD in which i replied "including exploding in your hands...." He tells me that we both should buy 5k rounds and whichever gun fails first, the other.guy had to pay for both the gun and the ammo. Forgetting I have deeper pockets than him, I agree bit then point out that i have no need for a broken Glock. He tells me that no other gun has been thru the tests Glock has and that they're indestructable. I find three articles describing police forces stopping uaing Glock because of the grenade effect and several articles showcasing the XD 20k round torture test.

3 hours later I get an email w an article attached showing a single XD failure and the only words attached are "Glocks are still better...."

I didn't realize this was such a touchy topic until that day but I permanently have a bad taste in my mouth due to that experience. From my beat friend none-the-less....

Justice06RR
May 28, 2012, 07:09 PM
I have been looking over forums for a few years now and I have seen a lot of people that are pro-Glock and a lot that are Glock-haters. I don't see a lot of supported information other than Glocks are ugly and look like a brick...lol. I know there are a lot of quality firearms out there, but they all fit into the same line-up. When someone asks me what would be a good choice for a self defense firearm, I always recommend Glock, Springfield XD, and Smith and Wesson M&P. To me the Glock and XDs are ugly and brick-like, but function great and are combat accurate. The M&P may look a little prettier, but why does a gun have to look pretty. If you are carrying it concealed, you are not going to be showing off.

Isn't this all funny...lol? I think Glocks are sexy in their own way. I have always been into a girl with curves too. Go figure...lmao

Believe it or not, looks is a BIG deal and plays a part in a person's choice of firearm.

whats wrong with having a nice looking pistol like an M&P or H&K USP or 1911? Doesn't matter if you are conceal carrying it. Remember that some people actually use these pistols to compete or Open carry too. CC is not everything. I'm sure some people collect firearms, and there is nothing collectible about a plain ol' Glock. And wait, everybody and their mom has one!

Given a choice between a Honda and BMW, which would you choose? Both does the same exact thing, but one of them does it better and with style

AK103K
May 28, 2012, 07:21 PM
Like mentioned earlier, my problem isn't w.Glocks, its their owners elitist attitudes.
To be fair, thats not just a Glock thing. Most of these type arguments are over elitist attitudes. Just pick your flavor of the day to argue about. :)

Given a choice between a Honda and BMW, which would you choose?
That all depends on what I want to do and how much money I have to do it with. Having driven both pretty extensively, the Beemers were more fun, but the Hondas werent far behind, and were a lot less trouble and cheaper to run in the long run (German cars are great, just not cheap to keep up). Some things just give you more for your money. Some guns are like that too.

donato
May 28, 2012, 07:28 PM
Ponchsox said: Because of all of the "Glock or nothing" people out there. A decade ago I would agree that Glock was the best but today there are just as good if not better platforms out there (S&W M&P).

Yep, and I'll bet the M&P doesn't eject casings into the middle of your forehead either.

BGutzman
May 28, 2012, 08:05 PM
Just curious, but what are the "seemingly high level of manufacturing problems" youre referring to? I know the Gen 4's had some recoil spring issues early on, and other than some complaints about ejection, I dont remember hearing anything else that was a problem.

My esteemed friend AK103 :) Just look at the threads over the last few months and it seems there are more complaints about Glock quality than i have seen in my time in this forum.

Certainly it could just be perception and maybe it is proportional to the sales.. I dont know.. I have some time off next week and maybe i will try to crunch a little more solid numbers but it does (to me at least) have the appearance of being real.. and a recent trend...

Sturmgewehre
May 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
Glock has had some high profile problems as of late.

The Gen 4 guns, and late run Gen 3 guns have been troublesome. We all know about the spring problems with the Gen 4 guns, but what many don't know is that Glock changed the design of the extractor late in the Gen 3 production run and caused a bunch of problems. This same extractor carried over into the Gen 4 guns for a double whammy set of problems.

The Gen 4 guns have also seen at least one design change in the ejector in an effort to fix the many issues they continue to have with the guns.

What I find interesting is why Glock is tampering with ejectors, springs and extractors this late in the game. Good Lord, you would have thought they had things fine tuned a decade ago.

The biggest screw-up was the Gen 4 springs system... it was totally unwarranted on the 9mm guns. It should have never happened.

I carry Glocks for personal protection, but I stopped buying Glocks early in the Gen 3 model. Glock has continued to make a mess of a pistol that was once known for its incredible reliability.

Glock's screw-ups haven't been limited to the above mentioned issues. They also raced the G21SF 1913 railed gun to market (proposed military contract) with its poorly designed ambi-magazine release which wound up being a short production run given the problems with the release system.

I think Glock is struggling to remain relevant. Their Gen 4 guns are a sign that Glock is floundering, unsure how to move forward against the competition. We've seen nothing new from Glock in terms of handgun design and they continue to screw with their original design in an a failed (IMHO) attempt to keep the design competitive with more modern designs. The grip inserts for the Gen 4 guns are nothing short of a bad joke.

Personally, I believe Glock should have stopped "evolving" the pistol at the Gen 3 model. The Gen 4 should have never happened.

Mrgunsngear
May 28, 2012, 09:21 PM
The Gen 4 should have never happened.

In 9mm, I agree. Most people seem to have properly functioning Gen4s outside of the 19 and 17.

presspics
May 28, 2012, 09:50 PM
I see some people are defending Glocks tendency for negligent discharges and passing it off as the fault of the shooters for not "checking" the chamber. Those people are missing the point. Having to pull the trigger to break down a gun IS A VIOLATION OF BASIC SAFE HANDLING RULES. There is NO way around the fact that the gun HAS TO BREAK SAFETY RULES TO BE DISASSEMBLED. That is not up to discussion. Glocks are inherently UNSAFE.

And some people have said that Glocks are indestructible ...That's a crock of crap! Glock failed the DHS/ICE contract because they broke during the drop tests.

There is nothing special about a Glock. They are at best an average gun with some serious drawbacks.

Fishing_Cabin
May 28, 2012, 09:51 PM
I dont buy it to all the hype...Now, with all of that said...

I am a LEO, and at the range the majority of pistols are Glocks in some form or another. I carry a 1911...I grew up knowing and shooting a 1911, so that is what I am most comfortable with.

At most any qualification there are multiple problems with the issued Glocks. Failure to fire, Failure to feed, Failure to eject, etc. Thats not even getting in to the scores. After all this time Glock and their supporters claim "perfection."

The majority of the issues come from user error in one form or another granted. With that said, Glock and most other firearm designs would do well if the operator had knowledge and a level of encouragement to ensure a good performance. The fact remains there is absolutely no "one pistol for everyone." The "one and only pistol" is a fantasy that some people try to preach. There are different abilities, just as much as their are different hand sizes, dexterity, knowledge, etc.

Going back to the title of the thread, "Why do a lot of people pick on Glock?" Well...Umm, where do I really start? It isnt the first in any stroke of the imagination. It really isnt. The first striker fired? Nope. The first Polymer? Nope... And on down the list.

I keep hearing from others how "carrying any pistol with a safety" is wrong... Doesnt Glock have a safety built in to the trigger? They seem to forget that. Or that trigger is too light, but if you put it on a scale it is on par with Glock's. Or if a person wants to carry say a Sig DAK, its who wants such a long mushy trigger pull. Or if someone wants to carry a traditional DA/SA pistol, its "oh, you shouldn't have to transition your trigger pull.." In the end there is always an excuse why the Glock is the end all be all, or at least until something finally comes along to replace it. I have heard all the excuses and ideas why Glock is all the best. Its why if I have a choice, I choose anything but a Glock. Not that a Glock is bad, but there are options out there as well.

A replacement will come in time. Always has and will.

I am sure there are folks who hate me for my thoughts, but its how I really feel. Glocks are not for everyone. There is no pistol now or ever that will be for everyone without exception.

presspics
May 28, 2012, 10:01 PM
It's funny, I have a cop friend that says that Glocks are perfect. Every time I send him a link to a Glock that has problems he always responds with 'that's just internet rumors. Don't believe anything on the internet!' But when he reads something on the internet about any other gun having a problem he always sends me the link and says "see that, those guns have problems,they suck"

Well, which is it? Should I believe what I read on the internet or not? HAHAHA! He's a Kool-Aid drinker...I find that annoying to say the least.

Mrgunsngear
May 28, 2012, 10:06 PM
At most any qualification there are multiple problems with the issued Glocks. Failure to fire, Failure to feed, Failure to eject, etc. Thats not even getting in to the scores.

The only time I participated in a large scale LEO qualification was in the police academy. The guns used were G22s.... The results you're reporting are completely different that what I experienced. Of the cadets, the only one with issues was a small female who couldn't reach the controls properly due to her dwarf like hands.

Sturmgewehre
May 28, 2012, 10:10 PM
I see some people are defending Glocks tendency for negligent discharges and passing it off as the fault of the shooters for not "checking" the chamber.
I'm sorry but a tool can't have "tendencies" nor can it be negligent. Only the person using the tool can have such traits.

If you fire your gun unintentionally, you have no one to blame but yourself.

presspics
May 28, 2012, 10:13 PM
It doesn't matter...Having to pull the trigger is a violation of gun safety rules.

The design is flawed = Massive FAIL!!

Sturmgewehre
May 28, 2012, 10:25 PM
I find the claimed strict adherence to the mythical "safety rules" somewhat comical. If you carry a firearm for defensive purposes you must violate the safety rules regularly. Take a fighting pistol course sometime and listen to what the instructors that will teach you how to fight with a handgun say about the mythical safety rules.

At best they're flexible.

Fishing_Cabin
May 28, 2012, 10:30 PM
The only time I participated in a large scale LEO qualification was in the police academy. The guns used were G22s.... The results you're reporting are completely different that what I experienced. Of the cadets, the only one with issues was a small female who couldn't reach the controls properly due to her dwarf like hands.

Most departments around here issue Glock 22's but also allow folks to provide their own pistols if they would like, but even then they encourage Glock.

You say you've never seen it... Well lets see... First most LEO's are not "gun guys." At the last qualification we had two people that were laughable. One trying to use .380 in a Glock 17. Since it was not a .40S&W he had to provide ammo, and he bought .380 cause it was on sale and "fit." That was his explanation, and also the main reason for the failure to fire, and failure to eject. Another had a round or two loaded backwards in the magazine somehow according to hte range officer, hence why it would not feed. These folks neither know, nor care about firearms. The only reason they even qualify probably (just a guess though) is because they have too. Folks on here and other firearms forums know how to load a mag properly, and how to choose the right ammo for the firearm. Even if its a Glock these two officers, and many like them still wont have a clue. I dont care what pistol you stick some folks with, they will still have problems. A person that knows and likes a certain design, why should it matter if its not a Glock? I would be happy at least with a statement of "to each their own" but instead locally its "you need a Glock."

Joe .45 ACP
May 29, 2012, 02:04 AM
I cut the grip down to fit my smaller frame Glocks. The Hogue Grip fattens the grip of the weapon but it just fits better in my hand I even like the grip now. However, my first love is a Colt 1911.

http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Rubber-Grip-Handall-Sleeve/dp/B0014VRS22

Joe

Rugerismisticness
May 29, 2012, 04:49 AM
People pick on glock because;
there's nothing special about them
they're everywhere
it takes minimal training, thus making a better LE gun
they're lacking aesthetics
and they just don't have the fine fit to get excited over.

There, done.

fext
May 29, 2012, 05:23 AM
If you track the front sight, its absolutely a non issue.

AK103, that is indeed truth. However you can't always do this and that's why some of us like to have natural pointers.

The Hogue Grip fattens the grip of the weapon but it just fits better in my hand I even like the grip now.

Thanks a lot, Joe.

AK103K
May 29, 2012, 06:28 AM
It doesn't matter...Having to pull the trigger is a violation of gun safety rules.
Id like to hear specifically what violation this would be.

Just out of curiousty, do you put all your guns away with the triggers set, or do you relieve the stress on the springs by dropping them?

I find the claimed strict adherence to the mythical "safety rules" somewhat comical. If you carry a firearm for defensive purposes you must violate the safety rules regularly.
I agree.

However you can't always do this and that's why some of us like to have natural pointers.
I understand what youre saying, I used to feel the same way about the Glocks grip and how they pointed, until I started shooting one regularly.

My point here is, with just a little use, youre soon pointing just as naturally with a Glock, as you are with a 1911 or anything else. Shoot the Glocks for a little while, and the 1911's wont point right for you until you readjust to them. Readapting to either gets easier the more you shoot both.

amd6547
May 29, 2012, 06:32 AM
Glocks are natural pointers for me, whether full sized or subcompact. If I shut my eyes and point them, the sights are lined up automatically. But then, I do the same thing with the 1911, HiPower, K frame, or Tokarev.
Oh, safeties are just SO safe, as Tex Grebner is the poster boy of:
http://www.google.com/search?q=tex+grebner+shoots+himself&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

RT
May 29, 2012, 07:13 AM
"Grip angle is one of those discussion points, like "ergonomics", that is often used to promote one weapon over another. When I hear "grip angle" I sort of just walk away, there being nothing I care to hear nor feeling like trying to convince anyone of anything" ---Gabe Suarez

"Guns with grip angles based on ergonomic studies tend to have grip angles similar to the Glock. The 1911 was widely considered to be a poor pointer (if you want an earful, read Elmer Keith's comments about it) until Cooper began singing its praises. During that era, guns with more extreme grip angles than even the Glock (such as the Luger) were thought of as being natural pointers. It wasn't until fairly recently (the last few decades) that the 1911 grip angle suddenly "became more natural" and even began to be touted as ideal. I've never figured out exactly how that happened but I do find it interesting that the high dollar precision match competition pistols all tend to havhttp://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2917224&postcount=174e grip angles that are more similar to Glocks than to 1911s. Then again, what do those folks know or care about ergonomics"... JohnKSA

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2917224&postcount=174

Oh, and IBTL

zincwarrior
May 29, 2012, 08:37 AM
As a bystander, and this is not meant to be hostile, I just get annoyed with both sides. The drama is fun for about a page and then people get personal. Fortunately I never see this in real life, as in real life if some one came up to me espousing some pistol I'd just ignore them utterly. Glock is a company that sells pistols. Those pistols have advantages and disadvantages, just like Beretta, S&W, Sig Sauer, Colt, Remington, Ruger etc. etc. I just get annoyed there are so few single action non-1911s out there...

Frankly people argue. If its not Glock it would be something else. I remember when the 1991 vs. 92 wars were raging. Same thing.

Now the 9mm vs. 40 cal debate...thats serious! ;)

hickok45
May 29, 2012, 08:44 AM
Because of their looks, Glocks can be easily hated, especially if one has not carried and shot one very much. Then it becomes a different story usually.

It's a mystery to me as to why the requirement of pulling the trigger to disassemble is a negative for some folks. I would do nothing BUT that with any gun I disassemble, whether needed or not, just to make absolutely certain it is empty. Of course, I'm 100% sure before I pull the trigger, but that gives pretty tangible evidence even beyond my eyeballing the chamber.

To delve a little too much into Psychology 101, I also think some people are immature enough that they need to "hate" on what the other guy chooses in order to feel better about their own choices. It seems to be a problem for many people to accept the fact that there are lots of valid choices out there.

My .02 worth. :-)
Hickok45

BlueTrain
May 29, 2012, 08:46 AM
While there are usually two sides to every issue, it doesn't have to be either-or. And no one is forced to buy one, are they?

Lambdebois
May 29, 2012, 08:51 AM
Very interesting.... I've never heard that before RT.

I started shooting a glock 32. It's what I learned on. So to me... it seems natural.

Sure other guns may be better looking. Someday... I would like an all steel semi. Possibly one of the old sig p229's before they changed to polomer frames....
But I am very comfortable with it. I have trained myself to keep my finger off that trigger even though I notice those I take shooting have the urge to want to try and put there finger on the trigger early. I trust the gun to work every time.
I shot it at around 50-60 yards for the first time not to long ago at a 20oz coke bottle. I usually reserve longer range handgun shooting for my 686 as it is way more accurate.... at least for me. But I was surprised how many times I was able to hit that coke bottle at that distance. Every shot was minute of coyote even at that distance.

hogwiley
May 29, 2012, 09:23 AM
My German made p226 has made me appreciate glocks shortcomings. I still like my glock 23 and appreciate glocks for what they are, cheap, simple, lightweight, high capacity, low maintenance self defense tools, but Ive redeveloped an appreciation of the reliability of Sig classics after experiencing extraction issues with glocks over the last couple years.

My sigs have not only gone bang every time, they actually can reliably eject a spent casing regardless of whether I have a death grip on the gun and what ammo I use. Not to mention they are a lot safer and more accurate.

Sturmgewehre
May 29, 2012, 09:29 AM
I think Glocks point naturally for me as well. There are two guns I shoot best in this world, the 1911 and a G17. While I'll admit the G17 doesn't feel as good in my hand as a 1911, it shoots very-very well for me.

BlueTrain
May 29, 2012, 09:42 AM
Let me get this straight; are people saying that handguns that are complicated, heavy, low capacity, high maintenance and expensive are better? Or is it that you can't do anything with them? Compared to other handguns, there's not much of an aftermarket for bolt-on or drop-in parts.

AK103K
May 29, 2012, 09:45 AM
My sigs have not only gone bang every time, they actually can reliably eject a spent casing regardless of whether I have a death grip on the gun and what ammo I use. Not to mention they are a lot safer and more accurate.
I sold off most all my SIG's and replaced them with Glocks a few years back. It was purely a "more for your money" decision. I still like SIG's, and still have a couple.

My Glocks have been every bit as reliable, accurate, and safe as my SIG's. The only real difference between them, is the cost of the guns themselves, and their accessories.

As far as the death grip thing, after seeing Sturmgewehre video on limp wristing awhile back, I tried the same thing myself, but had somewhat different results. I fired four full mags (68 rounds) out of one of my 17's, holding the gun with absolutely no grip at all, it was just resting on the web of my hand with the trigger guard resting on my middle finger, and the only thing keeping the gun from leaving my hand while shooting, was my trigger finger. The gun ran through those four mags without one stoppage. The only way I was able to get it to bobble, was holding it sideways, between my thumb and trigger finger, as in the video, and even then, it only stopped about one in three, and it wasnt always one in three.

What I found was, as long as your wrist was behind the gun, it ran fine, grip or no grip.

TunnelRat
May 29, 2012, 09:57 AM
As my dad would say, "I just don't get people". I don't care what gun you use, whether it be a Hi-Point, Glock, Colt 1911, etc. If people like Glocks and shoot them well then awesome. However when some of the over-zealous Glock fanboys start trashing on other guns then I get annoyed.

overkill0084
May 29, 2012, 10:11 AM
30 years ago, when Glock was actually innovative, I could kind of see why they were kind of a big deal.
My father had a number of them and I've tried many of the different calibers and sizes. I remember my father saying, "after shooting other guns with good triggers, the Glock's will seem odd." Yep, no kidding. 30 years later, things aren't much better.
Grip design. It's both oddly shaped and weirdly angled. Cool, they finally addressed the grip shape after all these years. The improvement is marginal. The angle is still untouched. Yea, progress!
General ugliness. Yes, I know, it's not supposed to be pretty. But, come on. 30 years of progress and they are sill pretty much going with the same aesthetic rules. "Any color you want as long as it's black." Hell, even Henry Ford evolved. (Yes I know, they have OD too. Woohoo.) They can't offer a hard chromed slide or something like it? Hell, some concession to people to whom a firearm isn't simply an appliance.

Acolytes Of The Church (Cult?) of the Immaculate Glock. (You know who you are.) They are the primary reason I refuse to consider Glock ownership. Being contrarian in nature, I just have to be a bit different. Preach the Glock gospel to me, and I'll go get a CZ or an XD, just to spite you.

AK103K
May 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
However when some of the over-zealous Glock fanboys start trashing on other guns then I get annoyed.
Same goes for any of the other fanboys. Its not just a Glock phenomena.

As I said before, I think a lot of the arguing is due to a lack of broad, overall experience. We all choose what we like and feel we work best with, its just I think that those who do have broader experience, tend to understand that when things are lacking (assuming nothing mechanical is wrong), its generally not the fault of the gun.

TunnelRat
May 29, 2012, 10:27 AM
Same goes for any of the other fanboys. Its not just a Glock phenomena.

I'll agree to a point. It's been my personal experience that Glock fans are very vocal. Given as how popular they are too it likely makes it seem worse than it is. You're probably right that it's the same small percentage, but if there are more gun owners of one type then that same small percentage is a larger number.

TailGator
May 29, 2012, 10:36 AM
As it happens, a thread on GlockTalk was started on 5-26-12 with the title "Glock, The Greatest Pistol Ever Made?" Thankfully, there are quite a few rational replies there, but there are also quite a number in the affirmative. That is the sort of talk that rankles a lot of people, including quite a few who own Glocks without becoming fanbois.

johnbt
May 29, 2012, 09:06 PM
"Let me get this straight; are people saying that handguns that are complicated, heavy, low capacity, high maintenance and expensive are better?"

If they are the best tool for the job, then yes, they're better. Money is no object when you need the correct tool for a job.

John

robertsig
May 29, 2012, 09:34 PM
There are a dozen arguments for or against the Glock, but if you read enough of them, they boil down to two things.

If you want a gun as a tool, reliable and utilitarian, then Glock is your gun.

If you value the gun for the allure, the form as well as function, the pride of ownership and a heirloom you can pass down, then the Glock is not for you.

By that definition, the 1911 is the quintessential opposite of the Glock. It just depends on what you want in a gun.

tahunua001
May 29, 2012, 09:57 PM
I personally pick on glock owners more than glocks themselves. every gun has problems at some point in it's production life and the glock is no exception. the only real difference is that glocks never suffered reliability issues until the release of the generation 4 models and a few of the early gen 3 45acp models. the problem I have is that it this point even though there was a full scale recall on gen 4 glocks, a lot of glockers still spout off the same old nonsense about perfection and how no other gun can shoot 200,000 rounds without breaking. I defy anyone to take a current production gun of any make and model off their LGS shelf and shoot even 100,000 rounds through it in a short period of time(we'll say a year) and then they can tell me that my gun is inferior to theirs. until then however, I believe that an M&P, SR, XDM, and FNS are all capable of withstanding way more rounds than the average shooter can put downrange in a lifetime.

to switch gears a little I will say that I do not think that glocks are ugly. I used to think that all polymer pistols were icky but then I turned 21 and as soon as that market opened up I fell in love with just about any striker pistol that is regularly available at your local LGS. I never could get used to glocks grips, by itself the grip angle is not horrible, nor is the width, texturing or finger grooves but all together they just never added up to a great feel in hand and I only liken the grips to a 2x4 chunk of cedar because of how it feels, not because of how it looks. for me a FNS or M&P are alright alternatives to glock because they have much nicer grips though they aren't in my collection because of those gawdawful triggers with the hinge in the middle(flame suit on). XDMs and Ruger SRs are on the top of my like list because they both feel great in my hands and they both have a trigger pull that are comparable or slightly better than glock triggers.

with all that said. I do not begrudge any man or woman that owns a glock and loves it but as soon as they start talking about perfection then you can bet that they'll get a mouthful before that conversation ends.

Pond, James Pond
May 30, 2012, 12:59 AM
I've read most of this thread on and off ove the last couple of breakfasts.

At the end of the day, one's opinion is just that: their own.
One might disagree with someone else's, but you can't over-rule it.

So if you like Glocks, great.
If you don't, you're a complete id...., I mean, great also....

Seriously, though. I find both sides of the love/hate coin amusing at times, at others plain annoying.
Guns are objects, but like many "personal" objects, many people threat their guns as an extension of themselves, and so they get attached to them. riticise their gun and you are, by association, criticising them.
That is how it is often perceived.

However, getting wound up in a tight little knot because someone else thinks their gun is the best to the point that personal insults start flying is, well, a bit absurd IMO.
It is not like we are forced to buy something based on others preferences.

I have seen the exact same psychology on motorcycle websites where people haave a visceral, mouth-frothing loathing of BMWs, and owners extoling their virtues....
I mean really..... they're just guns. They're just bikes....

Interestingly, I see many threads where people praise their Ruger or S&W (for example). No one seems to bat an eyelid...

Are any of those three brands really so much better/worse than the other when it comes to putting holes in stuff 30 feet away?

For what it's worth, I think it is great that this thread has remained on an even keel, and not degenerated! :)

boylit
May 30, 2012, 01:57 AM
I don't think there's any problem with people extolling the virtues of their guns. Shouting one's pistol is the best in the world doesn't bother me.

-----

What gets on my nerves are those who would say "that gun is a piece of dung! you NEED a glock."

We had a group of those last weekend at the range. One of them started with my wife's taurus 24/7 g2.

Fanboy1: "i see you got a taurus. Those things break before 1,000 rounds. my glock does 55,000."
Wife: "we passed 1,000 a week ago."
Fanboy1: "that's end-of-life for that. You should just get a glock.

Another picked on a friend who had a kimber and an sr9.

Fanboy2: "those 1911s are overpriced, high maintenance crap."

I wonder what he'd have to say about the guy's open gun.

Overhearing my conversation with my Glock-weilding friend about the Caracal i ordered, the 3rd goes at it.

Fanboy3: "why did you order that?! That's just a glock copy and a bad one at that. I'm telling you I know for a fact they're made in china and will break easy. You should've just gotten a glock.

Note that these guys went over to our bay without invitation.

We tried to ignore them but they just kept at it. I seriously wanted to shoo them off but I figure a gun range with several boxes of ammo and loaded guns was not the place to have an argument.

Range day ruined, we just decided to head out for lunch.

-----

Funny that my glock-weilding friend who I think is bordering on fanboy-ism at times was the one who said, "fanboys really get on my nerves." there may be hope for him...

Sent from my 3M PostIt Note using Tapatalk

boylit
May 30, 2012, 01:59 AM
The quotes above are rough translations from our native Tagalog language.

Auto426
May 30, 2012, 03:16 AM
I agree with the others that the most annoying thing about Glocks is definitely the fanboys who bow down and worship the gun as if it's the be all end all of handguns.

But when it actually comes to the gun, they just don't work for me. I don't care for trigger safeties, the large blocky grips, or the very high cut on the backstrap that makes the gun point high in my hands. They are a sound design and Glock has some of the best quality control in the industry, as you rarely ever hear of malfunctioning gun from the factory (wish the same could be said for many U.S. manufacturers today). They are not perfect however, as the annoying marketing slogan the company uses would have you believe.

BlueTrain
May 30, 2012, 06:55 AM
Your comments could be said about guns that were introduced nearly a hundred years ago, even to include the trigger safety!

skoro
May 30, 2012, 07:35 AM
Fan-boy syndrome. "What I have is best and what you have is no good."

I don't own a Glock but I'm well aware of their fine reputation for reliability. There are lots of handguns I don't own, but few I'd slag on. What someone else chooses to shoot is their business and it sure doesn't affect my shooting. ;)

Pond, James Pond
May 30, 2012, 07:48 AM
Fan-boy syndrome. "What I have is best and what you have is no good."

This is what I was getting at, using Skoro's quote simply to illustrate my point.

People complain about the "fanboy" like it is a Glock only phenomenon, but I've read on here similar attitudes from S&W owners, Ruger owners, 1911 owners etc.
However, in those cases the "fanboy" slogan doesn't seem to be applied.

I'm sure there are some Glock zealots out there: no doubt about it, but I don't see why the same can't be said of other brands and why they are not subject to the same criticism....:confused:

Skans
May 30, 2012, 07:56 AM
1. Glocks are ugly.
2. Glocks have ugly plastic frames
3. The Glock trigger sucks in comparison to true SAO or even DA/SA guns
4. The Glock trigger dingus (safety) feels like crap
5. Recoil is somewhat snappy, even with 9mm
6. I find that I am not particularly accurate with a Glock.
7. There is no second strike capability
8. There is no external safety or decocker

I've owned and shot a Glock 17 for about 20 years. It is exceptionally reliable and exceptionally durable. Those are the only two good things (not at all insignificant by the way) that I have to say about Glocks.

So, throw me into the "Glock Hater" group and tar and feather me!

But, to be fair, I don't particularly like 1911's either..........another topic, another day, another rant.:)

boylit
May 30, 2012, 07:58 AM
This is what I was getting at, using Skoro's quote simply to illustrate my point.

People complain about the "fanboy" like it is a Glock only phenomenon, but I've read on here similar attitudes from S&W owners, Ruger owners, 1911 owners etc.
However, in those cases the "fanboy" slogan doesn't seem to be applied.

I'm sure there are some Glock zealots out there: no doubt about it, but I don't see why the same can't be said of other brands and why they are not subject to the same criticism....:confused:

In my case, it's because I haven't experienced other gun owners having the audacity to walk into a range bay uninvited and harass folks.

Sturmgewehre
May 30, 2012, 08:22 AM
1. Glocks are ugly.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think Glocks look great. Here's a shot of my two favorite polymer framed striker fired pistols.

http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/i-4XFJwsL/0/M/i-4XFJwsL-M.jpg

I see nothing ugly about either one of them.

2. Glocks have ugly plastic frames
Welcome to the 21st century. Polymer is the ideal compound to make firearm frames from. It's durable, light weight, and can be molded easily into complex shapes and keep the cost down. I prefer polymer over steel as many people do these days.

3. The Glock trigger sucks in comparison to true SAO or even DA/SA guns
Define suck. I am willing to bet I can hit every target you can hit with my G17 with it's factory trigger just as fast as you can hit it. The Glock trigger is about perfect for a pistol designed to operate without a manual safety. I like it to be right around 6-7 lbs for safety reasons.

4. The Glock trigger dingus (safety) feels like crap
Interesting, I never notice it when I'm shooting.

5. Recoil is somewhat snappy, even with 9mm
I find that to be a curious statement. Either you're extremely recoil sensitive or you're using +P+ ammo. I find the Glock to be extremely mild shooting as do many others who use them in competition. The polymer frame absorbs shock whereas a steel framed handgun passes straight along to the shooters hand.

6. I find that I am not particularly accurate with a Glock.
That's an issue with the shooter, not the gun. I have two handguns in this world I shoot ridiculously well - the 1911 and a G17.

7. There is no second strike capability
I would rather not have this capability, it's a good way to get yourself killed. Take a fighting pistol course, any course, and see how many instructors teach you to waste your time snapping the trigger on a dud round in a fight vs. racking the slide and getting the bad round out and a fresh round in. Second strike capabilities are great for pistols of questionable quality that have problems with light primer strikes but for a properly working pistol if you get a dud it's the round that's bad and it needs to go. Chances are a second strike isn't going to set a bad round off and you've just wasted precious time snapping your trigger when you should have been jacking your slide.

8. There is no external safety or decocker
Worthless devices that serve only to complicate a tool that should be as simple as possible given its purpose. There's a reason everyone has copied Glock's basic design, that's because it works and it's overwhelmingly preferred by people who carry guns for a living.

The point of my response isn't to bust your chops but to illustrate how people view features differently. I do believe everything I've said above though... and I do believe the polymer framed striker fired 9mm pistol is the best evolution of the fighting handgun so far invented. I won't say Glock is the best, but I will say their recipe is damn good because the most popular handguns out there are using it.

Pond, James Pond
May 30, 2012, 08:34 AM
In my case, it's because I haven't experienced other gun owners having the audacity to walk into a range bay uninvited and harass folks.

Fair enough.

I can totally see how and why that would have hacked you off and ruined your day: they were out of line...

Skans
May 30, 2012, 08:55 AM
1. You can write me a thesis on how the next space shuttle will be made out of high tech polymer, but I still think Glocks are ugly guns. You are free to think they look like a beautiful naked woman, if you like or whatever else might float your boat.

2. You like plastic. I don't. Just listing reasons why some people pick on Glocks, like the OP asked.

3. "Suck" (when it comes to triggers) means that it feels sloppier than a 1911, Hi-Power, 2nd Gen S&W, or even an EAA Witness trigger.

4. The trigger dingus bothers me; it bothers me a lot - it's one of the reasons I pick on Glocks, just answering the OP's question.

5. When I say the Glock feels snappy, I guess what I really mean is that I get noticeable muzzle flip and some twist to the right when I shoot it.

6. Obviously, when I said I am not very accurate with the Glock 17, I acknowledge that it is some combination of me and the gun that make my shots with the Glock not very accurate. I'm very accurate with an EAA Stock 10mm, most decent 1911's, Hi-Powers, Sigs, and a variety of other guns.....just not my Glock 17.

7. I would rather have second strike capability - it's an issue with me and a ding against the Glock and most striker fired guns.

8. You don't have to like external safeties - but, I like them. I have kids. And, I like decockers. Just a matter of opinion, that's all.

johnbt
May 30, 2012, 09:28 AM
I think the irritation with Glocks in general started with Glock's ad campaign - GLOCK PERFECTION - and how so many people bought into it and repeated it. Especially new - first time - gun owners.

Now it's fun to jerk their chain so they'll repeat the slogans. Sort of like a Chatty Cathy doll.

John

TunnelRat
May 30, 2012, 09:28 AM
The point of my response isn't to bust your chops but to illustrate how people view features differently. I do believe everything I've said above though... and I do believe the polymer framed striker fired 9mm pistol is the best evolution of the fighting handgun so far invented.

Sturm I think I see where you were going with this, though I think you might have gone a bit far. Some of your comments come off rather rude. Now if your argument is that the person you responded to was doing the same, that might be true. But responding to rudeness with rudeness isn't the solution.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion about what they want in a handgun. In the end it's a rather personal choice. I like what I like, and I couldn't give a rat's you know what about what other people think about it :D. In the same spirit I try not to judge what people choose for themselves. It's really none of my business and doesn't affect me in the slightest, so why should I care?

ScotchMan
May 30, 2012, 09:46 AM
I'm personally on a soul-searching quest to figure out if I like strikers or DA/SA more. What I know I don't like is that the Glock has absolutely nothing for me to "ride" when re-holstering. Most other striker-fired guns have an indicator on the back that I can put my thumb over, so if the trigger is being pulled I can feel it before the bang happens. That seems like one place Glocks could improve.

TunnelRat
May 30, 2012, 10:07 AM
I'm personally on a soul-searching quest to figure out if I like strikers or DA/SA more. What I know I don't like is that the Glock has absolutely nothing for me to "ride" when re-holstering. Most other striker-fired guns have an indicator on the back that I can put my thumb over, so if the trigger is being pulled I can feel it before the bang happens. That seems like one place Glocks could improve.

Scotch,
You could always try a LEM trigger at some point if you decide you like a consistent trigger pull but the visual indicator of the hammer.

I find myself in the same boat sometimes. I do like strikers, but I feel like using two different systems is a bad idea. Each has its own merits.

ScotchMan
May 30, 2012, 10:11 AM
Yeah. I *need* to try an LEM before buying one, and HKs are rare in my area. I found a P30 and a P2000 at our Gander Mountain, but neither were LEM. I am stopping by a LGS today that I dislike but is the best HK dealer in my area. Hopefully they have one.

Auto426
May 30, 2012, 10:12 AM
Your comments could be said about guns that were introduced nearly a hundred years ago, even to include the trigger safety!

And I'm not quite sure what that has to do with anything. Yes, there are guns other than Glock with features I don't like, and I don't care for those guns either. But that doesn't change the fact that Glock's have those features and I don't like them.

DFrame
May 30, 2012, 10:31 AM
"Glock Perfection" actually should read "Glock Adequate". They appeal to many people, but NOT to all. After carrying one for years I find many things about them I dislike. I have no intention of buying one.
My list of yuks:
Grip frame is too large to be small and too small to be big. I could NEVER find a comfortable grip on mine.
Magazines can't be trusted to drop free. I consider this a manufacturing defect. We had to modify training to physically PULL it from the gun
Magazine release is difficult to press in and VERY sharp.
"Red Ryder BB gun" trigger.
Magazines very difficult to load last few rounds into.
Angle of grip and lack of relief causes trigger ring to bash my middle finger in extended firing. At our initial training the factory rep just smiled and said "yeah that happens all the time".
Field stripping requires pulling the trigger which has resulted in untold numbers of accidental discharges.
BUTT UGLY.
Your opinions may vary!

Sturmgewehre
May 30, 2012, 10:50 AM
8. You don't have to like external safeties - but, I like them. I have kids.
While I can respect a difference in opinion and tastes (your other points), this particular item jumped out at me as particularly dangerous.

I would hope you're not depending on safeties to protect your children from discharging a firearm. It's faulty to assume your children can't figure out how to disengage a safety or that they're not strong enough or posses the dexterity to disengage one. If you're worried they can pull the trigger you better be worried they can disengage the safety.

Your best bet is to keep the firearm out of the reach of your children and/or teach them proper handling of a firearm. I don't see a manual safety as a selling point for child safety.

Tom Servo
May 30, 2012, 11:11 AM
Your best bet is to keep the firearm out of the reach of your children and/or teach them proper handling of a firearm. I don't see a manual safety as a selling point for child safety.
I hear this quite often as well when folks are making decisions on guns. Kids are smart. They'll figure out the safety in no time.

A manual safety is not an excuse for leaving the gun laying around.

Skans
May 30, 2012, 12:18 PM
Magazines can't be trusted to drop free. I consider this a manufacturing defect.

It's not a manufacturing defect. Glock magazines made for the American market drop free. Magazines made for the European market don't drop free. There are a bunch of older Glock magazines floating around out there that were made for the European market - I recall there being a lot of them around from the late '90's and early 00's. Of course, after the expiration of the AWB, large capacity mags are no longer an issue, and the new ones sold here are all "drop-free". Both drop-free and non-drop-free magazines work exactly as intended.

If you don't like manual safeties, then don't buy guns with manual safeties. I happen to like a manual safety that I can choose to use or not use. Grip safeties, on the other hand, should all be tossed in the can as they were simply a stupid government solution to a non-problem.:D

Tickling
May 30, 2012, 12:42 PM
Personally I find the vehement "Glock-Haters" far more annoying than the rabid "fan-boi's.." with exceptions of course. However both camps suffer from the short-sighted-ness of personal bias and disliking either camp is a poor and foolish reason, IMHO, for basing ones handgun preferences.

Magazines can't be trusted to drop free. I consider this a manufacturing defect. We had to modify training to physically PULL it from the gun

In my admittedly small sampling of Glocks I've never encountered this problem. In fact my G19 (Gen3), when held upside down will "bounce" an empty magazine halfway out when released (just tried it).

Otherwise I can't argue anything else you said as they're all matters of personal preference.

Pond, James Pond
May 30, 2012, 12:46 PM
Magazines made for the European market don't drop free.

I don't where you got this info but, in my experience, it is not the case.

I'm in Europe and all the Glocks I have handled or seen in action have all been drop-free.

I live in a small country and I am confident that Glock arenot shipping "US" style mags purely for this miniscule market...

5RWill
May 30, 2012, 01:17 PM
After shooting my glock and my M&P the other day I can honestly say I shoot the M&P better. I feel the same way skans does it seems no matter the load I can't control or counter the muzzle flip on my glock though it could be associated with my inexperience in handgun shooting. The M&P just fits much better. I also like the deep tang on the M&P I feel I have more control on muzzle flip. Granted the glock is in 45 and the M&P is in 40 so its somewhat of an unfair comparison. Still both are moderate recoiling rounds.

Roland Thunder
May 30, 2012, 01:38 PM
The punks that wear their pants around their thighs that just want to have them a "piece" usually ask to look at a Glock when they come in my LGS. I don't think they know anything about guns except they wanna have what they see on TV.

Skans
May 30, 2012, 01:41 PM
This should explain from The Glock FAQ:

"In his 1998 Glock Annual article entitled, "How To Become a Glock-Master!," Chuck Karwan states that the original Glock NDF-NFML magazines were designed to swell slightly when fully loaded -- thus preventing a fully-loaded magazine rom exiting the pistol if it were improperly seated or the mag catch accidentally engaged. The original G17 would drop a mag freely only after it contained 10 rounds or less. An empty mag did not always drop free without a little help by shaking the pistol.

Karwan goes on to state his preference for and laud this system because a fully-loaded or nearly fully-loaded mag would stay where it belonged -- in the pistol. Only when the mag was sufficiently empty to require a tactical reload would the mag drop free with ease. He asks, "What could be more logical?"

According to Mr. Karwan, Americans didn't appreciate the advantage of the Glock system because of the legacy of the 1911 pistol, where fully-loaded mags fall from the pistol when the mag button is pressed. In spite of the practical superiority of the Glock NDF-NFML mags, Americans (particularly police agencies) clamored for "drop-free" mags and Gaston Glock made them happy with the DF-FMLs. I might add that even the DF-FML mags don't always drop-free without some help. [JT]"

ScotchMan
May 30, 2012, 02:04 PM
My NFML pre-ban Glock 17 mags don't drop free from my gun in ANY state. It is easier to get them to come out when they are unloaded (they do swell a bit when loaded), but they don't drop free under any conditions.

Maybe this is my magazines to gun match, but that system is not working with my pre-ban mags.

zincwarrior
May 30, 2012, 02:13 PM
Because of the 1911? I don't have any magazine fed firearm where the mag doesn't drop free. Its an interesting view. I have had magazines on my Kimber come free slightly, but I'd still much prefer the "drop free" theory.

Hank15
May 30, 2012, 02:29 PM
Something worth mentioning:

Glocks (and well, any other polymer framed pistol) recoils a little more than steel/aluminum framed pistols as well.

Do a simple test: shoot a Glock 22 with just your dominant hand. Now shoot a 1911 (45 of course) with just your dominant hand.

TunnelRat
May 30, 2012, 02:34 PM
Do a simple test: shoot a Glock 22 with just your dominant hand. Now shoot a 1911 (45 of course) with just your dominant hand.

:confused: Why would you do this shooting two different calibers? Glock 22 is in 40 SW, which has more felt recoil to me than 45 ACP. Better test would be against a Glock 21.

pat701
May 30, 2012, 02:42 PM
Because they arn't Sigs.

AK103K
May 30, 2012, 02:48 PM
The first couple of Glocks I owned back in the mid 80's came with mags that pretty much worked as described by Skans FAQ. Mostly they fell out when empty, and they actually came out better with a few rounds left in them.

All the current Glock mags I have, factory and Korean, drop free in any state.

With my 1911's, I always checked function to make sure they would fall free. Just becasue its was a 1911 mag, wasnt a guarantee it would drop free. Colt and GI mags in Colt/GI guns always seemed to work without issue,"aftermarket" mags were another story.

Once everyone and their brother started making a 1911, I found even some of the GI mags would hang up in some guns.

Regardless what you use, you still have to prove the mags work.

In regards to the early Glock mags not dropping free when loaded, and adding some credence to their thinking, I had an HK P7M13 that would constantly drop its mag on the front seat of my truck. At the time, there were only a few holsters available for them, and they didnt cover the mag release. My seatbelt would hit the release while I was driving, dropping the mag while I was driving, or getting out.

ScotchMan
May 30, 2012, 02:57 PM
Because they aren't HKs.

Woops. Corrected both typos.

Single Six
May 30, 2012, 07:35 PM
Some people think that a manual safety is unnecessary. That's fine; I'm not one to insist that my personal preferences are what's best for everyone. However, I do think that Glock should offer a manual safety as an option for those of us who like them. Those who don't care for them could simply buy their Glocks without that particular feature. I disagree with the idea of relying on a manual safety as a child safety measure. However, as I've said before, there are hundreds of LEOs in this country that survived a disarming at the hands of violent offenders, because of the manual safety on their duty weapon. This is documented fact, and while it's certainly no guarantee, it's still one more safety net for us LEOs that I want on my side. Since Glock chooses to not offer this option, I don't whine about it, nor will I insult the guns, or those who choose to own them. I'll just accept that Glocks aren't for me, and quite contentedly stick with my manual-safety equipped DA/SA autos. To each their own.

Tickling
May 30, 2012, 07:41 PM
Because they arn't Sigs.

Blasphemy.

Glocker's! Get wood, torches and marshmallows! We will cleanse his soul with fire! :eek:

BGutzman
May 30, 2012, 08:35 PM
Part of it is its as vanillia of a gun as you can get... basic to the max.. which in and of itself isnt a bad thing but when you add a lot of attitude its a huge turn off to many.

Reliability touted as its stength and honestly after doing a little googling.. its certainly no more reliable than anything else...

Seems to be a company living off great press and little else.. and hey so be it others have done the same for years. Its no crime to be a gun company with a "ok" product.

RC20
May 30, 2012, 09:24 PM
Ahhh, let me count the ways.....

Ace_Breaker
May 30, 2012, 09:40 PM
It's all jealousy. Glock is the finest all around combat handgun out there. I duty carry mine by choice!

JohnKSa
May 30, 2012, 11:55 PM
I don't have any magazine fed firearm where the mag doesn't drop free. Its an interesting view.CZ actually adds a part called the "magazine brake" to the CZ-75 that prevents magazines from falling free. It was designed to prevent a soldier or LEO from losing a magazine when the magazine release is accidentally pressed either by an improper grip or while the gun is in the holster. The general idea is that taking extra half-second or two to reload is less of a penalty than finding out you have a single shot handgun because your mag release was accidentally activated in a struggle and your magazine magazine dropped out.

Hank15
May 31, 2012, 12:08 AM
Why would you do this shooting two different calibers? Glock 22 is in 40 SW, which has more felt recoil to me than 45 ACP. Better test would be against a Glock 21.

Very good point. My rationale was that a smaller cartridge recoils more in a Glock than a bigger cartridge in a 1911.

But I am sure you'll find that the Glock 21 recoils more than a 1911 as well.

MagnumWill
May 31, 2012, 12:27 AM
I'm not much of a Glock guy, but I'm warming to them. It's funny, my friend bought a Glock and I got a Colt 1911, I kind of dig the Glock (no way would I trade my Colt though) and he really wants a 1911 ;)

Come on guys... There's one Glock that would be hard to turn down, if it was available.... The 18C would get me every time :D

warningshot
May 31, 2012, 04:13 AM
Some people just can't stand the reliability. No. Really. I kid you not.

buckhorn_cortez
May 31, 2012, 05:24 AM
I just don't get Glocks or the proponents of Glocks whose every answer is -"Get a Glock."

You mean, Glocks are just inherently better than: H&K, SIG, M&P, XDm, CZ, or FN? I find that so far from reality to be laughable.

All you have to do is read the Glock forums to find out how many problems Glock owners have with their guns. They seem to suffer the same amount and variety of malfunctions that every gun has. In 100 years (if Glocks are still being made) - they'll be on GEN 30 of "Perfection" - and they'll still have the same amount of problems because they didn't get "Perfection" the first 29 times - and all guns malfunction no matter what the design.

Glocks are just another gun and that's about it. They make ONE design in a number of different sizes. I find that unremarkable at best.

There are too many other guns that work just as reliably that I would prefer owning for a number of reasons rather than a Glock.

BlueTrain
May 31, 2012, 05:39 AM
Chances are, a lot of people would like them better if they cost more. If nothing else, it would eliminate the complaint that they are cheap.

Cornbread
May 31, 2012, 06:44 AM
amprecon quote "I don't care what people say of Glocks, good or bad. I shoot the Glock 21 better and more naturally than any other handgun I've ever tried"
Out of the box hitting hitting the target. No adjusting for me or the gun. :confused:

zincwarrior
May 31, 2012, 06:53 AM
CZ actually adds a part called the "magazine brake" to the CZ-75 that prevents magazines from falling free. It was designed to prevent a soldier or LEO from losing a magazine when the magazine release is accidentally pressed either by an improper grip or while the gun is in the holster. The general idea is that taking extra half-second or two to reload is less of a penalty than finding out you have a single shot handgun because your mag release was accidentally activated in a struggle and your magazine magazine dropped out.

As I said its an interesting view. I'd prefer a better magazine release but I could see merit to the argument.

Sturmgewehre
May 31, 2012, 09:16 AM
I would agree that the Glock is no more reliable than other pistols out there - Glock clearly doesn't have the corner on the reliability market.

However, I find this statement to be interesting.

Glocks are just another gun and that's about it. They make ONE design in a number of different sizes. I find that unremarkable at best.

Have you not noticed the volume of handgun designs that clearly used Glock as their inspiration? The most popular handguns on the market clone features Glock complied into their original design. Many of the Glock features on their own aren't unique, however when combined they were quite revolutionary in the 1980's when the Glock first appeared. It was the most talked about handgun of the era and to this day companies are still copying the original Glock recipe.

While you find it "unremarkable", many would say it's the single most influential pistol to come out of the late 20th century.

Here are just a few of the pistols inspired by Glock:

Sigma - so much so S&W was sued by Glock
M&P
XD
Walter P99
Walther PPQ
SR9C
FNS
Caracal
Taurus 24/7 (and several others)

Glock can be called a number of things, but unremarkable isn't the term I would choose to describe them.

amd6547
May 31, 2012, 11:08 AM
The fact that all the different Glocks have identical operating characteristics is a big plus, not a negative.
I go from G26 subcompact to G30 compact to full sized G17 and they are identical...same trigger, same slide release and mag release.
While I own different platforms, and have shot for decades, I really like the commonality of the different Glocks.
They work for me. If others don't like them, I don't care. I do dislike the childish name calling, and the falsehoods spread by the haters.
I shoot Glocks accurately, mine have been 100% reliable, and I can afford them.
I even like how they look. The light weight and corrosion resistance is phenomenal for a working gun.
I would add that, contrary to a previous post, I find my G30 in 45acp to be just as soft shooting, if not more so than the various 1911's I have owned.
If you don't like Glocks, that's fine, choose your favorite and stop with the insults.

chadio
May 31, 2012, 01:10 PM
I don't pick on any pistol that isn't subject to "limp wrist" syndrome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9JhCyFFxA

Sturmgewehre
May 31, 2012, 05:03 PM
Many polymer framed pistols are subject to "limp wristing", especially the Glock. The Glock is one of the most sensitive pistols in terms of how it's held by the operator. I've seen more problems with shooter induced failures (limp wristing) with the Glock than any other pistol.

It's very shooter specific. I've met people that can't make any G17 run reliably and then I know people like myself that have to go to extremes in how I hold the pistol to cause failures - but try as I might with a proper hold I can't get a failure of any kind.

If you buy a Glock 17 or 19 for personal protection you MUST fire it extensively with the ammo you plan to carry in it before stepping out of the house with it on your side. If you have a problem with shooter induced failures, you don't want to find out at the moment of truth. New shooters, women and children are the most likely to have such failures.

The larger caliber Glocks are less susceptible to these types of failures - it's something that plagues the 9mm variants mostly.

chadio
May 31, 2012, 06:33 PM
Sturm, thanks for clarifying.

SIGSHR
May 31, 2012, 06:38 PM
I don't pick on the, I just don't care for them. I am a Steel and Walnut man, anything that doesn't have a steel frame doesn't interest me. I have fired 3 Glocks, don't like the trigger, the polymer frame, the whole feel of it.

Mystro
May 31, 2012, 06:59 PM
Glocks were revolutionary when they were introduced over 25 years ago but now there are much better polymer combat handguns like FN or HK. Glock's are cheap to buy, plentiful, and relatively unchanged. Their Blocky design is what it is. I own some but I will be the first to admit I have much more refined and just as reliable guns with much much better ergonomics. The "Glock or nothing" mentality is like saying "cornflakes or nothing". They just are not that cutting edge anymore now that the polymer world is so big.

OT...The FNS was NOT inspired by a Glock. There is nothing Glock like about it other than its a striker fire gun. Trigger, safety, barrel, riffeling, steel guide rod, frame design, sights, steel magazines, take down, etc.. They share nothing in common.

HKGuns
May 31, 2012, 07:53 PM
Since this is still going, much to my surprise, I'll only add that the main reason is because they're such an easy target.

johnbt
May 31, 2012, 08:27 PM
When your advertising campaign says, "Kick Me, I'm Perfect" I'd say you're an easy target.

tcfiero
May 31, 2012, 09:19 PM
Reading this and I could swear that I was reading a " The Iphone is better than Android phone or Android is better than Iphone" thread. I have tried several Glocks. I have never liked the feel of them. I have friends that use them every day and have no problems with them. I don't have a problem with Glocks just the fanboys.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DetSpec
May 31, 2012, 09:43 PM
"I don't hate them. I just seem to feel much better when they're not around."

5RWill
June 1, 2012, 12:43 AM
Very good point. My rationale was that a smaller cartridge recoils more in a Glock than a bigger cartridge in a 1911.

But I am sure you'll find that the Glock 21 recoils more than a 1911 as well.

I've shot the 21, 22, and now i have my M&P 40, also own the 21. And between the 21 and 22 the 21 has much more muzzle flip but isn't as snappy. The M&P 40 has less recoil than both IMO, but that could be subject to grip.

Strangely the other day i shot a 30 and it recoiled much less than my full size 21 i couldn't figure it out. It was much more comfortable to shoot though.

warningshot
June 1, 2012, 01:07 AM
I don't understand why must of the guys in tactical class shoot Glocks. HIIK. H if I know... But I will be sure to let them all know that they made the wrong pistol choice.

UnbearablePanda
June 1, 2012, 02:07 AM
Ak47 (glock) vs AR-15 (others) Pretty much the same exact argument. People pick on glock more because its easy. Same thing Gay vs Straight. Both are human yet people pick on the other person because he is human. Simple differences will pull each other towards a single side. Without comparing we cannot move foreword and create something better.

bw51
June 1, 2012, 09:29 PM
I like a girl with curves, too. Not really into girls with 45 degree angles :p

Seriously, I respect the hell out of glocks as function-over-form firearms, I just don't personally like them. I KNOW they are a quality firearm, they just never feel like it in my hand, and look awful. The vocal majority of glock owners seem always to be the first to recommend a glock over ANYTHING else to a new shooter. I like glocks a lot more than I like glock fanboys, and I think that might be where most of the "hate" comes from.

There's a silent majority of non-glock people like me who don't "hate" them, but certainly don't love them. If you love glock, go you! Just shut up about it already.

BGutzman
June 1, 2012, 09:36 PM
If nothing else, it would eliminate the complaint that they are cheap.

500 dollars for 50-75 dollars work of manufacturing and materials isnt cheap..

darrentxs
June 1, 2012, 11:45 PM
I named my dog Glock!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/huckmag/UGLIEST_DOG_BRITAIN.jpg

5RWill
June 2, 2012, 02:08 AM
Darren that was great...had me rolling.

amd6547
June 2, 2012, 05:35 AM
Time to close this one, Firing Line...adult discussion has sunken to childish displays and close minded entrenched belief systems not based on reality.

Sparks1957
June 2, 2012, 05:43 AM
...I respect the hell out of glocks as function-over-form firearms, I just don't personally like them. I KNOW they are a quality firearm, they just never feel like it in my hand...

Pretty much the way I feel about them too. Fine for those who like them, but don't feel you have to convert the rest of the world to your point of view if you do.

Mystro
June 2, 2012, 08:40 AM
...I respect the hell out of glocks as function-over-form firearms, I just don't personally like them. I KNOW they are a quality firearm, they just never feel like it in my hand...

That is probably the most respectful way of saying what most non Glock fans really feel. The problem comes from a lot of crazy Glock fans that can't accept that explanation and THAT is what puts a bullseye on them for hazing.

Sodbuster
June 2, 2012, 08:54 AM
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my bones whether a man has no Glock or 20 Glocks. (My apologies to T. Jefferson ;) )

UnbearablePanda
June 2, 2012, 02:35 PM
But, in all honesty glock is mostly referred to the "gang" weapon.

AK103K
June 2, 2012, 03:41 PM
But, in all honesty glock is mostly referred to the "gang" weapon.
You could say that. I got a gang of them myself. :)

amd6547
June 2, 2012, 03:50 PM
Tell the next cop or FBI agent you see that he has a "gang weapon".

UnbearablePanda
June 2, 2012, 03:58 PM
Well if you've ever seen or been to a black market. Glocks are the most frequently seen.

abber
June 2, 2012, 04:12 PM
I've never shot one, but I'm considering picking up a 20. It's a gun, and I looooove guns!:D

Microgunner
June 2, 2012, 04:17 PM
Because Gaston is an egotist who refuses to listen to his customers.
If he built a straight grip version of the Glock a lot more shooters would flock to the brand, but Gaston's ego tells him he is right and those who don't like it must be wrong.
Why in the world doesn't Glock offer their pistols both ways?

AK103K
June 2, 2012, 04:25 PM
Why in the world doesn't Glock offer their pistols both ways?
Why dont Colt, SIG, and any of the others offer them "both ways"?

It looks like Gaston isnt the only "egotist". ;)

BoogieMan
June 2, 2012, 04:29 PM

I dont like any plastic guns. To me a gun should be heavy and steel. I will also pick a walnut stock over a black gun any day. I prefer the feel and look of a 1911 or other metal gun. Glocks are reliable and many people can out shoot me with there glock -vs- my 1911. I also prefer Ford and girls that have a runners body. Prefer pork over lobster and raw tuna over anything else.
Go figure, we all have a preference. Thats why they make them all everyday.

Microgunner
June 2, 2012, 04:33 PM
Why dont Colt, SIG, and any of the others offer them "both ways"?

Colt does, arched main spring housing or flat main spring housing.
SIG does, standard grip or E2 grip.
Where have you been?

AK103K
June 2, 2012, 04:50 PM
Where have you been?
I guess the same place as you. Glock makes an changeable backstrap now too, but I guess that doesnt count. :rolleyes:

Still, none of them mimic the other, so here we are back at square one.

9mm
June 2, 2012, 04:55 PM
Glock has a nice plastic feeling. M&P line doesn't, I think their plastic is cheap feel. IMO don't hate!

Microgunner
June 2, 2012, 04:56 PM
I guess the same place as you. Glock makes an changeable backstrap now too, but I guess that doesnt count.

Have you tried it? I have, it doesn't work. I can't tell one back strap from another.
BTW, I've owned two Glocks and wanted to like them.
Just couldn't get past the ergonomics, not when there's plenty of quality pistols out there with ergonomics I do like.

AK103K
June 2, 2012, 05:08 PM
Have you tried it?
No, I have no need, as I find the original angle to be fine. Just like I find Colts angle to be fine, and SIG's, HK's, S&W's, etc.

Any of them are quality pistols, well, any of the "originals" anyway. Ergonomics are just a matter of using them enough to know them.

Microgunner
June 2, 2012, 05:14 PM
Ergonomics are just a matter of using them enough to know them.

Said the size 12 shoe to the size 10 foot.

AK103K
June 2, 2012, 05:24 PM
Point taken, to a point. ;)

ScotchMan
June 4, 2012, 08:06 AM
The backstraps on the Gen4 series are not meant to alter the grip angle, which is what you guys are talking about. They make the trigger reach larger or smaller. With no backstrap it is identical to the SF series. With the medium, it is equivalent to a Gen3. With the large one, there is +2mm added to the size of the grip.

The angle is the same (18 degrees if I remember right) on all of them.

chadio
June 6, 2012, 12:16 PM
Would encourage anyone (military, ex-military, or not) to wonder why our armed forces have stuck with the M9, 1911, and P226 (well - maintained, un-modified guns shooting manufacturer - specified, factory loaded ammo).

Not saying they are perfect for every man or every situation, but they have kept my faith during my military and civilian existence.

zincwarrior
June 6, 2012, 12:48 PM
Cost.

carprivershooter
June 6, 2012, 01:00 PM
I don't hate glocks, I have never held a glock, I own 2 XD 9s and have owned a XD40 and XD 45. I like my XD 9, I don't love it. I don't drive a Chevy or dodge truck I don't hate them I may not like the style or the raddles or cheap interors. I drive a Ford because I get it below dealer cost and have never had a problem with any of my ford trucks, I did with a Chevy. Hate is a strong word as is love. I love my wife and children and grandkids I like my guns and truck. We buy our guns and trucks based on what WE like or what someone suggests or based on our own research. I try to buy American when I can. 99% of my guns are steel and american made. but thats just me.

insaneranger
June 6, 2012, 01:05 PM
Why do people pick on glock?

I think the attitude of many (not all) glock owners about their pistol turns a lot of people against them. If someone says, "I don't like HK, Beretta, SIG, etc..." most guys shrug it off as just an opinion & life goes on, but the minute someone says something negative about glock, all hell breaks loose and everybody gets defensive and insulting. Are they terrible guns? Of course not. Are they the best? Not by a long shot. I've got an SR9 with well over 4,000 rounds and a Beretta Cougar .45 with about the same and zero problems of any kind out of both. No one could ever convince me that a glock is better than either of these pistols so it comes down to opinion more than anything. I also have several other Berettas, a SIG, & a USP 45 and have never had a single problem out of any of them either. Shoot what you like & have fun. ;)

Crow Hunter
June 6, 2012, 01:33 PM
Unfortunately due to collectivist indoctrination from public schools and marketing American's have an unwavering belief that their brand is "right" and everyone else is wrong. Even to the point of demonstrating their "individualism" buying a brand that the "I am an individualist" collective promotes. :rolleyes:

Combine this with America's collective "rooting for the underdog" mindset and you can see why when any company becomes dominant, people will attempt to tear it down and or do something to show how cool they are for not being "Mainstream". It is American nature, it is what we do. (see Microsoft vs Apple, now Apple vs others, etc)

From an ergonomical standpoint, everyone is NOT made the same, contrary to what most people think. Guns that work well for some people will not work well for others. My brother and I are a case in point. When he makes a fist, locks his wrist and points, his fist is closer to vertical versus the horizon, while mine has a pronounced forward rake. Glocks point very high for him. He does much better with his Sig than he does a Glock. When I use a Sig, I point very low. I can't even see the front sight most of the time, unless I correct my grip.

That being said. Glock did a very good job of getting it "good enough" for most people. (I find that somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of the people I help choose a gun have a more forward rake).

In my experience, new shooters will shoot better with and get to a higher performance standard faster with a Glock than just about any other centerfire gun that I have played with because of the low bore axis, softer recoil, simple trigger pull, etc.

That being said, I don't think they are the best gun out there for a 1st gun and I don't recommend them unless I know they are have previous firearms experience and know the fundamentals.

From the perspective of Glock. They sell every firearm they can make right now and some points have production back ordered for months there is little impetus for them to change.

I for one wish they would offer a factory safety like M&P and modified contour replaceable back straps so that they are more adaptable for different people.

TunnelRat
June 6, 2012, 01:39 PM
In my experience, new shooters will shoot better with and get to a higher performance standard faster with a Glock than just about any other centerfire gun that I have played with because of the low bore axis, softer recoil, simple trigger pull, etc.

I disagree. I've seen plenty of new shooters with SIGs that pick them up and start shooting well with them very fast. I'd say the speed by which a person picks up shooting is determined by their inherent ability and by the quality of their instruction. The gun, while not immaterial, is a distant third. Again, IMO.

Crow Hunter
June 6, 2012, 02:36 PM
I disagree. I've seen plenty of new shooters with SIGs that pick them up and start shooting well with them very fast. I'd say the speed by which a person picks up shooting is determined by their inherent ability and by the quality of their instruction. The gun, while not immaterial, is a distant third. Again, IMO.

I disagree with you too.:D I do agree with you on the importance of ability and instruction.

In my experience ranked worst initial performance to highest:

DAO Semi < DA revolver < DA/SA Auto < SA Auto (BHP quicker than 1911) < Glock/M&P

In my younger days I had several of each and I had quite a few friends who had very little handgun experience. They would tell me that they had decided to get a gun and they wanted to know what I thought.

I would them over and let them choose the gun they liked the best and let them start shooting. Almost every one of them shot the Glock better the 1st time they fired it than they did any of the other guns. Many of them shot better even after owning some other type and they just wanted to try some of my guns and use up my ammo. (It was cheaper back then and I wasn't married :D)

By the time they finished shooting, most of them vastly preferred the Glock. Except my brother, he shot the 1911 WAY better. (M&P wasn't available then)

I was one of the best Glock salesmen in my area and I didn't work at a gunshop.;)

I am also talking about less than 50 people that I have helped in the backyard. Someone who does it for a living might see different results.

I also had a fairly high % of women in my sampling. ;):D:p

TunnelRat
June 6, 2012, 02:50 PM
Your ranking to me is kind of funny, because I learned to shoot on a revolver, and I'm a young kid of 25 :). I can see new shooters liking Glocks, though it's more the fact that it's a striker fired pistol than that it's a Glock in particular ;). Newer shooters have a tendency to be unsteady in their trigger pulls so the shorter the pull the better, hence something like a Glock is popular. That said the friends I have introduced to shooting have done very well with DA/SA autos when shooting in SA. That DA pull is very hard for new shooters. When I take someone shooting at first I guess I just more introduce them to it, not so much "train" them, so my view is more layman than others.

I will say my personal opinion is that learning to shoot DA/SA first is a good option. Does it take some more time? Yup. But, and I might "annoy" (why is the other word censored?) some people off with this, I believe if you can shoot a DA/SA semiauto you can easily shoot a striker safe-action type pistol, while the reverse isn't true.

Crow Hunter
June 6, 2012, 03:07 PM
That said the friends I have introduced to shooting have done very well with DA/SA autos when shooting in SA. That DA pull is very hard for new shooters.

Well now you are cheating. ;)

When I did it, I would show them how to load the gun, operate the switches/levers/buttons then take them to the shooting line. (A tree in the back yard)

Hand them the loaded weapon with 5 or 6 rounds and have them shoot from a ready condition. (ie. Hammer down on DA guns, C&L on SA guns)

Now most people that "taught" could shoot a revolver MUCH better than anything else. But only in single action. I think that was because of the suprise break, that 686+ I used to have had a SWEET trigger on it. You pretty much just thought about pulling the trigger and it would fire.

I made sure they tried the guns as they would be in a safe carry position. If they chose to do something else on their own time, it wasn't because I told them to do it. :)

Ps. I learned to shoot on a revolver too.

TunnelRat
June 6, 2012, 03:11 PM
Well now you are cheating.

Like I stated, I wasn't "training" them, I was just introducing them to shooting. I still had them shoot DA to show them what it was like. But we were there to have fun.

When I did it, I would show them how to load the gun, operate the switches/levers/buttons

So did I.

I made sure they tried the guns as they would be in a safe carry position. If they chose to do something else on their own time, it wasn't because I told them to do it.

I never encouraged them to carry in a non-safe fashion. :rolleyes:

Crow Hunter
June 6, 2012, 03:33 PM
I never encouraged them to carry in a non-safe fashion.

I wasn't implying that you did. I apologize if you thought I was.

All the people that came to me wanted to know what kind of gun they should get for home defense and/or concealed carry so I had them use the guns the way they should be deployed.

I didn't want them to get the idea for instance that the S&W 686 was a good gun for them because they could shoot well in single action but couldn't even hit the paper in DA. I wanted them to take that factor into their deliberation on what was best for them.

I had one friend who really liked the 686+ (wanted to buy it from me) but he only shot it in SA, he couldn't hit the paper on DA. I told him that really wasn't safe. He disagreed with me, he felt that he could just cock the gun anytime he drew it.

So the next time I loaded it for him I only put 1 live round in it, the rest were already fired rounds. After he fired the 1st shot and thumbed the hammer back. I yelled really loud behind him. He dropped the hammer. I asked him if he were willing to take on that liability, especially if he was cocking the hammer before anything actually happened.

I don't know what his final choice of gun was, but I hope it made him think.

TunnelRat
June 6, 2012, 03:58 PM
I had one friend who really liked the 686+ (wanted to buy it from me) but he only shot it in SA, he couldn't hit the paper on DA. I told him that really wasn't safe. He disagreed with me, he felt that he could just cock the gun anytime he drew it.

Ahh, now I get you, sorry for misinterpreting :). And yes I completely agree, if you're going to carry/own a pistol that is designed for the first shot to be in DA, then you NEED to be able to shoot it in that fashion.

When I first shot my friend's SIG, which is an older one that had a ~ 12 lb trigger, I had girly hands and by the time I pulled the trigger my hand was shaking a bit. :o I actually devoted time to using grip exercisers, every day and I still do, to build up the strength in my hands to where that first pull is comfortable. As a side effect I almost find a lot of triggers to be too light for me personally because I expect that hard first pull, then let out to the reset and fire again. I don't notice the heavy pull as a result of that training, but others definitely do.

I've owned Glocks, XDs, XDMs, M&Ps, and PPQs. In all cases but the M&P multiples of each. I just prefer the DA/SA setup. My wife, who doesn't like shooting centerfire that much and shoots 1/4 of the time I do, actually loved the M&P. For her the consistent trigger pull was just what she wanted.

AK103K
June 6, 2012, 04:50 PM
If you take a little time and learn to shoot revolvers (and some autos) DAO, it will pay you dividends, and everything else becomes pretty much a breeze to shoot. It takes less time than you might think too.

I think most of the complaints about the different types of triggers comes from those who havent bothered to learn any thing but what they are reasonable with. Since they arent good with the others, then the others are of course "crap".

HKGuns
June 6, 2012, 05:59 PM
If you take a little time and learn to shoot revolvers (and some autos) DAO, it will pay you dividends, and everything else becomes pretty much a breeze to shoot. It takes less time than you might think too.

I think most of the complaints about the different types of triggers comes from those who havent bothered to learn any thing but what they are reasonable with. Since they arent good with the others, then the others are of course "crap".

Yep. Couldn't have said it better myself. When I hear trigger complaints anymore I shake my head and chalk it up to a new shooter or a gLoCker who has little to no experience with anything other than gLoCk.

TunnelRat
June 6, 2012, 08:30 PM

Yup, just like I said above. I find some people aren't willing to wait to get to that point though. They just want to be good with it right off the bat and not have to work at it. For me working at it is the best part :).

5RWill
June 6, 2012, 08:48 PM
Well my first handgun was a glock that my father and I split. I jumped to conclusion too fast, but i'm glad he has something to carry in the truck on the road. I like shooting it but fact of the matter is i don't shoot it that well. I shoot my M&P better. I got tiny hands as well, also dislike that the glock doesn't have that deep exaggerated tang.

jedi391
June 7, 2012, 11:10 PM
Crowhunter, the first half of your post dealing with consumerism and brand was probably the single best post on the subject I had ever read but I have to disagree with a small part of the second half. I think the forward rake of the Glock is less likely to fit most people's hands then it is to work well, that's why no other handgun/or rifle manufacturer for that matter uses anything close to it. For most people I've seen use it they have to learn the grip. It doesn't come naturally like an M&P/1911/HK45 will for *most* people. Of course for people who it will fit, it's like a Godsend, and with some work you can certainly learn it. I think of people who's hands naturally fit Glocks as being analogous to lefties, allot of them out there but still a decided minority.

I would agree that a new shooter will shoot a Glock better then many other guns but as someone said above that is due to it being a striker fired gun more then because it's a Glock. When my agency went to S&W M&P's virtually everyone I talked to who carried a hammer fired gun (1911's included) saw their scores rise. With Glock shooters it seemed about 50% actually realized they shot the M&P better and 50% still said they shot their Glock's better. Curiously to me some kept carrying the Glock even if the M&P shot better for them. Previous to my M&P experience I shot primarily Sig 226 .40, HK USP .45 and 1911's. I found that I still shot the HK USP .45 the most accurately but I was a tad faster on the draw and first 2 shots with the M&P .40 and since the first two shots are the most important in my line of work, I now carry the M&P. Brand and style go flying right out the door if it might make the difference between getting home to my wife and kids and the alternative.

I prefer M&P due to the way it fits my hand with the medium backstrap, but I know others who prefer the Glock. Personally I feel the M&P .40 is the more reliable platform as it hasn't had the feed issues the G22 has, particularly with a WML. In 9mm I think the G17 is the better platform as the M&P's accuracy in the 9mm variety seems inconsistent. Interesting that the Glock, which was developed as a 9mm seems to do better in that caliber and the M&P which was developed in .40 seems to do better in that caliber. Across the entire line I'd say they're equal in quality and you should get the one that fits you better.

Is Glock the best gun out there? For some people yes, for some it's the M&P, or a Sig, or an HK and so on. Personally I think the best quality gun maker is HK, but I know others who swear by Wilson or Ed Brown or Glock. The reason *SOME* Glock owners <irritate> people is because they think Glock is the best and if you don't agree they get emotional and hostile. I'll tell you I think HK is the best followed by M&P but if you don't agree I don't get offended and mad at you. I honestly think the answer is different for different people. I have a buddy who is a Glock only handgun owner because it's the gun he shoots consistently the best, for him it is the best gun out there and he based that on its performance in his hands, so as far as he goes it is the best handgun out there and in his case he's right.

silvermane_1
June 8, 2012, 02:44 AM
remember folks glock is the only pistol that can handle a .50.G.I. conversion, with that said what is there to hate, even though i don't own a glock, but if i find one thats been converted to the .50 G.I. for a reasonable price i would buy it.

Burner
June 8, 2012, 04:22 AM
breaking one of the rules of safety (I fall into that camp)
Do you concealed carry with a loaded chamber? If so, your holstered and loaded weapon has probably flagged a few people.

But it was okay because it is a weapon with mechanical safeties and the trigger isolated by a holster.

See where I'm going with this?

Crow Hunter
June 8, 2012, 07:29 AM
Crowhunter, the first half of your post dealing with consumerism and brand was probably the single best post on the subject I had ever read but I have to disagree with a small part of the second half.

Thank you. :D

When my agency went to S&W M&P's virtually everyone I talked to who carried a hammer fired gun (1911's included) saw their scores rise.

That is probably because they were most used to shooting guns with a more vertical rake and/or they had a more vertical grip. My brother is like that. He shoots his M&P & Sig 226 much better on average than I do. I can beat him with his 226 every once in a while. Now when we go with me using a Glock vs his M&P or P226, I usually clean his clock. ;)

My unscientific survey of people I have helped seem to have a more forward rake to the grip by nearly a 3 to 1 ratio.

You should ask a bunch of the guys/girls that you know to hold a pencil in their fist then point with their index finger with their wrist locked. Then measure how far forward the pencil leans. It may be that alot of the guys that you work with have more vertical grips. I have noticed that guys who are larger and more muscular tend to have a closer to vertical grip. (I am neither :o)

One other thing that I have noticed is anytime I try something new. I do really good the 1st or 2nd time I shoot it because I pay more attention to the fundamentals. (I can usually shoot someone elses gun better than mine at the range :eek:) But long term, I usually perform better with Glock when I factor in everything other than just accuracy. (Draws, weak hand, NSRs, retention shooting, etc.)

I like trying new things. Particularly shooting someone elses gun and ammo:D

that's why no other handgun/or rifle manufacturer for that matter uses anything close to it.

I know off the top of my head that Luger & Ruger MK 1-3 series do. The Steyr & Caracal might have an even steeper rake. I think most of the Olympic free style guns are also highly forward raked. I think the AR pistol grip has a fairly forward grip angle, I know I have held one that had a "1911 style" grip and it felt really weird to me, but I have never measured it. I might check that when I get home tonight. :D

From the "lore" that I have heard, Glock did an ergonomic study of the average Austrian Army recruit and chose that grip angle based on his results. I have no idea if that is true or not.

I honestly think the answer is different for different people.

I agree 100%. People should try out one of everything under the tutelage of someone who can show them proper holds and safety and choose the gun that performs the most naturally for them.

coop2564
June 8, 2012, 10:33 AM
Ugly, plastic. I'm sure they are fine guns, they are other fine guns that suit me better and look much nicer. I've shot them, just cant get past the look and plastic.

ScotchMan
June 8, 2012, 12:25 PM
See signature below.

insaneranger
June 8, 2012, 03:13 PM
remember folks glock is the only pistol that can handle a .50.G.I. conversion, with that said what is there to hate, even though i don't own a glock.

I don't know where that logic came from. (Just more glock koolaid I guess) The .50 GI works with similar pressures as the .45 acp. & they've been converting 1911's for years. There are lots of pistols that will easily handle the .50 GI conversion. Guncrafter's Industries make the kits for glock because they're "popular", NOT because they're the toughest. That's why you must change the barrel, slide, & recoil assebly for the glock conversion. I wouldn't be surprised to see this conversion for XD's, SIG, & HK in the future, that is, if the .50 GI ever picks up popularity. Remember what a flop 45 GAP became because of the high price?

Winchester_73
June 8, 2012, 03:15 PM
Glock should make revolvers

coldbeer
June 8, 2012, 04:01 PM
I like Glocks but some of their supporters are a little too enthusiastic to say the least. I call it the Iphone mentality, some Iphone users I know think their iphone is the best and everything else sucks and is a ripoff of the iphone. I have a friend who thinks the same thing about his Glocks. They're the only guns he'll buy and he pretty much hates on everything else. He also thinks every non 1911 autoloading pistol is a Glock knockoff which I find amusing.

PH/CIB
June 8, 2012, 11:17 PM
I currently own over 20 handguns and have owned probably over fifty handguns including five Glocks. At first I could not stand the looks of the Glocks or the triggers, but after buying a few and shooting a few I really warmed up to them.

Actually the first polymer frame handgun was I believe the HKP9S, which I own and it is a great handgun, great trigger extremely accurate as is my HKP7M8.

I also own Walthers P38, P5Compact, P88 and Sig,,,P210-6, P239, Trailside, etc. and Lugers and Browning High Powers etc. etc. etc....

The Glock is not the best pistol I own,,,but it is far and away the best ALL AROUND pistol I own,,,cheaper than most,,,lighter than most a fully loaded Glock will weigh less than an empty 1911,,,same trigger pull for each shot,,,no safety to forget to take off in a gunfight,,,higher magazine capacity than most,,,combat reliable,,,and very accurate at least for me...for concealed carry or combat why should I take a $2000 dollar handgun and beat it up when I can beat up a $500 Glock which will probably get the job done better anyway.

In this World you will never get everyone to agree on everything and it would be very boring if you did,,,and anything successful will have it's detractors whether valid or not.

gator1gear
June 9, 2012, 10:23 AM
My problem is not with Glock. THEY RUN GREAT! My problem is with the fans of Glock. I don't like the grip angle, and instead of accepting that, I had "fans" tell me why it's so much better than every other grip angle out there and I should try to get used to it. Why would I do that if I can find something else that fits my needs.

I've owned Sigs, Xds,etc that have been just as reliable as any Glock I own (yes, I have two) but the fans will have me believe that they're inferior, but can't tell me why. Heck I have a Bersa .40UC that has upward of 4,000 rounds through it without a SINGLE malf of ANY kind. My Glock buddies has deemed it junk. For me, it's the fans...and the fact that it doesn't feel natural in my hand.:D

Garysy
June 10, 2012, 10:06 AM
Mostly cause they pick on us.

iamdb
June 10, 2012, 11:08 AM
I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. :rolleyes:

Tactical Jackalope
June 11, 2012, 12:37 AM
People just started hating because of how good they did so quickly..

TunnelRat
June 11, 2012, 12:40 AM
If people are picking on Glock they are doing a poor job, cause their sales sure don't seem too affected.

Tactical Jackalope
June 11, 2012, 12:50 AM
If people are picking on Glock they are doing a poor job, cause their sales sure don't seem too affected.

Exactly, it's just that bug where people want to go against what's popular because it's popular. They can deny it all they want. A bunch of them never even shot them before. A bunch have and legitimately don't like them. Either way, the hate side is more passionate than the like side. Weirdos..

Tickling
June 11, 2012, 01:02 AM
I don't always shoot my Glock. But when I do, I hide it if anyone else comes to the range. :D

People are usually proud of what they have/own. There's all kinds of kool-aid, why does Glock's have to be poisonous? :confused:

zincwarrior
June 11, 2012, 06:31 AM
ctly, it's just that bug where people want to go against what's popular because it's popular. They can deny it all they want. A bunch of them never even shot them before. A bunch have and legitimately don't like them. Either way, the hate side is more passionate than the like side. Weirdos..

Maybe this is a good example of why there is Glock hate? ;)

Beentown71
June 11, 2012, 07:34 AM
Maybe this is a good example of why there is Glock hate? ;)

Yep, proved the point! Glock "perfection" doesn't help either.

Glock is the gun you start with because you hear "Glock" referenced for all guns. Then you refine your tastes ;)

One area I believe Glock lives up to the fanboi hype is reliability which is the best trait to have IMHO.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Cornbread
June 11, 2012, 07:39 AM
Here is something to stir the pot a little as if it needs it. There is something in this article for the lovers and the haters. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41046787/ns/business-world_business/t/americas--year-love-affair-glocks/
Here is a quote for the lovers :
“For a company that has been doing business in the United States for only a quarter century — one of its competitors has been in business in America since 1852 — Glock has been remarkably successful. Glock declines to provide specific sales figures, but the company is the leader in handgun sales to American police departments.” :D
Here is one for the haters:
"As Bloomberg BusinessWeek reported in an excellent 2009 story on Glock, the company's success might also be due to some questionable business practices." :eek:

BlueTrain
June 11, 2012, 08:52 AM
Questionable business practices? I've never heard that said about any company that actually made something. Now if you're talking about a company that does nothing but trade other people's money, well, everything is questionable.

Besides, twenty-five years sounds like a long time to me sometimes.

chadio
June 11, 2012, 01:33 PM
... umm, that is a bit of a bold statement. I can appreciate Glock's influence on handgun design and their elegant simplicity, but - they are definitely NOT the last word in handgun design, as their advertising slogan might lead one to believe.

insaneranger
June 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
People just started hating because of how good they did so quickly..

Yeah...they're awesome...I'm totally jealus...:rolleyes:
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/garyl_t/glockkaboom.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/garyl_t/Glockfail2.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/garyl_t/glock21kb1sh.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/garyl_t/glock4.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab255/garyl_t/Glock02s.jpg

Tactical Jackalope
June 11, 2012, 01:59 PM
Insaneranger...are you a child? Really? I can Google images too of any gun with a kaboom issue. XD. SIG. Hk. 1911. What are you trying to prove? You know how to use a search engine under the terms of "seek and you shall find"? Grow up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

insaneranger
June 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
Insaneranger...are you a child? Really? I can Google images too of any gun with a kaboom issue. XD. SIG. Hk. 1911. What are you trying to prove? You know how to use a search engine under the terms of "seek and you shall find"? Grow up.

TOUCHY, TOUCHY...I think you just proved the point I made in post #181...http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5106287&postcount=181

Tactical Jackalope
June 11, 2012, 02:17 PM
Lol so lame. Btw. My colt and SIG 226 are my favorites. Just saying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

BlueTrain
June 11, 2012, 02:33 PM
What does it say on the barrel in the second photo, Mr. insaneranger?

aarondhgraham
June 11, 2012, 02:39 PM
If you don't love them,,,
You love to hate them.

Aarond

Pond, James Pond
June 11, 2012, 02:40 PM
Yeah...they're awesome...I'm totally jealus...

Interestingly, in at least 20% of the KB pictures offered in the quoted post, the barrels were not actually Glock originals...

WVsig
June 11, 2012, 02:46 PM
If you don't love them,,,
You love to hate them.

I do not necessarily agree with this. I own a G19 and have also owned a G17. I have shot others extensively. I am indifferent towards Glocks. I own G19 because I consider it the benchmark for poly semi-compact guns. For me it is the jack of all trades master of none.

It is a hi capacity, light, accurate, concealable 9mm that flat out runs. It is not the #1 pistol in any of those categories if we were looking for best in class but as a total package it is very good.

Glocks are affordable. Paid about $400 for mine. I can use it as a tool. I do not care what it looks like. I do not care if it gets scratched. It does not care what lube I use it does its part.

What more can I ask for out of a $400 gun? I guess I would like it more if it had a soul. They are soulless piece of plastic. It does not have the character of the 1911 or a BHP but it gets the job done. It certainly does not move me but the more I shoot it the more I appreciate it for what it is. It is a great utilitarian tool.

dos0711
June 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
Haters are gonna hate.

Mal H
June 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
... and threads like this eventually come to an end.