PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger SR9c & LC9 range reports

stantheman1976
May 26, 2012, 04:41 PM
After plotting and planning for a long time I was finally able to buy both the pistols I wanted from Bud's last week. After a 5 day wait for e-check processing they were here in 2 days.

I had never actually fired either of them but I had read almost every review and watched almost every video available online about both.

So I took both out today and put about 150 rounds through the SR9c and somewhere around 75 through the LC9. I would have shot more but I ran out of time. I used Winchester white box and Federal along with a partial box of Tul Ammo that only went into the SR9c.

I cleaned both pistols beforehand but I think I may have actually overdone it. I used an all in one cleaner/lubricant I got at the gun show this past weekend and out of not knowing any better I sprayed a bit on after I had cleaned and wiped all the parts so oil was visible on the guns. I did a thorough cleaning on both again today without overdoing it on the lubricant.

I shot the SR9c first and the very first round I had a light primer strike. I was using the 17 round clip. I finished the clip and put the round back in and it fired the second try. I had 1 more light strike in the second or third clip but no hiccups after that. I believe the combination of improper cleaning and newness of the gun caused both. 2 of my friends shot it also with no problems. It seems to shoot little bit to the left so I need to adjust the sights. I thought the pistol came with a tool for adjusting it but I don't know if I lost it or it was never there. The feel of the gun is great. My hand is very normal size, not large but not small. It feels great in my hands. The 10 round clip with the pinky extension gives just enough room to grip comfortably and the 17 round mag with the spacer makes it even easier to hold. I also love the speed loader it comes with. It makes loading so much easier. The trigger feels great as well. Nice and easy to pull and breaks clean.

The LC9 is a fantastic little gun also. I didn't have any failures out of the rounds I shot today. I put a Hogue grip on it which makes it really nice to hold and shoot. The pinky extension makes it easy and comfortable to hold. The sights seem to be pretty much dead on. I was able to hit the bulls eye and stay near it. I was not measuring my distance but stayed roughly within 10-20' of the target. The trigger pull is very long and it definitely takes getting used to. It took me a few clips before I got comfortable with it. The triggers between the SR9c and LC9 are night and day.

Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase. I plan to put about 250 rounds through each before I trust them 100% but I'm fairly confident in both. I purposely bought them at the same time in case there is an issue with one I can send it back and still have one to carry.

Marquezj16
May 27, 2012, 07:30 AM
Congrats on your new pistols! I've shot my friends SR9c and we never had a problem with it. I own a LC9 and it has been flawless for me.

Buckeye4255
May 27, 2012, 10:29 AM
Have about 700 rounds through my SR9c and it's worked perfect. Enjoy!!!!

donato
May 27, 2012, 02:40 PM
@ stantheman

Look at the primers on the empty casings. Is the firing pin/striker hitting the primers about center, or are the hits fairly far off center?

On the light hits, do you get any shallow dimples on the primers or nothing at all?

ponchsox
May 27, 2012, 02:48 PM
I'm glad you like the LC9. I hated the trigger and sold mine for a Shield.

stantheman1976
May 27, 2012, 03:07 PM
There was an indentation on the rounds but not as deep as it should have been. I didn't pay close attention to how centered it was though. I'm going out again in a while to shoot it some more and I'll report back.

stantheman1976
May 27, 2012, 07:12 PM
Well I shot a good hundred rounds or so of WWB and Federal and had no issues. I'm fairly confident that it will go bang every time I pull the trigger from now on.

TunnelRat
May 27, 2012, 07:15 PM
Well I shot a good hundred rounds or so of WWB and Federal and had no issues. I'm fairly confident that it will go bang every time I pull the trigger from now on.

Some hard primers are likely to be expected in range ammo. If it keeps happening it might be worth noting. Self defense ammo is usually a step above in quality and should go bang every time.

cetanner
May 31, 2012, 11:26 AM
I have a SR9c that I use for CC and until recently as my range gun. I purchase my ammo at the range I use. It is often Blazer or Federal. I have fired over 1000 rounds with the SR9C. I use the 10 round magazine only. The 17 is uncomfortable for CC. I have never had a jam, light strike or any other form of FTF. Maybe I have been lucky.